Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

To age or not to age?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by TwelveOunces, Jul 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TwelveOunces

TwelveOunces Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2011 Kentucky

I'm new to cellaring and I have a few beers that I am on the fence about aging.
    And how long do you think?

DFH Burton Baton
    Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown
    Founders Devil dancer
    Green Flash Le Freak

iCabaLLero likes this.
  2. Dine

Dine Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2012 Georgia

its going to be personal taste really. i would drink the devil dancer fresh. the burton is prob best suited for aging (imo) but i could also see the argument to drink it now. havnt had the frangelic yet but my guess is drink now. le freak is easy enough to get. drink one now and set one back. experiment and enjoy!

3. kbuzz

kbuzz Champion (834) Jan 22, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Try them all now...then go get more and age...and try again later.

The burton is a great example of the fun in cellaring...it's pretty hoppy fresh, but takes on a different but equally tasty (albeit different) character later.

EDIT: the Le Freak is also a good (different) example of a fun beer to age...belgian yeast have their own aging effects...drink it now...then drink another in a year...

4. Kikkycat

Kikkycat Initiate (142) Jul 15, 2010 Maryland

I would argue against the Frangelic. Nuts can go rancid. I had a conversation about a month ago with Mike from Founders and he said the Cashew Mountain did not age well at all. Drink it now.

5. vrbulldog22

vrbulldog22 Disciple (381) Sep 5, 2010 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Burton Baton was the first beer to 'wow' me with how much it changed in just one year..

6. Kuester

Kuester Initiate (0) May 14, 2012 Colorado

To add on to drinking the Frangelic sooner rather than later, coffee fades pretty quickly too. I wouldn't age more than 6 months maybe at max, might even be better then than now, but I wouldn't go more

TwelveOunces likes this.
  7. hoppymeal

hoppymeal Champion (871) Jun 25, 2005 Michigan

burton baton is the only one i'd age, the rest will be better now.

8. trancesk8er

trancesk8er Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

I'm having good results on my burtons that i laid down, go for it.

9. RochesterAaron

RochesterAaron Initiate (68) May 24, 2007 New York

Frangelic and Devil Dancer should not go into your cellar in my opinion. The other two I would cellar if and only if you've already tried them fresh.

Dine likes this.
  10. mtlasley

mtlasley Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2012 Illinois

I just finished a 2012 Devil Dancer and while throwing one back might make for a fun experiment, I'd drink it fresh. I'd also like to echo the sentiment here and suggest that you drink that Frangelic sooner than later. All of those flavors are going to fade quickly and leave you with a brown ale instead of Founders Backstage Series Hazelnut Coffee Brown Ale.

Dine likes this.
  11. ThePorterSorter

ThePorterSorter Meyvn (1,436) Aug 10, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I would sit on a Frangelic brown after having one earlier today...I think the hazelnut was a little sharp and could use some time mellowing. That being said...try one now & save one for later!

12. davey101

davey101 Meyvn (1,080) Apr 14, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

The oldest Burton Baton I've had was around 4 years old. It ages really gracefully as its oak aged and high abv. You lose a lot of the hops and it takes on a unique sweetness that I find in a lot of aged DFH beers. I think I prefer it fresher, but it still held up well. 1-2 years would probably be a really nice point for that beer.

I drank my last 2011 Devil Dancer about two weeks ago and it was awesome and I felt that it could have gone longer. The 2011 batch had a lot of onion/garlic flavors that people hated, and it still retained a bit of those flavors after a year but the malt sweetness was beginning to compete with the hops. I drank a bottle every other month and it only improved after each increment. The 2012 batch seems to be drinking far less vegetal so I'm sure that beer would be a much better aging candidate. Devil Dancer and 120 Minute are the only hoppy beers that I age.

Drink the FMB fresh.

swoopdog and Zaphog like this.
  13. JRod1969

JRod1969 Zealot (589) Nov 23, 2010 New York

Everything above is correct except Devil Dancer ages really well. It goes from an out of balance hop assault to a semi-sweet, malty near barleywine. At least age 1 and see for yourself.

swoopdog and ORod like this.
  14. RDMII

RDMII Disciple (348) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

I agree, the Baton does really well with age.

15. TwelveOunces

TwelveOunces Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2011 Kentucky

16. smutty33

smutty33 Zealot (594) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I'd age the Burton Baton.I have had bottles 2 and 3 years old and they did well.I love this brew fresh as well.
    The Le Freak would probably be ok w/some age,but I have never tried cellaring that one.

The others I'd say to just drink sooner rather than later.

Cheers.......

17. bryang002

bryang002 Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Would everyone agree with this? The reason I ask is that I see a lot of people aging coffee stouts, porters, chocolate etc. According to the flow chart I should drink those coffee stouts now. Thoughts?

18. daysinthewake

daysinthewake Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2010 California

Not at all. It's just a visual of the most commonly known effects of aging.

19. RDMII

RDMII Disciple (348) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

Agreed on all points, especially the Frangelic. My 'fresh' bottle was already flat, thin, and weak. I can't imagine it getting any better when laid down.

20. CMUbrew

CMUbrew Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2012 Michigan

Frangelic uses artificial hazelnut flavoring. Aging is either going to do nothing or make it go bad down the road. So I don't see a benefit in laying that one down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.