Toppling Goliath (2019)

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Foxman27, Mar 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noozle

Noozle Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts

Has anyone been able to back into the canning date now that they have changed their packaging to “best by date”

GreenBayBA likes this.
  2. ToddSoonerFan

ToddSoonerFan Disciple (316) Aug 23, 2013 Iowa

Nope. But wondering, why would a beer company do that. Hmmmmmmm.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  3. Spewlander

Spewlander Initiate (90) May 17, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

Don’t have a fresh can right now but all of them I’ve had lately have a canned on and fresh by date on the bottom of each can even after they started doing just the fresh by on the box. Might have been 3 months?

GreenBayBA and Noozle like this.
  4. Noozle

Noozle Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts

Thank you! I think I need to be a little more observant when I have one again.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  5. ElmerLovejoy

ElmerLovejoy Aspirant (293) Aug 19, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

My current can of King Sue. Packaged 5/23/19...best by 09/20/19

#45 ElmerLovejoy, Jun 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    GreenBayBA and Egotist like this.
  6. nruhlig

nruhlig Aspirant (258) Jan 4, 2019 Minnesota

Scorpius Morchella - Canned 5/2/19 ; BB 8/30/19
    Mornin' Latte - Canned 6/4/19 ; BB 12/1/19

The Mornin' Latte packaging had the canned date printed right under the BB date.

GreenBayBA, Egotist and ECOBOOSTINST like this.
  7. Vitacca

Vitacca Zealot (562) Sep 15, 2010 Montana
    Trader

I just had to pull some Psuedo from the shelf. Canned 2/18, expired 6/18.

GreenBayBA, Egotist, eppie82 and 2 others like this.
  8. Joehio

Joehio Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2016 Florida

Gonna be visiting Minneapolis in September and I’m thinking about renting a car to spend a day and night in Decorah. I know it’s a long drive, but it’s gonna be a while before I am even that close to TG again.

So my question, is it worth it to take the time and visit TG? Is there usually something good in the tap room that isn’t out in stores? Does Pulpit Rock make the trip worth it even if TG doesn’t have a stellar tap list when I visit?

Thanks in advance.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  9. Iddhtoomuch

Iddhtoomuch Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2018 Minnesota

Most of their cans will be in stores, maybe something only in tap room. But Pulpit Rock is worth the trip too and it's a gorgeous area once you get past Rochester. I highly recommend it.

10. Lorddevn

Lorddevn Initiate (164) Mar 10, 2019 Wisconsin
    Trader

It’s only about 2.5 hours so not too bad. You can stop in Rochester a little over halfway at forager obviously. Would eat either lunch or dinner there as the food is just as good as the beer. TG will have some tap only beers which are good probably nothing too special, maybe a term oil and nitro mornin latte (the only mornin latte worth drinking, in my opinion) MD release is 8/17 so that’ll be off tap by September. Pulpits about 10 minute travel opposite direction there is also good places to eat in decorah as mentioned earlier, TGs food is good but better options in decorah

GreenBayBA likes this.
  11. barrybeerdog

barrybeerdog Initiate (186) Aug 17, 2012 South Dakota

If you decide to make the drive to Decorah & have a little extra time, I would highly suggest a short drive to Spillville IA, (13 mi. SW).

It's non-beer related, but there is a small museum called Bily Clocks that is a true must see. Starting in 1913, two brothers carved grandfather type clocks that are like nothing you have ever seen, (Henry Ford offered them 1 million $ for one clock, but they wouldn't sell, they never sold any of their clocks).

Also, the famous Czech conductor, Antonin Dvorak spent a summer in Spillville & there is a small museum dedicated to his work & visit to the town.

Enjoy your trip to the Midwest!

12. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (12,604) Apr 18, 2007 Florida
    Society Trader

Yes total drive is < 3hrs. Many places to stop (beer) on the way. Rochester has Forager & Little Thistle right off Hwy 52, then in Fountain,MN just further south is Karst Brewing,(worth a stop) Then Decorah has TG & Pulpit Rock,along with some fine places to eat.Its a easy enjoyable overnight trip with a nice variety of breweries to visit and yes Pulpit Rock is worth the drive..

#52 gatornation, Jul 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    GreenBayBA likes this.
  13. dragonaut

dragonaut Initiate (0) May 29, 2005 Iowa

So far they've kept Mornin' Latté cans as a taproom exclusive. I have yet to visit TG's new operation. Hell, I haven't even to Decorah since Pulpit Rock opened. But I firmly believe between those two, that it's worth the trek.

GreenBayBA and ECOBOOSTINST like this.
  14. Joehio

Joehio Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2016 Florida

Thanks everyone. Guess I’ll be making the trip for sure. Really looking forward to it.

GreenBayBA and Chantzrodriguez like this.
  15. threedjmay

threedjmay Initiate (37) Apr 27, 2014 Iowa

No more plans to bottle or can Golden Nugget.... sadly the January batch is the last batch... looking forward to seeing it back again!

GreenBayBA and ToddSoonerFan like this.
  16. Otis32

Otis32 Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2011 Minnesota

Fresh GNug was a great option there for a while. Hopefully they will can Nug-Mo or Imperial GNug at some point.

GreenBayBA and josephwa like this.
  17. OakvilleKGB

OakvilleKGB Initiate (110) Dec 3, 2015 Missouri
    Trader

Mornin' Delight release is Saturday, August 17th, 2019:
    If your name is randomly selected, you will get an email on July 11th with a link to purchase a ticket. The window for purchasing a ticket is between Thursday, July 11th and Sunday, July 14th. Note, if your name is not picked you will be notified via email on July 11th.

If your name is randomly selected and you purchase a ticket, a session time will be selected for you. We will not change this session time, no proxies are allowed and you can not change the name on the ticket. The ticket cost is $10 which gets you, and ONLY you, into the beer release line.

Our taproom will be closed to the public but our outdoor party will be open to the public so a friend could meet you outside after you exit the taproom.
    Once at the event, you will be able to purchase one MD package.

The price of the MD package is $100 and includes two 22oz bombers of 2019 Mornin' Delight, one MD glass and one pour of MD.

18. Al_Fresco

Al_Fresco Initiate (54) Mar 15, 2015 Wisconsin
    Trader

TG insta mentioned a separate shot at MD bottles for Mug Clubbers. Anyone get an email yet?

GreenBayBA likes this.
  19. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (12,604) Apr 18, 2007 Florida
    Society Trader

You really want to spend $50 a bottle time and expense to get there?

GreenBayBA and JMN44 like this.
  20. Lorddevn

Trader

Not a fan of the lottery, but really excited to see grandmas in walkers buying their grandsons beers in the heat of august

21. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Devotee (462) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Anyone had the new Galaxy sue yet? If so, thoughts?

GreenBayBA likes this.
  22. DCintheMSP

DCintheMSP Initiate (88) Jan 8, 2014 Minnesota

I did, and yes, you can get one bottle if you are a mug clubber.

From the email: "As a Toppling Goliath Mug Club member, you have access to purchase ONE bottle of 2019 Mornin' Delight. From on Sunday, August 18th to Sunday, August 25th (normal business hours) come to our taproom and purchase one 22oz bomber from our To-Go countertop. This bottle will cost $50 and does not include a glass or a pour of Mornin' Delight..."

23. Al_Fresco

Al_Fresco Initiate (54) Mar 15, 2015 Wisconsin
    Trader

Many thanks.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  24. Cibsie

Cibsie Aspirant (201) Jan 10, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

Did anyone else get a mug club email? I'm in since September, but still haven't picked up my card and haven't seen an email.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  25. Lorddevn

Trader

2 post up

GreenBayBA likes this.
  26. Cibsie

Cibsie Aspirant (201) Jan 10, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

I saw that. Since I didn't get an email, I'm just wondering if they randomly selected certain Mug Club members and only they get a bottle.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  27. Raffish_Gent

Raffish_Gent Initiate (34) Dec 7, 2016 Minnesota

It's not entirely random- it's weighted similarly to the NBA lottery- MC'ers in the bottom third of the club are given lottery priority based upon length of membership, and past limited release wins/losses. From there it's bracketed to probabilities between 30-90% of being picked which is determined by a mathematical formula in conjunction with (here's the random part) a random selection of 3 ping pong balls with numbers ranging from 1 to 50. That provides roughly 150,000 different probabilities but only 1000 or so are needed for the MG selections.

GreenBayBA and stuncandy like this.
  28. Bunuelian

Bunuelian Champion (841) Mar 22, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

Occam's razor - check your spam/junk mail. That's where mine was, anyway.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  29. eppie82

eppie82 Poo-Bah (1,778) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

Got my e-mail. I will see some of you there.

GreenBayBA, ChicagoJ, cgwami and 2 others like this.
  30. Timx0r

Timx0r Initiate (109) Feb 2, 2019 Wisconsin
    Trader

Got my email as well!

GreenBayBA, cgwami and eppie82 like this.
  31. ECOBOOSTINST

ECOBOOSTINST Aspirant (282) Jul 7, 2016 Iowa
    Trader

Got mine.....Session 9.....last year was a blast!!!

GreenBayBA, ChicagoJ, cgwami and 2 others like this.
  32. fargofallout

fargofallout Initiate (61) Nov 30, 2010 Minnesota
    Trader

Session 9? Holy crap, how much did they make for this release?

GreenBayBA, cgwami and ECOBOOSTINST like this.
  33. ECOBOOSTINST

ECOBOOSTINST Aspirant (282) Jul 7, 2016 Iowa
    Trader

No clue....guessing it's maybe the last session....has a 5pm start window.....

GreenBayBA likes this.
  34. gibson584

gibson584 Initiate (136) Dec 11, 2010 Kentucky
    Trader

They made a lot, so far everyone I know that registered for the lottery got picked.

35. Vitacca

Vitacca Zealot (562) Sep 15, 2010 Montana
    Trader

Didn't win and not mad about it. Actually happy that I'm not spending $110 on two beers and having to go to Iowa.

GreenBayBA, jaysker95 and JMN44 like this.
  36. eppie82

Society Trader

I know of one person that didn't win (not including @Vitacca )

They might have just divided up the sessions without changing bottle count. Last year there were 5 sessions of hour and a half each, I believe. This year there are apparently 9 or 10 sessions of 45mins (I'm session 8, at 4:15 P.M.).

But last year's batch was so nice (and hopefully this year's will be similar) that I wish they would brew more of it and more frequently. Can't imagine it being that difficult to brew it multiple times a year and/or bigger quantities considering it is not barrel aged.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  37. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,586) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

It is very difficult, at least how they tell it. We talked about it in these threads a few times I thought.

38. Lorddevn

Trader

My wife and I got ours so did a friend, waiting on other friend. I’m thinking they made a bigger batch. Have never won a lottery before so likely to see more winners than usual. Session 2 at 1145 which is odd as usually session is like 10, however they move through lines so quickly the 1:45 hour time limit from sessions was too much

GreenBayBA, cgwami and ECOBOOSTINST like this.
  39. gudbrande

gudbrande Zealot (527) Jul 10, 2009 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Can anyone confirm that they got an email saying that they had not been picked? The messaging seems to state that people would be notified either way, but I did not receive an email.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  40. eppie82

Society Trader

I can confirm that a person that did not win the ticket did in fact get an e-mail stating so. However a friend of mine also did not receive a confirmation e-mail either way, but he only signed up yesterday which was after the official lottery submission period closed. The lottery sign-up page was still up so he just signed up, so maybe that's why he didn't receive an e-mail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.