News Top 30 craft brands, year-to-date ending March 24, 2013

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by thomseye, Jun 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thomseye

thomseye Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2009 Michigan

pinnser and nsheehan like this.
  2. Handyandy58

Handyandy58 Initiate (131) Aug 3, 2011 California

As a Wisconsinite who can never go the liquor store without seeing at least one customer leave with a sixer or a 12pack of NG Spotted Cow, I find it very interesting the Sampler Pack is their best selling SKU.

This reminds me, I need more Dancing Man and Edel Pils while they're in season.

woosterbill likes this.
  3. TommyLiam

TommyLiam Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2013 Arizona

I would never have guessed Sierra Nevada Pale Ale outsold Boston Lager, especially by that much. I wonder if they factor draft sales in or only packaged retail.

4. basics

basics Initiate (78) Oct 27, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Damn Fat Tire, get out of the big boys club.

Would have expected to see SN seasonals do better than that. I think they're catching on, maybe next year will reflect that. Replace Ruthless Rye though.

5. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,220) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

No, Modern Brewery Age figures come from "Symphony IRI Group food/drug/convenience data" or, apparently in this case, just "Symphony IRI Group food data". It's a good rough snapshot when comparing off-premise beer brand sales but IIRC it does not include liquor store sales (where beer is sold in many states) or Walmart - or, as you note, on-premise bars and restaurants.

JimKal, Chaz and TommyLiam like this.
  6. dennis3951

dennis3951 Crusader (729) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

SNPA rules

timontheroad, craigo19 and Premo88 like this.
  7. CurtFromHershey

CurtFromHershey Devotee (476) Oct 4, 2012 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Guilty as charged. Been making love to that beer this year.

Roman5150, craigo19 and Blueribbon666 like this.
  8. Soneast

Soneast Crusader (744) May 9, 2008 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Can't believe NG is in there. How can they possibly have a 22 ranked product in the country, with having distribution in WI only? Impressive.

9. IAmJacksHopTongue

IAmJacksHopTongue Initiate (192) Jan 19, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I find the price differential data interesting. Stone IPA, Two Hearted, 60 Minute at $40+ per case (and all worth it) but, for example, Lagunitas IPA at less than $35. Some of that may de due to taxes in the distro footprint, but there seem to be some relative bargains on the list too.

10. Thads324

Thads324 Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2010 Connecticut

Who is drinking #9? That beers mediocre at the brewery, turrible everywhere else, just turrible

Tidesox28, Mattco, utopiajane and 5 others like this.
  11. Knapp85

Knapp85 Poo-Bah (5,482) Dec 25, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

People in WI drink A LOT :)

12. woosterbill

woosterbill Poo-Bah (2,616) Apr 6, 2009 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Well, they are the 17th biggest craft brewery by volume, so it shouldn't be too surprising. The stuff really is ubiquitous in WI - every liquor store, grocery store, and even gas station sells pretty much their full lineup, and that lineup consists largely of highly approachable, highly affordable, and usually excellent offerings.

Of course, it helps that Wisconsin is a very thirsty state. Can't wait to get to back to my home sate this summer and do my part boosting NG's numbers. :D

13. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2004 Kentucky

The same way they are the #17 craft brewery (total sales 2012) despite only distributing to WI.

BrettHead likes this.
  14. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Devotee (481) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I can't believe Long Hammer, #9, and Widmer Hefe still rank that high.

15. cjs61679

cjs61679 Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2013 Massachusetts

Really shows how regional popularity/availability can be enough to get you on the list. There are a bunch of beers on this list that are certainly not available to me.

Side note - who drinks SA Cherry Wheat?

baconman91 likes this.
  16. Dweedlebug

Dweedlebug Disciple (369) Feb 28, 2012 Pennsylvania

My Aunt and probably a shit load of other people that aren't into "craft beer".

sicilian and sirsteve42 like this.
  17. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Crusader (736) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

As jesskidden has pointed out, these stats may or do not include on-premise or liquor store sales, so it's flawed from the start.

18. SerialTicker

SerialTicker Poo-Bah (1,760) Jun 18, 2012 Michigan

How the hell is #9 on that list? BLEH!

...to avoid confusion, #9 being the beer #9 by Magic Hat.

19. deuce9259

deuce9259 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2011 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Don't worry, lawsuit is coming your way!

craigo19, Tidesox28, paulys55 and 2 others like this.
  20. rlcoffey

Its not flawed, you just cant take it at an OVERALL list. Its very interesting to see what sells in supermarkets.

21. otispdriftwood

Beer Trader

Statistics can be skewed and presented in many ways to show a particular result. When a list is put out as the top 30 craft brands and does not include EVERY outlet where it is sold and purchased, it is flawed. If the list said it was the top 30 craft brands sold in supermarkets, it would be a great OVERALL list of brands sold in supermarkets.

nsheehan likes this.
  22. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,220) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

It does say that - that is the meaning of "SIG data US food" in the article's title.

BrettHead, beastmammoth and Chaz like this.
  23. otispdriftwood

Beer Trader

Oops. Didn't see that. I was just going by the title of the post.

24. rlcoffey

It does say that: "SIG data US food."

Im not 100% sure of their definition of "food", but I think its basically supermarkets.

25. rlcoffey

I didnt see that jess beat me to it.

Well, you get to hear it read it twice for not clicking thru to the article. :p

26. otispdriftwood

Beer Trader

That's part of the problem. I did click thru to the article but didn't pick up the "fine" print. And even if I did I wouldn't have known what SIG data US Food meant.

27. StubFaceJoe

StubFaceJoe Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2011 Colorado

Exactly. This pretty much makes this list NOT include most of CO sales and all of PA.

denver10 likes this.
  28. flexabull

flexabull Poo-Bah (2,265) Mar 9, 2006 California
    Beer Trader

I would be VERY sad if that happened. Ruthless Rye is second only to Celebration Ale for me.

beerme411, baconman91 and Geuzedad like this.
  29. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,253) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

Bells had a big expansion that went on line last year around May. They added a new brew house and 14 of the style tanks that Two Hearted is fermented and dry hopped in. Two Hearted was capacity constrained before that.

30. rlcoffey

Thats why you wait for jess to comment first. :) Not that it has ever stopped me.

BrettHead likes this.
  31. rlcoffey

But CO and PA arent useful in looking at beer sales in supermarkets then, so it still works out at measuring what it is measuring. Using it as an overall measure of the total market would be wrong, which the OP implied in his original post. But it is still interesting and useful.

BrettHead likes this.
  32. BobConner

BobConner Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2013 New York

I dont know how interesting they are...always it is clear that figures like these are mostly driven by a particular brewery's ability to market itself, rather than the quality of the product they provide.

baconman91 and sharpski like this.
  33. backbaybrewer

backbaybrewer Initiate (148) Feb 26, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

As a human being, I find it insulting that Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is on that list. Who the hell buys that crap? Without a doubt, the worst beer on that list. FACT.

34. MilkManX

MilkManX Disciple (300) Jul 10, 2012 Arizona

This looks like the best of the best that I see at the Big Chain grocer or Walgreen's type stores. Cherry Wheat is always in stock...

35. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,194) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I'm not really shocked by anything, but I had no idea NB's Ranger was as big as it is. I always figured that Sunshine was their #2.
    Cherry Wheat is a pretty popular item amongst people that don't really drink beer - the same folks that are drinking Smirnoff Ice, Twisted Tea, and some of those ciders that are questionably authentic. Cherry Wheat is far and away better than most of those.

36. SedateSix

SedateSix Initiate (129) Apr 27, 2013 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Crazy how many brews deschutes has on the list. I love their beer, happy to see them selling alot of it.

pixieskid and denver10 like this.
  37. dennis3951

dennis3951 Crusader (729) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

A lot of hot chicks in my experience. Not so hot chicks too.

Premo88 and BobConner like this.
  38. PaulQuinn

PaulQuinn Initiate (174) May 27, 2011 British Columbia (Canada)

NG's case is really impressive.

Is there any other brewery without out-of-state distribution with such a high volume?

39. rlcoffey

No.

It looks like, of the craft breweries that are larger than New Glarus, Alaskan is the closest, in that they only distribute to 14 states (according to seekabrew.com).

Bells is at 18 (same source) which is also impressive considering their size.

40. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,253) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

Founders goes to what, 23 states and is 1/3 the size if Bells. Founders is adding FL and TX soon.

Maybe you wear going for volume in a small footprint.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.