Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Third Street Brewhouse

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by ZAP, Jan 11, 2013.

1. ZAP

ZAP

Thought it was time to give some props to the boys putting out the beers here. I have been probably the #1 critic of the old crap that came out of Cold Spring in the past disguised as craft (Jermiah James) etc...

I have been impressed with all the new offerings from the newly equipped brewhouse under the 3rd street label.......but not blown away..... until I tried their Sugar Shack Maple Stout....This is one of the best in its class in my opinion....better on tap but good in bottles too...I've seen their list of brewers and I think this is a place to watch in the future and if you haven't tried worth checking out....usually pretty cheap for their sixers too although I paid 9.99 for the Sugar Shack but was happy to find it as it is pretty limited...

garymuchow and budgood1 like this.
  2. deadbody

Beer Trader

I tried their black IPA once at a store tasting and I was shocked at how good it was. Ended up buying a 6 pack. Might need to get another sometime soon, love to support that they really made an effort to start making actually good beer.

3. incutrav

The Black IPA is very good. I havent seen the Sugar Shack in six pks, only in the variety pack thus far. I would like to give that one a try. Wonder if the seasonal releases will be priced higher, or if you just happened to pay more? Six packs have been 7.99 everywhere i have seen them(which really is everywhere)

4. jera1350

Picked up a sixer of Sugar Shack at Blue Max yesterday. They have ALL Third Street six packs priced at $6.49. Can't remember the last time I saw any craft sixer for that low of a price excluding clearance ones.

Thought the Sugar Shack was a very nice stout and a bargain for what I payed.

5. incutrav

Great price. Im hoping they will put out 12 pks of regular/seasonals at Summit-esque prices. I can see grabbing twelves of the IPA, or even the Cream ale

6. Bond111

Beer Trader

The had a rep at Andy's in Rochester doing a sampling. I didn't try the Black IPA, but did have the Rise to the Top, & it was ok. They also had a few bottles of Sugar Shack in secret to sample too. I thought that was pretty well done & would buy it when its out.

7. lit202

Subscriber

I'm a big fan of third street. I grew up in St. Cloud and have seen the awful things to come out of the brewery first hand. This is not one of them. Their beer is only slightly less impressive than their awesome facility. I highly suggest checking out the brewery. Over the years I've been to many different breweries and this was one of my favorite set ups. I've been happy with all five of their beers so far (cream ale, brown ale, black IPA, pumpkin and sugar shack). Sugar shack has been my favorite thus far.

8. MNBEERFAN

Beer Trader

I like Lost Trout and was excited about Sugar Shack coming in 6 packs. I bought a sixer on Wednesday and have drain poured the first two I've opened. Somewhat pleasant at the front but in the back I got a bizarre metallic taste. GF tried it without my saying anything and said the same thing. Anyone else get this from Sugar Shack?

9. jera1350

I kind of interpreted that as a more earthy flavor, but it almost bordered on a bit of metallic if that makes any sense at all.

10. incutrav

I have been to the brewery, and agree its very impressive-everything is incredibly clean and shiny, as you would expect from a new brewhouse. The tasting room is very nice as well.

Gives me hope that the contract stuff should improve too, Big Wood will be having the cans come out there soon

11. maximum12

Beer Trader

I've been passing on these, for obvious reasons, but I'll pick a bit up next time I see it.

Thus is the power of the Interwebs.

12. dj420

I picked up the Sampler 12-pack last night. I have only tried the Rise To The Top cream ale. It was OK, look forward to trying the rest.

13. elshaggy

I concur to the slight metallic taste in the Sugar Shack, though I also get that from Founder's Breakfast Stout.

Third Street is still playing it pretty safe on the palate to make them a Beloved MN brewery to me. I'm hoping for an IIPA or even a good pale ale this spring. And Cans! They surely have the ability since they brew all the 21A stuff we drink. Aluminum is a must to be in my Disc Golf bag.

14. ZAP

ZAP

I just bought Sugar Shack in bottles and after having a couple tonight I can say it is much different than the version in kegs.....the maple really comes through on draft....the bottles have more of a coffee like flavor and little maple....not sure what might be different between the two...different batches maybe?

15. ZAP

ZAP

Hey its a Friday night..working my way through several of the Sugar Shack tonight...astounded by the lack of maple compared to the draft version I had three separate times...this is still a nice drinker but nothing I would tout as best in class...not sure why they would be so different....glad I didn't buy up the whole case that was sitting there at 9.99 a sixer...

16. incutrav

I had a couple maple stouts last night. Maple was fairly prominent . Good stuff-7.49 at cellars

17. ZAP

ZAP

Maybe the bottles I got were older? Not sure but it was night and day from the draft I had one day earlier...

18. MN_Beerticker

Love these guys. Can't wait to see what is next!

19. deadbody

Beer Trader

Bought a 6 pack of sugar shack, not sure I love it. Not bad, just not what I expected. Will have to drink another and see if it is jut the bottles or what.

20. budgood1

Sampled Sugar Shack and Bitter Neighbor this weekend and i am quite impressed. I'm looking forward to seeing if the rest of the available line is as good. Quality stuff finally coming out of Cold Spring bodes well for the state.

21. mnbrewery

I have sampled their beers and have been pretty dissapointed, but since they only used dried yeast, I guess I attribute it to that....

22. elshaggy

23. Ish1

Beer Trader

You mean Cold Spring?

24. ZAP

ZAP

Any idea what the three "distinct" hops they are planning on using for that pale ale?

25. mwagner1018

Cascade, Calypso, Zythos.

minnesotaryan likes this.
  26. elshaggy

well the label says, "Brewed with care under Deschutes Brewery's strict guidelines by Third Street Brewhouse, Cold Spring, MN."

27. Ish1

Beer Trader

28. Chaz

Beer Trader

I'm glad you're keeping this topic going -- it's been fun since last July! :D

Here's a few more fun links:

"Cold Spring decided to give the new operation its own brand—Third Street Brewhouse"

"a division of the Cold Spring Brewing Company."

"Third Street Brewhouse is a division of the Cold Spring Brewing Company, Cold Spring, MN."

P.S. And just so everyone's on the same page, there is no town and/or brewery (or even 'Brewing Company') called "Cold Springs" -- except when it's listed as such in error -- which is often enough. :rolleyes:

Ish1 likes this.
  29. elshaggy

I understand this, they built a brand new facility and recruited some talent to create a competent craft beer brand. Yea, its borderline "crafty", I prefer Third Street's offerings, even the 21A cans, to Leinenkugel's or Schell's. I have no desire to try the Cold Spring brand and think they should kill it and make more worthwhile brews.

I can't just blow 'em off and walk down the street and have some Surly, Indeed, or Steel Toe. Hell yea I'm going to root for the local guys.

30. Ish1

Beer Trader

I sure hope your right. I'd love to session me some Deschutes mirror pond cans this summer while camping. My sister lives in Eugene, OR and I have fond memories of "discovering" deschutes while visting OR.

BTW, I'm not sure the rest of the "local guys" would want to be lumped in with Cold Spring.

31. Ish1

Beer Trader

Sorry, couldn't resist. http://coldspringbrewery.com/company

[​IMG]

32. Sender

I believe he is referring to the "s" that some people put at the end of Cold Spring.
    He's saying that it is "Cold Spring," not "Cold Springs."

33. Chaz

Beer Trader

Yes. And some websites list "Cold Springs" as a Minnesota brewery while others list it as a city. o_O

HoistinBrews likes this.
  34. runfoodrun

Me thinks you need to revisit Schell's before you prefer Third Street to them or compartmentalize Schell's with Lienes…and I've enjoyed the Third Street brews I've tried, but they are no Schell's, not yet.

35. jesskidden

Subscriber

You mean, people who say/write "Cold Springs" are just pluralizing it, and discussing both the MN brewery and the one in Lawrence, MA?

[​IMG]

Chaz likes this.
  36. Chaz

Beer Trader

Yes, there are several examples of conflation regarding two historic (though geographically-divergent) breweries. A search for "Cold Springs Massachusetts" will find a few (and if you are really curious, look into Cold Spring Granite).

I have also seen -and heard- people refer to -e.g.- Summit Brewing as "Summits" (and/or "Summit's"), so the practice of adding an s (and an apostrophe, whether it is needed or not) is common enough in American culture (and English language usage) to propagate or cause enough confusion --I'll get back to you when I hear or see someone use: "Barkeep! Gimme a couple'a Surly's!" to indicate a couple of tall, cool cans of Fury. ;)

37. Ish1

Beer Trader

Fuck the "S". That brewering has a reputation of brewing less than stellar beers.

38. elshaggy

Three-way pale ale is plain, boring, and forgettable.

McRyan likes this.
  39. morimech

That is unfortunate. But I will try it for myself as I have enjoyed everything else from Third Street.

40. ZAP

ZAP

Yeah I was slightly disappointed...nothing bad or off...and it is decent enough but I was expecting more....I haven't rated it yet but probably more of a 3.25-3.50 type beer...better than average but nothing to get excited about....

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe