Tonight's Beer Lineup for the Rays vs. Indians game

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Stugotzo, Apr 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2012 Florida

Buddy of mine bought two tickets for tonight's game. I told him I'd take care of the beer menu for the pre-game festivities. I asked if he had any particular styles he isn't too keen on. He said, "not realling digging the stouts right now. I'd say you're safe with IPAs or lagers". So, I guess the Hunahpu will stay in the "cellar". :slight_frown:

Bringing two bottles each of the following:

1) Lagunitas Sucks
    2) Victory Yakima Glory
    3) Sierra Nevada Bigfoot

The cleanup hitter: One bomber of Southern Tier Krampus.

Now, the nerdy math portion of the thread....

He said he wanted to be completely sober by the time we left the game (~ 10:00). If I add up the ABVs of the first 3, it comes to 26.15%. If I take half the bomber (11 oz.) divided by 12 oz. and multiply it by its ABV of 9%, I get 8.25% if it were a 12 oz. beer. So, in total he'd have 34.4% total ABV... starting at 5:00pm. We both weigh around 200 lbs.

Using this blood alcohol calculator, it shows we'd both have a BAC of .075 after 5 hours of drinking 4 12-oz. drinks of 8.6% ABV (playing around with all different averages of that total of 34.4% ABV netted the same results... as I'd expect it to... was just testing the calculator). I plugged in .7 for the body absorption factor. I wonder if I should replace that Bigfoot with a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale now. :confused:

P.S. Changing the Bigfoot with a Pale Ale (5.6%) yielded a BAC of .056 :astonished:

2. Frankinstiener

Frankinstiener Aspirant (221) Jul 28, 2009 Illinois

You got to talk him out of the being sober thing, baseball games are no fun sober. If you only drink before the game you will be tired by the 5th inning. Your going to need to replace the Bigfoot with some pale ale, save the Krampus for a different day, and drink $7 BMCs throughout the game. I know this doesn't sound right from a beer geek perspective but believe me you will have more fun this way. Your in Florida for god sakes tailgating before a baseball game, the Bigfoot isn't going to go down all that well, you need somehting a little more refreshing.

3. Boilerfood

Boilerfood Aspirant (284) Jun 5, 2012 Indiana

Roll Tribe.

CNelson013, gamwich and BB1313 like this.
  4. lester619

lester619 Devotee (470) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

I smuggled a plastic fith of Early Times into the Brewer game last night. Talk about refreshing.

Providence likes this.
  5. lic217

lic217 Champion (885) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Trader

I love beerr and rarely drink anything else, but nippers fit the bill at sporting events if you want to keep a buzz. $7 BMCs are tough. I would proably take in 3 nippers and (one for every 3 innings).

KhakCane likes this.
  6. EddieGold

EddieGold Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2012 North Carolina

i would leave the Krampus at home.

7. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Aspirant (260) Feb 28, 2012 Virginia

Stop by the ray tank in center field

8. Stugotzo

$7? Try $9 or $10 most likely. Fortunately, they do offer Jai Alai in the stadium. May have to splurge for one of those. :slight_smile:

As far as "being in Florida".... high temp today (at 4pm) is going to be 75. I don't think we'll be too hot and/or in need of something overly refreshing.

Thanks fellow BAs!

9. Frankinstiener

Frankinstiener Aspirant (221) Jul 28, 2009 Illinois

Really? I thought our 7 bucks for an Oldstyle (or BL) at Wrigley would have been among the most expensive

10. Stugotzo

I'll report back later after the game, or tomorrow. I remember them last year being $9. Though, it may have been for a 16 or 18 oz. cup. Either way, I'm not that much of a masochist (any more) to do that kind of harm to myself. :wink:

P.S. Go Cubbies!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.