There are eleven Trappist breweries now. Who's enjoyed them all?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by hotsudge, Feb 7, 2016.

1. hotsudge

hotsudge Disciple (368) May 3, 2010 Ontario (Canada)

We live in Canada and cannot access many of the Trappist offerings. Luckily we have been able to travel and live on the border of the USA. To date we have been able to try almost all of the Trappist brews. We are only missing out on Tre Fontane and Zundert.

Of the other Trappist brewery's we have been fortunate enough to enjoy most of their styles as well.

So who else has it on their bucket list to try each and every one of the Trappist beers? :slight_smile:

2. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Poo-Bah (2,812) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

Unless the Trappist breweries start making tropical hopbomb IPAs that look like banana smoothies, you won't find a lot of BAs aiming to try them all.

I hadn't thought much about trying them all, but you've inspired me. First thing I need to do is figure out who the 11 are. haha.

3. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,369) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Can't really respond to your poll. It's not on my bucket list, but I'd not mind having a chance to try them all so I'll just take them as I find them, when I find them since I'm only missing three.

Ricelikesbeer likes this.
  4. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,369) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trappist_beer

5. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,346) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

Had all of the classics and Spencer. So 8 for me. Not going to chase the new ones.

6. riverlen

riverlen Aspirant (248) Sep 16, 2009 Illinois

I can't respond based on the choices given. Just because I haven't tried them all doesn't mean "who cares".

machalel, Mlkluther and Dando274 like this.
  7. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (5,344) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I've had the first 7 on the list, those last 4 I would not mind trying out if I see them around, but will not go out of my way to find them. Most likely, St. Bernardus, Unibroue, kick their asses anyway.:slight_smile:

Cheers!

8. hotsudge

dogbert617, RobNewton and Wasatch like this.
  9. hotsudge

Good point...

10. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (6,814) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Premium Member Beer Trader

I chose the No answer but I will be looking for the remaining couple that I have not tried.

NanookinTexas and Wasatch like this.
  11. lhommedelamaison

lhommedelamaison Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2015 Denmark

I've had all the Belgian ones many times and wholeheartedly recommend them. Beyond that I've had La Trappe as well, and they make some good stuff for a decent price. The newer ones (last 4 on the list) I haven't tried yet. I was in Austria over the holidays and bought a bottle of Gregorius to bring back home and stupidly forgot it in someone's fridge, so I'll have to wait for the next opportunity.

12. JackRWatkins

JackRWatkins Defender (644) Nov 3, 2014 Alabama
    Beer Trader

would if I could, I have had at least one beer from many of them though. Had Chimay, Rochefort, Spencer, Engelszell, Orval, La Trappe, Westmalle, and Achel, never had Zundert, Tre Fontane or Westvleteren, so all but 3 I'm not doin too bad

DoctorZombies and hotsudge like this.
  13. nerdboy19

nerdboy19 Disciple (310) Sep 20, 2015 Korea (South)
    Beer Trader

Tried like 5 or 6 of them. They are really worth a try. Especially Rochefort and Westy. Rochefort 8 and Westvleteren Blond was my best :slight_smile:

14. 57md

57md Poo-Bah (2,349) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

At the very least, I am hoping that someday I will get to sample the penultimate beer from each of the 11 trappist breweries.

Currently, I only have 3 of 11 (Chimay, La Trappe and Rochefort). By far, the best of these was Rochefort 10 - IMHO.

VTMLB likes this.
  15. The_Kriek_Freak

The_Kriek_Freak Poo-Bah (1,584) Aug 18, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Had offerrings from La Trappe (Isod'or and Quad), Orval, Rochefort 6 &10, Achel Bruin, Chimay Blue, Red and White, Spencer and Westmalle Dubbel.

16. Kanger

Kanger Zealot (576) Sep 3, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

I have had all of them expect Tre Fontane.

hotsudge likes this.
  17. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,164) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

I've had 9
    I guess I will grab a Zundert and Tre Fontane. A man needs to have goals

18. jmasher85

jmasher85 Defender (648) Mar 27, 2015 Maryland
    Beer Trader

First of all, there are 12, not 11, Trappist breweries, according to http://www.trappist.be/en/pages/trappist-beers

My beer club had a tasting last year of as many beers from as many Trappist breweries as we could find - 18 bottles in all from 8 monasteries, missing only Mont de Cats, Westvleteren, Zundert, and Tre Fontane. Some were good, most were excellent, a few were mind-blowing (Rochefort 8, La Trappe Oak Aged Quad, Chimay Blue), and a couple were pretty weak (Chimay Cinq Cents smells like boiled spaghetti water, and I think our Orval was a bad bottle).

DoctorZombies and dcotom like this.
  19. RochefortChris

RochefortChris Meyvn (1,234) Oct 2, 2012 North Carolina

I was wondering where Mont de Cats was in the list. I found their beer to be quite good.

20. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Devotee (424) Jun 6, 2007 Wisconsin

I've had beers from all 6 in Blegium anyway.

21. smithm1970

smithm1970 Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2010 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I've had all 11..plus Mont des Cats which is not an 'official' Trappist. I recently had Tre Fontenen from Italy..nice eucalyptus flavored- tripel. With the exception of the new 'Xmas Trappist' from Spencer, and the blonde from Engelszell, I've had all the varieties as well.

I also have sought out all the draft varieties made..only missing the draft Orval, but if you want to fool yourself on having a draft Orval, the draft Matilda from GI is pretty close I'm told.

There's only 2 I wouldn't care for..they are from the newer breweries, but out of respect for these old orders beginning new traditional of brewing, I choose to share not their names, but my belief they are still 'works in progress'.

My favs: Chimay bleu, Orval, Achel Extra, and Rochefort 10.

22. BenBreeg

BenBreeg Meyvn (1,017) Mar 18, 2014 Belgium

Had each and every trappist beer in existence except for Spencer Imperial Stout. But this one should be in my house next week !
    I also had all the patersbieren : green Orval, Chimay gold, Westmalle extra and both the blond and brown Achel 5...

23. captaincoffee

captaincoffee Meyvn (1,377) Jul 10, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

Mont-des-Cats is a little bit different. It does not carry the official ATP designation because it is not brewed by them...it is brewed by Chimay for them. Of course Chimay does have the ATP designation.
    Orval is an amazing beer...highly recommend you give it another try.

24. captaincoffee

captaincoffee Meyvn (1,377) Jul 10, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

All the beers from all the Trappist producers is the real goal. I'm a little behind you (mostly on the Austrian, Italian, and US trappist beers), but living in Belgium gives you quite a head start!

hotsudge and BenBreeg like this.
  25. Euroglot

Euroglot Disciple (316) Dec 16, 2015 Belgium
    Beer Trader

I've had all the different trappist beers. A couple of weeks back I drank the Tre Fontane (by far the worst). I really like the Rochefort 10, Chimay Grande Reserve (Blue), Westvleteren 8 and Achel Extra Blond.

And I can confirm that living in Belgium is giving you an advantage. You can buy almost every one in shops, even the Austrians. The only one that you need to do a lot of effort for are Tre Fontane and Spencer. Even Westvleteren is relatively easy to get (only 40 minute drive to 'In De Vrede'). If anyone needs a Trappist beer, just sent me a message and I'll try to work something out...

reefer_bob, davidperez, EMH73 and 3 others like this.
  26. shadyside

shadyside Disciple (333) Feb 27, 2011 Georgia

27. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Zealot (582) Nov 29, 2006 Colorado

I barely understand the original question... but I'm with many others. I'm not chasing the new ones, but I'd be happy to try them. The classics are great and I revisit them as often as I can. My favorite is Achel- I love their Bruin Extra. But I often buy the staples like Westmalle Trippel and Orval to understand the best examples out there.

Brolo75, EMH73 and spoony like this.
  28. Jwale73

Jwale73 Poo-Bah (3,642) Aug 15, 2007 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

9 out of 11. I didn't even know there was an Italian trappist until now. That looks like it may be tough to score based on the number of reviews.

dogbert617 and malty like this.
  29. 4ingredients

4ingredients Initiate (0) May 22, 2009 Massachusetts

Had some of the products from 9 of the 11. Was lucky to be in Austria last summer and had Gregorious from Engelszell. Have not had anything from Tre Fontane or Zundert. (or Mont de Cats).

hotsudge likes this.
  30. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,652) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina

I've only had about 4, I didn't vote, because neither choice applied

riverlen likes this.
  31. lwhcchh

lwhcchh Initiate (42) Aug 31, 2010 Oklahoma

I wasn't aware that Spencer made an Imperial Stout. Where can that be found?

32. lwhcchh

lwhcchh Initiate (42) Aug 31, 2010 Oklahoma

Had them all except Tre Fontane. With the exception of Gregorious and Spencer, had them either at the brewery, their tap room, or in a cafe as close as possible. The ones with taprooms are a lot of fun to visit. No doubt that atmosphere lends to the experience.

33. Dentist666

Dentist666 Poo-Bah (2,130) Dec 21, 2009 Russian Federation

La Trappe, Chimay, Wv, Rochefort, Orval, Westmalle, Engelszell, that's all, folks.

34. Ninjakillzu

Ninjakillzu Disciple (361) Oct 5, 2015 Washington

I've had Rochefort 6, 8, and 10, Chimay red, yellow, and blue, Westmalle Dubbel and Tripel, I have Westvleteten XII that I'm saving for a special occasion, Orval, Achel 8 Bruin and 8 Blond.

hotsudge likes this.
  35. CyriousBeer

CyriousBeer Initiate (127) May 7, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

I attended a Trappist class at Top Hops in NYC where they had at least 1 example from every brewery. Memorable night.

EMH73 and hotsudge like this.
  36. jtk

jtk Initiate (76) May 19, 2007 Texas

Only had Achel, Chimay, La Trappe, Orval, Rochefort, and Westmalle.

Oh and all the different beers from all of those breweries except maybe Achel.

37. KevinBrink

KevinBrink Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2015 New Jersey

All but the two new ones haven't had every La Trappe or anything beyond the first beer Spencer put out but from what I have had, Achel and Rochefort are my clear favorites followed by Engelszell.

38. Gtwreck45

Gtwreck45 Devotee (419) Jul 5, 2014 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Am I the only one who didn't know that St. Bernardus is not a trappist brewery?

BigMike likes this.
  39. hopsputin

hopsputin Meyvn (1,218) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey

Have yet to try anything from Westy, Gregorius, or Zundert.

Its never really been a goal of mine to try one from all up to think point in my beer journey(I do want to try Westy..cuz Westy), however I've never had a Trappist beer that I really disliked, and would certainly not mind knocking off beers from the others.

VABA and hotsudge like this.
  40. Euroglot

Euroglot Disciple (316) Dec 16, 2015 Belgium
    Beer Trader

It has a trappist history though.

In Westvleteren they only restarted the brewery in the early nineties. Somewhere after WOII Westvleteren sold their recipes to Sint-Bernardus. That's why they resemble each other. It's only when you taste both 12's together that you taste a subtile difference.

zac16125, Dan_K, EMH73 and 3 others like this.