Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Things to do around DC/Richmond area

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by Rizdac, Apr 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rizdac

Rizdac Initiate (81) Dec 5, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I will be in town May 2-6 (for the Battle of Chancellorsville 150th) and was wondering if there was anything beer related I should hit. I'll be flying into Dulles and staying in Fredericksburg, VA. The only "must hit" place I have is Hardywood, as it seems DC Brau doesn't have a brewpub and is only open on Saturday.

So, to sum up, any breweries to hit? Any beer tastings in the area? Anyone want to do any IP trades?

Thanks for any input!

2. Shilt

Shilt Disciple (395) Dec 26, 2011 Virginia
    Beer Trader

As others have mentioned in previous threads. Center of the universe in Ashland is pretty good and Extra Billy's BBQ in midlothian has a great new brewer doing some awesome stuff right now. Also, you absolutely HAVE to hit Mekong. Let me know if/when you plan On doing so and we can get a little bottle sharing action going with some other BA's in the area. I'd be down for an ip trade as well. Cheers!

3. Rizdac

Beer Trader

I had Center of the Universe on the "possible" list, but those other two sound awesome. If you can get something going that'd be sweet. Looks like Friday evening, Saturday after 8, and Sunday evening are all options. I'll post a list of what I have to trade/bottle share, but I can guarantee some 2013 DL.

4. alysmith4

alysmith4 Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2005 District of Columbia

Rizdac likes this.
  5. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Disciple (347) Feb 28, 2012 Virginia
    Beer Trader

I would probably try to hit the Richmond spots over DC since it sounds like you have limited free time in the evenings and will be staying in Fredricksburg. If you left before 5pm on Friday you could probably do Center of the Universe, Hardywood, Mekong and maybe a bottle shop in Richmond.

After your flight lands not far from dulles airport is Lost Rhino Brewery which is worth stopping by if you have extra time. You just have to go around 10-15 minutes the opposite direction but it is not far off of rte 28. In Fredricksburg there is a Capitol Ale House that should have the best draft list in the burg. Just expect the service to be spotty and at least one of the draft beers you order they will be out of. But if it is close to where you are staying it is worth a stop. There is Blue and Grey brewing in Fredricksburg but I don't know much about them.

One last thing the day you arrive if you are driving from Dulles to Fredricksburg via rt66/Prince William parkway/95 south between 4pm-7pm expect a lot of traffic. So if you are landing in that time frame you might as well hit Lost Rhino and wait out the traffic. Or there is a Dogfish Ale House(not owned by DF but has at least 10 DF beers on tap and decent/good food) and Total Wine bottle shop (one of the better bottle shops in Northern VA) in the same shopping center not far from dulles airport right off of Rt 50.

Rizdac likes this.
  6. Rizdac

Beer Trader

Thanks for the info, ipas. My flight lands around 9 or 10, so traffic won't be bad. Monday is basically free, so I'm going to drive up to DC that day and hit Church Key at the very least. Blue and Grey brewing sounds interesting, see as how I'm going to a Civil War event.

alysmith4 likes this.
  7. smcgowan70

smcgowan70 Initiate (0) May 30, 2007 Virginia

Blue and Grey was surprisingly good. The IPA was good, the imperial stout better and the bourbon aged version of the stout better yet.

Plus, they serve burgers on English Muffins, which is always a good thing.

8. VeganUndead

VeganUndead Meyvn (1,453) Apr 25, 2012 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Sunday is the first ever Carytown Craft Brew festival. Harywood, COTU, Devils Backbone all going to be pouring, as well as Midnight and 3 brothers, two breweries that are going to be available in the market soon. Depending on when I'm at the shop i'd be down for a bottle share or IP trade. cheers

9. ncaudle

ncaudle Defender (602) May 28, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

this is the first time I have ever heard anyone say anything positive about Blue & Grey.
    may have to revisit them as I havent been there in a few years

Shilt likes this.
  10. cw577enfield

cw577enfield Disciple (320) Mar 3, 2013 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Are you a reenactor??? All of the suggestions above are solid on. Plus, I have a rare roll of the cadets from West Point 1852 if you're interested in trading but I'll settle just for IP beer trades. ;-)

11. Rizdac

Beer Trader

Not a reenactor, just going to hear the talks about the battle. I'd be interested to see the 1852 West Point cadet roll, but I don't know about trading for it...

12. Saudereth

Saudereth Aspirant (262) Feb 21, 2013 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Other places that are good in NOVA/DC:
    Breweries/Brewpubs: Port City Brewing (no brew pub but open most days), Mad Fox Brewing (brewpub, some of my favorite food in the area, solid beer)
    Bars/Fooderies with Nice Taps: Galaxy Hut, Rustico, Pizzeria Paradisio, Fireworks Pizza (Arlington), Westover Market's Beer Haus/Beer Garden, Smoke and Barrel, RFD, Meridian Pint, World of Beer, Rock Bottom Brewing, Lost Dog Pizza.

13. Rizdac

Beer Trader

Still coming in this week if anyone wants to do any IP trades. Have some Pipeworks and Revolution to trade. Interested in Hardywood and other locals. BM me if interested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.