Tommyknocker wants to let you decide how much alcohol to put in your beer

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by jesskidden, Feb 21, 2020.

1. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,971) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Tommyknocker Brewery paired with another Colorado company, Sustainable Beverage Technologies, to offer beer with a choice of alcohol levels.
    [​IMG]
    Oh, boy... "Not again"
    [​IMG]

Hopefully this "innovation" will fail again as it did multiple times in the 20th century...

2. riptorn

riptorn Disciple (355) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

The solidified jag was true alchemy; turned a lager into an ale. :rolling_eyes:

3. jesskidden

Society Trader

Well, once you evaporate the water there's nothing holding down those bottom-fermenting little lager yeast buggers, so they're left on the top.
    Shazam! Top fermenting yeast!

(Plus we all known that Germans didn't even know what "ale" was:grin: Much like newspaper men in 1900.)

4. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (782) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

So I can just buy this neutral alcohol and pour it into anything I want then. Interesting. Could hurt beer sakes a lot if it’s true and is really neutral taste and can be moderated to true ABV.

Lot of folks will want alcoholic Gatorade, other sport drinks , sodas , juices and many other non alcoholic drinks. If they can not taste alcohol the better for them and worse for beer companies. Hell, you won’t even need your artificial tasting hard seltzer.

I will stick with the tried and true brewing method for my beer and will have mixed drinks if I want other tastes.

Enjoy

5. jesskidden

Society Trader

:thinking_face: Well, I don't think that's the "innovative" part of the deal, since that's been around for quite a while - they call in "Vodka" and "Everclear".:smiley:

6. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (782) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Still has a taste though.

Sounds like this won’t.

Enjoy

7. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,249) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

This is probably super appealing to things like sports venues that want to pour through a couple thousand kegs in a day.

I was much more interested in the idea of getting high gravity versions of beer on tap but these nerds are just talking about selling me weak beer

mikeinportc likes this.
  8. jesskidden

Society Trader

Well, not according to the legal definition in the TTB's Distilled Spirits Beverage Alcohol Manual:

beertunes, tzieser, meefmoff and 2 others like this.
  9. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Initiate (137) Feb 25, 2013 California

ethanol has a taste, and a mouthfeel, despite what they say

10. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,039) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Tommy Knocker's polling numbers just went up in Nevada, rising in South Carolina....oh, never mind. I never liked Tommyknocker beers and this is an "interesting" gimmick that may be fun to watch play out. Unless all of this is a Russian bot. Laahhhd!

Bitterbill and mikeinportc like this.
  11. jesskidden

Society Trader

Maybe they'll pair it with a breathalyzer and a scale and the machine'll decide how much more alcohol you can have...

12. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,039) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

And wear it on your wrist.

13. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Champion (898) Nov 4, 2015 New York

&#$&*#!!!! How'd you find out? :rage::thinking_face:
    [​IMG]
    :smile:

#13 mikeinportc, Feb 22, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    tzieser likes this.
  14. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,370) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Maybe I'm not seeing the big picture here, but this seems to me to be a helluva lot of trouble to go to in order to produce an inferior "beer."

jasonmason, sharpski and mikeinportc like this.
  15. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,123) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Dumb as fuck

laketang and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  16. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,249) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I think the big picture here probably relates to already inferior macro beers being cheaper to ship and places like stadiums being able to offer you bud lite at 4%, 2%, or .5%

dcotom likes this.
  17. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,080) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

They brew a couple of decent beers, like Pickaxe Pale Ale but yeah, they seem to be behind the times. They used to have a brewpub in Casper years ago. They weren't there for long.

beertunes likes this.
  18. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Aspirant (222) Apr 23, 2007 Minnesota

This reminds me too much of the "hyperloop".

19. traction

traction Zealot (506) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Society Trader

I make a tincture using 190 proof alcohol and it has a distinctly sweet taste