To Pappy or not to Pappy, that is the question.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BourbonJersey, Aug 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (809) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Unless you can have the same base beer blind in a Pappy barrel and a non Pappy barrel how can you know that?

BourbonJersey likes this.
  2. KevSal

KevSal Savant (937) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

because i have had the same beer that was treated with pappy side by side with a non-pappy

-eclipse
    -bcbcs
    -folklore
    -fayston
    -black magic

and many more, its not uncommon

dennis3951 likes this.
  3. RBCORCORAN

RBCORCORAN Initiate (0) May 18, 2009 Massachusetts

I've enjoyed bourbon for over 40 yrs and until last winter never tried Pappy . Paid 60 bucks for a pour in flagstaff just to try it and really wasn't all that impressed .For those who like it , great enjoy but for myself I'd rather have knob creek single barrel reserve.

alucard6679 and crazycatcouple like this.
  4. dennis3951

You did this with out knowing which was which?

5. Seamus

Seamus Aspirant (218) Jun 12, 2012 Florida

A blind taste test of similar style/vintage/barrel is fairly common.

6. KevSal

Trader

i have with eclipse and rare

dennis3951 likes this.
  7. Vonerichs

Vonerichs Meyvn (1,482) Sep 1, 2008 Colorado

That's gouging prices. If you're lucky enough to land a bottle of any of the age variants at the true retail price, it's worth every penny, in my opinion.

8. WelshBrewer

WelshBrewer Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2013 Oregon

Pappy who?

alucard6679 likes this.
  9. BourbonJersey

BourbonJersey Aspirant (228) Jan 18, 2014 New Jersey
    Trader

BCBS (I'm assuming this is what you meant, instead of BCBCS) is unreliable in terms of blind tasting rare vs. regular because the rare was aged for 2 years

Haven't tried the eclipse series because of the price tag

10. BourbonJersey

BourbonJersey Aspirant (228) Jan 18, 2014 New Jersey
    Trader

Sorry for posting twice in a row, but this is my point:

If you were to line up a bunch of BBA beers, take for example eclipse 50/50 series and line these all up:

Elijah Craig 12 year
    Evan Williams 23 Year
    High West Single
    High West Bourbon
    Buffalo Trace
    Four Roses
    Woodford Reserve
    Pappy

How manys BA's, out of a 100 that claim that they could identify which one was pappy, could actually identify which one was Pappy?

My guess is less than 5.

tmbgnicu likes this.
  11. Valleyview06

Valleyview06 Initiate (0) Oct 13, 2012 Pennsylvania

Doesn't look like I am in the majority here, but every beer I have had from a pappy barrel was very solid. That being said, if I am spending money on a barrel aged beer, I'm throwing $30 at Eclipse Elijah Craig, either one of the vintages. Another fine option is Parabola.

12. dennis3951

I get your point but 8% should be able to guess the Pappy beer just by luck.

13. jasinviso

jasinviso Initiate (130) Nov 11, 2006 New Jersey

I've had every kind of Pappy bourbon there was before the hype hit. Very good stuff, but as soon as my bottle of pappy 15 was worth $$$ I couldn't sell it fast enough. With the money I made I bought around 8 mid to high priced(but non hyped) bourbons and have never regretted it. I can't imagine anyone that has had pappy bourbon is shelling out what the secondary market is asking, in my mind it can only be neophytes driving this insanity.

IMHO if you want a beer to taste similar to being aged in pappy's, find one that is aged in a wheated bourbon and not a high rye bourbon. If you are paying a premium for beer aged in the lower end pappy, I think you are getting a bad deal and falling victim to marketing, tons of midrange bourbons are better than the low end van winkles(I'm inlcuding the Lot B).

alucard6679 likes this.
  14. KevSal

Trader

I've done this before and it's actually not that hard to pick out, I could pick out Elijah Craig too

And when I had the bcs rare I had it side by side with 2008 and 2009 bcs...

I dunno why people find it so hard to believe that pappy adds a distinct factor...

I'm not saying it's better or deserve the price tag, I just mean distinctive

15. SHODriver

SHODriver Poo-Bah (1,694) Aug 13, 2010 North Carolina

oddly enough, with some of the Eclipse varieties the crappy whiskey produced some tastier BBA beer. EC12 Eclipse or straight EC12 is some good stuff but some of the bottom shelf bourbon barrels had more whiskey and barrel flavor to offer. Not saying I turn my nose down at EC12 Eclipse either though... That being said I also have a bottle of Masterpiece that spent time in pappy barrels.

16. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Devotee (413) Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

I thought the art of BA was matching barrels to beers, finding complementary nuances, rather than just dialing up the amps to 11?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.