to bottle or secondary?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by ororke5000, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ororke5000

ororke5000 Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2008 Ohio

so i am planing on bottling a batch of beer, that shoulda been bottled a month ago (but that is not that important). while im bottling today i have another batch of beer, a Imp IBA (at least that is what im calling it) that has been in primary for about a month. it started at 1.094 and is now ~1.020 and was wondering should i just bottle this one also, or should i rack it into secondary for a month or so? what would you guys do?

2. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2006 New York

I would bottle it, personally.

3. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Disciple (372) May 2, 2006 Utah

Agreed.

4. coronajm

coronajm Initiate (177) Jan 4, 2010 Ohio

Assuming IBA is india black ale, I would probably want to dry hop that bad boy, in which case I would say secondary for another ~10 days. If not then go ahead and bottle it.

5. danedelman

danedelman Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2011 Pennsylvania

I would rack into secondary. Let it mellow out anyway.

6. ororke5000

ororke5000 Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2008 Ohio

thanks for all the input, i went ahead and put it in the bottle, i could not wait, it was tasting too good. not nearly as hot or boozy as i thought it might have had been. when i said IBA i was thinking India Brown Ale, but upon taking a look at in the glass, its real dark, brown black. More like a brown porter, if such a style exists. i'm really pleased with it and would be happy to share the recipe if anyone is interested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.