Tired Hands (2022)

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by Bhubbard34, Jan 24, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bhubbard34

Bhubbard34 Defender (621) Mar 4, 2016 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Let’s get this chat started

crankshaft and jonphisher like this.
  2. Bhubbard34

Society Trader

Just cracked this tonight….Pitted Allusions…anyone else try it? I personally think it’s really good….great stone fruit flavors, but not overly sour. I know the whole Jean thing hurt them…but they’re still cranking out some of the best saisons out there imo

[​IMG]

3. GoldenWort

GoldenWort Initiate (96) Apr 17, 2009 Pennsylvania

Looking forward to it after it's delivered 2maroh... amongst other stuff...

crankshaft likes this.
  4. Griffin2

Griffin2 Meyvn (1,368) Aug 22, 2014 Virginia
    Society Trader

Strawberry Milkshake IPA available today.

Bhubbard34 likes this.
  5. Bhubbard34

Society Trader

Yup looks like their milkshakes will officially be back…wonder what changed?

6. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,487) Feb 22, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I mean, it stopped pretty much right after last year's MeToo stuff . . . I always thought that Omnipollo was distancing themselves from Jean after that, maybe they think enough time has passed? Weird there's been no follow-up news about the employee-management thing.

7. Griffin2

Griffin2 Meyvn (1,368) Aug 22, 2014 Virginia
    Society Trader

Today is Planet Punge day at Tired Hands. I really like Punge a lot, but these Punge variants don't sound that exciting.

HAWAIIAN PUNGE MILKSHAKE IPA 7.5% abv. Base of our traditional Double IPA, PUNGE and a lil lactose for that extra creaminess. Hit hard in the fermenter with traditional Hawaiian Punch flavors of Guava, Papaya, Pineapple, Apricot, Blood Orange, and Passion Fruit. Notes of Swedish fish, eating the whole bag of Jolly Ranchers at once, hibiscus tea, and freshly opened can of Juicy Juice.

HAPPIE PUNGIE: Our DDH Nelson Sauvin and Motueka Seltzer. Very clean. 6.4% abv.

PLANET PUNGE: IntraConically Hopped Double IPA 7.5% abv. Brewed with our base PUNGE malts but dry hopped with our favorite NZ Nelson Sauvin and Motueka all throughout fermentation. Notes of grapefruit peels, blood oranges, gummy candies, and under ripe mangoes.

CRISP PUNGE: Dry Hopped NZ Rice Lager 5.0% abv. A lager version of our classic PUNGE. Brewed with German Pilsner malt and flaked rice. Notes of fresh cut Spring grass, Hyacinth petals, Jasmine tea, ground straw and Easter flowers.

DISPENSARY PUNGE: Oak Fermented NZ DIPA. This iteration was fermented on our Magickal Dispensary saison yeast and aged in oak. Dry-hopped with big ol’ bong-rippin’ amounts of Nelson Sauvin, Motueka and NZ Cascade. Notes of whatever weed you like. 9.8% abv.

PUNGE: Our Nelson Sauvin and Motueka Double IPA 8.3% abv. Brewed with malted oats and hopped and dry hopped with NZ Nelson Sauvin and Motueka. PUNGE is PUNGE is PUNGE is PUNGE. Notes of cotton candy grapes, Mandarin orange, guava candies, and musky green melon.

DDH PUNGIE: Our crushable PUNGE 4.5% abv. Brewed with oats and hopped with Motueka and Simcoe. Dry hopped with Nelson Sauvin and Motueka, then with NZ Cascade/Pacific Jade. Notes of Blue Raspberry, Key Lime Pie and Cotton Candy.

8. Chroma914

Chroma914 Initiate (90) Oct 13, 2006 Pennsylvania

Mind blowing how the hype has completely died for this place.

Rfro5 and Bhubbard34 like this.
  9. William_Navidson

William_Navidson Disciple (340) May 1, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Also of note, looks like Jean is very much involved (based on Insta posts) (and maybe never stepped away fully?). Very disappointed to hear that the employee model was, apparently, a failure and will personally make me less likely to buy their product going forward.

10. Chroma914

How was the employee model a failure?

11. William_Navidson

Trader

... in that it didn't happen, and they didn't transfer ownership to employees?

12. Chroma914

Yeah. I mean I had heard it mentioned but they never made anything else public. Guess it either didn’t happen or they didn’t feel the need to advertise it. Either way, I stopped going there due to the quality of the beer dropping considerably in the last couple of months. Hard to justify the price tag when you have OH easily available now and that’s much more consistent, quality wise.

13. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Poo-Bah (1,875) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

Do you know why the quality dropped off recently? I’ve only been able to try their beers a few times and thought it was excellent, so that’s disappointing to hear.

14. stairway2heavn

stairway2heavn Initiate (139) Aug 17, 2017 New Jersey

Anecdotally right before everything happened they were my go to, but much like other half I only got core beers. The saisons and pilsners were still good. I assume though he is referring to the IPAs. They were, at the time, doing a lot of DDH/TDH versions of core beers. I thought it was often good but I remember avoiding most things with galaxy except the alien church with citra galaxy. Often the ddh/tdh galaxy stuff had that meh flavor a lot of galaxy has lately. Also a few of the core beers are mostly or exclusively galaxy. But sounds like this is more all encompassing of their hazy stuff which is interesting. @JayORear I recall and a few others were all in the amped up grassman and a couple others, and at the time, no disagreement here, they were usually good to great, and even better since you could get a nice pilsner or saison in your order too. Haven't had any since the stories all came to light though, and with human robot on lagers doubt I'll ever be tempted to go back when I'm in the area.

15. Bhubbard34

Society Trader

While I haven’t had a ton of their stuff recently, what I have had has still been really good. Hop Hands remains hard to beat for lower abv and full of flavor, and ouriserva and pitted allusions, the two most recent saisons I’ve had are both top notch

William_Navidson likes this.
  16. JayORear

Society Trader

It’s crazy how, out of seven variants, there’s literally not one outside of the base version I’m remotely interested in.

17. Chroma914

I can only guess, but I think they had a head brewer turnover in the last few months and it's been noticeable to me. I haven't tried much since February or so, so I can't comment on how things are at this moment. I also thought the DDH galaxy beers were a but abrasive, but that may have been more about the hop crop than the quality of the batch.

DrStiffington likes this.
  18. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Poo-Bah (2,057) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

The recent batch of Trendler Pilsner canned 4/14 is the best lager batch I have had from TH outside maybe the original Oktoberfest.

19. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (862) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

They had free shipping so I ordered a few different things. I haven't had anything since Jean supposedly stepped down. Not sure what's going on with that, but these beers are just as good as I remember them being.

How is it up in Philly though? Are they still getting lots of business? Judging from Instagram (lol) the hype has died down a lot. That could be a number of things though.

jonphisher likes this.
  20. jonphisher

jonphisher Poo-Bah (1,520) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Sorry I do not have any answers to your questions but I am personally very much looking forward to the Brew Cafe finally reopening. I have not been out that way in years but once I have some time I may get out there for a panini and some hop hands.

NodEast likes this.
  21. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,821) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Is there an announcement for this? Is there a scheduled date for the re-opening?

Cheers!

jonphisher likes this.
  22. Topease

Topease Initiate (90) Nov 18, 2016 Maryland
    Trader

June 4th per their IG.

NodEast, JackHorzempa and jonphisher like this.
  23. Bhubbard34

Society Trader

Recently had Eviserated Pathway and Grassman…the beers are as good as always despite the hype dying. The truth is they still make damn good beers and are a top brewery

24. JayORear

Society Trader

Agreed, and I still think it's weird that no one cares/asks about a follow-up to everything that went down last year. Like we're all just supposed to pretend it never happened?

25. William_Navidson

Trader

Plenty of people have asked in forums like this one, there just haven't been any answers (that I've seen). If anyone has ideas on how to get a response I'd be interested... my impression is that the brewery is not at all responsive on social media and is pretty accustomed to just deleting the comments they don't like.

JayORear likes this.
  26. TomFoley

TomFoley Aspirant (260) Mar 19, 2005 Pennsylvania

same as it ever was.

Sheppard and jmdrpi like this.
  27. Chroma914

I don't think (and this is just me speculating) Jean fully stepped away from TH. Possibly from daily operations & the social media posts, but he was still running things. Which wouldn't be a huge surprise, as it's his company.

I did see some IG posts from a month ago that hinted that he was using burner accounts to make comments on some Fishtown IG page that was surveying what to do with the space that used to be the beer garden. People quickly picked up on it, called him out, and sent screenshots to various beer influencers who reposted things.

28. TomFoley

various beer influencers?

Is this why we have hazy beers and pastry stouts?

29. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,821) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

If the "beer influencers" genuinely have the ability to influence which sorts of beer the craft beer consumers purchase than the answer to your second question is "yes".

Frequently on BA posts there are folks who 'complain' that there are too many Juicy/Hazy IPAs on tap (or the beer retailers' shelves) but the situation here is that much of the craft beer market is demanding those sorts of beers.

Cheers!

jonphisher likes this.
  30. William_Navidson

Trader

Anyone making it into the anniversary release tomorrow?

31. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (8,987) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

I always assumed their game plan was to make a statement about change, then lay low until people forget. Did anyone ever really expect an ownership change?
    From the PLCB public database:

OFFICERS [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ALEX PELTZ (MEMBER 1% )
    CHRISTOPHER CLAIR (MEMBER 1% )
    DAVID EVANS (MEMBER 1% )
    ELIZABETH REED (MEMBER 1% )
    ERIC NORQUIST (MEMBER 2% )
    GALE FOSTER (MEMBER 3% )
    HOWARD FOSTER (MEMBER 3% )
    HOWARD T JOHNSTON JR (MEMBER 2% )
    JEAN BROILLET IV (MANAGING MEMBER 40% )
    JIM MILLER (MEMBER 1% )
    JOSEPH TRENDLER (MEMBER 2% )
    JULIE FOSTER (MEMBER 40% )
    MATTHEW OAKES (MEMBER 1% )
    MEGHAN A MCGETTIGAN (MEMBER 1% )
    MICHAEL INGRASSIA (MEMBER 1% )
    PAUL COPPOLA (MEMBER 1% )
    PAUL W ROACH (MEMBER 1% )
    RICHARD B RUCH (MEMBER 1% )
    RICHARD GUYER (MEMBER 1% )
    SHAUN HILL (MEMBER 1% )
    STEVE LANDER (MEMBER 2% )

cysiam likes this.
  32. Bhubbard34

Society Trader

Was pretty unimpressed with the list they put out for this. Would expect some bigger beers for a big anniversary like a BA stout, or waxed saison lol. A bunch of collab ipas isn’t something I expected

dcolatriano and JayORear like this.
  33. William_Navidson

Trader

Not to mention Julie and family, which make up (at least) another 43%.

Perhaps it was naïveté, but I was really hoping the rumblings about an employee-led buyout were possible.

jmdrpi likes this.
  34. Topease

Topease Initiate (90) Nov 18, 2016 Maryland
    Trader

https://www.inquirer.com/food/workplace-harassment-restaurants-brewing-tired-hands-20210527.html

"Until Tired Hands brought on a full-time HR director in 2018, Broillet’s wife and co-founder, Julie Foster, who is also an attorney, acted as the brewery’s HR officer. While it’s not uncommon for small breweries and startups to skip or skimp on human resources, Tired Hands employees often felt uncomfortable coming to Foster with problems."

Yea, that seems like a problem.

"Going forward, Broillet “is not going to be present or involved in any aspect of the business,” he wrote. Berliner indicated there have been conversations about Broillet and Foster divesting their stake in the company. Foster left the company in March 2021. She “also made it clear that she stands in solidarity with the staff. Julie also made a commitment to not pursue legal action against Brienne Allan or any staff for their actions in this matter,” he wrote."

Guess that didn't happen

jmdrpi and William_Navidson like this.
  35. stairway2heavn

stairway2heavn Initiate (139) Aug 17, 2017 New Jersey

Wait for the next news cycle right? Omnipollo is back in with them as the milkshakes came back. So it goes I guess.

jmdrpi likes this.
  36. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Poo-Bah (1,807) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I was raised in Michigan so forgive my math ability but that seems like 107%?!

37. TomFoley

I also get 107%. Hipster math.

An interesting list.

38. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (8,987) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Ha, I didnt even notice. Maybe some half percents got rounded up?

hoppytobehere and PA-Michigander like this.
  39. Bhubbard34

Society Trader

Tired Hands just announced some new saisons being released today. Nowhere near def sounds interesting

[​IMG]

40. KingforaDay

KingforaDay Crusader (761) Aug 5, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

Most conspicuous on that list is Shaun Hill at 1%.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.