1. Introducing the Respect Beer® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to add-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Third Shift - Fool me once

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by WilliamLee, Mar 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. williamjbauer

williamjbauer Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2012 Colorado

Had it. Gross.

2. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (3,897) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Society Trader

It started showing up here in WV so I automatically knew it was BMC. Our grocery stores don't get new beer, unless it's BMC.

bmilt likes this.
  3. opothecary

opothecary Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2009 New York

The name of the beer just has that BMC vibe, I can't explain it. I'd drink it if someone handed me one but I'd never go out of my way for it

4. ktblue22

ktblue22 Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2013 Vermont

Happened to me too man, hated to say I didn't hate it too - in my post on the beer's page I go on a rant, but I still feel weird about the whole experience.

5. Mark

Mark Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2001 California

Well said! I might not leave the party but I too refuse to drink the swill. If I didn't bring my own then it will be mixed drinks or nothing.

bmilt likes this.
  6. bmilt

bmilt Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2011 North Carolina

^ i like this guy. If i go to a bar and all they have is macro, i'll be drinking whiskey sours and be stoked.

7. Bobheed

Bobheed Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2010 Texas

Ya, when I saw the ad on a national TV channel during primetime, I just assumed it was BMC

8. bmilt

bmilt Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2011 North Carolina

the only way i think i could be fooled by this is if i walked into the store already drunk

Bobheed likes this.
  9. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,705) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I thought 1st shift was pretty good, haven't tried 3d, probably won't I'm not that curious.

10. mdvatab

mdvatab Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2006 Indiana

This was another clue for me. The ad on a Leinenkugels billboard was mysteriously replaced by a Third Shift ad recently, so that was a telltale sign. (No pun intended). When I was working at ABI, it was common for an A-B billboard to be converted from one brand to another. I assumed that this was a new M-C brand based on that.

Before I learned about the M-C association, though, I wondered. There's a small MO brewery called "Second Shift". The first time I saw Third Shift on the shelf, it was kind of confusing.

Oh well, we'll see how people vote w/ their wallets on this one. I doubt the beer is good enough to pull a significant number of macro or craft drinkers...

11. ColonelCash

ColonelCash Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2011 Tennessee

What gave it away for me was the 1-800 comment line listed on the bottle. No craft place has that (that I know of). Had better beer, but it wasn't bad.

12. Chaz

Chaz Poo-Bah (2,027) Feb 3, 2002 Minnesota
    Society Trader

A final thought: A Third Shift tap handle might be mistaken as one of the brands from the new-ish Craft-brewed family of beers called Third Street Brewhouse. While the Third Street brands all have custom-sculpted tap handles, the basic beer-brand logos are slightly-similar, and in a dimly-lit, noisy bar . . .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A friend recently related a story about a brewer (unaffiliated with either of the breweries mentioned here) who made this easy mistake.:sunglasses:

beerme411 likes this.
  13. Reneejane

Reneejane Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2004 Illinois

I do feel that the marketing practice on this is deceptive, (thanks to those who posted pics of labels with clearly different information on them). Even being stone-cold sober, I can see brand confusion between, "third street" logo,shape, style, and "third shift." Both have hexagons, the fonts are both blocky sans-sarif, and the t's on both ends are smaller than the D, and S on the right. Third street better watch out because, you get these trademark branding poachers that go after the little guys in beer and that practice is disgusting, too. Plus, Third shift is going to be selling in Third Street's market. I hope somebody whose a friend of someone at Third Street tells them that customers are getting confused, because that's no good. :-(

OTOH, I'm glad to see Miller be more respectful of craft beer, in general. They are watching us, and they're learning from the movement, and they are getting more creative, and I think that's good, too.

I'm disappointed that Munsterfest lost out, though, Munsterfest to me is a world-class example of a non-export Oktoberfest! OTOH, maibock seems like an under-attended competition, so I think I'll brew more maibocks.

Chaz likes this.
  14. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,852) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

“They are watching us, and they're learning from the movement, and they are getting more creative, and I think that's good, too.”

Hmmm, an ‘interesting’ statement!?!

“They are watching us, and they're learning from the movement, …” So what exactly are they learning? Are they learning that they need to obfuscate who is brewing a given beer my ‘inventing’ a brewery called Band of Brewers? Are they learning to just list “Gold Medal Winner” on the Third Shift Lager with no statement of the contest (when and in what category)? For Batch 19 they have statements that it is a Silver Medal winner (in a category of American style Specialty Lager where Keystone Ice won Gold). So, Keystone Ice is ‘better’ that Batch 19?

“ …they are getting more creative …” By adding a bit more crystal malt and maybe some more hops to make an American Amber Adjunct Lager vs. their regular offerings of American Adjunct Lager?

The BMC type breweries (with all of their resources: highly trained brewers and Pilot breweries) could make the equal of any craft brewed beer being made by breweries like Firestone Walker, Green Flash, etc. but they are only making beers that are slight ‘tweaks’ of their regular lineup of beers. If they truly want to learn from the craft beer movement, why not make an excellent tasting craft beer?

Cheers!

15. JimmyW

JimmyW Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2011 Illinois

He did say, "depending." Either way, it's not a ridiculous statement. Some of us, for whatever reason just simply do not like to drink BMC beer. If the company at the party is good, I would get some beer I like and come back. If not, then there's no reason to stick around.

5thOhio likes this.
  16. baconman91

baconman91 Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2009 Ohio

..I just did that in my local Dist. w/ myself 2day! lol

17. Hdredfern

Hdredfern Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2012 Texas

Old native American style??

18. stevegoz

stevegoz Aspirant (265) May 5, 2008 Illinois
    Trader

With just a hint of the old Gangnam.

19. EdH

EdH Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2005 Utah

For sure... The idea that some new brewery we've never heard of popped up and instantly has a floor display in every grocery store is one hell of a red flag.

20. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Aspirant (217) Apr 23, 2007 Minnesota

Traditional, huh? Last time I checked, MillerCoors, 5,000-8,000 years is more traditional that 50-80 years...

21. kaseydad

kaseydad Meyvn (1,066) Nov 23, 2008 California

I saw a "rustic" look on the label and thought....oh hell yeah at that price point. Then I went to BA. HELL NO!!! Sneaky MC.

22. BeerLab45

BeerLab45 Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2013 Virginia

I choked down a six..not horrible but that is comparing to Bud

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.