The Year in Beer: Breaking Down 2018's Ratings and Reviews

Discussion in 'Article Comments' started by BeerAdvocate, Dec 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerAdvocate

BeerAdvocate Founders (16,536) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts

2. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (2,998) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Nice collection of stats. I’ll go out on a limb and say over 200 new beers by a single brewery in a single year seems a bit much.

Happy New Year.

3. KevSal

KevSal Meyvn (1,052) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

i wonder what impact untappd has had on beer advocates reviews.

i like reading reviews on here especially by a few users i know put a lot of effort into their reviews. wish there was more of those

4. Mikexw

Mikexw Champion (864) Mar 3, 2014 New York
    Trader

Thanks -- this was definitely a "good info, but don't think too hard about it" article. There's no question that some breweries make slight tweaks and completely change the beer name (hence 200 new beers), while others just change a batch number. Pretty much all the information was pretty close to what you'd intuitively guess. But seeing it quantified was pretty cool...

5. Todd

Todd Founder (6,027) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

I can't speak to Untappd's overall impact (as we're two very different world's), but our having an app for a while and then pulling it definitely impacted the volume of new ratings. But we're working on fixing that.

6. woodchipper

woodchipper Meyvn (1,212) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society

Great read,I love stats. Some of those numbers are frikken ridiculously large.

Rtsmithjr63, trapp2424 and Mikexw like this.
  7. WillieThreebiers

WillieThreebiers Poo-Bah (5,874) Apr 26, 2012 Connecticut
    Society

I wonder how many beers were brewed in 2018 that have yet to be listed on BA. I would not be surprised if the total new brews was 20 or 30 percent higher than what has been recorded.

8. KevSal

Trader

i think this is where untappd is better, since it’s a form for tickers to keep count of their beers they add whatever has not been added.
    i also notice that it depends on the brewery’s fans, the bigger the fan base the more up to date the catalog is.
    the last catagory is the hype brewers, and i think OH falls in this catagory where flippers rush to add the beer online, ive seen quite a few of fake reviews posted as well, a shame really. wasn’t surprised to see OH on the list, i bet monkish isn’t far behind

9. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (2,260) Jun 18, 2010 New York
    Society

2019, the year of the Brut IPA......

Bitterbill, Amendm and VoxRationis like this.
  10. kojevergas

kojevergas Poo-Bah (9,329) Aug 15, 2010 Louisiana
    Society Trader

This article was released prior to the end of the year it purports to summarize. I'm inclined to suppose (naturally) that its statistics were collated in the days prior to its release.

Marketing immediacy/clickbait timeliness seems to be a higher priority than statistical precision. Would it have hurt to dot Is and cross Ts, then put this out on, say, January 2nd?

11. Todd

@Keene and I actually worked on this today and ran the numbers again just before publishing. I'm sure a lot has changed in 12 hours though, so our bad. But thanks for clicking on our bait.

12. johnInLA

johnInLA Savant (910) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society Trader

In my experience, tickers tend to gravitate to untapped, reviewers gravitate toward BA. So I would expect the impact is loss of tickers on BA.. Not sure that is a bad thing.

13. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,532) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

“There are now over 7,000 beer companies in operation in the United States, an increase of almost 1,000 from a year ago. Without broadcasting a regular tally, BeerAdvocate has tracked the rapid recent growth of the industry, too. Including a large number of international businesses, our own database currently shows more than 17,500 active breweries.”

So, the US has over 40% of the worldwide breweries according to the above? That is significant.

Cheers!

14. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,828) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

"It 2018, users added a whopping 234 of the brewery’s kegged, canned, and bottled creations to the site. By comparison, 215 new beers from Tired Hands Brewing Company in Pennsylvania, 212 beers from The Veil Brewing Companyin Virginia, and 186 ales and lagers from California’s Modern Times Beer were also added to the site this year. Judging by the sheer numbers of new products released by those breweries as well as peers like WeldWerks (158), Aslin (129), and Bellwoods (117), beer makers seem to be responding to demand from consumers for a steady stream of fresh and original recipes."

Adding just the numbers from these few sentences is 1,251 "new: beers.

So, on average, these breweries released a "new" beer every other day.

This is just silly, IMO.

There were not "fresh and original recipes." They were tweaked and renamed recipes.

In years past, this would have been called another batch of the same beer, not a "new" beer.

Craft beer has become a parody of itself.

#14 MNAle, Jan 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  15. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (1,867) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Great article and numbers. Thanks for putting this out. I love to see these types of stats.

sulldaddy, Keene and REVZEB like this.
  16. REVZEB

REVZEB Poo-Bah (7,144) Mar 28, 2013 Illinois
    Society

Fun read! Thanks for putting together!

17. Keene

Keene Defender (664) Sep 11, 2009 Washington

We're glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for reading and chiming in!

chrismattlin, jhavs and Mikexw like this.
  18. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,305) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

Being a stats geek, I love articles like this. It provides great insight not only into BA but into the beer industry as a whole. I'm sure there is value in keeping some of this info internally but it would be cool to see a dedicated page on BA to stats like this.

FLBeerGuy and Mikexw like this.
  19. TheInsomniac

TheInsomniac Initiate (67) Jan 11, 2015 New Mexico

As a believer that IPA is overhyped (and overhopped), part of me wants to resolve to not drink any IPAs in 2019 in the hopes of supporting more beer diversity. But as a good beer lover I can't bring myself to automatically eliminate 25-30% of the new offerings I run across.

FLBeerGuy and Amendm like this.
  20. KevSal

Trader

some of the biggest tickets i know wrote the best reviews on here!

i think the real concern for me are the people who put up fake reviews

rodbeermunch, johnInLA and Amendm like this.
  21. zid

zid Meyvn (1,178) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

Here's a further break down of 2018's beers and ratings -

The 20 highest rated new beers:

1. Imperial stout with coffee, vanilla, cinnamon, and peppercorns aged in rye barrels
    2. Stout with lactose, coffee, chocolate, and maple syrup
    3. Imperial stout with cacao nibs, marshmallows, and walnuts aged in bourbon barrels
    4. Imperial stout with lactose, peanut butter, and chocolate
    5. Tree House NEIPA
    6. Imperial stout with lactose, coconut, and vanilla aged in cognac and bourbon barrels
    7. Imperial stout with vanilla aged in bourbon and rye barrels
    8. Imperial stout with vanilla, maple syrup, and coffee aged in maple syrup bourbon barrels
    9. Imperial stout with lactose, vanilla, and coffee aged in bourbon barrels
    10. Imperial stout with lactose, coffee, cinnamon, and maple syrup aged in bourbon barrels
    11. Imperial stout with coffee, coconut, and vanilla aged in rye barrels
    12. Imperial stout with lactose, cacao, and coffee
    13. Trillium NEIPA
    14. Imperial stout with strawberry, vanilla, and chocolate aged in bourbon barrels
    15. Trillium NEIPA
    16. Imperial stout with coffee, coconut, and vanilla aged in maple syrup / bourbon barrels
    17. Imperial stout with cinnamon and maple syrup aged in rum, maple bourbon, bourbon, and cinnamon whiskey barrels
    18. Imperial stout with coffee, vanilla, cacao nibs, and hazelnuts
    19. Imperial stout with coffee and hazelnuts
    20. Trillium NEIPA

And 15 out of those 20 are double digit ABV.

22. Todd

I've yet to see a report from you regarding "fake reviews." Please feel free to submit proof directly to me. Thanks.

jmasher85 and bbtkd like this.
  23. Bshaw22

Bshaw22 Crusader (769) Aug 29, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

agree with this. This is actually why I don't really use untapped. And I definitely don't use it to see what people actually think about a beer. I try to always write at least something about the beer I am drinking.

hopsputin and rodbeermunch like this.
  24. Bshaw22

Bshaw22 Crusader (769) Aug 29, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

apparently, 2018 was year of the pastry stout.

25. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Champion (808) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

[​IMG]
    Coincidence?
    :thinking_face:

26. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,786) Dec 1, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Pardon me but holy fucking shit. Not that I don’t like barrel aged sweet stouts with coffee and whatzit but that is just absurd.

What have we become? WHAT I ASK YOU???

I’m not remotely one of the vocal minority of flag wavers for Pilsner but that list kind of makes me want to become one.

Bshaw22 likes this.
  27. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (636) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

But...but...but innovation! And... and creativity! and... uniqueness... and... paradigm shifts... oh fuck it!

This just in... People like sweet flavored foods and drinks! More news at 11.

We'll keep the lights on for when you come around.

But seriously, the realization that most coveted/hyped "top" beers are mostly same-ish is quite liberating. The FOMO disappears and frees you up to try and appreciate the full breadth of beer styles. And FWIW, while I don't seek out IPAs or pastry stouts I still end up drinking them semi-regularly just because they are so common, so I don't feel like I'm missing much.

28. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (4,976) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

Eh, this is the exact same argument we've been having here for the 12 years I've been here. At one point, 60% of the top 50 beers were imperial stouts. Back then, it was arguments over beers like Speedway / Hunahpu/ Pliny/ KBS and whether they were truly better beers than, say, Westy 12 or Rochefort 10, and now, it's pastry stout. I'm not trying to argue that the status quo is necessarily acceptable or even one that I agree with, just that this has been the reality for a while.

Now, I'll get off your lawn :-)

29. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (636) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

I use Untappd regularly for my personal record (ticking) and to interact with my [real life] friends who are also on Untappd. When I encounter a beer that leaves a strong impression on me (good or bad), then I may come to Beer Advocate's vastly superior review system to write a review. Untappd is for ticking and silly fun, Beer Advocate is a bit more serious reviewing and thought... "different worlds."

30. LGHT

LGHT Aspirant (211) Sep 28, 2007 California
    Trader

I think you really need to consider making a min of say 20-50 reviews before a beer can qualify.
    rocky road had 7 reviews.... How can it be the best beer based on 7 opinions?

31. Todd

More like 56 ratings/opinions. And "best" wasn't used in the article, however, it was one of the highest rated beers released last year, which was the point of it being mentioned.

32. GratefulBeerGuy

GratefulBeerGuy Poo-Bah (3,071) May 20, 2006 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

Amazing numbers! Such a healthy scene, and BA is the best in the business.

Rtsmithjr63 and Todd like this.
  33. LGHT

LGHT Aspirant (211) Sep 28, 2007 California
    Trader

Well only 7 actual reviews. Although 56 total people clicked a number for feedback. Either way I really think such a low number shouldn't be used.

34. Todd

35. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,786) Dec 1, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Eh I’ve been here for 9 years and we all piss drunkenly on each other’s lawns before long. Shame it’s mostly dudes though. When I met my wife she and her friends were pissing on people’s lawns left and right and that was a real sight to see.

Rtsmithjr63 and TastyIsBeer like this.
  36. Phoodcritic

Phoodcritic Defender (616) Jul 3, 2014 Michigan

If 70,600 unique beers were added in 2018, how is it that the lowest ranked beer on the "Bottom of the List" (Budweiser Select 55) is ranked #45,674?

bubseymour likes this.
  37. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,280) Sep 24, 2007 Mayotte
    Society Trader

For example, there are 13 breweries in my town, but only a couple people are active on BA. I can't get out to enter every new brew released, so there were plenty of beers that didn't get added. Just from one small city.

38. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (9,004) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

Well I'm guessing there are a number of beers in the system that either have no ratings/reviews and/or are retired.

39. Todd

Only beers that meet the threshold get ranked.

40. travolta

travolta Champion (840) Feb 4, 2004 California

Fantastic!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.