To dry hop or not to dry hop (Belgian)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by JAramini, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JAramini

JAramini Aspirant (230) Jun 5, 2005 New York

I was going to make a saison, but upon finding out how warm the saison yeasts needed to ferment, I went a slightly different direction.

I don't known if it's a Belgian IPA or a Belgian Strong Golden. Or, hell, maybe it'll taste like a hoppy saison.

Anyway, the recipe is 2/3rds Light Pils, 1/3 Golden, hopped with saaz and Sorachi, fermented with Wyeast Belgian Ardennes.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1673945

I was thinking of throwing some Nelson in as a dry hop, but I'm not sure if I should or not - maybe after it ferments a little longer I could taste it when I check the gravity and see if I want more aroma. But, anyway, your thoughts?

2. nedvalton

nedvalton Initiate (187) Dec 29, 2012 Alabama
    Beer Trader

What size batch? What were your hop additions amount/time?

3. darknova306

darknova306 Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2005 New York

I'd add the dry hops. Mixing Nelson Sauvin's aroma character with Sorachi Ace sounds like a solid idea.

4. ryane

ryane Initiate (159) Nov 21, 2007 Washington

I wouldnt use the nelson in this beer, have you used S.Ace late in the boil before? I cant stand its flavor (lemon pledge), and I feel that adding the nelson would be a waste of a great hop

5. atomeyes

atomeyes Disciple (382) Jul 13, 2011 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

a year ago, i made a belgian blonde/saison that was flame-outed with Sorachi Ace.
    it took 6-9 months before it was drinkable. the hoppiness was that nuts.

6. JAramini

JAramini Aspirant (230) Jun 5, 2005 New York

Nedvalton, I linked the recipe in my post.

Surprised sorachi is getting such hate here, didn't realize it was so disliked.

7. nedvalton

nedvalton Initiate (187) Dec 29, 2012 Alabama
    Beer Trader

I see now. Sorry. Its not quite belgian ipa or golden strong. Dry hop i think it will be nice. I am not a fan of nelson but its a good hop to utilize.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.