Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99! (Limited time offer, US delivery only)

To wax or not to wax....KBS experiment.

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by black13, Sep 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. machalel

machalel Aspirant (283) Jan 19, 2012 Australia

Cool, good to know. I might have to invest in some wax :slight_smile:

2. mhenson42

mhenson42 Zealot (540) Nov 20, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

I wax all my bottles too. I just bought two pots at Walmart for $5 each, one black and one burgandy. Stouts get black wax, everything else gets burgandy. Except La Muerta looked pretty nice with the burgandy wax. Homebrew store in SA has wax for $9.99 a pound

3. 7ate9

7ate9 Aspirant (212) Apr 26, 2007 Virginia

Wrong beer!
    Wrong tasting procedure!
    Wrong sample size!
    Wrong wax!
    Wrong opinion!
    Everyone is a monday morning quarterback.

4. ggfunk

ggfunk Initiate (64) Mar 29, 2010 Oregon

Never have I seen a post with a more fitting Avatar.

vkv822 likes this.
  5. black13

black13 Disciple (306) Apr 11, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Send me an appropriate beer, in sufficient quantity to make significant N, the proper wax, and the proper pocedure and I'll do this again in 3 years. Do I get to have an opinion or do I have to use yours? :grimacing:

Lasering likes this.
  6. 7ate9

7ate9 Aspirant (212) Apr 26, 2007 Virginia

I was criticizing all the people complaining about the experiment. The Monday morning quarterbacks.
    I found the info from the experiment useful.

Gueuze_Goon, xpimptastikx and black13 like this.
  7. claaark13

claaark13 Zealot (504) Nov 29, 2007 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I don't think waxing is going to help that Bolt Cutter.

8. kmello69

kmello69 Defender (618) Nov 27, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

I'm hoping I can wait it out until it magically becomes great. :wink:

9. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2006 New York

Isn't that the opposite of what you want when cellaring a beer? If you wanted the beer to taste like it does fresh then drink it fresh.

BrettHead likes this.
  10. black13

black13 Disciple (306) Apr 11, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

It actually did exactly what I wanted it to do. I ended up with 12 bottles of KBS (which isn't easy to come by these days). I prefer the flavors of this beer better when fresh (more coffee and bourbon flavor) so I had had nothing to lose by waxing some. Yes I could have drank them fresh, but I have other things I want to drink other than KBS for 12 nights in a row, which some would say is not a bad thing.

In the end, to each their own. Waxing the bottles wasn't a problem for me and it gave me the outcome I was looking for.

11. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Initiate (0) May 11, 2007 Minnesota

Surly waxes the Darkness bottles and I will say there is a definite difference between fresh and aged (even a year). I have never done side by side as the beer can change every year anyway, but Darkness always has a big hop flavor and aroma that is gone after about 6-10 months. For this reason, I prefer Darkness fresh and quit aging them all together.

What would the effect be if the bottles were not waxed? I have no idea. But, the beer is definitely different from fresh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.