To filter or not filter hop residue out

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by BoardwalkBock, May 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Defender (610) Aug 18, 2012 New York

Hey guys,

Just wondering if you guys filter your hop residue out when running the finished wort off into your fermenter for hop forward beers. I have always filtered out my hop residue from the pellets as I run off the wort. However, one time I forgot to put the filter in and ran off the hop residue with the wort and the beer actually seemed to have a more pronounced “hop burst” in the aroma. It was an IPA and as an experiment I brewed an identical beer after where I did filter out the hops and the second batch definitelty did not pop as much. That was the only time I forgot to filter.

I obviously wouldnt include the hop residue with the wort into the fermenter in non-hop forward beers but for beers such as IPAs, does it matter? I wouldnt want to leave the residue in the fermenter for too long but I usually can ferment an IPA in a week and rack it to a secondary on top of dry hops.

Would leaving hop residue in the fermenter impact the fermentation? I thought I read somewhere that hops can hinder yeasts metabolism but not sure if that was peer reviewed.

Brewing a pale ale today with 0.5 oz columbus at 60 min and 1 oz of each centennial, zythos and idaho 7 during a whirlpool at 180 for 15 mins.

2. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania

The short answer is that you should separate as much particulate matter as you can from your wort before pitching your yeast.

If don't get it all it won't be the end of the world. Besides people add "biotransformation additions" during active fermentation all the time.

That said, if you're having trouble getting great aroma from your beers, you probably need to use more hops and limit oxygen exposure.

3. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (2,027) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

I don't filter per se, but the wort does pass through a strainer, which catches a lot of hop/protein break composite sludge.

PapaGoose03 and Prep8611 like this.
  4. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Defender (610) Aug 18, 2012 New York

That’s is actually what I meant haha. I was typing it quick and “filter” should be replaced with “strained”.

5. OldBrewer

OldBrewer Disciple (311) Jan 13, 2016 Canada (ON)

Like Vikeman, I also pass my wort through a hop strainer before it goes into the fermenter. This removes all but the finest particles. The sieve size used for the strainer is a little too fine for practical purposes and often takes a long time for the wort to finally pass through it.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  6. Prep8611

Prep8611 Disciple (300) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

I usually just whirlpool and drain to bucket. Most of the hops are left in the center of the kettle.

7. StupidlyBrave

StupidlyBrave Initiate (74) Jan 2, 2009 Pennsylvania

I use a homemade hop spider. Well I usually do anyway. Dry hops go in commando.

MrOH, SFACRKnight and Prep8611 like this.
  8. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,560) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I use a strainer, but I'll estimate that 5-10 percent of the hops matter gets thru it.

9. csurowiec

csurowiec Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2010 Maryland

I whirlpool and drain to the fermenter. I do not worry about what may get in there.

10. wasatchback

wasatchback Devotee (412) Jan 12, 2014 Tajikistan
    Trader

Whirlpool for 10, immersion chiller, 1-4-1/2 whirlfloc tablet, optimum boil PH and let it sit at 60ish for 20 or so and I can get crystal clear wort into the fermenter. I would say almost all hotbreak/cold break/hop Trub/etc stays in the kettle. It amazing/disgusting what a pile of cold break looks like. My ground water is really cold though which is nice.

AleInAPale likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.