Thrillist: There are almost no black people brewing craft beer. Here's why.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Clemskis, Dec 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clemskis

Clemskis Aspirant (232) Jul 25, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

2. LennyOvies

LennyOvies Defender (658) Jul 22, 2015 Mexico
    Beer Trader

Answering the 4th point in the article: Nope.

3. dwagner003

dwagner003 Poo-Bah (1,634) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

See 18th Street.

4. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Savant (919) Nov 3, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

This absolutely does not matter.

5. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Devotee (459) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Wtf kind of article is that??

Anyway.....

#5 Invinciblejets, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  6. Satchboogie

Satchboogie Savant (965) Oct 16, 2010 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

It's probably just more of a cultural thing. There are MANY cultures that don't drink or brew craft beer, 'black people' MIGHT be one of them, I'm not sure I label 'black people' as a culture though, or at least not one single culture. And that gets me to this: why do we constantly insist that EVERYTHING be diverse? Maybe they just don't like it and don't want it. No, that can't be it, there must be something wrong, we need to market it to them... Marketing to a 'black customer' is part of the problem. You are TELLING them who they are and what they like, not just letting THEM make the choice.

Seriously, can we just stop talking about 'black' this and 'white' that. The only time skin color should come up is as a descriptor. There is NO reason to lump everyone with a certain skin color into one group. 'Black people' have very different backgrounds and heritages. It's just ridiculous. Anytime I come across one of those stupid "check one box" questions about "race (skin color ISN"T a race)" or what ever bullshit they label it as, I just want to write "F*CK YOU, biggot." WTF...

#6 Satchboogie, Dec 4, 2015
  7. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Savant (948) Aug 12, 2007 Connecticut

I recall a time when there were almost no white people rapping. Who gives a f*ck? The editor of that piece should find another means to support his family. An article like this doesn't even come close to representing the people that don't have a voice to represent themselves. In other words, there are myriad cultures knee deep in brewing, but we have no TRUE way to measure this, currently. You are NOT the eye in the sky, sir.

swolepeer, Highbrow, MUTINY and 15 others like this.
  8. RobNewton

RobNewton Disciple (327) Dec 30, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

Uggggghhh I hate myself for liking a thrillist article.

Is this video the equivalent of "I have a black friend?"

I agree with the sentiment of the post 100%. I want as many people making beer as possible so that we can get as much great beer as possible! All situations being "fair and accessible enough" we should expect to have more diverse brewers, and this includes women too. Reason #4 in the article is the entire point. You never know where talent exists and you want to make sure there's opportunity for that talent to shine.

There's an obvious inequality issue as per who can afford to pay $15-$20 a 4 pack that I'm reminded of whenever I'm waiting in line for cans at Other Half.

I don't think we're ready to talk about the cultural appropriation issue at all! Look at some of these beer names even.

With all that said, I don't see this thread lasting long.

Also why are you all so angry about even just considering there might be an issue?

9. Beef_Curtains

Beef_Curtains Devotee (445) Oct 14, 2013 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I see black people at bottle shops and craft beer bars all the time

10. BigDaddyWarbuxx

BigDaddyWarbuxx Initiate (0) May 25, 2015 Iowa

"Beer has a long history of racism"
    Well then I guess that explains why I never see any black people ever drinking beer. Oh wait, I do? Huh. Well, I guess that explanation just went out the window.

In all seriousness, fuck this SJW faux-progressive bullshit.

11. joeyjoey104

joeyjoey104 Aspirant (273) Aug 2, 2014 California

I could care less! PC culture run amuck. Does that mean we are all racist because we drink white people made craft beer? This is why the terrorist will win.

Hop_God, redrocker, leantom and 8 others like this.
  12. Jacobob10

Jacobob10 Poo-Bah (1,512) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Subscriber

"3. Craft brewing requires money and time"

Wow. Just wow.

13. joeyjoey104

He mentions blacks have a harder time securing bank loans than whites, yet fails to mention that it is well documented that Asians have an easier time securing bank loans than whites... so where are all the Asian craft breweries?

14. joeyjoey104

You pay 15-20 dollars a four pack? WTF. This is why the terrorist win & America doesn't.

russpowell and Dragginballs76 like this.
  15. Dragginballs76

Dragginballs76 Meyvn (1,354) Nov 13, 2015 South Carolina
    Subscriber Beer Trader

This is why I take a break from the news, someone always looking for a way to push people apart I made it this far “It seems like craft beer has been closely tied to an experience that a lot of people of color either don't want to be a part of or don’t feel welcome engaging with,” and realized whoever wrote this is a moron. Awful article!

Hop_God, laketang, riverlen and 2 others like this.
  16. dcotom

dcotom Meyvn (1,169) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa

“God forbid you want a ‘regular’ beer instead of an 18% homebrewed bacon-infused IPA..."

Is this really a thing? 'Cause if it is, I want some.

IckyT2012, RockAZ, Erikone and 12 others like this.
  17. RobNewton

RobNewton Disciple (327) Dec 30, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

This is an ad hominem.

I'm sorry I'm not the person that can broaden your perspective. The best I can suggest is maybe reading "No Name in the Street" by James Baldwin or anything by Ta-Nehisi Coates.

Unrelated, I don't think I need to defend paying $15 a 4 pack for OH beers, or $20 for a 4 pack of AGE. In particular noting your AGE rating of 4.73.

I appreciation your willingness to converse on a topic like this, but I don't think you're willing to make it productive. Flame more if you'd like, but I won't be dignifying terrorist remarks with another response.

PuckIt, Gajo74, grilledsquid and 11 others like this.
  18. Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas

Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas Aspirant (292) Aug 24, 2015 Texas
    Beer Trader

I could write a 50-page graduate-school style dissertation on why this article helps destroy the fabric of America (and community in general).

But, luckily it looks like everyone who's posted prior to me has already made the points I'd make, and some have used much more colorful language then I would.

Grow up America.

And @Clemskis, stop reading the garbage on Thrillist.

19. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,085) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

I look at it like this..craft beer isnt even really and truly "mainstream" as a function of market share. Craft makes up ~18% by volume of all beer sales. So, that means 82out of 100 folks regardless of color are drinking macro/import. What I infer from that is that craft hasnt caught on with everybody yet, not necessarily that it has been occluding people. I didnt take time to read the article, but maybe craft beer is too early in its cycle to determine if any discriminatory practices exist?

20. Brolo75

Brolo75 Poo-Bah (1,535) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Soon as I read T. Coates I stopped reading. Coates likes to exaggerate racism in America. Just because a particular food or drink does not appeal to a majority of one particular race doesn't make it racist.

21. AugustusRex

AugustusRex Devotee (408) Apr 12, 2013 Ontario (Canada)

Isn't the head brewer at Brooklyn Brewery Black? That's all I can think of.

**(Didn't read the article)

22. Soxfan45

Soxfan45 Aspirant (201) Jun 28, 2013 Connecticut

Garrett Oliver from Brooklyn brewing. He also wrote a GREAT book on pairing beer with food called The Brewmasters Table.

JavaNoire and AngryDutchman like this.
  23. Smokingtony

Smokingtony Initiate (153) Nov 14, 2014 Texas

For anyone commenting about Garrett Oliver: you should read the article before you comment.

With that said, some of the points are obvious and some of the points were ignorant. Overall, I found the article to be poorly written and the topic itself is irrelevant.

LagersAndAles and AB_Inbev like this.
  24. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (7,360) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

Nothing to add, a I guess I am too old to give such matters thought. Craft beer is still a niche product in my neck of the woods which is mostly white with a little Native American as well. People around here don't really have the $ or time & of they did, it would get spent on 4-wheelers, bass boats & hunting stuff.

bubseymour, MJ64, Dandrewjohn and 3 others like this.
  25. Beerrito

Beerrito Initiate (161) Jan 4, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

What an unnecessary article. Race and craft beer? One of the good things about craft beer is that it unites people and all we care about is the content and color of our beer. Articles like these are best when ignored.

Hop_God, Aus_Nomad, szmnnl99 and 6 others like this.
  26. HorseheadsHopHead

HorseheadsHopHead Savant (936) Sep 15, 2014 New York

Sooo....what? Should we have affirmative action for breweries now? There's nothing stopping African-Americans from getting into craft beer. Some niche interests might be simply more homogenized, incidentally. Of course I'd like to see more black people drinking craft beer, as I'd like to see more of all types of people drinking craft beer, but what's the answer? Why must race-baiting have to pollute everything?

Oh, and Joe D. is a pretty cool guy. I like watching his reviews.

leantom, Kuaff, Beer21 and 11 others like this.
  27. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (246) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

There's very few white guys in the NBA.

28. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Devotee (459) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

What.

lester619 likes this.
  29. DeadWalkerAir

DeadWalkerAir Zealot (586) Jan 7, 2014 South Carolina
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Thrillist has and always will be the epitome of clickbait

swolepeer, JimsArcade, 4truth and 4 others like this.
  30. conoraugustine

conoraugustine Aspirant (212) Feb 17, 2015 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Oh great now social justice warriors are targeting beer

31. chrisjws

chrisjws Crusader (750) Dec 3, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

He should add a point 6 where he just prints out half the responses to this thread.

32. oudebueuze

oudebueuze Initiate (170) Dec 12, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Everyone crying about political correctness, race-baiting, name-dropping Garret Oliver (see, craft beer has black friends!), or saying craft beer's diversity problem is merely incidental, CLEARLY hasn't read the article. There are spots that could've been researched or written better (Thrillest limitations notwithstanding), but the author approaches the subject with a more deft hand than I would have.

If you think it's not even an issue worth discussing, you might be part of the problem.

33. 5thOhio

5thOhio Devotee (499) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

Written, like much of PC today, to make the author feel morally superior.
    "I'm concerned about this, but you aren't so I had to tell you."

34. sinkas

sinkas Aspirant (201) Jul 9, 2008 Australia
    Beer Trader

While the article might be a pretty easy target for the author,
    I think it is a reasonable question to ask,
    In Australia, craft beer, is ultra white,
    and of course full of tattooed ,
    bearded hipsters

35. beersnobraven

beersnobraven Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2014 Illinois

Okay, so that's ONE brewer.

36. ions

ions Aspirant (269) Jan 28, 2014 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Shroud0fdoom and jkblodge like this.
  37. Clemskis

Clemskis Aspirant (232) Jul 25, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

Sorry to get everyone raging, definitely not the point. I just thought it was an interesting article about a topic that is sometimes brushed aside, nothing more.

Deleted, cjgiant, beerwolf and 8 others like this.
  38. lester619

lester619 Devotee (472) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I know this is ridiculously naive pipe dream, but could we some day get to the point where everyone is treated as an individual and not labeled and lumped together by their race?

#39 lester619, Dec 4, 2015
    PJ_, swolepeer, cjgiant and 9 others like this.
  39. nc41

nc41 Meyvn (1,387) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Lol if your black only King Cobra will do. Can we please remove this kind of crap. I see plenty of people at good beer bars of all colors. I see plenty of white guys in flannel shirts and beards sucking on a Bud Light , so what? Maybe it's old marketing strategies that drive this stuff.

5thOhio, russpowell and VABA like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.