Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Toppling Goliath in Chicago

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by croush, Sep 3, 2016.

1. bradner

bradner Aspirant (287) Dec 26, 2007 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Is the delay related to a label approval issue with the State of Illinois?

2. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Aspirant (217) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Not exactly.

TG has what is called "can't-get-off-their-assisindrome". It can easily fixed by taking Titus' miracle drug, "Get-off-your-assidone," but they refuse. As a result, every step along the Oregon trail turns into an exercise in focus. Always, "Squirl!" at every turn.

Nbrock24 likes this.
  3. bradner

bradner Aspirant (287) Dec 26, 2007 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Incredibly disappointing. 5 years ago today I was in Decorah and brought home two clear growlers of Pseudoe Sue. That beer was so damn good.

TonyLuvsBeer and Nbrock24 like this.
  4. TonyLuvsBeer

TonyLuvsBeer Aspirant (286) Mar 28, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Still one of my fav beers. The real Psuedo Sue from Decorah is amazing.

5. Minipork

Minipork Initiate (171) Dec 11, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

might have been said already on this forum, but dude from LP binnys told me today Decorah beers should hit Chicago sometime this month

6. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Disciple (314) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Of course those won't hit shelves here for 6-8 months as they have to work through the backlog of 6 month old Florida TG stock in the distributor's warehouse....

7. SeanBond

SeanBond Champion (877) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Figures. I've been waiting for TG's Sue bombers to hit Chicago for almost a year now (after they announced distro to the area, I mean), so of course my best shot at them is now that I'm entering the "give me BA beers or give me death" portion of the year.

8. Quilentro

Quilentro Initiate (165) May 12, 2017 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Lucky man - looks like your bombers will be consistently “Bottle Aged.” :grin:

ditka311, eifster82, FBarber and 3 others like this.
  9. SeanBond

SeanBond Champion (877) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Hahahahaha, shit, touché!

Quilentro, FBarber and GuyFawkes like this.
  10. djtothemoney

djtothemoney Aspirant (207) Nov 30, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Was excited at Binny's South Loop to see a few cases of Pseudo Sue, but passed when I saw they were canned in August. Too many other good, local beers to buy something that's been sitting for a couple months.

I did pick up a bottle of Pompeii though.

11. croush

croush Zealot (579) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I haven't been in a bottle shop in awhile, but is that bomber of Sue still not available here?

Nbrock24 likes this.
  12. RandyRanderson

RandyRanderson Initiate (53) Jun 24, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I'll be in Chicago this weekend and looking for some beers to take home. Is there any fresh Pseudo Sue around or should I be wary of any TG I see?

13. TigerDriver91

TigerDriver91 Initiate (152) Jan 17, 2017 Illinois

You'll see plenty of Pseudo Sue 4pack cans around. Just check the date underneath before purchasing and decide if it makes sense for you in terms of shelf life for that style of beer.
    I haven't bought it since it showed up here as everythings been months old and as there are so many better local fresh options in my opinion, but I was curious to try it as I had never had it.

SeanBond likes this.
  14. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (1,982) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Nope - still haven't seen it at any of my usual spots.

croush likes this.
  15. kdawgmoney

kdawgmoney Initiate (160) Feb 14, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Not to rain on your parade, but did you check the date on the bomber. If my memory serves, those were bottled end of August/ early September and dropped in Chicago end of September. I believe I had one end of September and was disappointed. Just a heads up.

FBarber likes this.
  16. djtothemoney

djtothemoney Aspirant (207) Nov 30, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

The date was about the same if I remember correctly. I'm not too huge on dates being a problem, but I wasn't going to buy 2 month old PseudoSue over fresh NvU.

SeanBond and galos11 like this.
  17. Bbear

Bbear Initiate (172) Oct 26, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Seeing Galaxy Sue pop up around stores today. Good luck to anyone drinking that old mess.

18. PhilBallins

PhilBallins Initiate (65) Nov 29, 2016 Illinois

19. LongTaco15

LongTaco15 Aspirant (203) Feb 4, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Dat Baptista and Triple Barrel Baptist Doe!!!! I think the xhops gold is fresher than the galaxy sue.

20. ECCS

ECCS Aspirant (215) Oct 28, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

What is bottling date of galaxy hopped pseudo ?

21. Elldawg13

Elldawg13 Initiate (18) Mar 18, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

April 26, 1992

22. PhilBallins

PhilBallins Initiate (65) Nov 29, 2016 Illinois

Late Cretaceous

SeanBond, croush, FBarber and 3 others like this.
  23. eifster82

eifster82 Crusader (753) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I had Galaxy PsuedoSue on the day of the release in 2016 at Toppling Goliath, and I ended up bringing a whole case back with me while keeping it in a cold environment the entire time from the moment I purchased it (out of the fridge in Toppling Goliath's brewpub and into an ice filled cooler). When I first had it, it was absolutely delicious. Loved it! After about a month and a bit longer, that beer was a shell of its fresh self. It fell off fast, and I don't think that's all that uncommon from Galaxy hopped beers (especially ones with lower abv).

The only way I get a Galaxy PsuedoSue from this batch now is if someone gave it to me for free. But who knows, maybe over the year plus since the last release they've dialed in the recipe so much that it's good for 8 months since bottling (like they've claimed their hoppy beers are good for via Twitter).

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  24. Zaximus

Zaximus Zealot (587) Mar 14, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I'm not seeing a bottling date, which kinda sucks too, (I remember there being one on the last batch of Pompei I picked up) but based off TG's Twitter I think the Galaxy Sue is ~35 days old and the X Hops Gold is ~23.

I consistently drink ultra fresh hops from Corridor and FR but these aren't ancient and I typically love their bombers. Picked up one of each. I'll report back if they suck.

ECCS likes this.
  25. JJH1018

JJH1018 Initiate (188) Sep 13, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

My buddy in Wisconsin who sees regular distro said he had a Galaxy Sue on 10/21. Said the bomber was pretty fresh and very good. These are probably still decent.

26. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Aspirant (253) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Yeah grabbed one of each at LP today. 10/11 and 10/26 respectively. Will hope for old glory to be restored!

27. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Aspirant (253) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Drinking Galaxy Pseudo now. I have a head cold so my palate is dulled a bit. It’s drinking pretty nicely without the old hops flavor I got from just a one month old Pompeii. The hops aren’t bursting out of the glass and that could be from the cold or because it’s 5 weeks old.

I had Galaxy and DDH Citra when both were fresh from taproom and much preferred the Citra, just for context. If you’re curious I would pick one up

28. TigerDriver91

TigerDriver91 Initiate (152) Jan 17, 2017 Illinois

Drinking a Galaxy Sue now this is a real good beer. It's not blowing my mind, but I really like it and I would get it again and I definitely prefer it to regular Sue.
    I hope we'll see King Sue.

29. bmr29

bmr29 Initiate (99) Apr 30, 2017 Illinois
    Beer Trader

10/12. Hard pass at $11+tax a bomber.

BeerPrince22 likes this.
  30. TonyLuvsBeer

TonyLuvsBeer Aspirant (286) Mar 28, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Where is the dam bottle date? Binnys Naperville had like 4-5 cases and I️ couldn’t find a date on any bottle or the case boxes. Pass for me.

BeerPrince22 and eifster82 like this.
  31. eifster82

eifster82 Crusader (753) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I was looking for the dates myself at a separate store. Checked 4-5 bottles... nothing. Passed as well.

32. LongTaco15

LongTaco15 Aspirant (203) Feb 4, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

The date is towards the bottom of the neck. You need to hold it up to a good light source in order to see it.
    Picked up a 10/12 Galaxy Sue and 10/26 X hops.

HouseofWortship likes this.
  33. novamat

novamat Disciple (317) Sep 24, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Not only is it on the neck, you have to hold it up to the light and have it at a certain angle to see it. It generally takes me a 30 seconds or more to find the date and I know almost exactly where to look

And apparently a batch of DDH Sue bombers were released earlier this year without date stamps. Buying one of those was a real trust exercise lol.

34. flat_lander

flat_lander Aspirant (233) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Yep, and often it rubs off with just a slight touch. It's like a faded yellow powder. Tough to find for sure.

Trust fall.

Nbrock24 likes this.
  35. RexKramer

RexKramer Initiate (194) Jan 19, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Same here. I'm sure it'd be better a little fresher, but it's still a good beer.

TigerDriver91 and csmakio like this.
  36. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Disciple (314) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

They should just be bigger dicks and start printing the dates on the inside base of the bottle so you have to finish the beer to see when it was bottled....

37. Jplachy

Jplachy Aspirant (275) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Grabbed a bomber of Galaxy Sue at Jewel last night. I imagine the 3 cases they got are going to sit around FOREVER. I'm dead tired but if I can muster up the energy to drink tonight this is what I'll crack.

FBarber likes this.
  38. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Meyvn (1,227) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Cracked a bottle last night. Full disclosure: I'm in full-on hype beast NE IPA mode.

Nothing special. It wasn't super bitter, which I prefer, but it wasn't very flavorful either. Very neutral.

No date that was legible on my bottle, so I have no clue when this was packaged, and certainly no idea what happened on it's unimaginably time-consuming journey 277 mile journey from Decorah, so maybe this was incredible fresh. It was my first bottle of this, and I won't be buying another.

39. Jplachy

Jplachy Aspirant (275) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I drank my bottle of Galaxy Sue on Saturday. I liked it. The aroma was on point. I think that my palate is getting skewed toward zero IBU IPAs. Because now I drink something bitter and my brain exaggerates it times 100. So the bitterness was there and it was a turn off at first and then I enjoyed it.

jaysker95 likes this.
  40. novamat

novamat Disciple (317) Sep 24, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I tried a Xhops Gold over the weekend and it was great, better than Galaxy Sue in my opinion (which I picked up last month in Wisconsin). I think the Golds are coming up on a month old at this point or have just passed that point, but well worth picking up if you come across it.

FBarber and HouseofWortship like this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.