Top 5 Beer Shops in your area

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by HoppySeb, Mar 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (3,839) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Thanx! I'll be in Albuquerque in early April diligently hunting beer.

#81 Ozzylizard, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2014
    ONovoMexicano likes this.
  2. sefus12

sefus12 Aspirant (212) Sep 7, 2006 Virginia

Have to add Liquor Barn in Springhurst to this list. Their tap wall alone is worth the trip. I also believe that Old Town in the Highlands is a better spot than the Wine Rack. Regardless, plenty of good spots to pick up beer in the Louisville area.

fleurdelou likes this.
  3. spicoli00

spicoli00 Defender (616) Jul 6, 2005 Indiana

Is there anything decent on the West side of town? preferably off of 70.

4. carolinabeerguy

carolinabeerguy Savant (941) Oct 10, 2005 North Carolina
    Trader

Fort Myers, Florida:

1. Total Wine
    2. Publix
    3. Target
    4. 7-Eleven
    5. Fresh Market

5. FlakyBiscuit

FlakyBiscuit Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2012 Pennsylvania

The aforementioned are all good places. Some Giant Eagle's are way better than others (Market District in Robinson - YES; Market District in Wexford - MEH). I am north of Pittsburgh so I am going to add Whole Foods in Wexford (great selection, prices, taps, and, a quaint little bar/pub), and, Vintage Estates in Youngstown, OH (45 min from Pittsburgh but the best place I have been to).

robgage and chuckv like this.
  6. KornWallace

KornWallace Zealot (507) Dec 1, 2011 New York
    Trader

Just spent a couple days in Brooklyn looking at bottle shops so I thought I'd give this a go in no particular order:

-Eagle Provisions- They have the biggest selection I saw (Including Cantillions ranging in price from $50-100) with something from nearly every state. Their issue is that they have a lot of old beers. Just make sure to check the date before purchasing a beer. A little pricey.
    -Brouwerij Lane- As the name implies they have a very nice selection of Belgian beers plus a lot of stuff you might be hard pressed to find elsewhere. They also have some amazing stuff on tap.
    -Bierkraft- They are the jack of all trades beer shop. They have a decent selection, a nice sandwich shop, and they are going to start brewing their own stuff sometime in the near future.
    -Hops and Hocks- This store had the most interesting pairing as a beer/market in that they chose to pair the beer with fine hams. When I was they they had a leg of Ibiza ham. It was amazing. What I appreciated about the store was that they had a number of Spanish beers to go with the hams.
    -Breukelen Bier Merchants- I haven't been able to make it yet but everyone I spoke to in Brooklyn said this was a must do. It will be my next stop.

Kanger likes this.
  7. beerwolf72

beerwolf72 Disciple (303) Aug 12, 2006 Ohio
    Trader

Cincinnati area:
    Cappy's
    Dutch's
    Jungle Jim's
    Party source
    Lots of other solid choices, but those are always worth a visit.

Spinach937 likes this.
  8. weltywm

weltywm Devotee (462) Jul 27, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society

Sorry if someone has already posted Philly. In no particular order:

1) The Foodery
    2) Hawthornes (unfortunately, it just burned down)
    3) Brew
    4) Bella Vista
    5) Total Wine (in New Jersey, but a decent selection, and it doesn't have those Philly prices)

ThePaintedGrey likes this.
  9. Kanger

Kanger Zealot (521) Sep 3, 2013 New York

My Choices for NYC would be:

Breukelen Bier Merchants
    Brouwerij Lane
    Bed-Stuy Beer Works
    Good Beer
    Bierkraft
    Hops and Hocks

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  10. TheGator321

TheGator321 Initiate (0) May 29, 2013 Connecticut

no love for The Big CT? here it is.

Coastal wines and liquors - Branford, CT
    Amity discount wines and liquors - Woodbridge, CT. (just over the border from new haven)
    CT Bev Max. multiple locations.

the good thing about being in a little state is that I can hop over state borders and obtain out of my distribution beers. deciccos in NY is about 45 mins to 1 hour away. also, places like table and vine in Springfield, Mass. and Yankee spirits near treehouse brewing (i always forget the town) are right over the border as well. so I have access to all the NY and Mass stuff plus NY gets almost everything in from cigar city to bell's. So the bottom line is if you live in CT you should have relatively easy access to all NY, CT and Mass beers. plus VT is 3 hours to the border. :wink:

11. TheBeerBro

TheBeerBro Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2013 Iowa

I was going to say, all these North Side Chicagoans have no clue. Kenwood Liquors is still the best liquor store I've been to. Period. Prices, selection, and store layout are all supurb. Plus, no crook county taxes.

Anytime I'm in Chicago, I always make a stop.

12. hopley

hopley Meyvn (1,385) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

This is a spectacular idea - I do the same thing all the time and recently did it for El Vieques, a small island off the coast of Puerto Rico...not that it's a big city and needless to say, there wasn't a lot there, but through my research I was able to find North Coast and Bell's offered at one bar which I ended up frequenting...and this is in an island where most people are drinking Medalla Light, a few regular mainstream beers like Stella Artois and Heineken and, at best, Sam Adams.

#92 hopley, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2014
  13. fleurdelou

fleurdelou Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2013 Kentucky

Both very good additions. The Liquor Barn on Shelbyville Rd. is a steady go-to for sure as well.

14. anticipation23

anticipation23 Initiate (0) May 2, 2013 Wisconsin

I'd have to disagree, mine would go;

Jenifer Street Market
    Riley's
    Alpine Liquors
    Trixie's
    Woodman's/HyVee

Rilesmiles likes this.
  15. johnyb

johnyb Defender (679) Aug 11, 2012 Florida
    Trader

ouch

16. rozzom

rozzom Champion (850) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

NYC (based on where I spend my money, rather than which store I would go to the most if distance wasn't an issue):

WF Bowery
    Bierkraft
    Top Hops
    WF Tribeca/Brooklyn
    Good Beer

Bustersuess likes this.
  17. Hopgoddess312

Hopgoddess312 Aspirant (209) Jan 17, 2014 Colorado
    Trader

I second Bottles and Cans and Fischman's (they have a delightfully divy bar adjacent to the store that is always pouring good stuff!). I'd add Plum Market, 1233 N. Wells (Old Town neighborhood) to this list and The Poison Cup, 1128 W. Armitage, a tiny wine shop but with a very good and always changing stock of Pipeworks.

18. jasoncheb

jasoncheb Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2012 Virginia

Southside Hampton Roads, VA
    1. Grape and Gourmet
    2. Let's Talk Wine
    3. Total Wine VB
    4. Total Wine Chesapeake
    5. Whole Foods VB

Maltytasker, KalH and Ysgard like this.
  19. Hopgoddess312

Hopgoddess312 Aspirant (209) Jan 17, 2014 Colorado
    Trader

Oh, and I forgot to add Maria's in Bridgeport, 960 W. 31st street, not everything good is on the north side!

20. sefus12

Agreed. I'm only there once or twice a week :slight_smile:

fleurdelou likes this.
  21. Growlerguzzler

Growlerguzzler Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2014 New York

Great List. We are pretty spoiled on LI- Thrifty is a chain that also has a great selection. Even Target has been getting some interesting beers (Bells, Lagunitas, and Sierra Nevada Seasonal stuff). Another cool place that I intend to check out is http://www.hoptronbrewtique.com/

22. BH712

BH712 Initiate (0) Jan 29, 2014 District of Columbia

It's pretty amazing how good Whole Foods is for beer, at least in DC/VA anyway. I didn't know about the CT Ave muling, gotta check that out!
    A few more to add:

Schneiders
    De Vines (sister shop to D'Vinos)
    Metro Wine and Spirits
    Batch 13

23. timontheroad

timontheroad Crusader (766) May 9, 2011 Colorado

Have you tried J&K and/or Powers Liquor? Both have a pretty nice selection, J&K has better staff though.

24. ncaudle

ncaudle Defender (629) May 28, 2010 Virginia
    Trader

Richmond, VA
    (no order)

Once Upon A Vine (MacArthur St - bottles and growlers)
    Whole Foods (Short Pump - bottles and growlers)
    Corks & Kegs (bottles only)
    Total Wine (bottles only - 2 locations in different ends of the city, bigger overall selection than the other shops but not necessarily the quality)
    Strawberry St Market (bottles only - kind of a hole-in-the-wall with a small selection, but you'll be surprised with what you may find)

don't recommend Once Upon a Vine South. every time I'm there (most recently 1.5 weeks ago) they have a shittier and shittier selection. I guess it's good if you are near them when a limited release comes out but that's all I would use them for. the original north-side location on MacArthur St is soooooo much better.

25. fleurdelou

fleurdelou Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2013 Kentucky

I'd be suprised if I havent run into you once or twice then

26. sicilian

sicilian Initiate (170) Sep 30, 2008 Florida

Central Fla Metro

1. Knightly Spirits S OBT
    2. Total Wine (2 of them)
    3. Big C Liquors on Goldenrod/University (tons of 750's, Imports/Belgians/Trappists)
    4. Whole Foods Winter Park
    5. ABC Liquors- The New Stores All over the place

Soon(mid 2014) we will getting our own Trader Joes in Winter Park
    And I'll sometimes drive to Tampa for Luekens Liquors/CCB taproom for their local only Dist stuff

27. robgage

robgage Zealot (521) Dec 19, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

YES! I second that! The Whole Foods in Wexford has a great rotating selection! Vintage is a must as well!

FlakyBiscuit likes this.
  28. robgage

robgage Zealot (521) Dec 19, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

The Giant Eagle in SHALER is unreal too! The Belgian selection is ridiculous.

randylangford and FlakyBiscuit like this.
  29. sefus12

Between all the beer events I frequent and writing for Louisvillebeer.com, you have likely seen me somewhere. Cheers!

fleurdelou likes this.
  30. jae

jae Aspirant (210) Feb 21, 2010 Washington
    Trader

My Seattle list:

1) Chuck's Hop Shop - the best selection in the city, great tap list, food trucks and I can take my kids. Perfection.
    2) Bottleworks - Properly cellared rare beers available for purchase if you consume on site. Specials from the cellar every once in a while to buy and take home. Slight attitude at times. Phenomenal taps.
    3) Beer Authority - Once you're "in", they have gems coming through on the regular.
    4) QFC @ U Village - Selection has wane in recent years, but still solid. Ask for special releases, as they don't go on the shelves.
    5) BevMo @ Northgate - No shit. Every current Lost Abbey & Bruery release at a discounted price? Sure!

31. AndrewPalmer

AndrewPalmer Aspirant (276) Jan 11, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

I would put Heritage in the top 5. Depends on what side of the cities you are on.

hardy008 likes this.
  32. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Poo-Bah (2,831) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

Indeed, Top Hops deserves a mention. I forgot that one.

33. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Poo-Bah (2,831) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

Cool. I'd be happy to let you know where to drink as well. Hell, always up for grabbing a beer with a fellow BA too.

Bustersuess likes this.
  34. paulys55

paulys55 Zealot (502) Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania

Lehigh Valley, PA

1. Abes - good selection, hard to find stuff and decent pricing
    2. Shangy's - good selection, limited release stuff, but it's a distributor so you can only get cases. Also you have to watch out for old beer.
    3. Wegmans - selection is getting better, good prices

35. ohiobrew

ohiobrew Initiate (158) Apr 27, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

Massillon/Canton, Ohio (in no particular order).
    1. Wales road one stop - good selection, most beer is stored cold and lots of singles.
    2. Erik's Grocery bag - Lots of singles all stored cold (watch for old beer) as a lot of it sits.
    3. Fisher Foods Fulton Road - Good selection, Growler fills, just added mix-a-six (not a lot to choose from at the moment).
    4. Meyers Lake Beverage & Drive Thru - Drive thru, but you can park and ask to look around at the beer selection. Great selection, lots of bombers and 6/4pks stored cold.
    5. Buehler's nobles pond - Grocery store with a decent selection and some singles (most singles are $2 each so a little overpriced on those).

Stores that are a bit of a drive for me, but usually worth it.
    1. 101 Bottles of beer on the wall (Kent, OH) - Largest selection in the area, Something like 20 some beers on tap can drink while you shop and get growler fills.
    2. Lizardville (Copley, OH) - Great selection, Singles of everything, Bar/Growler fills, gets the biggest allotment of limited releases.
    3. Portage lakes brewing company - Not a brewery just a store. Higher prices on everything, but can find limited releases that sell out sitting on the shelf sometimes. Just added beer on tap (no growler fills).
    4. Giant Eagle Market District (Green, OH) - Good selection, singles in a mix-a-six section.

36. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,049) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Trader

Asheville, NC

1. Appalachian Vintner - Great selection at good prices, knowledgeable and friendly staff and they have I think either 12 or 16 taps (and usually all primo beers) so you can drink while you shop and they fill growlers.
    2. Hops & Vines - While also functioning as a homebrew/wine making supply shop, they have a good selection and decent prices with beer and wine tastings occurring at least once a week.
    3. Bruisin' Ales - Though regarded by most as Asheville's best beer store simply because it's downtown and they get all the rare stuff, their prices are the steepest in town. Still, it's run by cool, knowledgeable people and their setup is real neat.
    4. Earth Fare - Basically a Whole Foods type grocery store, their beer selection is quite good as are also the prices and the employees that work the beer section are friendly and give good recommendations.
    5. Katuah Market - A brand new grocery store also similar to Whole Foods, the beer selection isn't quite as big but is still top notch. They're also very competitive with pricing. I brought it to their attention that the SN 4-Way IPA pack was cheaper at Earth Fare and the beer guy said that he would tell management that and that, the next time I came in, the price would be matched.

russpowell likes this.
  37. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (3,839) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Agree - Vintage Estates is the best around, pretty much kicks Land of 1000 Beers' ass. Aso Wegman's in Millcreek (Erie) has some reasonably priced 4s and 6ers - but watch the dates.

38. DrinkSlurm

DrinkSlurm Poo-Bah (1,767) Oct 3, 2007 New York

Westchester/Putnam/Lower Fairfield (North of NYC)
    Decicco's - Any (Ardsley, Pelham, Armonk, Brewster)
    Vista Beverage - South Salem, NY
    Foodtown Express - Yonkers, NY
    Total Wine - Norwalk, CT
    Tie for 5th - 99 Bottles in Norwalk, CT; Port Chester Beer Distributor in Port Chester, NY; or any whole foods

New England Brewing Co. is a bit further out to include in this list - but its my favorite "local" destination to fill a growler.

39. PPOmaha

PPOmaha Initiate (187) Mar 29, 2012 Nebraska

If somehow you get stuck in Omaha.
    1) Beertopia-Everything you can get in the area but difficult to find any rarities, many go to staff (I need to get a job here). Also right next door is the Cresecent Moon with 40+ craft taps.
    2) Hy-Vee-Council Bluffs-all of the Iowa distro that you can't get in Omaha, Bell's and Shelton Bros. Distro.
    3) Hy-Vee-Stony-Brook well curated selection if you are out in West Omaha
    4) Brix-either West Omaha or Midtown
    5) Nebraska Brewing Co-not technically a bottle shop, but they carry other NE beers for takeout and if you are in Omaha and read BA forums you need to go here.

#119 PPOmaha, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
    BrettHead likes this.
  40. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (9,317) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Trader

I would have to send you on a 3 state Journey with a 220 mile circuit to get you 5 decent stores near my house.:angry:

The one's I do hit all the Time:
    Biergarten Jenks, OK
    Macadoodles in Jane & Joplin MO
    Liquor World in Fayetteville, AR

If in the area there are few other decent stores in Tulsa: Grand Vin, Collins Midtown & Ranch Acres are go tos...

ParkbrauFan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.