Toppling Goliath coming to MA?

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by Rysk22, Feb 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaycase

Jaycase Poo-Bah (1,852) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Society Trader

You may prefer one brewery over the other so everyone should prefer the same? How boring would that be if everyone had the same preferences & opinions on beer.

Rysk22, lic217 and jbertsch like this.
  2. nathanb47

nathanb47 Initiate (179) Dec 14, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

You are very correct. We got Pseudo Sue last week, it flew the first 2 times, still have 2 cases left from the last delivery that have been here a week now

3. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,942) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

I assume King Sue holds that crown.

4. AlcahueteJ

Society

Very boring. Then every brewery would produce New England style IPAs...

...oh wait.

5. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa

Those are the only I've heard of getting the can treatment.

JoeK89 likes this.
  6. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (104) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts

Can somebody explain how a company can put a $14 bomber next to an $11 4-pack of the same beer and expect product to move?

Golden nugget bomber price per ounce: $.63

Golden nugget 4 pack price per ounce: $.18

hazymcjooceface likes this.
  7. Hawkeyejam

Hawkeyejam Initiate (0) Aug 22, 2017 Iowa

The golden nugget in the bomber was a Mosaic dry hopped variant.

Also TG is.not setting these prices. That's your bottle shops discretion. Also, TG was behind on the times. They are transitioning alot of beers over to cans. They have had a canning system for about 6 months. In time people

User_Name likes this.
  8. Jaycase

Society Trader

Yeah, TG shouldn't be getting all the blame on the pricing. The packaging, sure :wink:. That same Mosaic DH Golden Nugget bomber was 10.99 in Chicago. Your distributer/retailers seem to be hiking prices on TG beers a bit reading through this thread.

9. JakerLou

JakerLou Meyvn (1,226) Jan 6, 2013 New Hampshire
    Society

Not that anyone cares, but if King Sue shows up in 16 ounce 4 packs for under 20 bucks... I'll buy a lot of it.

10. cmoney13

cmoney13 Initiate (153) Sep 9, 2017 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

Bacon's in Hudson had about a 1.5 cases of Psuedo and a case of Golden Nugget left, plus a few bombers of Supa and Mosaic Golden Nugget. I bought just a bomber of Supa. Drinking it now and it's pretty damn good but nowhere near as good as SOSUS.

One problem with such often drops is the beer nerd population isn't really that big. Sure, tick chasing is one part of it, but another part of it is guys like me have full fridges sometime. I'll def buy golden nugget and psuedo again, but I made a trillium run recently.

11. Argento

Argento Aspirant (255) Mar 25, 2016 Rhode Island
    Trader

[​IMG]

12. Trull

Trull Disciple (388) Dec 24, 2016 Massachusetts

My four pack of KBS was $25......

13. wesinator

wesinator Initiate (32) Apr 30, 2015 Connecticut

It’s a fact that they’re beer is better. It’s someone’s opinion that it isn’t or that it isn’t worth the money.

14. Jaycase

Society Trader

Please back your 'facts' up with objective, measurable evidence. I'll be waiting.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  15. wesinator

Frankly, they score higher. They are better represented in the top beers category. They both make enough beer to distribute out to the east coast but the beer we get here from Pipeworks isn’t as good. We use this site, in addition to other things, to share opinions and read others opinions and make decisions based on them, too know what is better. any way it can be measured (which is by no means a science but is what we all use to make a decision and create a ranking) they’re beer is better

16. juliolugo

juliolugo Initiate (93) Jun 22, 2015 Massachusetts

Without casting an opinion on the topic at hand, isn’t the only measure that matters which beer you personally prefer? I don’t drink beers because they are highly rated, I drink beers because I like them.

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  17. wesinator

I agree that at the end of the day that is what’s important. But debate is fun

18. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (469) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Back from family vaca last night and w/nothing in the fridge so stopped by my local One Stop this am for some TG. Early April batch tasting great tonight — never could have predicted TG beers would be easier to get here in the Merrimack Valley than TH and Trill and at comparable pricing. Crazy.
    [​IMG]

yllib, Rysk22 and woodfinish like this.
  19. Jesse14

Jesse14 Initiate (182) Jul 21, 2011 Massachusetts

I thought Psuedo Sue was muted for a pale ale. Maybe an old can. I'll try more but first try of TG for me was a dud.

Fort Point is top of the pale ale heap for me so I think everything falls flat in comparison.

20. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (469) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Agree on Fort Point - I don’t think PSue is as good — but it’s closer than anything else I can get at the packy.

User_Name likes this.
  21. jjhops

jjhops Initiate (39) Feb 28, 2018 Massachusetts

Galaxy Pseudo Sue popping up in MA stores today, reviews look pretty good. Is it worth picking up?

22. jlordi12

jlordi12 Devotee (470) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts

Yes, the reviews are looking pretty good

23. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (3,185) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Just enjoyed Citra Pseudo Sue, within 20 days of packaging
    Very nice offering
    Cheers

24. Colonel_Forbin

Colonel_Forbin Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2016 Massachusetts

deets on where to get galaxy psuedo sue? metrowest area? bueller?

25. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (104) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts

If they're priced similarly to other TG bombers, it's a hard pass

$14 bottles of hops just don't do it for me even though this beer, I'm sure, is phenomenal

Do they can this in the Midwest market?

soheadyithurts likes this.
  26. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Initiate (158) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Total Wine Natick. Bacon's tweeted that they had it, not sure if that includes the Framingham store.

27. Hawkeyejam

Galaxy hopped PseudoSue is a very good beer. Worth a try if you have been a fan of the other offerings. Nothing can't miss though. The Pseudo variant to try is DDH(Citra) PseudoSue. Amazing!

28. jlordi12

jlordi12 Devotee (470) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts

Psuedo Galaxy is bombers only? Makes no sense

29. Hawkeyejam

The variants are done in bombers because they are done seasonally 2-3 times year at most. I don't think this bomber is at the same price points as others. Saw a guy from Mass got a bomber of it for $10

jlordi12 likes this.
  30. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Aspirant (293) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

I may have been that guy, but it was 10.99 a bomber Ha! I am drinking the Galaxy Sue now and it is certainly good, but I'm not a repeat buyer at the price point. Too many great Galaxy hopped Ipas to be had for less coin in Ma. On a side note, the packie I bought the bomber at still has plenty of Mosaic Hopped Nugget, Supa Sumo bombers and 4 packs of the rest. Unless TG does some marketing to get some more new customers, I fear Sweatshirts prediction will come true. Which is a shame, the 4 packs are priced competitively and are good packie options. I would hate to see them languish past expiration dates.

31. Sheppard

Sheppard Poo-Bah (2,266) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Alright so I picked up my first 4 pack of PseudoSue. It was $13/4 pack, so 2 bucks cheaper than Fort Point and Julius. It was refrigerated at the store I got it at. This beer really dials in that tangy citrusy/mangoey character of Citra really well. I think that I still enjoy those two locals better but not by much. Trill has the problem of not brewing the OG often enough. TH is much more of a drive for me. There's a lot of doubt on the sustainability of TG's distribution, but they're certainly providing a value and time proposition that is awfully tempting.

That's my take.

yllib, Rysk22, killamonjaro and 2 others like this.
  32. AlcahueteJ

Society

I prefer my beers without man goo. Your mileage may vary.

Sheppard and killamonjaro like this.
  33. -Rick

-Rick Zealot (519) Dec 22, 2014 Massachusetts

Bacon's in Framingham got it today. $11.99/btl

34. killamonjaro

killamonjaro Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2017 Massachusetts

Craft beer cellars all got them on Tuesday. Dunno if they are still there anymore.

35. Manfrombelmonty

Manfrombelmonty Disciple (393) Sep 12, 2010 Massachusetts

Yeah, I was a little skeptical of the beer on first try, but I have to say i am really coming around to the idea of being able to pick up Psuedo or Golden Nugget on the way home for about $10 or $11 a 4 pack.

I think TG may live in the same place as pipeworks or Night Shift do for me. Some really good beers at a very good price that are easy to pick up.

36. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

Pompeii is a nice expression of Mosaic. I'll pick it up again on occasion.

jlordi12 and woodfinish like this.
  37. Manfrombelmonty

Manfrombelmonty Disciple (393) Sep 12, 2010 Massachusetts

Yeah it's a great wee beer for the price. Very happy to be able to grab that or Lizard King relatively easily

38. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

Great beer as well.

Manfrombelmonty likes this.
  39. killamonjaro

killamonjaro Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2017 Massachusetts

Galaxy sue was great. Blew through my bomber quickly and if you put that in front of me blind I would’ve guessed it was something you waited in line for. TG is quickly becoming the “grab one on the way home” beer for me. No complaints here and the stuff I’ve been getting has been two weeks old or less

40. AlcahueteJ

Society

I didn't care for Pseudo Sue and King Sue, which were my first two shots at Toppling Goliath.

I've since had Supa Sumo on draft which I enjoyed, and I've had Golden Nugget a few times which is my favorite so far.

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.