Toppling Goliath in Chicago

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by croush, Sep 3, 2016.

1. croush

croush Defender (606) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Not according to some others in this thread that posted earlier on this page. I’m not saying you’re wrong (or that they are either)...just interesting all these different opinions and trying to compare these new batches to older stuff.

2. WIexile

WIexile Initiate (55) Jul 20, 2017 Michigan

First time I seen Sue on tap was 2012. It was hazy. Every batch since has been a little different on amount and overall color of the batch, but in my experience I've never poured a clear Sue till FL cans.

For reference from google.
    [​IMG]

3. SeanBond

SeanBond Champion (862) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois

It's almost appropriate that we went from the "what's the difference between FL Sue and Decorah Sue" controversy to "What is PseudoSue, anyway?"

I always assumed that PS would be at least somewhat hazy, because KS and some of their other beers are hazy.
    Out of curiosity, do you know what batch you're drinking?

4. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Devotee (435) May 3, 2016 Illinois

It's all BS. Too many variables. It's very hard to make a consistent beer at that level. Look at Zombie Dust. That never was made outside of FFF, but somehow ever time I try it it tastes different.....

The box PSue I had was excellent, it was not hazy, but it was much sharper on flavor notes than Florida stuff. Could that just be freshness? Who knows, but it popped. I found the Florida stuff more bland, but love the new stuff. Everything I've had from TG in the past few months, save a Galaxy Sue with no date stamp, has been remarkable.

5. stevegoz

stevegoz Aspirant (241) May 5, 2008 Illinois
    Trader

I finally drank my King Sue from the December batch on SBS -- jeebus, that was a flashback to the old "Citra tastes like cat piss" days!

6. Jplachy

Jplachy Aspirant (249) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois

Purchased in early January. The batch that hit right after the initial super hazy stuff.

SeanBond likes this.
  7. Jplachy

I agree with all of this.

8. SeanBond

I've only had 1 can of the 4 I got (so I'll have another in the next day or two), but the single can honestly didn't pop with citra the way the old Florida batches did, which is why I'm curious about batch consistency. It was a perfectly decent beer (lots of particulate/sediment, for reference), but wasn't as citra-forward as I'd hoped.

I'm glad to hear that others are enjoying the cans, though, because that leads me to believe that I either got an off can, or an off-batch. As long as the stuff is consistently good, that's all I really care about.

9. Jplachy

Drink it from the can like a Heady Topper. I enjoyed it much more that way. Kept the sediment from getting too kicked up.

10. SeanBond

I don't drink Heady from the can, but I'll give it a shot with Sue! :grin:

edit: That does make sense, though; I've mentioned before that some of HA's beers get less "crisp" and "bright" when the sediment mixes in, so I can see this being my issue with the PS cans.

Jplachy likes this.
  11. croush

Trader

Still no word on those Pompeii cans hitting Chicago? That stuff is almost a week old at this point, so probably tastes like garbage by now.

12. beardown2489

beardown2489 Disciple (316) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

Just found 1/18 batch of Sue in the burbs.

It’s pretty darn good. Not quite back to magic yet. I liked the Pompeii I had on tap last month more. And there is still plenty of junk in the bottom of the can so I’ll keep leaving the last ounce or 2 behind

That said, the beer in my glass tastes as good as many of the better APAs in Chicago. Good substitute for drumroll, lizard king, Brickstone, etc...

13. TigerDriver91

TigerDriver91 Initiate (99) Jan 17, 2017 Illinois

Stack of Pompeii cans at Binny's Grand on the floor. Drinking one now. It's good, very mosaic forward, lots of mosaic aroma, but lots and lots of floaters for some reason :/
    To be honest at the price point, I'd rather drink a local mosaic forward beer whose taste profile I also seem to like a bit more (ahem ahem Lizard King ahem ahem).

14. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Disciple (377) May 17, 2013 Illinois

I was very impressed with the Pompeii can I had last night. Will definitely be adding it to the rotation.

FBarber likes this.
  15. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Aspirant (249) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois

Yours wasn’t $9.99 a 4-pack?

16. TigerDriver91

TigerDriver91 Initiate (99) Jan 17, 2017 Illinois

Yea it was,sorry should have clarified, what I meant is that Lizard King is also 9.99 a 4 pack (and sometimes on sale for 7.99, which should be a crime or something) and I think I prefer the overall flavor of Lizard King more but that is just my personal preference in regards to comparing both as mosaic beers.
    But don't get me wrong, I thought Pompeii is pretty good and if I don't pour out the last little bit of the can I avoid most of the floaters.

17. Minipork

Minipork Initiate (132) Dec 11, 2010 Illinois

If you ever get a can of Focal Banger that is the king of the flaoters

SeanBond, TigerDriver91 and Nbrock24 like this.
  18. flat_lander

flat_lander Disciple (392) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

I dk, I had a Noon Whistle Gummysicle once that was pretty brutal. Way worse than the few cans of Focal Banger I've had.

FBarber and eppie82 like this.
  19. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Aspirant (249) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois

I see what you mean now, just didn’t get the price comment. LK was 7.99 all summer. I hope that returns to Binny’s again this June. I’m really loving this access to Decorah brews and am relieved to see that the date coder is working on Pompeii packaging.

TigerDriver91 likes this.
  20. BeerPrince22

BeerPrince22 Initiate (102) Feb 21, 2016 Illinois

Just had one in NYC. Delicious as always. I still respect the “Better out of can” so people don’t freak after pouring it into a glass.

Minipork and Nbrock24 like this.
  21. SeanBond

I'd freak because you DIDN'T pour into a glass. :stuck_out_tongue:

BeerPrince22 and GuyFawkes like this.
  22. Jinx989

Jinx989 Devotee (402) Apr 22, 2015 Illinois
    Premium Trader

Anyone else see this? Looks like a shitshow in the making, Maybe trying to give LP Binnys on Black Friday a run for their money.

#1382 Jinx989, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  23. HouseofWortship

Line cutters gonna' get sliced....

24. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,020) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

It's nice that they'll have something available for the people that didn't win tickets, but man is that line going to be long and absurd! I was hoping to be able to go into the taproom after bottle pick up and just get normal drinks while checking out the place, but this makes that seem less realistic. I'll just have to check it out some other time. :neutral_face:

25. BobCobb

BobCobb Aspirant (239) Jul 10, 2012 Illinois

I don't understand this at all, unless it turns out to be something like signed Florida Sue cans specifically to troll the ones up front.

TG is so far beyond needing to supplement this event with additional hype, so why incentive the worst of the chitlords? Why not announce what it is and ask for a $10 charity donation upon entrance to be included in raffle. Or do a silent release of it / in house only consumption.

Or literally any other option that's not: the first ones in line win the best prize.

In before it's their company they can do what they want.

croush and Coons like this.
  26. Coons

Coons Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2016 Illinois

plot twist: 128 people get large rocks that they may use to attack the winning thousand, armed only with their assassin bottles

SeanBond and PhilBallins like this.
  27. Vitacca

Vitacca Defender (647) Sep 15, 2010 Wisconsin
    Premium Trader

This is completely unnecessary. Wait 6 hours in line before it opens or wait 6 hours after the tap room opens? Even if the thought crossed my mind about making the drive, this is a deal breaker. Real fucking cool TG.

28. sahd-1

sahd-1 Disciple (307) Jul 2, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

And by “chitlords” you mean Chicago-shitlords...

Born_A_Jee and GuyFawkes like this.
  29. HouseofWortship

Worse, it's cans of Florida Assassin...

JakeT469, Hop-Trollop, Coons and 5 others like this.
  30. stevegoz

stevegoz Aspirant (241) May 5, 2008 Illinois
    Trader

So...rum barrel?

31. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,339) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

Just stopped in here to say that I drank a Pompeii can last night and it was fantastic. Ive always loved Pompeii and the cans didn't disappoint. I hope this is one thats pretty regularly available.

32. Minipork

Minipork Initiate (132) Dec 11, 2010 Illinois

Dang these cans of Pompeii are great. I drank my last can of Bright last night and IMO Pompeii is a way better Mosiac IPA. Also, Im a Pipeworks fanboy and i prefer this over Lizard King. Again, only my opinion as I realize others have different palates.

33. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (1,625) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois

Hot take: Bright sux so not really a benchmark.

Disclosure: I love Tree House but Bright is their worst "hoppy" beer. (edit: IMO)

Coons likes this.
  34. Coons

Coons Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2016 Illinois

eureka blows too

mtgwi, jaysker95 and GuyFawkes like this.
  35. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (1,625) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois

Agreed.

36. Chuckdiesel24

Chuckdiesel24 Crusader (792) Jul 6, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Bright with Nelson
    Bright with citra

-different stories

37. darktain

darktain Initiate (148) Dec 1, 2015 Illinois

Exactly how I feel

GuyFawkes likes this.
  38. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,020) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Bright is probably their least 'NE IPA' tasting beer in their PA/IPA/DIPA line up. Actually, I don't think it tastes like an NE IPA much at all. Although not among my favorites, I still like it though. It's a nice change of pace. Reminds me more of an old school DIPA.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  39. croush

Trader

Good to hear. Never had any of the Brights, and just recently received a can of Bright with Citra that I was looking forward to.

jaysker95 and Chuckdiesel24 like this.
  40. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,339) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

I suspect you'll like it - I really liked both bright and Bright with citrus but I found them to both be a nice balance between the more bitter classic profile and the NE style IPA.