Thoughts on Goose Island's 2022 Bourbon County (BCBS) Lineup?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bbtkd, Nov 13, 2022.

1. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,807) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

In past years there would have been one or more threads by now, discussing the impending Goose Island Bourbon County lineup. Here is this year's selection;
    • Bourbon County Stout
    • Bourbon County Coffee Stout (coffee obviously)
    • Bourbon County Biscotti Stout (anise, marzipan, cocoa, buttered toffee)
    • Bourbon County Sir Isaac’s Stout (fig and graham)
    • Bourbon County Proprietor’s Stout (jungle bird cocktail - banana, coconut, lime, pineapple)
    • Bourbon County Two-Year Barleywine Reserve
    • Bourbon County 30th Anniversary Reserve Stout
    Are you looking forward to this year's release on Black Friday? Any speculation on which of them will be in distribution in your area? Are you hating on Goose Island for selling out, or do you feel they're overrated? Are you burnt out on them? Are they just too expensive?

This will be my seventh year hunting them down. We'll get the OG Stout, always do, and it'll still be on shelves in some stores for over a year. Based on the past few years, we'll get Coffee Stout, Biscotti Stout, and Sir Isaac's Stout, though there is a small chance we'll only see two of the three. Also based on past history, we won't see the Two-Year Barleywine or the 30th Anniversary reserve. Of course Proprietor's is not in wide distribution, so we won't see that either. I'm really looking forward to the Coffee, though I've never had it.

What are your thoughts on this year's lineup?

#1 bbtkd, Nov 13, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
  2. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Defender (698) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

As I've mentioned before, I will seek the OG and coffee... And consider it a gift to myself. It's been a LONG time since I had Bourbon County.

3. alucard6679

alucard6679 Aspirant (252) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

Not sure if I’m drawn to the flavor combination of the Biscotti, but who knows, could be amazing. Isaac’s sounds like it’ll be a coin toss. Proprietor’s honestly just sounds gross to me in this context, but that’s just me. OG and Coffee are always a treat. Of the ones that are borderline unattainable (for someone like me, at least, who wants to just be able to walk into your average store and pay regular prices for beer), the barleywine is the only one that really stands out as one that I’d be interested in. I love barleywine, and barleywine aged in Old Fitz barrels sounds delightful. The 30th anniversary, while I’m sure tasty, is pretty much just a blend of stout aged in a slew of Beam barrels. Again, probably good, but nothing I’d buy unless it was right in front of me and reasonable, which it wouldn’t be.

I actually love that these days I can count on regular BCBS being on the shelf for the next few months so that I can grab a couple bottles whenever the mood strikes. Such a great stout, but I don’t miss the days of calling various stores around town and standing in line just to get one 12oz bottle out of four pack.

4. MadMadMike

MadMadMike Devotee (498) Dec 11, 2020 Florida
    Society Trader

I’m big on Barleywine and look forward to this year’s offering. I think it may make it to Florida!
    And Coffee Stout. Yeah. 15%+, plz.,
    Happy to see that there’s no mention of “cinnamon” anything.
    I don’t expect big distro of the 30th Anny Stout. It may be this year’s rarity.
    The rest are somewhere between experiment and gimmick.

I don’t hate on any brewery ‘selling out’. Isn’t that the goal of every business? Money. Money. Money.

Overrated? Probably. Consistency & availability make them rated at all. Their history dictates that I pull out the wallet and give them all a try though. They’ve earned that over the years, IMO.

5. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (2,602) Jun 18, 2010 New York
    Society

I have tickets to a release event at a local place that does a solid job. Looking forward to the Sir Isaac and the Biscotti. They will also have bottles of the 40th Anniversary available.

6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,686) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I would agree 100% with this statement if the "business" discussed themselves in this manner prior to selling out. When a "business" present themselves in a manner as being something else, almost like a community organization where they are dissimilar from the bad "businesses" like Anheuser-Busch, MillerCoors, etc. and their unethical practices.

I personally do not refuse to purchase beers from breweries that decided to sell out like Goose Island, Lagunitas, etc. but I can most certainly see why other craft beer consumers may have differing thoughts here.

Cheers!

7. MadMadMike

MadMadMike Devotee (498) Dec 11, 2020 Florida
    Society Trader

Yea
    Yeah - I appreciate the expansion on my short thought here…

I also don’t pass judgement on brewery business dealings or avoid purchasing product from them.,. so long as the product has not been compromised.
    BCBS still tastes like BCBS.
    DFH 90 still tastes like DFH 90.
    There’s a line between ‘selling’ and ‘selling out’.
    When CANarchy bought Cigar City, Oskar Blues, Squatters & Wasatch breweries, I thought there would be strength for distribution on both coasts.
    But when Monster Beverage Corp became a ‘holding company’ whose sole interest was to enter the alcohol business, I was pissed and felt like CANarchy ‘sold out’, although it was a decision pushed by declining revenues do to COVID.

And me? Beer drinker, not financial guru, so I don’t think too much about it as I’m standing in front of the cooler at the supermarket.,.

8. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (4,480) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Society Trader

I’m still waiting for the “BCBS is back in 12 ounce 4 packs” post. Until then :rolling_eyes:

9. retention_

retention_ Initiate (20) Jan 8, 2022 North Carolina

Coffee and 30th Anniversary are the ones that interest me the most. The Barleywine does interest me too but it's over 15% so we aren't going to get that one here.

10. Rug

Rug Poo-Bah (2,110) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

For the Stouts the Biscotti and Sir Issac sound good, but I'm most hyped for the Barleywine

11. BigIronH

BigIronH Poo-Bah (1,811) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

I like the sound of all of them. I won’t be picking up the Barleywine. My last few experiences with well regarded examples have been less than favorable. I’m starting to think I really don’t like the style. Otherwise, I’ll pick up what I can out of the lot. Cheers.

12. bbtkd

Society Trader

Yeah, that would be handy given the ABV. I suspect they'd keep putting it in custom bottles though.

13. bbtkd

Society Trader

Not that I'm very interested in this year's Proprietor's, but I've always wondered if it's only available at the brewery, or is it usually available on shelves elsewhere in Illinois?

Ozzylizard and ChicagoJ like this.
  14. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (9,005) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

...I don't really care one way or the other about the lineup...I will see what shows up in my area and what the pricing is like...

Ozzylizard and bbtkd like this.
  15. bbtkd

Society Trader

You can bet prices won't be lower than in the past.

Junior, Blogjackets, beergoot and 4 others like this.
  16. rolltide8425

rolltide8425 Meyvn (1,320) Feb 18, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

We usually get everything but Proprietor's in my area. Hoping that's still the case because I want to get my hands on the 30th Anniversary Reserve.

17. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (4,213) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Moderator Society Trader

I'm really hoping that the barleywine makes it out to California!

18. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Meyvn (1,391) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

It’s distro’d to Chicagoland- bottles and drafts.

19. bbtkd

Society Trader

Cool, my son will be in Chicago and St Louis in early December, so hoping he'll be able to find some of the ones I can't get here (Prop, 30th, and Barleywine).

20. HammsMeASAP

HammsMeASAP Initiate (153) Jun 14, 2012 Minnesota

My local Hy-Vee said they're getting all the variants, and they'll be cheaper than last year.....

I'll probably grab a bottle of the regular for sure.

21. Giantspace

Giantspace Meyvn (1,010) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Nope, while the fig sounds like it’s up my alley I won’t pay the price. A few years ago I saw every variety that was available outside of Chicago. Took a photo and moved on. I have found these beers to be high priced and too sweet for my taste. I still have a few that I will get around to one day.

Enjoy

22. Mgh2001

Mgh2001 Initiate (57) Dec 3, 2021
    Trader

Will the Barleywine make it to Massachusetts?

23. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,797) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Maybe you just don’t like the versions of the style that are currently “well regarded” rather than the style as a whole. Barley wines can come in different shapes and sizes.

24. BigIronH

Society Trader

I’m willing to entertain this. If you can make some good recommendations I would be willing to investigate. For instance, I love Mother of all Storms but I do not care for B5K.

25. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Meyvn (1,391) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

You’ll either need to get lucky finding a place that put out a post BlackFriday second wave, or go to their taproom which puts a premium price on their seemingly endless supply of carry out bottles

26. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Savant (933) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

I am sure you can get the BW, so be sure to get one for me. I'll send you something you like. :wink:

27. Beer_Economicus

Trader

It IS back in 4-packs at 12oz each...sort of. Not clear yet (from what I can see) if that is limited to Chicago only. Also, it's limited. There is suggestion that this could be a test run for BCBS to return to 12oz bottles for the BASE.

28. Resistance88

Resistance88 Zealot (574) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

Ive never had bcbs bwine although ive sent a few 2017s out. Maybe ill do a side by side ...or ... not. ive said i would do side by sides so many times and never have.
    This years BWine i will maybe hunt.... if its under 30 dollars :rolling_eyes:
    Also, did you say 12oz bottles for bass??

beergoot, Ozzylizard, Rug and 7 others like this.
  29. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Are you blackmailing me into sending you a 12oz BCBBW? Fine.

Ozzylizard, Rug, bbtkd and 1 other person like this.
  30. BigIronH

Society Trader

No doubt!

Ozzylizard and bbtkd like this.
  31. BruChef

BruChef Initiate (194) Nov 8, 2009 New York

No option to SLAP like on BA.

Ozzylizard, Rug, BigIronH and 2 others like this.
  32. Celtics76

Celtics76 Crusader (788) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

I was all about Bourbon County and all its variants from around 2011-2018. I eventually realized the variants were overrated/overpriced so I settled in to buying 2-3 of the base beer every year - one to have immediately, and a couple more to age. This year, I'm probably going to buy either one or none. I still love it, it's just really hard to find the time to put one down (I usually don't have anyone to share with), and I try to avoid splitting it over 2 days for obvious reasons.

I currently have one each of 2017 thru 2021 so my goal is to drink 2017 (it's not recommended to age more than 5 years) before I think about buying more.

33. adrock314

adrock314 Savant (957) Apr 14, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I can see myself getting a couple of the Coffee and maybe one each of the Biscotti and Sir Isaac. The 2 year Barleywine sounds great but the prices here for the Reserves are crazy. I bought multiple Toasted and a 150 last year and they are just too expensive. The beer was good but not 3-4x as good as the base beer as the price would suggest. Lately I've really been appreciating the base beer. I've had some 2-4 year old bottles the past few weeks and they've been stellar. I skipped the 2021 base BCBS because I had too many in the cellar but I think I need to grab a few 2022 bottles to refresh the supply - or it may be cheaper to just grab a few of last year's base beer for a discount bc it's definitely still on shelves here. That and Cherry Wood are still pretty common right now.

34. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (5,439) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Well, this may be the first year in awhile that I actually try to go get some BCBS on Black Friday. The Coffee Stout and Two-Year Barleywine are of interest. I'd also buy the Reserve Stout, price pending, but am mostly interested in the first two.

35. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (3,655) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I was in the same camp, barleywine sounds great but not worth the hassle ot price. Then I tried some 2-year Barrel aged wheatwines from GI that were amazing. FOMO kickin' in again...

36. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,365) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Prop sounds weird, but they’ve never had a prop that wasn’t good. Rest seem reasonable. Bringing back regular coffee was an absolute necessity, why did it take this long?!?

I’ve generally been a big proponent of their experimentation and weird variants but last couple of years it was beginning to get off the chain. This year seems to have scaled back, with only one crazy variant (even biscotti isn’t that out there and the fig and graham is more along the lines of a regular fruited variant which almost always is a home run).

37. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (6,378) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

May I borrow your rose-colored glasses?

38. readyski

readyski Defender (605) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Pretty sure only the first 4 will be available locally. Likely will get a couple regulars and a variant or 2. Per usual.

Ozzylizard, BigIronH and Harrison8 like this.
  39. Beer_Economicus

Trader

I think people are going to be disappointed when they see the prices for these. It appears that:
    • 30th & 2yr BW ~ $45-50
    • Coffee ~ $30
    • Sir Isaac & Biscotti ~ $30
    • 4-packs of reg (If distributed out of Chicago - not seen anything on this yet) ~ $40-45

eppCOS, DCH, Ozzylizard and 7 others like this.
  40. BruChef

BruChef Initiate (194) Nov 8, 2009 New York

Yikes! What’s your source?