Toppling Goliath Brewery appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by BottleCaps80, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkwikkel

jkwikkel Initiate (66) Mar 18, 2008 Iowa

Me too. Oddly it's faster for me to go to Hudson for growlers than Decorah.

tgchief likes this.
  2. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Zealot (549) Feb 15, 2005 Minnesota

And thank you VERY much for doing so. Love your stuff. Split a growler of Sue with a fellow BA last night and enjoyed every sip.

tgchief likes this.
  3. Expedition

Expedition Initiate (46) Mar 10, 2010 Minnesota

How does Surly get around it then?

4. RKPStogie

RKPStogie Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2011 Minnesota

I think the issue is no out-of-state breweries can self distribute. Someone smarter than me can hopefully clarify.

jebsinger likes this.
  5. tgchief

tgchief Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2010 Iowa

You are correct. It will be just a matter of time before we have enough beer and the right distributor and then we will send our great neighbors to the north our finest beer! And come up and go fishing like I always do anyways :wink:

If the law would change as WI did, we would be bringing our fresh pales and IPA to you day it was signed. Not to mention all our BA offerings. Both Rochester and TC are fans we hope to gain and earn your respect, not to mention the rest of the State.

motorhed and BrettHead like this.
  6. repivk

repivk Initiate (0) Dec 8, 2012 Minnesota

Where can I get bottles in Hudson? My brother and I are fixing to make a trek.

7. Mplsmetro57

Mplsmetro57 Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2013 Minnesota

Naughty Temple is gone. Growlers and taps at the Nova at 236 Coulee Rd.

8. mothman

mothman Poo-Bah (10,939) Jun 21, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Just worked through a growler of Naughty 90 with a buddy. Dannng that beer is awesome!

Seefeldt and tgchief like this.
  9. Sender

Sender Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2010 Minnesota

Tickers gotta tick

mothman likes this.
  10. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Zealot (549) Feb 15, 2005 Minnesota

I had a hard time with that beer. Too much oak.

11. TomClem

TomClem Initiate (108) Mar 7, 2012 Nebraska

Thanks again for coming to Omaha! It was my first time having any TG brew. I enjoyed the following: PseudoSue, SR-71, Brown Sugar, Naughty Temple and Golden Nugget very much! by far the best line up from any brewery at the fest.

dbossman and BrettHead like this.
  12. elliott1184

elliott1184 Disciple (352) Mar 31, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

Can't wait to get some TG beers in MN! Everything I've tried has been superb; my favorite so far has to be ZeeLander, a wonderfully citrusy single hop ipa featuring Nelson Sauvin hops. I don't mind driving from St. Paul to Hudson for some, especially since I do this occasionally anyway. Can't wait to try some barrel aged offerings. Hoping for an ABR appearance this fall!

13. Greggy

Greggy Initiate (0) Jul 20, 2007 Minnesota

Had a growler of PsuedoSue. I found it to be a great representation of the citra hop. Definitely recommended.

Greg

14. mothman

Society Trader

The oak is why I liked it so much. If you are going into that beer as a hop bomb ipa, you probably won't enjoy it.

15. tgchief

Yes....meant to remind folks of the beers that crossed the equator without refrigeration in oak barrels, survived the seas off cape horn, and arrived months later to quench the thirst of those that longed for the flavor of any beers, as was their geographical situation of isolation from beer! It showcases the oak as the predominant flavor influence, not any thing like the IPAs of today.

16. mothman

Society Trader

It does a damn well job of doing that! Such a complex and delicious brew!

tgchief likes this.
  17. clonebrewer

clonebrewer Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2009 Iowa

My $.02 worth - I've had 4 different versions of their IPAs on tap at El Bait and where normally I have a hard time trying to decide which of the over 100 taps to drink....when TG IPAs are on tap that is what I'm drinking. Now that El Bait is filling growlers I'm even more pumped. Can't wait til they start bottling soon!!

18. bismarksays

bismarksays Devotee (495) Dec 7, 2008 Iowa

Gotta agree with the love in this thread. Toppling Goliath has done a good job of making a name for themselves by consistently producing top notch beers and driving all over Iowa and now parts of Wisconsin. The staff is always friendly (both in the tap room and the guys that deliver), knowledgeable, and supporters of the whole craft scene. Can't wait for the production line to be up and running.

tgchief, BottleCaps80 and BrettHead like this.
  19. levon15

levon15 Initiate (135) Jan 19, 2012 Illinois

So glad TG will be in St. Louis this weekend. Bring all the beerz.

BrettHead likes this.
  20. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa

21. jimmyr78

jimmyr78 Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2013 Missouri

I'm pumped to try my first TG at the 4 Hands Lupulin Carnival this Saturday in St. Louis, MO. I sent my Des Moines, IA relatives on a Naughty Assassin hunt, but they weren't quite aware of the speed at which those beers would disappear from HyVee's shelves.

22. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa

Last I heard, the only place in Des Moines left with any was El Bait Shop. They had 4 bottles as of yesterday, but were selling them at the inflated bar price of $40/bottle. Oooof.

23. CowsandBeer

CowsandBeer Disciple (389) Sep 24, 2012 Nebraska

Been hearing quite a bit about these guys. Looking forward to the day I can get this in NE/KS!

BrettHead likes this.
  24. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Initiate (0) May 15, 2008 Minnesota

Totally agree. I went into it expecting something different, but holy crap man I killed that growler so quick.
    One of the best new (to me) brews I had last year.

25. dbossman

dbossman Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2009 Nebraska

Well, you could have got some in Omaha last weekend at the extreme beer fest:slight_smile: . It was great to try Pseudo Sue, Golden Nugget, SR-71, Assassin, and Naughty Temple.

BrettHead and TomClem like this.
  26. CowsandBeer

CowsandBeer Disciple (389) Sep 24, 2012 Nebraska

COULD HAVE....:slight_frown:

27. Guzzi

Guzzi Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2011 Iowa

Let MN wait, I have to drive up there to get Surly, and I have to hunt to get any TG even though I live in Ames. Spread the TG through IA more before bothering to cross any more borders. And keep making great brews!

28. youngac

youngac Initiate (148) Jul 14, 2005 North Carolina

BrettHead and BottleCaps80 like this.
  29. youngac

youngac Initiate (148) Jul 14, 2005 North Carolina

Hey, I'll be in St. Louis the next weekend... I know of the breweries there but wondered what your choce would be if you could only hit 1 or 2.

30. DrLaFollette

DrLaFollette Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2012 Utah

I'd hit up Perennial and Urban Chestnut.

youngac likes this.
  31. Shag

Shag Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2007 Minnesota

You shut your dirty whore mouth! :wink:

32. cmannes

cmannes Disciple (355) Mar 15, 2009 Minnesota

Drove to Hudson, bought a Growler of PsudoSue. Totally worth it. Thank you!

KWMiles, tgchief and BottleCaps80 like this.
  33. jaminjohnson

jaminjohnson Initiate (0) Jul 3, 2012 Canada (YT)

Glad to try your beers today! And meet the crew! Naughty, psuedo, nugget and sr-71 were amazing

34. morimech

morimech Poo-Bah (4,400) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota
    Society

Those lucky British bastards. It would of almost made up for the poor pay, poor food, floggings, venerial diseases, dysentary, cholera, imminent death...:slight_smile:

tgchief likes this.
  35. tgchief

That was fun! Glad to meet you too!

36. jimmyr78

Urban Chestnut, Perennial, 4 Hands, and Schlafly are all great choices. The Schlafly Tap Room downtown has some great drafts right now: http://schlafly.com/tap-room/on-draft/ .

You can get a good meal at Schlafly - the rest have some limited menu options, depending on the time of day you're there.

DrLaFollette and youngac like this.
  37. jimmyr78

Thanks for coming to the Lou. Great festival at 4 Hands!

tgchief likes this.
  38. Homershags

Homershags Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2012 Illinois
    Deactivated

You definitely have even more fanboys in St. Louis now. Thanks a lot for coming down to Lupulin and damn that Naughty Temple is good!

tgchief likes this.
  39. SuperFriends

SuperFriends Initiate (0) Mar 14, 2011 Wisconsin

You sound like you have had your fair share of TG. What do you have a keg in your basement? Great beers and just saw that Casanova's has Sue, 90 and Dorthy's still on tap and available for growlers.

40. LIQUORBARREL

LIQUORBARREL Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2009 Minnesota

Dear Superfriends..Yes I have a keg of golden nugget(it kinda empty) thanks to my friends at the Nova. The Nova has all the badass TG beer. I suggest you get there, before I go buy their last TG Keg! Naughty Temple FTW! TGCHIEF please send a few extra IPA kegs to Hudson.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.