Through the wall 3 tap hidden keezer build -Done

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by martianpc, Jul 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. martianpc

martianpc Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2013 Pennsylvania

I just built a through the wall keezer setup. I have a bar in the room already. I built the bar to hold two refrigerators, one for wine and one for soda and bottled beer. I also built a wine rack into it. The top is brushed stainless that I had bent locally.

This site has been beyond helpful to me in learning how to build a keezer. I did not find any examples of people putting it behind a wall and not seeing it. The closest I saw was someone who cut a whole in the wall and pushed the freezer up to it from the back.

I needed to make sure the lines stayed cold and I wanted the taps to be at a nice height on the wall. This ruled out having long shanks that just went into the collar because I would have needed to life the keezer up, that would really make lifting kegs in difficult.

I am using all Stainless steel as well as Perlick 525ss faucets.

The solution was to build a box that would house the shanks. I took the idea from coffin keezers and just made it externally.

Everything works perfectly and the system is nicely balanced. Here are the pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I finished the underside of the drip tray so the drain tube was hidden. Here is the result.

[​IMG]

2. inchrisin

inchrisin Defender (654) Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

Very Shiny! Nicely done, sir.

3. No1Smitty

No1Smitty Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Thank you for quenching my thirst for a build thread. Nicely done !

4. PortLargo

PortLargo Devotee (455) Oct 19, 2012 Florida

As nice as it is unique. I see a couple of DC transformers, so I know you have fans circulating cool air.

You now officially qualify as a master plumber, carpenter, metalworker, paint/stain/varnish'er, electrician, thermodynamicist, and probably psychologist & grief counselor. BTW, these skills are all transferable to being a homebrewer . . . you've proven you have patience, add a little chemist and you're there.

5. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,444) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Very nice. Have you found that the lines stay cold enough to avoid 'first pour foam?'

6. mikehartigan

mikehartigan Aspirant (290) Apr 9, 2007 Illinois

I've been trying to come up with a simple way to chill the lines on their way to my bar-mounted tower. I like the idea of installing the fan on the return duct - pretty obvious, once you see it :)

Excellent job!

7. DougC123

DougC123 Devotee (468) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut
    Subscriber

Commercial kegerators make use of a fan in the box and deliver the cold air via flex tube directly to the shanks, and let the return air cool the lines. It will be intersting to hear how this set up works for the OP in terms of foam, as the shanks will not be directly cooled and subject to room temperature on the finished side.

8. mikehartigan

mikehartigan Aspirant (290) Apr 9, 2007 Illinois

Not sure I understand. As long as the shanks are in the chilled space, they'll be chilled. The faucets, themselves, are room temp, but that's the case with any line/shank cooling system.

9. DougC123

Subscriber

The shanks will be chilled, but not as chilled if the air was being delivered directly to the back of the shanks. In this system the air is being drawn into the 4" PVC pipe with the beer lines and is presumably giving up some of it's cold along the way, and then the outlet in the wall box and the fan for the return are right next to each other so depending on the speed and cfm's of the fan, a large protion of the cold charge may be looped right back out. The colder the shank, the colder the faucet. I get condensation drips from my faucet right under the shut off, so the cold is getting pretty far out to the end of the system.

Will it be warm, no. Will it be as cold as the rest of the system, maybe not. That's why I'm curious to see how this perfoms in regards to foam.

10. martianpc

Yep, I have not had any problems with first pour issues. I am able to pour a glass without having to stop and wait for foam. The fan is a Vantac Tornado that has the voltage stepped down from 12v to 7.5v. This made it nice and quite. It is mounted to a wood board that has been cut out to exactly 3.5 inches to slip over the pvc pipe very snugly. This prevents loose air from not going through the pipe. Because of the fan in the bottom that draws air to the top and is pointed towards the intake pipe I have plenty of nice cold air to be fed through the system. I run a dehumidifier to keep my humidity really low, however if I forget to run it I do get condensation on the faucets.

I am picking up a new backing for that box tomorrow that is going to be 1" thick acrylic and I will use that as a cover instead of the wood. That should help to keep it even cooler in the box. I am going to also put a styrofoam block wrapped in foil tap in the middle between the pipes. However I need to buy something that comes packed in styrofoam so I have the material to do that. This will help to direct the air right over the shanks and avoid and dead space in that box.

Thank you all very much for the kind words about my build. I enjoy reading them.

I will try to make a walk through and first pour video later this week/weekend. Whenever the next time I get a beer is.

kawilliams81 likes this.
  11. DougC123

Subscriber

Sounds like a winner, nice work.

12. RendoMike

RendoMike Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

Brilliant job! Now I really wish I had a place I could set something like that up.

13. martianpc

Here is a pour video promised. The beer is Hoegaarden. The system hadn't been used for a few days so this was a definite first pour in terms of the line temperatures being cold from just the box they are in.

TonyMorrell and RendoMike like this.
  14. kegnut

kegnut Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2013

Looks great! Can you share the manufacturer of the chest freezer you used? I like the size of it, and I'm shopping for one that will fit behind my bar similar to your setup.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.

Learn More
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.

Learn More
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Learn More