Toppling Goliath Brewery appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by BottleCaps80, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlpred55

jlpred55 Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2006 Iowa

What is that? Does that taste like unbuttered popcorn and have a sticky mouthfeel?

2. EdwardFortyHands

EdwardFortyHands Initiate (0) May 3, 2012 Iowa

Violet Hour is 12/per and 18/per at Aviary is BEYOND worth it in my opinion. I've never been able to have more than 3 at either establishment because I was beyond smashed in the middle of the third.

jlpred55 likes this.
  3. huskermike12

huskermike12 Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2011 Vermont

I misspelled a word typing on my phone while drinking. The horror.

jlpred55 and eyeenjoybeer like this.
  4. EdwardFortyHands

Were you trying to type Pterodactyl?

5. huskermike12

Obviously. Nothing tastes worse in beer than chunks of dinosaurs.

EdwardFortyHands likes this.
  6. mattafett

mattafett Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2009 Iowa

Just had a sample at Parlor City. Same thing. The bartender sampled it as well, and she was with me

7. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Aspirant (229) Jun 18, 2008 Minnesota

I seek out BrewDog DinaSour…they make that right?

8. iadler

iadler Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Just had Mornin' Delight on Saturday and oh my, that beer was so damn good. I was so sure it was not going to meet the hype, but it has to be the best beer I've had for quite a while.

huskermike12 likes this.
  9. huskermike12

Agreed 100%. I felt the same way. It was fantastic.

10. SaulTBauls

SaulTBauls Aspirant (224) Mar 22, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Same here...she advised against filling my growler because something was up.

11. youngac

youngac Initiate (159) Jul 14, 2005 North Carolina

Hahaha! Whitney you are awesome and do a great job there.

12. TgBC

TgBC Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2011 Iowa

We contacted the owner and beer purchaser at Parlor City and had them sample the keg. They both said it was excellent. They cleaned the line immediately as well. Did you get the first pour of the day without a sacrifice pour taken first?

We'll have a representative there tomorrow to check on it too.

13. SaulTBauls

Beer Trader

I didn't taste it after she advised me not to...I mean, that'd be kinda goofy.

14. Roudy1

Roudy1 Aspirant (232) Sep 29, 2012 Iowa
    Beer Trader

I don't know how to get this to come across without sounding rude or whatever but you guys(TG) have been on quite the roll lately with all of the new bottlings coming out, releasing excellent beers, and what not and now comes a time where there could potentially be a minor setback. It'll be interesting to see how it's handled. There seems to be a fair amount of support in the last several posts for something being off with this batch of beer(or maybe just a few kegs?) but so far the blame has been put onto everything except the fact that there could be something wrong with it...obviously you guys know what you're doing and I'm not trying to say I do...

15. EdwardFortyHands

To anyone who should see this it is a great example of the tail wagging the dog. This is the TG appreciation thread not the call people out without any evidence thread.

Here's hoping TG does not let the tail wag the dog, because I've been impressed since we started getting it on tap in Iowa City.

16. SaulTBauls

Beer Trader

I think he's just saying that people are coming on here doing their duty saying, "Hey, I tried this beer and it tastes like it might be off." While TG guys are saying, "You're wrong." I could understand if it was one location, which it started as, but clearly its not an isolated incident. I'm not trying to knock on TG, I'm just trying to ensure that their product's quality is up to their standards.

Who knows, maybe its the bars that haven't stored the kegs correctly or aren't caring for their lines properly.

17. jl28r1

jl28r1 Zealot (511) Jan 10, 2011 Texas
    Subscriber

Not being from your area, I might be out of line by responding but I must jump in to say that I have talked to Clark through beer mails and he really give a shit about his product. I can only hope that when I taste his beer, it is as good as his passion for it is.
    Cheers!

Curt1, printer1 and BrettHead like this.
  18. TgBC

Sorry, I wasn't just asking you specifically, and I definitely wasn't saying "you're wrong". I thought I stayed neutral and just wanted to get a better handle on what's actually going on, apparently it came off differently than that. Here's my situation. There are no kegs near me that I can try, we've been out for over a week. There are two places in question right now and we've gotten conflicting answers from people. We have had one person say it is off at Parlor City, and the rest of the people that work there said it tastes great (after the complaint was posted) as well as other people saying it tastes great at Parlor City (after the report at Red's and prior to the bad report at Parlor City). I can't say either way right now, as we won't be down there to get the keg until tomorrow.

So, to be clear, I'm not saying anyone is wrong. The conflicting responses have everything held up at the moment. It would be a million times easier if we were getting the same responses. We'll be checking out these kegs right away, you can trust that.

I really do apologize for any inconvenience or poor experiences anyone has had.

19. SaulTBauls

Beer Trader

No, I understand. I was just reporting my experience hoping that it could help. I have not had any other negative experiences with TG's products and I look forward to enjoying several more of their delicious products.

20. mattafett

mattafett Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2009 Iowa

I had this on tap at Blackstone tonight and am happy to report it was excellent!

21. youngac

I had falcon at joes in Iowa city the other night and it was delicious.

22. 12tb

12tb Initiate (198) May 18, 2011 Iowa
    Beer Trader

My palate is not any better than those of the other five people in this thread who've said there is clearly something wrong with the batch. I've also talked to probably ten people who aren't on here who had the same experience with this batch of Millennium Falcon. This includes (at least) four different bars in the Iowa City area. It's pretty clearly the beer, in my opinion.

Listen, TG beers are very, very good when they are good. There's no one in Iowa who can brew anything close to what TG is doing. In my opinion, however, this is a bad batch. It's nothing against TG; these things happen. I was a little irked because it seemed like they were passing blame onto local bars that support them and have supported them from the beginning. They've come back and said that that wasn't their intent, so clearly I mistook them. Apologies for that. They obviously care about their beer and their customers: they're interacting with anonymous people on BA to make sure everyone is satisfied. That is something I can get behind!

But I stand by what I said: they need to pull this batch. It is bad beer. I'm sure the next one will be awesome, like usual.

23. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Zealot (595) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Hey Clark and/or other TG folks.....will you guys be at the Iowa Craft Beer Festival in Des Moines on June 22nd?

BrettHead likes this.
  24. huskermike12

FWIW ... The PsudoSue at Red's right now is fantastic. It is probably the best batch I have ever tasted.

25. DBijnagte

DBijnagte Initiate (107) Dec 7, 2012 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Had a SOSUS the other night and my mind was blown!

26. elkhunter36

elkhunter36 Initiate (160) Feb 29, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

woodchopper likes this.
  27. TgBC

28. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2011 Minnesota

Do we really need a thread for this? Seems like common knowledge to me.

29. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2011 Illinois

Having my first taste of PsudoSue right now thanks to yamar68.

All I can say is WOW!

Now I gotta talk my wife in to making the 5hr trip with me.

30. BottleCaps80

Beer Trader

Pretty sure I read a tweet from TG yesterday that said they had a Berliner Weiss in the mash tun!

31. youngac

Yes sir, you did.

32. ZAP

ZAP Poo-Bah (3,434) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota

I get growlers from Casanova in Hudson when I am in the Twin Cities. It has become a destination stop. I am still sitting on two (Sue and Zeelander) that are almost two weeks old and I still expect them to be outstanding. This is one of the best options in the TC area in my opinon..let's see should I spend $18+ for a growler (counting glass) from some new brew pub/brewery that won't fill one of my other 30+ growlers or let me trade one in.......... or go here for a fill for $10 where I can utilize all the growlers I already have and have eight of them filled. AND THIS IS QUALITY, QUALITY BEER. My money goes here....and Town Hall as I have several of their growlers and they kick ass as well....the rest lose my business..

Here are my ratings so far:

PseudoSue 4.79
    ZeeLander 4.71
    Dorothy's New World Lager 4.70
    Golden Nugget IPA 4.58

For reference I have reviewed 1916 beers and 187 have rated 4.58 or higher..all four of the TG beers I have tried are in my top 10% of all beers reviewed and there have been many, many top notch beers....the Golden Nugget actually brings it down a little..otherwise the other three would be top 6 or 7% and I am probably a tougher grader now than 15 years ago...

Ri0, jarrgal and youngac like this.
  33. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Initiate (48) May 15, 2008 Minnesota

I'm heading to TG for my first time on Saturday morning for a late Father's Day celebration with my wife and daughter and I can't wait!
    Any recommendations on where to grab a bite to eat before or after? Anything local/not a chain would be preferred.

34. CLaBarre

CLaBarre Aspirant (288) Feb 22, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Mabes Pizza

ben4bier, cmannes, Ish1 and 1 other person like this.
  35. Ish1

Ish1 Devotee (464) Feb 25, 2010 Minnesota
    Subscriber Beer Trader

+1.

36. printer1

printer1 Initiate (178) Aug 29, 2005 Iowa

I've luckily managed to try all of those. I would agree with your order, other than flipping Dorothy and Golden Nugget. Both available in Des Moines regularly. Top 2 aren't here much.

37. youngac

It is amazing just how terrific they make just about every single beer they brew.

38. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Initiate (48) May 15, 2008 Minnesota

Mabes was great, thanks for the recommendations. TG is awesome, my almost one year old is totally stoked about the wagon with big legos in it.

39. MNPikey

MNPikey Devotee (403) Feb 27, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Got a growler from The Nova today have to say that PseudoSue is a great beer but not better than Zombie Dust. If anything, it's exactly the same. Hopefully it becomes widely available because both are great beers. Would be nice to have something like this available in MN. Growler was gone in an hour or two and now I need to make another Hudson run tomorrow or early this week!

40. BottleCaps80

Beer Trader

Ri0, Ejayz and BrettHead like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.