1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

The Veil Brewing (2019)

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by TomCat11, Feb 27, 2019.

1. TomCat11

TomCat11 Devotee (461) Jul 21, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Looks like our previous thread got locked down due to the new format guidelines for 2019 so here's the start of the new one.

[​IMG]

Available on Saturday, March 2nd at the downtown Morganton tasting room is our very first foray into the deep dark world of thicccccc stouts.
    ...for the share is a double mashed thic stout brewed in collaboration with our good pals from The Veil of Richmond, Virginia.
    There will be two variants of this extra awesome stouty stout.
    - One was aged on ceylon cinnamon sticks and cacao nibs from our friends Videri Chocolate of Raleigh, North Carolina.
    - The other was aged on whole vanilla beans and toasted Appalachian-grown black walnuts.
    Draught will also be available but very limited. Bottle count in these babe are very low. No sleeping on this one y’all.
    ...for the share will see absolutely zero distribution.

Thirst_trappist likes this.
  2. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Aspirant (246) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Trader

Fonta flora in on a stout? Hmmm

3. tgould55

tgould55 Initiate (31) Jan 24, 2019 Massachusetts
    Trader

Damn, I gotta find a proxy for a bottle of that Vanilla/Walnut one.

4. TomCat11

Trader

Been a little bit behind the happenings lately but what's up with the hefty price increase in cans for the DC Popup? Just simple mark up for a rare release in DC, cost of transport of their self distro up to the area, some difference in taxes and such? The increase does not even follow any certain % mark up for each from the brewery retail side...

- Greenferrari: 22.99 ($17.50 brewery)
    - Dirtymiata: 22.99 ($15.00 brewery)
    - Astroworld:23.99 ($19.00 brewery)
    - Black & Blue Tastee: 22.99 (22.00 brewery)
    - Never Lucky: 22.99 (18.00 brewery)
    - Henok: 19.99 (22.00 brewery)
    - Crucial Taunt: $22.99 (16.00 brewery)
    - Hide: 16.99 (12.00 brewery)

Ianrem7, hoppytobehere and dirtylou like this.
  5. Stonefeet

Stonefeet Initiate (24) Jul 18, 2017 North Carolina

Probably Bruery needs to make up profits somewhere they gotta be getting killed on that store because they still don’t have anything on draft

I was in there today long after all the bros cleared out. They were slinging equilibrium photon 4 packs for 18.99

6. TomCat11

Trader

Brewery posted update about the Norfolk location this morning. On target for a summer open...

Demo and design have officially begun. Our NFK location will have three stories with a bar on each story. Our third story will be a rooftop deck. While we will still be having our weekly Tuesday can release in Richmond, we will also be doing a weekly Wednesday can release in NFK so you can grab some cans at both locations! We will also be serving cider, guest taps, and wine. We are so excited to have Ian Hock from Codex_VA as our chef and for you guys to see this place when it’s all done!!

See you at 2314 Colonial Ave Norfolk, VA 23517"

7. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (464) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Pretty aggressive schedule... we will see how it progresses. It'll be good to get some Veil closer to home.

montman likes this.
  8. TomCat11

Trader

More location info. This time an update on their Southside RVA location...

Here are some renderings of our new space provided by our incredibly talented and detailed friends Fultz & Singh Architects This two story location will also have a rooftop deck and our amazing friends at Pepe's Mexican Restaurant (Midlothian Tnpk) will be handling our food program. Our Forest Hill location will also offer guest beers, cider, and wine.⠀

The entire project will be two separate buildings. One building with be dedicated to our taproom and kitchen operations. The other building will have a lower retail level featuring Charm School a market, a coffee shop, and a fitness studio(more info on these coming soon). Above the retail section will be two levels of apartments. ⠀

We will post more progress on the Forest Hill location as it moves forward. Can’t wait to hang with y’all in this beautiful space in 2020!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thirst_trappist likes this.
  9. TomCat11

Trader

No mind blowing developments but a general idea of Anniversary Week posted yesterday just to put the curious at ease.

- We will be releasing special beers in package and on draft Tuesday(4/23) - Sunday (4/28).

- There will be a big can release on Tuesday (4/23).

- We will have 1-2 high gravity spirit barrel-aged beers, 1-2 funky/wild beers, and limited merchandise that will be released each day Tuesday through Sunday.

- More cans will be released on Friday (4/26)

- On Sunday (4/28) we will have several special guest taps from our friendz as well as some vintage kegs from our cellar.

- We will have different food trucks everyday including Intergalactic Tacos, Go Go Vegan Go, Sammich, Cobra Burger, High Roller Lobster, Zorch Pizza, Sincero and Brasa! ⠀

Even more details will surface through the month of April closer to the event so get ready!"

10. oldn00b

oldn00b Champion (887) Feb 23, 2015 Virginia
    Trader

Basically same exact deal as last year except adding Sunday and making that the party/final release instead of Saturday. I feel like we had at least some information on the beers by this point last year.

TomCat11 likes this.
  11. montman

montman Disciple (382) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

Wasn't coconut/reserve and guest taps on Sunday last year also?
    But yeah, these "details" are really just saying; hey it's the same as last year. haha.

oldn00b likes this.
  12. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (332) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

so I guess their business is transitioning into brewery/commercial real estate development.

hoppytobehere likes this.
  13. oldn00b

Trader

So my memory is apparently $&^%, yes, you are right. So, exact same format as last year then!

I guess through leaks/teases we know:
    Dirty Bugati
    New DIPA (can't remember the name)
    CoW variant
    SF variant (purple label)

montman likes this.
  14. TurkeysDrinkBeer

TurkeysDrinkBeer Initiate (48) Sep 8, 2018 Virginia
    Trader

I believe the CoW variant is supposed to be a Rum barrel aged version. Also heard some rumblings of a possible Pallbearer return in some form. Hopefully they post the release schedule for each day soon.

15. oldn00b

Trader

I'd definitely heard other folks talking about Pallbearer. I'm curious if there's any more that hung out in barrels for 24 months like what was used in Starve B, or if they just brewed a second batch and haven't released it yet. I'd always thought Anniversary was for Sleeping Forever and its variants but I guess we'll see. I'd love it if there is a Rum barrel CoW - very excited by that idea.

TurkeysDrinkBeer and montman like this.
  16. montman

Trader

Looks like coffee cinnamon cow.

TurkeysDrinkBeer likes this.
  17. TomCat11

Trader

18. oldn00b

Trader

Hoos win the NCAA, we get word on Hoo Joose from the Answer, and Veil anniversary details drop - best Monday night in a long time!

This might be the first year I don't grab the whole lineup. I would love them all but that's a crazy amount of beer and I'm out of town for a good part of the week.

Biggest questions for me atm:
    Sleeping Foreverer? Maybe non-BA but higher ABV?
    Eternal Slumber? My bet is some sort of blend with Pallbearer
    Double Vanilla Single Barrel - at that price it has to be a rare barrel right? Even Starve B with Vanilla and mostly 2 year aged Pallbearer was only $35 for charity.

That's a head scratcher for me, but since it's the same price as DB and Vanilla CoW I'm guessing it's still barrel aged. Least appealing of the CoWs so far by name but I have to track it down.

TurkeysDrinkBeer and montman like this.
  19. TomCat11

Trader

Some new glassware available starting today...The ones noted available in the webstore are available for orders now.

- Dual Logo house glass in orange. Available in our tasting room and webstore. NO LIMIT. $8.00+tax.⠀

- Domaine Red Wine Funkhaust in baby blue. Available in our tasting room and webstore. $9.00+tax. NO LIMIT. ⠀

- Spider Monkey/Otter Tumblr glass. Available in our tasting room and limited on webstore. $10.00+tax. 2x pp. Approx 180x available. ⠀

[​IMG]

20. Sorithin

Sorithin Initiate (47) Jan 7, 2016 Ohio

How long do their cans (IPAs) usually last during a regular week? If they release on Tuesday, is there a chance there will still be some available on Friday or Saturday?

21. Griffin2

Griffin2 Zealot (575) Aug 22, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

They show what cans are available on their website.
    http://www.theveilbrewing.com/taproom

22. TomCat11

Trader

Wednesday 4/24 will be the release of Sleeping Foreverer! Yes we added the extra ‘er’ on purpose. It’s one of 28 releases slated for our third anniversary week of 4/23/19 - 4/28/19!

Sleeping Foreverer is Sleeping Forever Imperial Stout aged for over a year in Muscatel barrels that were used to finish rye whiskey, then conditioned on hundreds of pounds of the finest Videri Chocolate cocoa nibs. Dense cherry, elegant tannins, tasty baking spices, whiskey, subtle oak, dark fruit, desert wine and leather. 13% ABV ⠀

*Available in 500mL, 1.5L and 3L bottles to-go and on draft. ⠀

500mL⠀
    ⚡️ aprox. 650x available at 2pp limit⠀
    ⚡️ $20+tax each ⠀

1.5mL ⠀
    ⚡️ aprox. 12x available at 1pp limit⠀
    ⚡️ $60+tax each⠀

3L⠀
    ⚡️ aprox. 2x available at 1pp limit ⠀
    ⚡️ $145+tax each ⠀

**To reiterate this beer will be released on *WEDNESDAY 4/24* during our 3rd anniversary week. Please see the event page on our website or Facebook event post for a full release schedule/details for our week-long 3rd anniversary rager. ⠀

***Stay tuned beer buddiez! We’ve got 27 more beers to announce regarding our 3rd anniversary event!⠀

oldn00b likes this.
  23. oldn00b

Trader

Props to them answering one of my biggest questions first - this one sounds interesting. I'm now curious about that Rye that was finished in a muscatel barrel.

Also interesting to see the first bottle count. That's above what Vanilla and Coconut (1pp) were last year, but well below the rest that were 2+pp.

montman likes this.
  24. montman

Trader

Yeah since there seem to be more types of different beers, I'd hazard a guess the bottle counts will be lower per variant. I think the pretty regular carryover will be less frequent than last year. It seemed the majority of weekday SF's made it to the following day.

oldn00b likes this.
  25. oldn00b

Trader

I'd say you're right on. AB SF coming in at just over 1/2 the bottles as last year and a limit of 2pp vs. 3pp. That's closer to what they had for BB SF last year (1100 bottles at 2pp) so there's a chance for carry over here but definitely not like last year. Also, priced up from $17 to $20 for the 500ml.

☁️⚡️⚡️⚡️⠀
    Apple Brandy Sleeping Forever Imperial Stout was aged for over a year in Laird’s (@lairdsapplejack) Apple Brandy barrels. It tastes like dark chocolate covered cherries, melted fudge, honey, marshmallow, all balanced by warm brandy and a subtle oak smoochie. 13% ABV⠀

*Available in 500mL, 1.5L and 3L bottles to-go and on draft. ⠀

500mL⠀
    ⚡️ aprox. 900x available at 2pp limit⠀
    ⚡️ $20+tax each ⠀

1.5mL ⠀
    ⚡️ aprox. 12x available at 1pp limit⠀
    ⚡️ $60+tax each⠀

3L⠀
    ⚡️ aprox. 2x available at 1pp limit ⠀
    ⚡️ $145+tax each ⠀

montman likes this.
  26. LoonarEclipse

LoonarEclipse Initiate (39) Feb 4, 2017 North Carolina
    Trader

Say it with me everyone...

“shit-show”

hoppytobehere likes this.
  27. MistaRyte

Trader

Hey, there's some ladies here! Say "poop performance".

28. oldn00b

Trader

$&!#-show = Dark Daze.

Anniversary last year, those days couldn't possibly have gone any more smoothly.

Well, unless they did these releases in a more reasonable fashion like stout bottles released every tuesday over the month of April with a big Fri-Sun weekend event. But for how they decide to set this up with maximum line waiting times to get all the bottles, it really couldn't go any better. Sunday last year especially, they absolutely killed it.

Vikings1201, montman and TomCat11 like this.
  29. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (243) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

I think your comment is probably a great example of a data overcount.

30. MistaRyte

Trader

Just trying to add some semblance of levity. I hope everyone attending enjoys themselves and it's not a Smartmouth Saturday Morning disaster.

31. RKP1967

Ok cool! My comment was based on your highly presumptuous assertion that there are actually ladies/women posting on Beer Advocate more than any assertions about what events at the Veil are going to be like. :slight_smile:

32. oldn00b

Trader

175 bottles of single barrel vanilla SF... I think that's the lowest bottle count release they've done.

I wonder how many bottles they're holding back for the cellar etc. Like that one beer dinner where they opened like 40 bottles of Starve B.

33. Vikings1201

Vikings1201 Aspirant (230) Sep 8, 2012 North Carolina
    Trader

It’s a single barrel so there’s no guarantee on the yield. I would suspect there’s at least a sixtel available for the festival which would likely mean a low 200 bottle count.

34. RKP1967

Does anybody know which day they're going to have the guest taps and the High Rollers lobster truck? That's all i care about. Could care less about all these syrupy overly sweet barrel aged beers that seem to go up in price disproportionately as the bottle size increases.

35. montman

Trader

Guest taps are on Sunday.

oldn00b likes this.
  36. oldn00b

Trader

Nothing new on the mags costing more per ounce. I haven't heard many people complain about how bottles that were $17 last year are $20 this year. No stout 500ml under $20 I don't think. I don't like how that's the new normal.

37. RKP1967

THanks. It seems like they could sell more beer having it on Saturday but maybe they don't need help selling out the guest beers.

38. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (332) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

my guess is that they make less money on the guest beers, they basically put them on to help draw a crowd.

39. TomCat11

Trader

^^Exactly right. Sundays are typically the least busy day on the weekend for breweries so Veil wants to keep that train rolling all week to make sure people make multiple trips during anniv week so putting offering them on Sunday is a smart business decision. I doubt they will have a problem selling what they already plan to have release and available on Saturday.

40. Vikings1201

Vikings1201 Aspirant (230) Sep 8, 2012 North Carolina
    Trader

They won't have a problem selling out Saturday or Sunday. They simply chose to do the party on the last day of the anniversary week which make sense.