Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

To dry hop or not to dry hop (Belgian)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by JAramini, Jan 19, 2013.

1. JAramini

I was going to make a saison, but upon finding out how warm the saison yeasts needed to ferment, I went a slightly different direction.

I don't known if it's a Belgian IPA or a Belgian Strong Golden. Or, hell, maybe it'll taste like a hoppy saison.

Anyway, the recipe is 2/3rds Light Pils, 1/3 Golden, hopped with saaz and Sorachi, fermented with Wyeast Belgian Ardennes.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1673945

I was thinking of throwing some Nelson in as a dry hop, but I'm not sure if I should or not - maybe after it ferments a little longer I could taste it when I check the gravity and see if I want more aroma. But, anyway, your thoughts?

2. nedvalton

What size batch? What were your hop additions amount/time?

3. darknova306

I'd add the dry hops. Mixing Nelson Sauvin's aroma character with Sorachi Ace sounds like a solid idea.

4. ryane

I wouldnt use the nelson in this beer, have you used S.Ace late in the boil before? I cant stand its flavor (lemon pledge), and I feel that adding the nelson would be a waste of a great hop

5. atomeyes

Beer Trader

a year ago, i made a belgian blonde/saison that was flame-outed with Sorachi Ace.
    it took 6-9 months before it was drinkable. the hoppiness was that nuts.

6. JAramini

Nedvalton, I linked the recipe in my post.

Surprised sorachi is getting such hate here, didn't realize it was so disliked.

7. nedvalton

I see now. Sorry. Its not quite belgian ipa or golden strong. Dry hop i think it will be nice. I am not a fan of nelson but its a good hop to utilize.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe