The Veil Brewing - Richmond

Discussion in 'US - South' started by Arsenal_MC, Apr 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mblackie

mblackie (239) Sep 19, 2010 California

I wonder if they're considering swapping out EK for CT^3 for Huna day. I realize they've already made a name for themselves, but doesn't seem like the best way to rep their brand based on the reviews.

2. Riff

Riff (0) May 12, 2016 Virginia

On another note, just cracked a CT3 and it's just about everything you hope for in a Veil beer.

Readmorevols and hoppytobehere like this.
  3. Henryb22

Henryb22 (0) Jun 18, 2014 South Carolina

I like your style sir.

Riff likes this.
  4. TomCat11

TomCat11 (595) Jul 21, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

What's left for today (Wednesday).

CT3 - SOLD OUT

Never Meant
    - Still a bunch (draft only)

Rastal Monreal stemmed Trillium x Veil friendship glasses-$10+tax each(2x per person; only available from our tasting room; not available online; fewer than 400 available)

Extra Kreme diner style mug-$10+tax each(1x per person; only available from our tasting room; not available online; fewer than 60 available)

Trillium x Veil friendship shirts SOLD OUT in all unisex sizes. We have a small amount of S, M, and L women's cut sizes left. $22+tax. NO LIMIT. Available exclusively in our tasting room.

We have just under 50 of our Veil gold ink branded house glasses left! This will be the last time in a while the full logo will be on the house glasses. We will be moving to our stacked text logo for year 2. There is real gold in the print, so please keep in mind that these are not dishwasher safe. They must be hand washed. $9+tax each. NO LIMIT. *Exclusively available from our tasting room and not through our webstore.*

We still have a bunch of the Crucial Taunt 16oz Willi Becher glasses. $6+tax each. NO LIMIT. *Also available through our webstore.*

5. JohnB311

JohnB311 (0) Aug 19, 2008 Massachusetts

If anyone has an Extra Kreme mug they can part with, hit me up!

6. stephenjmoore

stephenjmoore (0) Feb 17, 2011 Maryland
    Society

Anyone know if there are still cans left?

7. stephenjmoore

stephenjmoore (0) Feb 17, 2011 Maryland
    Society

For those curious, they sold out of cans tonight.

8. TomCat11

Trader

For those Veilians going to Huna Day wondering if they would still be serving Extra Kreme the beer list has been updated on the site as well as App. It has been replaced with Crucial Taunt³

9. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere (775) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

Can sales of Extra Kreme totaled roughly $24,420 (220 cases @$18.50 a 4 pack)

Probably had some influence on whether or not to dump the batch.

10. oldn00b

oldn00b (0) Feb 23, 2015 Virginia

I didn't put together 3rd Thursday (probably because I've never been) but here ya go. Green beer tapped on the 16th for 3rd Thursday in time for St. Paddys. Fortunately not a can release for Tuesday the 7th.

[​IMG]

11. oldn00b

This is one of my biggest complaints with Veil (and really I don't have many complaints, I love what they do.) I notice it with other breweries too. The answer I've gotten can be attributed mostly to when kegs are filled vs. cans - i.e. kegs filled first will have more yeast settlement if cans are filled afterward. This could work very well to the advantage of the cans for Extra Kreme.

The biggest issue I've noticed this otherwise was Eternal Lord Shredder - on tap it was stupid good, more Eternal Shredder than Lord Shredder, hazy, hop juicy (not fruit juicy), great feel etc. I bought a bunch of cans expecting that but got a clear, clearly fruit juice added, slightly hot DIPA that was a completely different beer.

This happens a lot, and not just with Veil (Alewerks Bitter Valentine is a great example - hazy bitter but still juicy on tap, but perfectly clear bitter bomb from the bottle). My biggest issue is on certain release days I'm basing how much to buy based on how I like it on tap. "Is this is a good batch of CT or not?" etc. I'm still learning my lessons on these things!

Sip404 likes this.
  12. bowery

bowery (236) Jul 3, 2014 California
    Trader

the fact that you have to go through that thought process sounds a little crazy, its your money you're spending on a product they're providing. it shouldn't be a gamble of whether its good or not, its a qc issue on their end they need to sort out.

ElijahSF, Henryb22 and oldn00b like this.
  13. oldn00b

It's not frequent by any means - I can count the examples on one hand. But to me that's still worth noting even if I've had about 50 of their beers and multiple batches across some. I've noticed it a lot more, proportionately anyway, at other breweries. It isn't really a pattern but is still probably my biggest complaint of a brewery I love.

FWIW, I often find that I like Veil beer better canned than on tap (and then I'm thinking "I wish I bought more"). Those I can't count because it really is most of their beer.

14. TomCat11

Trader

All SOLD OUT of cans but here's what's left with the SWAG. Both the Coffee Mug and Veil/Trillium glass going to be posted to their store tonight

All sold out of cans from Tuesday's release!

- We still have a good amount of Trillium Brewing Company x Veil friendship glasses. We will posting them on our webstore this evening too by 6pm.

- We have fewer than 40 of the Extra Kreme diner mugs. We are going to put 10x of them on our webstore this evening also.

Here's the link to the webstore: theveilbrewing.bigcartel.com

DRAFT
    - Extra Kreme
    - Never Meant
    - Crucial Taunt 3
    - Crucial Shredder
    - Weekend at Broznies

15. besch64

besch64 (0) Mar 16, 2013 New York

Do they fill growlers at the tap room? Since I haven't seen any mention of a growler policy online, so I'm assuming they don't.

16. TomCat11

Trader

No growler fills......ever

oldn00b and Sip404 like this.
  17. TomCat11

Trader

Surprise first ever Saturday can release happening tomorrow.

For all y'all folks out there who keep asking for a Saturday can release, here you go! Beginning tomorrow, Saturday March 11th when we open our doors at noon, we will have two fresh 16oz/4-packs available to go. Here's what's available:

~Benjelz(pronounced Ben-gels)-5.6%-Farmhouse Pale Ale. This is a super rad beer. We fermented Benjelz with a blend of French and Belgian yeasts. We then added Citra Pure Leaf in the boil. Pure Leaf is the bi-product of Lupulin Powder. So basically it's the hop leaf without the Lupulin. Low in alpha acids and still packed with incredible floral/earthy notes and bright citrus character. We then put a healthy amount of the freshest Galaxy hops we could find in it. The best way to describe it is kind of like a hoppy saison. Crisp, refreshing, and just enough hops make it approachable to non-hop lovers while still enjoyable for the grand supreme hop dragonz too. 63x total cases will be available. $13+tax/4-pack. 3x 4-packs per person. (DEBUT)

~Feel Feelings-5.4%-Helles Lager. Feel Feelings is one of our brewers Justin aka Catboy's first recipe here at The Veil. It started as a pilot batch and received a great response so we decided to scale it up. Super clean, easy drinking lager. Just a great representation of the style. 74x total cases will be available. $12+tax/4-pack. 3x 4-packs per person. (DEBUT CAN. Has been released n Crowlers before)

Both beers will be flowing on draft too starting at noon.

Sip404 likes this.
  18. Sip404

Sip404 (0) Feb 27, 2017 Virginia
    Deactivated

Woah. Good looks. Glad to see something strange and to the side like this.

19. Riff

Riff (0) May 12, 2016 Virginia

We still have some cans available from yesterday's surprise release. Here's what's left:

~Benjelz(pronounced Ben-gel-s)-5.6%-Farmhouse Pale Ale. This is a super rad beer for us. We fermented Benjelz with a blend of French and Belgian yeasts. We then added Citra Pure Leaf in the boil. Citra Pure Leaf is the bi-product of Lupulin Powder. So basically it's the hop leaf with out the Lupulin. Low in alpha acids and still packed with incredible floral/earthy notes and bright citrus character. We then put a healthy amount of the freshest Galaxy hops we could find in it. This is kind of just like a hoppy saison. Crisp, refreshing, and just enough hops make it approachable to non-hop lovers and enjoyable for the grand supreme hop dragonz too(approx 22x cases available; $13+tax/4-pack; 3x 4-packs per person)

~Feel Feelings-5.4%-Helles Lager. Feel Feelings is one of our brewer Justin(aka Catboy)'s first recipe here at The Veil. It started as a pilot batch and received a great response so we decided to scale it up. Super clean, easy drinking lager. Just a great representation of the style(approx 41x cases available; $12+tax/4-pack; 3x 4-packs per person)

Taqueria Panchito will be here from 2-5pm serving some awesome [​IMG][​IMG]

**WE WILL BE CLOSING TODAY SUNDAY 3/12 AT 5PM FOR A PRIVATE PARTY**

We 200% will be having a can release this Tuesday 3/14 at 4pm. We will be releasing two beers. An IPA and a DIPA. Any Benjelz and/or Feel Feelings left over form today will also be available on Tuesday at 4pm. We will announce the brands for Tuesday's release tomorrow, Monday 3/13.

20. Henryb22

Any guesses on Tuesday release? Hoping for white Ferrari but would be happy with anything that doesn't have fruit added. Two new IPAs would be cool too.

#1420 Henryb22, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  21. Gumbo_gravy

Gumbo_gravy (0) Jan 31, 2015 District of Columbia

I doubt white Ferrari. That's gonna be part of anniversary party

oldn00b and hoppytobehere like this.
  22. Shilt

Shilt (0) Dec 26, 2011 Virginia

Two beers that have been released before. Pretty sure one is Master Shredder.

oldn00b likes this.
  23. Henryb22

How do you know it will be two that have been released before?

24. TomCat11

Trader

Agree with this week being two re-release beers. Untappd usually has new ones listed well before release. Never Aloha and Mixed Greenz are the only two showing that have not come out yet.

25. Henryb22

Ah gotcha, Thanks. Well if they are rereleases then what does everyone hope for?

26. beernuts

beernuts (0) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia

Master Shredder and anything without fruit added.

27. Henryb22

Im hoping for the same except maybe not master shredder since crucial shredder was two weeks ago. They just did weekend at broznies so a DIPA without fruit would be awesome.

28. Sip404

Deactivated

Welp, looks like they got hit with a cease and desist from Dunkin over Extra Kreme and its merch.

29. Henryb22

Think the mug went a little too far.

30. Sip404

Deactivated

Eh, yeah. I suspect it's a case of Dunkin having to protect their copyright in order to maintain precedent.

31. beernuts

I would be happy to see Young Lions and Old Lions again. I really hope its not Dull Fangs, please just nothing with fruit in it.

32. Henryb22

Yeah not a fruit fan. Not saying you can't make a great beer with added fruit but I think it's more impressive with getting those flavors or close to it from hops alone.

A single hop IPA/DIPA would be cool (thought not citra). Just hoping for something different.

33. TomCat11

Trader

Tomorrow, Tuesday March 14th we will be releasing two fresh ales in 16oz/4-pack cans and on draft. Here's what's being released:

~Personvl Spvce-8.5%-DIPA with 100% Galaxy hops
    (shooting for approx 185-210 cases; $16.50+tax/4-pack; 3x 4-packs per person limit)

We still have some cans left over from Saturday's surprise can release. Here's what's left:

~Benjelz-5.6%-Farmhouse Pale Ale with Citra Pure Leaf and Galaxy
    (11 cases; $13+tax/4-pack; 3x 4-packs per person)

~Feel Feelings-5.4%-Helles Lager
    (32 cases; $12+tax/4-pack; 3x 4-packs per person)

34. Henryb22

Looks like a solid release. Interested to try master shredder and crucial shredder side by side.

35. oldn00b

If this batch of MS is as good as the last one it's worth stocking up on. They've been dialing it in and last time it was the best I'd had by far.

hoppytobehere and Sip404 like this.
  36. beernuts

That's about as good of a lineup as I could hope for. I thought Personal Spvce was one of their best DIPAs to date when they released it last summer.

BFrie likes this.
  37. Henryb22

Looking forward to it.

38. BFrie

BFrie (0) Aug 31, 2012 North Carolina

I'm heading up from NC for my first can release tomorrow. Any idea what time I should shoot for lining up? Trying to get an idea. Thanks.

39. beernuts

My guess is that you won't need to line up tomorrow. Factors:

Last week was a huge turnout for a disappointing beer
    No new beer, neither of the ones being released are hyped up
    Bad weather predicted for tomorrow afternoon
    Rarely do you have to line up ahead of time for a beer with 400 allotments

Riff, BFrie and oldn00b like this.
  40. TomCat11

Trader

It's going to be windy, wet and cold all day tomorrow. Along with a couple re-releases plus case counts around 200 for the main cans I don't see you needing to really get there before opening or even really line up early if you don't want too. Head to Mekong (opens at 11) and/or Final Gravity (opens at 11) to enjoy some beers before heading to The Veil and keep tabs on the BTV fb page for line updates if you are at all worried about a line forming early but I definitely do not see it.

BFrie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.