Tired of the Hazy IPA craze?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Niceroad77, Mar 7, 2019.

1. 5thOhio

5thOhio Zealot (510) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

Indeed. I love hops but I'm waaay over the "nothing but hops" style of hazyjuicyNE style.
    I prefer a nice malt base to balance. Like strong ales...Great Lakes Nosferatu...Lagunitas Undercover Shotdown...But they're doggoned hard to find these days.,

thesherrybomber, LuskusDelph and nc41 like this.
  2. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,430) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I struggle to drink two also, one is more than enough for me.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  3. nc41

Society Trader

Thank god I don’t crave these kinda beers anymore, I think Heady and the like are about perfect. My craving really start with a nice crisp Pils I can take down in 3 pulls.

4. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,849) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Then why are you even here????

:grin::grin:

JimKal, 5thOhio and LuskusDelph like this.
  5. mkh012

mkh012 Crusader (760) May 7, 2015 Colorado

To say that I'm tired of these types of threads. Unless you mean BA in general, in which case WBAYDN, NBS, and reviewing.

6. CheapHysterics

CheapHysterics Aspirant (243) Apr 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

I'm just getting tired of crazes in general.

7. MNAle

Society

It was a joke... (i.e. the forum is full of threads like this...) not worthy of a serious reply. :wink:

Cheers!

mkh012 likes this.
  8. ithacabaron

ithacabaron Zealot (593) Jul 16, 2003 California

Absolutely! Two-Hearted Ale. HopDevil. Many others. And, unlike the Hazy IPA craze, most of those beers stayed under 7%. Alas, time comes for all of us. Smutty's "Finest Kind" IPA -- which was formerly a great example of caramel malt and C hop glory -- just doesn't have the same juicy, bitter pine notes these days. The new recipe even has a little haze, too.

I say booooo to all these Hazy IPAs. If I want a glass of fruit juice, then I'll have a glass of fruit juice. Bring me Chinook, or bring me death!

9. patto1ro

patto1ro Zealot (564) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands

No. Because I've totally ignored it.

Squire likes this.
  10. Ronmarley1

Ronmarley1 Aspirant (231) Jan 20, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Thanks for writing my post for me. :wink:

JackHorzempa likes this.
  11. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Devotee (473) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina
    Trader

I’m tired of every brewery trying to make a good NE style ipa and failing.

But when they are done right there is nothing to get tired of. So no. I’m not tired of them I guess.

12. Niceroad77

Niceroad77 Disciple (367) Jan 4, 2014 Canada

Just no new ones that aren't hazy. I find that in the end, most hazy have a very similar taste.

13. nc41

Society Trader

No one gets tired of great beers, but most aren’t even all that good.

14. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,156) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

So don't buy them, OP. :stuck_out_tongue:
    Nobody is pointing a gun at your head and forcing you to buy them.

Personally, I'm not tired of NEIPAs. They're probably my favorite style of beer. However, I am tired of overpriced bad ones, and the increasing trend toward cloying and ludicrously flavored beer.

loebrygg, nc41 and papposilenus like this.
  15. MNAle

Society

Since sweetness is part of the NEIPA typical profile, where is your boundary between appropriately sweet and cloying?

16. spicoli00

spicoli00 Defender (642) Jul 6, 2005 Indiana

#MakeIPAsClearAgain

17. The-Booger-Chronicles

The-Booger-Chronicles Initiate (35) Mar 21, 2019 Nevada

Same here....I have never and probably wont ever try the retarded ones with cupcakes flavors, or Pop tarts in them.

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  18. MNAle

Society

Hey, now! Cupcakes, OK, but Pop-Tarts? Now you're getting close to fightin' words! :grin::sunglasses:

The-Booger-Chronicles likes this.
  19. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,610) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

:confused:

There is no specific mention of “sweetness” for the definition of the Juicy or Hazy IPA beer style in the Brewers Association style guidelines:

“Juicy or Hazy India Pale Ale

Color: Straw to deep gold

Clarity: Low to very high degree of cloudiness is typical of these beers. Starch, yeast, hop, protein and/or other compounds contribute to a wide range of hazy appearance within this category.

Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: Low to low-medium malt aroma and flavor may be present

Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: Medium-high to very high hop aroma and flavor are present, with attributes typical of hops from any origin

Perceived Bitterness: Medium-low to medium

Fermentation Characteristics: Low to medium fruity-estery aroma and flavor may be present, but are usually overwhelmed by hop fruitiness. Diacetyl should not be perceived.

Body: Medium-low to medium-high. Perceived silky or full mouthfeel may contribute to overall flavor profile.

Additional Notes: Grist may include a small amount of oat, wheat or other adjuncts to promote haziness. Descriptors such as "juicy" are often used to describe the taste and aroma hop-derived attributes present in these beers.

Original Gravity (°Plato) 1.060-1.070 (14.7-17.1 °Plato) • Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato) 1.008-1.016 (2.0-4.1 °Plato) • Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 5.0%-6.0% (6.3%-7.5%) • Hop Bitterness (IBU) 50-70; may differ from perceived bitterness • Color SRM (EBC) 4-7 (8-14 EBC)”

Cheers!

20. MNAle

Society

I didn't say style definition. I said typical profile. Typically, on the dry - sweet spectrum they fall on the sweet side.

#60 MNAle, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  21. JackHorzempa

Society

Well, I drink a lot of Juicy or Hazy IPAs and I wouldn't use the word "sweet" to describe them.

For me the word "sweet" corresponds to taste (i.e., it is one of the five basic tastes). I have consumed a lot of different 'NEIPA' beers and those beers did not have a sweet taste for my palate.

Cheers!

P.S. As to the aspect of dry (or non-dry) that is a mouthfeel aspect.

22. MNAle

Society

Well, I have the disadvantage of not being on the east coast... so I have to base my views of the style on what is distributed locally... meaning a few big national versions and a bunch of locals trying to catch the wave.

23. JackHorzempa

Society

It could also be a choice of verbiage issue? For example 'NEIPA' beers have a quality of "juicy" which I will detail using that word - juicy. I personally do not connote juicy with the specific taste of "sweet" but perhaps others (you?) do?

Cheers!

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  24. MNAle

Society

Juice itself certainly can be sweet, but I don't THINK I treat them as the same. However, looking back over a few of my recent reviews, I recall Central Waters Tangerine as being sweet, but I notice I did not actually use the word in the review. I did, however, note that Hazy Pale Ale - Simcoe /Mosaic from The Brewing Projekt as somewhat sweet (an APA, since there is no classification for a NEAPA here ... but it fits the profile, IMO).

25. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Aspirant (245) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

This is almost as bad as any/every NEIPA ever (2/10). ALL HAIL WCIPA, down with this NEIPA bullshit!

26. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2018 New York

This industry, in the USA only, suffers from severe myopia - pushing pushing one trick until people get sick, and its path, killing off brilliant long-standing beers.

I look at the beer shelves and get angry these days. I'm drinking 60-70% imports. Three years ago, that number was probably around 15%.

Soft, juicy, guava....blah blah fuck off and die hard.

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  27. ktr5010

ktr5010 Initiate (196) Dec 12, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

No, I haven't grown tired. If you like the older versions, buy those. There are plenty of breweries that still make non-hazy IPAs

28. dgmirelli

dgmirelli Aspirant (271) Mar 21, 2015 New York

i would BUY.....just be sure to use a well crafted 'T"

29. HorseheadsHophead

Society

What @JackHorzempa said. He beat me to it. Some NEIPAs lean a bit sweet, but I certainly wouldn't say that's a typical trait of the style. Sure, they often have little to no bitterness, but in the alcohol world, sweetness correlates to dryness and not bitterness. I think most West Coast IPAs are far sweeter than most NEIPAs due to the additions of crystal malt--the boil-hop bitterness just masks the residual sugars. West Coast IPAs and American barleywines are often simultaneously very sweet and very bitter. I think an ideal NEIPA should be somewhere between lightly dry and slightly sweet, but with very little bitterness. Do you agree with my assessment, @JackHorzempa?
    But to answer your original question, I do think NEIPAs are sweet enough--or perceptibly "sweet", fruity or "juicy"--that lactose is never really necessary. NEIPAs with lactose often become too sweet. And now I've seen examples recently of people dumping donuts, cookies, and candy in the beer, and, well, that's just not for me.

30. MNAle

Society

I know that.... Thanks for the lecture, though. :rolling_eyes:

31. HorseheadsHophead

Society

Sorry about that. Haha. I came across as way more patronizing than I intended, and I am realizing that now. I am sorry. No offense intended. I figured you already knew. I suppose I could have sufficed it as "I actually don't think most NEIPAs are that sweet. Some are, but some are a bit dry; just lacking bitterness."

JimKal and MNAle like this.
  32. MNAle

Society

No problem. I was regretting being so snarky. Cheers.

HorseheadsHophead and JimKal like this.
  33. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,471) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

When Deschutes dropped pinedrops to counter their citra and mosaic hopped beer I was ecstatic.

Domingo likes this.
  34. mudbug

mudbug Defender (621) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

I've tried several, a lot unwittingly because the vessel had no warning that the "IPA" inside was a take on the NEIPA "style" I really just don't like them, I find them cloyingly sweet without any dryness that makes drinking more than one enjoyable and the low or no bitterness makes my tongue feel coated. To each their own of course, I just wish breweries hadn't hijacked IPA to this style.

35. nc41

Society Trader

Exactly. But unfortunately most of the offerings are exactly that.

36. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,360) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

I've already started a limited haze beer diet, which basically means unless Crucial Taunt pops up again I'm going straight West Coast, Third Coast and old school East Coast if I get a hankering for an IPA. Otherwise, I'm hitting the old ales, RIS and Euros pretty hard. Discovered that my physiology isn't set up to power through much hazy.