Toppling Goliath coming to MA?

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by Rysk22, Feb 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmoney13

cmoney13 Initiate (153) Sep 9, 2017 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

I had gone through 2 or 3 4pcks when it first dropped earlier in the year and I highly considered picking one up with this recent drop. It is quite good.

2. cmoney13

Deactivated

SOSUS in cans. Just picked up a 4pk at Bacon's in Hudson. There was only 2 or 3 left after mine.

Hopefully it's as good as the single bottle I tried earlier in the year. It's probably the best IPA I've had from them.

3. brewme

brewme Meyvn (1,412) Mar 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

How much? Any sightings on the South Shore? I've been getting FSM pretty regularly, have not seen King Sue in months. I have noticed the canned-on dates for Psuedo & Pompeii getting older & older.

4. cmoney13

Deactivated

was pricey. $19.69. Fairly fresh though. I think 12/10 canning. And considering the bombers were like $15 (and I even considered picking up a 2nd one from time to time), I can live with this once in a while.

Having one now, though, and damn it's good.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  5. GonzoHomebrewer

GonzoHomebrewer Devotee (496) Sep 15, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

They only brew King Sue once every 3 months or so, though I feel like 2 batches recently were closer together. If you see them post a canning run on social media, Mass generally gets them a week or 2 after.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  6. Mpom9999

Mpom9999 Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2018 Massachusetts

Picked up a 4-pack for ~$18 at Rapid in Stoneham. Fantastic beer.

7. nathanb47

nathanb47 Initiate (179) Dec 14, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

Empire Wine and Spirits in Kingston got it today

8. outoffocus

outoffocus Crusader (752) Nov 10, 2012 Pennsylvania

The frustrating thing with the Pseudo dates being 3 months old now is they aren't sitting on shelves. I buy a ton of it and the 3 places I normally shop have clearly re-stocked numerous times, but the canning date just stays 9/13/18.

9. randytrevor

randytrevor Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2014 Massachusetts

Typically I wouldn't buy something that "old" but my buddy picked up a 4pack of the 9/13 batch of PS for me, and I must say it was pretty damn tasty....and a great value at 11 bucks

10. outoffocus

outoffocus Crusader (752) Nov 10, 2012 Pennsylvania

Yeah it's still good and I keep buying it. I feel like I'm running on a treadmill though. I buy it, they restock. Still 9/13.

Sheppard likes this.
  11. jbertsch

jbertsch Poo-Bah (1,594) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I feel like all TG I see is from May or July.

12. killamonjaro

killamonjaro Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2017 Massachusetts

Same here. The bombers are too expensive and with no dates on them they are a gamble as well. The best I’ve seen is August dates

13. cmoney13

Deactivated

Kinda mad I only bought one 4pk of SOSUS. It's an incredible DIPA.

14. kingsuect

kingsuect Initiate (32) Oct 6, 2018 Connecticut

king sue coming soon to MA
    weird how CT is being ignored once again

please post something in here once you guys see them popping up. will have to drive out to get some this time.

15. cmoney13

Deactivated

Guess they had more than I realized. Stopped in today and they had 7 or 8 more 4pcks. Picked one more up, along with a 4pk of second fiddle to compare. I might like SOSUS more, which is saying something.

16. Pudgemaster

Pudgemaster Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2018 Massachusetts

I drank a rover truck the other day. Solid oatmeal stout. Nice departure from all the pastry and heavy adjunct stouts being made.

17. kingsuect

any king sue sighting yet?
    thanks

18. Quisby

Quisby Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2017 Massachusetts

They just got some in at Yankee Spirits - Sturbridge.

mltobin, kingsuect and AlcahueteJ like this.
  19. kingsuect

thank you.

hopefully they show up in springfield area soon.

Quisby likes this.
  20. kingsuect

ok was just told by a store in springfield that they will be getting it tomorrow.
    time to drive my lazy ass up.

21. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,944) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Both Redstone and Pemberton got some in.

22. JakerLou

JakerLou Meyvn (1,226) Jan 6, 2013 New Hampshire
    Society

Rapid in Stoneham posted it on Thursday.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  23. wasatchback

wasatchback Devotee (413) Jan 12, 2014 Tajikistan
    Trader

I picked it up in MN but this latest batch of King Sue is awesome. Right up there with the freshest bombers of years past. I’ve been really impressed with the latest Pompeii, Sosus, King Sue.

#583 wasatchback, Dec 28, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  24. DanPing

DanPing Aspirant (225) May 30, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Wegmans $18.99

soheadyithurts likes this.
  25. buking21

buking21 Aspirant (265) Jan 21, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

I got the last can at Pemberton.

Downtown in Davis has it in the cooler...for a mere $25.99 per 4-pack. Man they suck so bad.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  26. kingsuect

$26 is just wrong.

finally got mine today for $20 ish at the place called thebeershop in east longmeadow.
    every beer was available as a single can, even king sue.

27. Trull

Trull Disciple (388) Dec 24, 2016 Massachusetts

I paid $21 for a four pack at Sudbury craft beer.

28. JakerLou

Society

18.39 at Rapid.

meefmoff likes this.
  29. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (504) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

I was just at Rapid tonite and got a six pack of jigsaw jazz (9% abv), a bottle of Portuguese red wine, and a discounted bottle of Samiclaus for $20. No dig on TG specifically but this is why pricey 4 packs of hoppy beers are getting less of my business these days.

Mikecap, mltobin, AlcahueteJ and 2 others like this.
  30. JakerLou

Society

I was holding one of those while I was there and decided to put it back. I grabbed one last month else I would have picked it up. It's a great beer!

meefmoff likes this.
  31. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (504) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

It really is! I grabbed it on a whim a couple months back for the first time simply because it was on sale and was amazed how good it was.

Someone should tell them that the "malt liquor" label probably isn't doing them any favors here in the states :slight_smile:

AlcahueteJ and JakerLou like this.
  32. kingsuect

now that many of us got to try, what is the verdict on king sue?

to me, fire skulls > king sue > sosus

33. dental

dental Devotee (434) Apr 2, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

i haven't had king sue but i totally agree on FSM > sosus. however, i probably wouldn't buy another 4-pack of either beer at those price points. i wasn't impressed with sosus at all (12/7/18 canning), but would get a pour of FSM if i saw it on tap somewhere.

34. cmoney13

Deactivated

Been a while since I tried the king sue. I'd go

SOSUS > FSM > KS

Love SOSUS.

Lucasdia likes this.
  35. nesarebad

nesarebad Zealot (517) Feb 4, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

Blaspheming your profile name and pic. Time for a switch?

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  36. nesarebad

nesarebad Zealot (517) Feb 4, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

SOSUS is the Mosaic lovers beer.

37. shehateme

shehateme Devotee (463) Jan 23, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

King sue on tap at mom & pops burgers in chatham if anyone is down the cape for first night

7irondave likes this.
  38. wasatchback

wasatchback Devotee (413) Jan 12, 2014 Tajikistan
    Trader

FSM is overload in my mind. Had a little more “vegetal” character and was just way too thick. Hard to drink more than one. Nothing wrong with it per se just not in balance and not as drinkable as Sosus or King Sue. I’m personally not a fan of that many big hop varieties in one beer.

I’d bet King Sue and Sosus are basically the same base beer with Sosus being all Mosaic and King Sue being all Citra. Mosaic can be really hit and miss. The Mosaic they have for this latest round of Sosus and Pompeii is on point. No sweaty feet, diesely notes at all.

Both the latest KS and Sosus are in my mind right up there with the best bombers I’ve had fresh from the brewery in the past. They’re very light on the pallet and very well balanced and great expression of the hops highlighted in each. They don’t taste/smell like rotting overripe fruit that so many hoppy beers do now. They have a great balance of sweetness and bitterness to make them incredibly drinkable. These remind me of some HF double IPAs I had this summer. They’re not oversatured hop bombs but really balanced and incredibly drinkable 8% beers. And very well defined expressions of the specific hop. The mouthfeel isn’t quite as soft but other than that they’re fantastic in my book. I’d take these over any Trillium beer I’ve had in the last two years that’s for sure.

39. cmoney13

Deactivated

yeah, the funny thing is I avoided single-hopped mosaic beers for a long time because I just didn't like them. They always tasted oniony and metallic to me (probably same note as the "diesely" above), and I always found it odd seeing reviews of mosaic beers that were "tropical fruit for days".

But maybe that was just a lower quality crop a few years ago, as I've loved a few mosaic-forward beers in the past couple of years, notably SOSUS, Dinner, and Born Yesterday 2017.

I'll have to try whichever HF S&S beer is their all mosaic one next time I see it on tap at Armsby.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  40. robo55

robo55 Initiate (64) Oct 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Picked up a four pack of king sue at Gordon’s in Watertown. There are a couple more left in the cooler

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.