Toppling Goliath coming to MA?

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by Rysk22, Feb 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawkeyejam

Hawkeyejam Initiate (0) Aug 22, 2017 Iowa

Dorothy's is alot like Trail Magic was for Treehouse. A fine beer for the style but only so much you can do with it and generally gets left in the dust. I know TG pushes it because it's the original brew

2. errantnight

errantnight Savant (952) Jul 7, 2005 District of Columbia
    Trader

Just my $.02 but it's solid but nothing special. I don't buy it much here in Iowa (generally Pivo, Summit Keller Pils, Zwickel, The Crisp).

3. errantnight

errantnight Savant (952) Jul 7, 2005 District of Columbia
    Trader

It's also a huge seller out here, if there's a better Iowa brewed pale lager I don't know what it is (certainly not the ever-present Ruthie).

4. mschofield

mschofield Meyvn (1,406) Oct 16, 2002 Massachusetts

All of their beers have been good to great. Pseudo Sue is fantastic

5. Pudgemaster

Pudgemaster Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2018 Massachusetts

Found a four pack of pseudo at wegmans. Really enjoying it. Much better than the draft I had but again I think I attribute that to my taste being off from previous beers and weed.

6. jlordi12

jlordi12 Devotee (470) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts

Grabbed a four of PS, pretty solid . 14$ for the four pack, wasn't blown away in comparison to Trillium and TH, but a solid shelf beer if found fresh

tzieser likes this.
  7. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,200) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

I got King Sue and some Pompeii when I last went home to MA. Both were good but unworthy of any comparison to Treehouse/Trillium, IMO....I actually preferred the beers from Foreign Objects and Proclamation more than I did of the TGs I picked up.

8. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (473) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Picked up tonight at One Stop. 5 weeks old/$13 — absurd price but my stock is low and I knew it’d kill..and it is/did. Completely different beer than the golden nugget brewed w/.....shockingly....nugget hops that I had a couple of years ago. Can’t think of another brewery that has not only embraced the NEIPA craze but retooled 100% of their existing hoppy ale line up to all haze/juice. Better than most NE NEIPA producers and right there w TH/HF and Trill.
    [​IMG]

JoeK89, AlcahueteJ and woodfinish like this.
  9. wasatchback

wasatchback Devotee (413) Jan 12, 2014 Tajikistan
    Trader

They’ve been making hazy beer for a lot longer than most, doubt there was much retooling.

Sheppard likes this.
  10. SenorQuesadilla

SenorQuesadilla Initiate (82) Jul 18, 2014 Connecticut
    Trader

I thought I read King Sue was hazy like a NEIPA now, is that not true? I traded for a few summer of 2015 and it definitely wasn't back then (looking at a pic I took to confirm my memory).

11. 7irondave

7irondave Defender (666) Jun 22, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

This is from the February drop
    [​IMG]

SenorQuesadilla and AlcahueteJ like this.
  12. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

I grabbed a 4 pack of Pseudo Sue and a bomber of mosaic nugget over over the weekend. The pseudo sue was very hazy and looked completely different than the ones I had in 2014. It was still great but the beer has certainly changed over time. I was very disappointed in the mosaic nugget. It was muted in both the smell and flavor. Nothing I would buy again.

13. Hawkeyejam

SupaSumo DIPA bombers look to be dropping today. Very good beer.

14. MrDarcy

MrDarcy Devotee (401) Aug 28, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

3rd MA drop of TG beers over a two month span.

An abject failure with regard to distro :wink:

15. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Aspirant (293) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

dropping in MA or IA? How does it compare to King Sue?

16. muzzy

muzzy Disciple (321) Apr 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

These dropped in MA at a few spots (cbc fenway, fort point market)...not sure how it compares to King Sue though.

thedaveofbeer likes this.
  17. Hawkeyejam

King Sue is better but Supa is an awesome beer. It's hard to compare since King is a dipa of Citra hops. Supa uses Mosaic and Citra. It's delicious. You'll like it

mgp and Macsimus like this.
  18. -Rick

-Rick Zealot (519) Dec 22, 2014 Massachusetts

The new Bacon's Wine & Spirits in Framingham got a drop of Supa' Sumo along with all the other TG beers. Supa' is killer!

19. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe Initiate (0) May 23, 2015 Massachusetts

Wegman's in Burlington has Supa and Psuedo.

Hazehazegoaway likes this.
  20. Argento

Argento Aspirant (255) Mar 25, 2016 Rhode Island
    Trader

More like Blah Sumo. Don't get me wrong, it's a fine beer. But nothing to lose yer shit about and freakishly overpriced for what it is in a bomber. I wouldn't buy it in cans for 12 bucks a 4 pack. Too much other good stuff around. And I like TG beers.

dental likes this.
  21. Hazehazegoaway

Hazehazegoaway Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2018 Massachusetts

Really? Maybe my pallet has drastically changed but pseudo tastes like how fort point use to. I feel like all the trillium beers have adopted that overly bitter finish recently.

wehaveamap likes this.
  22. SpauldingSmails

SpauldingSmails Initiate (158) Sep 11, 2014 Massachusetts

The Psuedo I had last evening just felt way more carbonated than what we get from Trillium. That's not a comment on better or worse, just different...and refreshing.

Hazehazegoaway likes this.
  23. thedaveofbeer

Trader

Talked to a distributor rep while buying some TG stuff in Leominster. He said that Fire Skulls should be the next bomber we see. I know that I will grumble about the price, but will still end up buying one. I asked him about beers moving to cans and he speculated that King Sue would be in cans by June.

7irondave likes this.
  24. killamonjaro

killamonjaro Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2017 Massachusetts

to me it seems like this stuff is priced wildly different depending on where you go. I see $14 four packs, $13 bombers. I went to CBC and got 2 bombers, a can of sue and a can of tanker truck gose from two roads and it was $35. I thought that was absurd

Jaycase and DanPing like this.
  25. thedaveofbeer

Trader

You seem interested in this thread, so I figured I would share my thoughts on the TG beers I have had in the past few weeks. King Sue>Hop Smack> Mosaic GN>Supa>GN>Psuedo> Pompeii. I didn't buy Dorothy. And for comparison- King Sue may be my favorite Double Ipa at the moment. I really enjoy that it has the New England fruitiness while still having a hop bite. Basically, it still tastes like a "beer"

#265 thedaveofbeer, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    Hawkeyejam likes this.
  26. cskollmann

cskollmann Initiate (67) Apr 30, 2008 Massachusetts

CBC is always priced higher on everything. Wish they'd invest the profits into cooler space. Gotta pay for the mad luv I guess...

soheadyithurts and killamonjaro like this.
  27. Hawkeyejam

Im an interested observer indeed. TG is the home brewery. I get a lot of TH,Trillium,Alchemist,etc. and intrigued on how it stacks up.

If I had to rate my favorite TG beers would probably go

KING SUE
    Fire,Skulls, and Money IPA
    DDH (Citra) PseudoSue
    Hopsmack
    Supa Sumo
    Sosus
    PsuedoSue
    Pompeii
    Mosaic GNug
    Golden Nugget

Including those that have hit distro in your region along with 2 favorites you will be bound to see soon/eventually

FSM I bet you get next drop in cans. It's ridiculously good as is DDH Sue.

Plenty of other good ones as well that will come around in rotation. If you ever have a chance to try their Stouts(reg and BA), oh my

mgp, chipawayboy and 7irondave like this.
  28. Hawkeyejam

Toppling is transitioning from bombers to cans and they are behind the 8 ball

PseudoSue and it's variants were regularly 9.99 a bomber(22oz) in Eastern IA. When Decorah started brewing in cans you could get 16 oz 4 packs for 9.99.

Not all beers will get the 4 pack treatment but the two best I'm, King and FSM, have been announced will and everyone should be.extremely happy!

29. juliolugo

juliolugo Initiate (93) Jun 22, 2015 Massachusetts

haven’t had my supa’ sumo yet, but for the rest, my thoughts exactly.

30. wasatchback

wasatchback Devotee (413) Jan 12, 2014 Tajikistan
    Trader

GN over Pseudo Sue? And Sosus? Really? NugMo was interesting I’ll give you that.. Galaxy DH Pseudo is pretty rad but still below KS and Sosus for me.

A few of the x-hops beers have been good. Gold and Teal maybe? Can’t remeber?? Had just as many that were not awesome as well.

Stoked for cans, bombers are soooo 2005.

31. juliolugo

juliolugo Initiate (93) Jun 22, 2015 Massachusetts

I knew I was forgetting one.

King Sue>HopSmack>Sosus>Mosaic GN>GN>Pseudo>Pompeii.

32. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe Initiate (0) May 23, 2015 Massachusetts

Ok, Supa Sumo is the absolute tits for me. Simply fantastic vehicle for Mosaic hops. Loved it. Would go nuts for a four pack in cans.

errantnight likes this.
  33. colby600

colby600 Crusader (797) Mar 24, 2015 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Looks like Scorpius Morchella is coming this way in the future. I'm intrigued as it's one of the few I haven't tried. Large price tag on this one I'd imagine.

wehaveamap likes this.
  34. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa

It's gotten label approval for 16oz cans, so they will be coming eventually.

35. ichorNet

ichorNet Poo-Bah (2,095) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society

PseudoSue absolutely lived up to the hype for me. I will be buying it a lot this Summer!

chipawayboy likes this.
  36. Pudgemaster

Pudgemaster Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2018 Massachusetts

Had a Pompeii tonight. Pretty good. I prefer pseudo sue so far but those are the only two I’ve tried from them.

37. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

Supa sumo is pretty blah. So was mosaic nugget . Pseudo is still my favorite. I won't buy another bomber of TG. I don't see the comaprisons to Trill or TH at all. Good beers but flavor, smell, and mouthfeel are well below for me. Im an occasional customer for sure but I'll still take fort point over all the above.

Hiwattowner likes this.
  38. wehaveamap

wehaveamap Aspirant (208) Jan 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

Was a big fan of the standard Golden Nugget can I had, just about exactly as good as Pseudo to me. Not interested in the bomber at 2+ times the cost and in general I'm pretty meh on mosaic on top of that. Could just be the phase of their seasonal rotation we’re in but the lineup is definitely mosaic heavy for my tastes.

39. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (104) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts

King Sue absolutely compares to TH and Trillium, it's completely on the same level.

Put KS up against Dopple or literally any Trillium double and it wins for me

At this point, Id take a fresh KS over most Treehouse doubles save Juice machine or VH

Celtics76 and ransom22 like this.
  40. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (473) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Compare p-sue from 3 -4 years ago w/today’s p-sue. The prior version was very brassy in color and while Citra juicy — was more along the lines of Zombie Dust than FPPA. I’ve been trading for this beer for a long time - it has absolutely changed in a big way. If I had to guess I would say the new version is dry hopped during active fermentation and they likely switched to a more ester driven yeast. Without these changes —old p-sue would be getting panned right now by the NEIPA fans boys...
    [​IMG]

#280 chipawayboy, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.