Tired of New England IPAs

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BRLockwood, Jul 10, 2019.

1. BRLockwood

BRLockwood Aspirant (247) Aug 1, 2005 Florida

Ok enough already with the “New England” style IPA’s! I get that it’s a new “style”and is all the rage for a bit but enough is enough! They really aren’t that good in my opinion and recently I’ve been to two breweries that normally sell exceptional beers but have recently switched to all NE IPA’s or almost all NE IPA’s! How about some diversity in the style!? I understand that people may like them but don’t switch your whole line over to one style! I’m definitely a hop head but I’ve had enough NE style IPA’s to last me a lifetime! Bash me if you want (Miles) but I’m just asking for a little diversity! Rant over!

2. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (789) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Trader

Well crafted west coast/old school IPA >> well crafted NEIPA.

zestd, Porphyry, westlaunboy and 43 others like this.
  3. rozzom

rozzom Champion (818) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Did you just get out of jail?

4. Seal4676

Seal4676 Initiate (30) Apr 23, 2016 Michigan

Agreed! I am also tired of NE IPAs! West coast is far superior. I know the craze will wear off, but I'm hoping it'll be sooner rather than later.

LarryV, puboflyons, storm72 and 11 others like this.
  5. BRLockwood

Nope - never - just tired of the IPA takeover!

JimboBrews54 likes this.
  6. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,619) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

When I'm tired of something, I will get something else, and support those who make or sell what I enjoy.

sulldaddy, KevSal, puck1225 and 43 others like this.
  7. BRLockwood

Agreed - but when the whole brewery is taken over it seems a little much!

LarryV, storm72, jcos and 2 others like this.
  8. rgordon

rgordon Savant (939) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Isn't that spelled gaol?

kemoarps, JimKal, JayORear and 5 others like this.
  9. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,432) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I never went ga-ga for NEIPAs and I still enjoy an occasional one when in the mood (Old Nation is easy to get here). Like other posters, I prefer the west coast version and drink many more in that category than I do NEIPAs.

10. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,354) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Same here. When they're good (NEIPA's), they can be really, really good, but so many are so-so at best. I get the impression that a lot of breweries feel they have to make one or two (as after all, they're all the rage), but it often times seems like they're heart isn't in it. At least out here, it seems like for every one I come across that's really, really good, there are two or three that fall into the so-so, here we go again category. It just wears me out, and I've become increasingly hesitant to try new ones.

LarryV, storm72, jcos and 7 others like this.
  11. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Champion (895) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Society

Not going to lie, I love to bash on "hazies." I can definitely appreciate a good one. I tend to like the drier ones, if you can believe they exist. The overly murky, overly juicy, thicc stuff that's more popular ain't doing it for me.

I'll tell you this, though. One positive that's come from all this haze craze, it's REALLY made me appreciate a good west coast IPA. I had been taking them for granted for so long. Now that they are a little fewer and further between, I relish finding good, fresh ones.

At this same time, I've also come to appreciate clearer styles again. I used to find them boring but now I've come back around on pilsners and lagers in general. They're crisp, clean, and clear--the opposite of hazies--and I think that's why I'm digging on them now more than ever.

12. Nhens0016

Nhens0016 Aspirant (248) Aug 23, 2013 Louisiana
    Trader

Good “get off my lawn” debate going on here. Plenty of great beer out there and I get multiple styles all the time.

13. alucard6679

alucard6679 Aspirant (218) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

I find it annoying when regional breweries that I love feel obligated to make one (or more) to stay current, which people will inevitably complain about anyway and say that it's not true to style.

LarryV, Ranbot, PABrewReview and 6 others like this.
  14. Crusader

Crusader Aspirant (275) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

It sounds like those New Englanders have been up to no good for quite some time.

"The quantity of hops given depends upon the kind and character of ale to be produced and varies very widely, from one-quarter of a pound to four pounds of hops per barrel. In the production of stock ales and cloudy ales, the latter of which have become a very much favored beverage in certain parts of the New England States, especially in Massachusetts, a certain quantity of hops is added to the ale in the barrel itself, and the ale is then either primed and allowed to go through a secondary fermentation, or the ale is sent out in barrels containing these hops without being primed. Without going into a detailed description of the purposes of dry hopping, every brewer knows when and where to apply the hops so as to conform with the particular requirements of the trade."

Pure Products, page 417, v.12 1916.

:stuck_out_tongue:

15. CrimeDog

CrimeDog Aspirant (221) Dec 31, 2015 New York

I love NEIPA's but West Coasties are always great to come back to.....

beerluvr, BRLockwood and fegelFatso like this.
  16. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,619) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yeah, but it seems that the crowd they're trying to attract prefers things that way.

BRLockwood, johnInLA and Bitterbill like this.
  17. Mrstiffington

Mrstiffington Initiate (87) Jun 8, 2018 New Jersey
    Trader

I’m definitely getting somewhat tired of them (although I still buy them) and have been purposely searching out more lagers, saisons, pale ales, etc. I get the OP’s point, but this is what sells right now. The breweries need to make money. Blame the NE style loving crowd. Same with all the 13% dessert stouts. If everyone lined up for saisons (not that I’m in favor of lining up either), breweries would make more of them!

Ranbot, puboflyons, jcos and 4 others like this.
  18. Obsidian81

Obsidian81 Initiate (43) Mar 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I prefer the classic WC IPAs, but I don't have any particular antipathy for NEIPAs. I have one occasionally and enjoy them, but they do taste very similar to one another. I don't think they stand out from one another like other styles. The most noticeable distinction I've noticed is between the mass market ones (Hazy Little Thing, Sam Adams, Juicy Haze, etc.) and the likes of TG and Old Nation. The smaller craft versions are noticeably more intense and flavorful.

The only real concern I have about NEIPAs is that they are becoming so popular that they may crowd out the traditional IPAs that I prefer. That hasn't happened yet in my parts. Other than that, I have no problem with the style

19. Longhorn08

Longhorn08 Aspirant (226) Feb 4, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Do they feel obligated, want to try out the new style, or want to cash in while they can? Who’s to really say except the brewery themselves.

20. rightcoast7

rightcoast7 Disciple (321) Apr 2, 2011 Maine

Oh cool, this thread again. Glad to see we’re breaking new ground here.

21. drunkenmess

drunkenmess Savant (978) Mar 27, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

Majority of NEIPAs I've had are mediocre or just ehh at best. BUT there are some that are done just right that hit that sweet spot. I'm not talking about those over the top juice bombs that have enough lactose to rot your teeth. Some one mentioned earlier about the dryer more dank style NEIPA that really are border line. Good stuff actually. Some breweries out there are still making some rocking kick ass IPAs that aren't "hazies" (at least in my neck of the woods). Also due to flooding of the market from this new style I've become more a custom to other styles for example lagers, pilsners and certain quads. So actually I would like to thank those breweries who dont know what the hell they are doing. Because they have given me a deeper appreciation for the styles that I actually enjoy but have been pushed aside. :beers:

22. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (1,855) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

What a refreshing topic!

23. MNAle

MNAle Meyvn (1,477) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Is there an echo in here?

A rip in the fabric of space-time?

A quantum singularity drawing us backward in time?

Groundhog day?

24. tylerstubs

tylerstubs Initiate (150) May 14, 2015 Colorado

I bet 5 years ago some guy was complaining on here about being sick of west coast IPAs and wanting for the days when they had a real caramel backbone and no citrusy hops.

25. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Aspirant (266) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

When was that?

BRLockwood and FBarber like this.
  26. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Poo-Bah (2,457) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

Every brew has its place, even NEIPAS. If you're tired of NEIPA, grab yerself a well made ESB, Amber, or Brown. If you're in Florida, my favorite Bellaire Brown is available down your way. Check it out and thank me later.

27. ShawnoftheD3ad

ShawnoftheD3ad Initiate (173) Mar 20, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

28. Mrstiffington

Trader

If only there were a way for posters to ignore threads that didn’t interest them!

tzieser, bmugan, Oh_Dark_Star and 3 others like this.
  29. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Poo-Bah (2,457) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

Honestly, could be anytime, people will complain about anything and tastes change. I remember visiting the site when the most sought after stuff was Belgian style ales

kemoarps and tylerstubs like this.
  30. ScaryEd

I gave this opinion before, but I wanted to say it again:

I visited Pittsburgh a few months back and stopped at Fat Head's. Head Hunter and Hop Juju made me absolutely yearn for the days of bitter, citrusy, clean IPA's. I was blown the fuck away.

That said, I love NEIPA's. I live in New England. How couldn't I?

They're different beers with different profiles, but there are plenty of things to appreciate about both. Drink what you like and stop complaining.

31. ScaryEd

Hard to when this exact thread pops up once a week.

32. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (527) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

There are plenty of other choices if you just look.
    Come again.

HopBroker likes this.
  33. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (1,863) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I do not currently foresee NEIPA leaving my regular rotation.

If a local brewery that offered a wide variety of styles went mostly NEIPA I’d stop drinking as much of their beer. Or, if they were really good at NEIPA I might drink more of their beer.

I don’t live in a beer wasteland. There are always other options.

These “NEIPA is taking over” claims always seem blown out of proportion to me, at least as I see it pertaining to my market.

There are enough well made local and not local IPA outside the NEIPA category here that I can’t complain.

34. Mrstiffington

Trader

Really? Because there are 24 other threads just on the main site page alone. I find it strange that you feel the need to open this one just to shit on the topic itself and offer no other opinion on the topic.

kemoarps, tzieser, BRLockwood and 2 others like this.
  35. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,578) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Was there a beer nerd culture back then? Did the old school nerds have any funny pejoratives for folks who liked those styles? Maybe hazecitizens? Hazegoodfellows? :grin:

36. ScaryEd

Oh_Dark_Star likes this.
  37. Mrstiffington

Trader

I agree with you for the most part, especially considering we live in the same area. Happily we do have other options for sure, but like I said above I am getting a little tired of the sheer volume of NE IPAs coming out compared to other styles. That being said, I plan on drinking and buying some while visiting VT in the near future haha!

38. Mrstiffington

Trader

Obviously I was responding to your initial post. Your longer post fits the discussion (except at the end where you tell the OP he can’t express his opinion). I will say again that the consumer is the real issue, not the breweries. They’re just making what’s selling.

tzieser likes this.
  39. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,628) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Wyoming's Roadhouse Brewery in Jackson has a series dedicated to the style. Mountain Jam. I do like them. Shrugs.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  40. ScaryEd

Fair enough, sir.

Mrstiffington likes this.