Top 5 Most "WTF Did I Just Drink??" Beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jmasher85, May 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jag237

Jag237 Initiate (100) Aug 23, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

Fonta Flora Beets Rhymes and Life, of course I expected some beet flavor but I didn't expect it to be so prevalent and accompanied by a mouthful of earthiness that comes with it.

2. azurel

azurel Initiate (0) May 27, 2016 Michigan

The biggest one for me was Beast from Avery.... I totally didn't expect it to be more like a brandy....It was phenomenal and I had to go and get a few more for the cellar...

SFACRKnight likes this.
  3. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (171) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

Woodland Empire rye-juniper berry berlinner weiss from Tavour. Poured a murky greyish tan and literally tasted like carbonated pickle juice. Don't know if it was an off bottle or just actually that bad.

4. mudbug

mudbug Defender (622) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

The bad:
    Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Abomination, Like drinking a burning pile of pancakes smothered in stale Aunt Jemima
    10 Barrels "Swill", Diabetes in a bottle.
    Boatswain Double IPA Twin Screwed Steamer, Like chugging a Colt 45 though a sink strainer at a restaurant that specializes in fermented cabbage.
    The good:
    Pliny the Elder, transcendental experience of the very first DIPA
    Bitter Monk, This one teaches what complexity is and how to make it great.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  5. JackRWatkins

JackRWatkins Crusader (751) Nov 3, 2014 Georgia
    Trader

WTF BAD- Stoutella, oh my god what a piece of shit, it tastes like chalk and peanut butter...just awful, avoid, avoid, avoid

WTF GOOD- My Blueberry Nightmare from Del Ducato, I hate super gimmicky shit, but I'll be damned if this wasn't phenomenal, I mean truly spectacular, I need more, more, more

6. azurel

azurel Initiate (0) May 27, 2016 Michigan

Forgot the bad....

Bells Raspberry Wild one....Tasted like what I would imagine someone who ate 3lbs of raspberries and threw them up and bottled it.....Only reason I tried it was based on ratings and locals said it was a great sour.....

7. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,103) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

I only recall two...
    First, southern tier creme brulee. It tasted like someone took an under attenuatef diacetyl bomb and filtered it through a tire fire.

Second, crooked stave blueberry petite sour. It was way back when crooked stave was getting off the ground, and the beer smelled like blue cheese and vomit. A few months later it was blueberry ambrosia.

EmeraldMist likes this.
  8. JTW10

JTW10 Initiate (69) Nov 25, 2013 Pennsylvania

1. fegley's arctic alchemy- at the time this was absolutely the worst excuse for beer i had ever tasted. i'm still not sure if something was wrong with my bottle, but god knows i'm not about to buy another one. i don't think i've bought anything from them since

2. ballast point mango even keel- hence "at the time" in number one. this beer is a slap in the face of the consumer and the most half assed, overpriced, disgusting shit money can buy.

3. weyerbacher insanity- this is easily the biggest WTF moment in my beer history. the 2011 batch in the fall of 2012 was unlike anything i have had before or since. absolutely mind blowing. i have bought so much insanity since then and for whatever reason it hasn't been the same. i really think it was all in my head because that beer at that time was otherworldly.

4. jolly pumpkin noel de calabaza- this is exactly what is is described as, a sour, BA BSDA (sour being implied because jolly pumpkin is brewing it). the taste goes: classic JP funk-belgian dark flavor-barrel aftertaste. possibly my favorite beer and i can't believe this didn't make it to philly this year

5. dogfish head 120 minute IPA- do not expect this to taste like an IPA....at all

bret717 likes this.
  9. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,514) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

Duchesse de Bourgogne amazed me as one of the complex and delicious beers I've ever tried. I've been drinking sours for two years now, including lambics, but the fruity and sugary sweetness upfront combined with the sour finish and oak tannins blew my mind.

Lagunitas Sucks blew my mind as the first IPA I had that tasted truly tropical. I had been drinking IPAs for a while and I loved the citrus and pine, but the peach and mango notes in that beer amazed me. It's still one of the best West Coast style DIPAs, imho.

Empire White Aphro shocked with me how truly horrific it is. It actually tastes like soap. Like, who the hell thought lavender and ginger together in a beer was a good idea?? Truly god awful stuff.

Mikkeller's brett IPA confused the hell out of me because I had never had a beer with Brett before, and it tasted like sour garbage or vomit to me. Still kinda does, except I enjoy it now.

Dogfish Noble Rot is also pretty shocking, because it tastes pretty much identical to sparkling white wine.

EmeraldMist and eppCOS like this.
  10. NCMonte

NCMonte Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2014 North Carolina

I had a WTF moment good at the very first Funk Asheville event. Some brewery from Georgia produced a fantastic Watermelon Sour.

Wish I knew more about the beer, if it is still produced, who the brewery is.

11. Vason

Vason Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2008 Ohio

DeuS Brut des Flandres - This blew my young mind, having never tried a Belgian before. "WTF, how can a beer taste like this?"

Aecht Schlekerla Rauchbier Marzen - Was expecting smoke from the name. Wasn't expecting a mouthful of campfire. I've since grown to enjoy it, but the first time was a true WTF.

North High Life - Bought a can because the concept was amusing. The first taste was WTF, followed by a furrowing of the brow, a second sip, then my first drain pour in years.

Royal Docks Pendragon - Just had this over the weekend. No hops in this one, but I wasn't expecting the flavor to still be as intense as it was. Again a brow-furrower, but this time due to trying to parse the flavors. Very enjoyable.

Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon - Went into this one with high hopes, but it hit me with WTF, and let me down hard.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  12. Burt

Burt Crusader (760) Nov 27, 2005 Rhode Island

Bad WTF's,
    Wild Blue, friends were ranting how good it was but I thought differently. I .couldn't give it away

Watermelon Durado, watermelon jolly rancher added to a unbalanced boozy dipa.

Good WTF's
    Alpha King, first hoppy brew I had many moons ago. Still a favorite.

Curious Traveler, after playing a round of golf on a hot day, we hit up a local beer bar and the bartender poured us this beer without asking us what we wanted. Was blown away how refreshing and easy to drink it was.

Abbaye De Saint Bon-Chien Grand Cru, not hoppy, not sweet, not really sour, not salty just a pure umami experience.

bbtkd likes this.
  13. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Not even sure of the name but it was a White Oak IPA from Cigar City that had the cider staves in the barrels. Ugh, the most dreadful beer ive ever had. Hard to make a beer that truly sucks , but in that regard it was a home run.

14. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (675) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

The first time I had Schlenkerla Urbock I was not prepared for the intense smoked-meat-like flavors. I was pretty new to craft beer at the time and while I didn't dislike the beer it was certainly an odd experience for me.

Recently Southern Tier's Imperial Ginger Beer... They must have used a lot of fresh ginger making it because it has that intense ginger heat, which I did not expect to come through in a beer. In typical Southern Tier fashion the beer is quite sweet, so it's almost like drinking crystallized ginger with a squeeze of lime. I really like ginger, so I liked the beer. YRMV.

The bad: DuClaw Sweet Baby Jesus... just terrible.

HorseheadsHophead and bubseymour like this.
  15. Daveshek28

Daveshek28 Initiate (182) Nov 10, 2015 Pennsylvania

1. Sticking with the Founders theme- Lizard of Koz.
    2. Founders- frootwood. Lizard of Koz way too sweet for me, and frootwood legit drain pour.

16. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,561) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Crooked Stave Silly Cybies - Classified as a Belgian Strong Dark Ale. So was expecting all of the typical big malty sweet, dark fruited characteristics of the style. Instead got a sour /funky cherry/rasberry brew with very subtle hints of dark fruit.

In reality this is an American Wild Ale and misclassified IMO.

With that said the beer was amazing, and I gave it one of my highest scores in ratings, but didn't expect a tart fruity funky sour beer when its labeled as a Belgian Strong Dark.

eppCOS likes this.
  17. keithmurray

keithmurray Poo-Bah (1,802) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut
    Society

First time I had Bourbon County Bourbon Barrel Aged Barleywine. My first sip, I was like "holy shit, thats fucking good!" To me, it tasted like someone liquified a Riesen candy and added booze.

jmasher85 likes this.
  18. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (2,097) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Any non-Stout beer that has peppers or chile in it. No. Just no. Hell no. Last one that I tried was the Sculpin Habanero but there are plenty of other violators out there.

Shanex, HorseheadsHophead and VABA like this.
  19. MaltheadWeirdo

MaltheadWeirdo Initiate (67) Nov 18, 2015 Pennsylvania

My worst was also from Fegley's -- Blueberry Belch. Tasted like rotten blueberries. Maybe I had a bad bottle, but I'm not about to try again.

The first time I tried Insanity I thought that the bourbon obliterated all other flavors. I let the rest of the 4-pack sit for a year and it was much more nuanced.

I haven't had this yet because I can't bring myself to spend $40 for a 4-pack of anything, even if it's something I know I'll like. If I find a single of it I may have to break down and buy it just for the experience since it's so infamous...

20. EmeraldMist

EmeraldMist Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2017 Maryland
    Deactivated

That stuff gave me nightmares when I tried it at a brewfest a while back. It tasted like a pasta bake and dial soap blended together. Never again.

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  21. scream

scream Meyvn (1,363) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

This is probably the best place for this ?

I can remember back when I got out of the Army and the wife and I settled here in her home town. I used to go to the local beer joint and if I brought a case of empties I could get a replacement full case of Rhinelander lager for $3.10. Did that for several years.

Boy am I glad those days are over. Now I have to go hide !

22. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Crusader (747) Mar 19, 2012 California

After many years of micro beers and imports (English, German), I went to the Public House in 2012 and ordered a Stone Double Bastard and Ballast Point Victory at Sea. WTF - Beer can taste this amazing!

Next, I tried Firestone Walker Anniversary, DDBA, and Sucuba. Amazing barrel aged beers.

However, it all started with Mickey's Big Mouth and Schlitz Talls. Did I really drink that?

23. shelby415

shelby415 Meyvn (1,157) Oct 10, 2011 Oregon
    Trader

Bad:
    Rogue - Sriracha Stout. I don't mind a well-crafted chili pepper beer but this was most definitely not it.

Good:
    Ale apothecary - Sahati. I'm a sucker for juniper berries and spruce (not everyone's cup of tea, I know) but brewed in a hollowed out tree? I was skeptical, but pleasantly surprised. Wish they'd find another tree and brew this again.

24. njcraftguy

njcraftguy Zealot (547) Apr 6, 2015 New Jersey

Good thread.
    Heady Topper - the legend did not disappoint
    CBS - Another legend that lived up to it.
    Alexander by Rodenbach - I literally looked at the glass in amazement.
    Supplication - Another one that i just sat there in awe
    Morning Bell 2017, the previous batch's were tasty but this years is amazing. Its like alcoholic coffee.

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  25. JamFuel

JamFuel Poo-Bah (8,514) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden
    Moderator Society

Good - Having Alesmith IPA fresh on tap in San Diego after drinking about 300 dollars worth of imported bottles. I thought I loved it, but I had no idea.

Good and weird - Bitch, please, by Brewdog and Three Floyds. Just a mental beer, with so much going on I didn't know what to do with myself.

Life changing... sort of... first time having Cantillon's Gueuze. It opened a whole new world of beer for me, and one I love dearly.

Bad - Brewdog Abstract #?. Tasted like licking the bottom of an ash tray after eating a urinal cake. Horrendously bad, and single handedly made me never even look at an Abstract again.

26. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,957) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Oh yeah, been there, the worst.

27. Andy1010

Andy1010 Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2016 Indiana

Rogue voodoo maple bacon donut and shock top strawbenero wheat. My only two drain pours. WTF!

28. Antg8989

Antg8989 Meyvn (1,144) Jul 18, 2014 New Jersey
    Trader

Without a doubt, Ballast Point's Indra Kunindra. I will never forget my first sip of that beer. I will also never forget thinking I made a huge mistake buying it until I was about halfway finished. It only got better.

29. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Defender (687) Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Society

No bad WTFs yet (i.e. drain pours), just head scratchers/eye openers/epiphanies.
    From various points in my craft beer journey, oldest to most recent:

Dogfish Head 90 Minute
    – the first beer I ever drank where the alcohol content was so overt. Wouldn't blink an eye at anything similar today.

Otter Creek Stovepipe Porter
    – 1st porter, or dark beer of any kind. Were they going for ashtray? Took a while to finish that 6-pack.

Bourbon County Brand Stout – Brought a 2-year old bomber to a bottle share. Everyone got maybe a 4 ounce pour. My first BBA beer. Whoa. WOW! Impressive but perhaps also intimidating because it was over 4 years before I bought it again.

Hanssen's Scarenbecca Kriek
    – A friend brought it to a bottle share. The last beer of the night and my first "sour". Tasted/felt like sour cherry juice concentrate, no carbonation. Still the greatest departure from everything else "beer" in my experience.

Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen
    – had an idea what to expect, but this was still enlightening. A much more pleasant smoked beer experience than that Stovepipe Porter.

30. McMatt7

McMatt7 Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2014 Pennsylvania

I thought this beer was a bit of an odd bird, a WTH at least

[​IMG]

31. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,957) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

We just got Ballast point distribution here last week, and while I look forward to a number of their beers, Indra Kunindra is at the top of the list. I like curry and I like stout, have to have it.

Antg8989 likes this.
  32. OKbrew89

OKbrew89 Crusader (785) May 13, 2013 Oklahoma

A mixed bag, since reactions can be good or bad:
    Atwater Blueberry Cobbler Ale - It reeked of blueberry cobbler, and accurate to the description even though it was too sweet.
    Founders Lizard of Koz - The aroma was strong and the beer was just as strong.
    Cascade Bourbonic Plague - Tasted a lot different than it smelled, which was a good thing given the mixed bourbon aroma.
    Santa Fe Aged Sour State Penn Porter - The beer changed its primary flavor as it warmed and was interesting.
    Boulevard Mint Julep Tripel - Smelled like artificial flavors and tasted like toothpaste.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.