Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Thoughts on dunkels.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RochefortChris, Mar 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longstaff

Longstaff May 23, 2002 Massachusetts

Like. And I'll add ignorance of beer drinkers (from both the craft and macro sides of the aisle).

2. meanmutt

meanmutt Feb 6, 2012 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Hofbrau Dunkel is one of my favorite beers. This thread just reminded me that it's been waaaayy too long since I've been to Hofbrauhaus. I'm gonna have to get down there soon ;)

3. Timmomyces

Timmomyces Jan 19, 2013 Missouri

Two really nice examples are being brewed in St. Louis. 4 Hands Brewing Co. and Perennial Artisan Ales.

4hands brews one they call Breakfast Beer and Perennial makes one in which they use 200lbs of local Missouri Black Walnuts that they are calling Black Walnut Dunkel. Both good dunkels and worth seeking out if youre into the style

4. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Apr 20, 2004 Kentucky

Ditto, except I have to go up.

meanmutt likes this.
  5. steveh

steveh Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

I think Yemenocha was responding to the O.P., who was asking about Dunkel, specifically Munich Dunkel (which is a lager) based on the list he showed of what he's been enjoying.

yemenmocha likes this.
  6. steveh

They've just opened a new restaurant in the Chicago area -- where they're also brewing the beer (the Las Vegas branch imports it direct from Munich). I haven't visited yet, but it won't be long...

7. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Jun 18, 2002 Arizona

I was referring to the original style in question, the Dunkel.

leedorham likes this.
  8. jbertsch

jbertsch Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts

Reminds me, I was just at the Hofbrauhaus hall replica in Las Vegas a couple weeks ago, and the waitress asked me if I would like to have "the dunkel, or the lager". I was stumped for a couple moments before I realized that she was referring to the helles as the lager

9. meanmutt

meanmutt Feb 6, 2012 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Cool! The one I go to in Newport, KY brews all the beer onsite except for the Maibock and the Oktoberfest, they get those two imported from Munich.

10. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Jun 18, 2002 Arizona

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No wonder I like the PROST Dunkel - it's a revived recipe from a German brewery.
    http://www.prostbrewing.com/beers.html

"We are reviving the Altfränkisches Dunkel Bier from the Hümmer Brauerei in Breitengüßbach, the brewery whose brewhouse now resides in Denver, Colorado at Prost Brewing."

11. steveh

Diggin' those Maßkrug (or are those .5?).

yemenmocha likes this.
  12. herrburgess

herrburgess Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

I was lucky enough to have the Hümmer while they were still in operation back in the 1990s. Great stuff.

yemenmocha likes this.
  13. rlcoffey

Im pretty sure he was referring to the Newport location, which brews on site.

Edit: And I see he beat me to it. So nevermind.

14. steveh

I'll have to look around, I haven't seen the Ayinger in a while and my first source for Weltenbug beers seems to be drying up. :(

Much as I'd love to endorse the likes of local breweries, Capital's Dark is just so-so and Sprecher's Black Bavarian is closer to a Schwarzbier than the Dunkel I'm used to.

15. steveh

Understood, I was just pointing out that the Vegas locale doesn't brew, so the Chicago location will be interesting -- whether or not interesting is good remains to be seen.

16. rlcoffey

Assuming it is like the Newport location, it should be good.

meanmutt likes this.
  17. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Jun 6, 2007 Wisconsin

I love em. Ayinger is my favorite, the Hofbrau is very good, and a couple of others with long German names that I have had and don't feel like looking up.

One of my favorite styles, and one I will drink anytime, any place.

18. steveh

Maybe, but if you're familiar with the likes of Gordon Biersch restaurants or Rock Bottom, they can vary quite a bit between locations. Since this one is so new, I kinda' want the brewmaster to settle in a little. ;)

19. HipsterBrewfus

HipsterBrewfus Jun 3, 2012 Maryland

Gunpowder Falls brewing in PA makes one of the better Dunkels I've had

20. bleakies

bleakies Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

I really like Munich dunkels but I rarely come across any in the handful of shops I frequent. Typically I'll go for the Ayinger; failing that I might pick up a Harpoon Dark, which I like better than most of Harpoon's line.

A year or two ago one of the Sam Adams Longshot brews was a dunkel (I can't recall the name) and it was really good. I wasn't as enthusiastic about the other beers in that pack but I bought an extra anyway just to get two more of the dunkels.

21. BB1313

BB1313 Jul 16, 2009 Ohio

Weyerbacher Slam Dunkel was awesome. They described it as a "Double Dunkelweizen".. it was some unfiltered goodness. I don't know why they retired it, they need to bring it back.

22. steveh

But... that's not a Dunkel, it's a Dunkelweizen.

23. BB1313

BB1313 Jul 16, 2009 Ohio

Good point, I always think of dunkelweizen's first when I hear dunkel. But yeah there's not too many American made Dunkel lagers I can think of, let alone that were good.

24. Domingo

Domingo Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Those are 0.5's, but you can order them in a Maß at Prost, too. In addition to those, they have the standard-looking slightly more squat halbe mugs as well.

yemenmocha likes this.
  25. steveh

Why's that place have to be in Colorado? ;)

26. herrburgess

herrburgess Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

I agree. Charleston, SC, for example, would have been a much easier logistical/shipping feat for the old brewing equipment. ;) On the other hand, I need to get out to Colorado for some skiing anyway.

27. steveh

I tried it when it first came out, so it was pretty fresh, but it just seemed lacking in that good bready character I remembered from Munich.

But yeah, I haven't seen it around me much anymore either.

28. SupremePie

SupremePie Sep 30, 2012 Vermont

nothing quite like a nice glass of Trapp Family Dunkel, probs my favorite of their brews

29. RochefortChris

RochefortChris Oct 2, 2012 North Carolina
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I think it's around $10.99 and the beer and wine store I work at gets it in on a regular basis. It was actually one of my first non-BMC beers.

30. AlexHouston

AlexHouston May 19, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I was actually thinking of trying a dunkel for my next beer, since I got into beer liking hefes and wits. Ah, the good old days before the Russian Imperials and Barleywines spoilted me rotten. I've got a Fat Tire clone waiting to be brewed and aged on some stuff so I won't get around to this for a while, but it is on the agenda.

31. Groomsy

Groomsy Sep 23, 2010 Kentucky

Rivertown Brewing is relatively close to me (Cincinnati) and puts out a Munich Dunkel. I had it in a mix pack a while ago and really enjoyed it. Christian Moerlein also does a dunkel, but I wasn't terribly pleased by it. That was a long time ago, so I may go back and try it again.

If I'm looking for a low ABV and drinkable dark beer, I'll go for Dunkels.

32. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Are we including Schwarzbier's in this discussion? A pretty subtle difference, no? I'm a big fan of Sprecher's Black Bavaria and Harpoon's Munich Dark for easy drinking beers with some depth of flavor. Notch Cerne Pivo is also very good, but that's considered a euro dark lager, despite using munich malt.

33. Uniobrew31

Uniobrew31 Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

exactly!

34. ESHBG

ESHBG Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Dunkels are decent and easy drinkers but I do find them to be just a smidgen on the "meh" side for the most part (and I felt that way long before I really started to get deep into craft beer too).

If you have access to it, Sly Fox makes a decent one (canned too) and I just had one last weekend in fact after not having one for quite some time.

35. diesel59

diesel59 Jan 3, 2012 New York

Ayinger "Ur-weisse"............................. trust me;)

36. jjchristiano

jjchristiano Sep 24, 2009 New Jersey

Dunkel weiss in a half liter glass while at an authentic traditional beer garden in Germany is a thing of beauty every BA needs to experience.

37. VladTepes

VladTepes Oct 18, 2012 Finland

If so, Rogues Dirtoir Black and Ports Midnight Expression are awesome!

38. dennis3951

dennis3951 Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Change the name to German IPA and it will sell!

39. Stahlsturm

Stahlsturm Mar 21, 2005 Germany

I better not comment...

40. jesskidden

jesskidden Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe