Toppling Goliath Releases and Updates

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by WI-Beer-Man, Sep 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ckoz

Ckoz Aspirant (298) Feb 15, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

This is the line for the opening/ left over allocations

BeersAndBears likes this.
  2. SovereignGood

SovereignGood Aspirant (237) Jan 11, 2016 California

Oh my bad. Enjoy the beer, cheers.

BeersAndBears and Ckoz like this.
  3. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (12,669) Apr 18, 2007 Florida
    Society Trader

How is Batch 4 tasting?

4. nograz

nograz Disciple (383) Oct 30, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

He is talking about the line to get in when it opens to the public. Which your spot in line maybe important now since Clark announced left over MD will be sold as first come, first serve.

BeersAndBears, SovereignGood and Ckoz like this.
  5. KarlKarl

KarlKarl Initiate (69) Feb 10, 2012 Minnesota

People need to start calling these a-holes out. It's hard to do I know. Nobody likes confrontation. But call em out. Everybody behind you will have your back. Hate it

6. Ckoz

Ckoz Aspirant (298) Feb 15, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Problem is most of the time you can't tell who it is because there are large groups here. I was 37 now I'm 57. Still an hour to go so I'm sure that # will climb

BeersAndBears and KarlKarl like this.
  7. lr300

lr300 Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2014 Puerto Rico

The bottle share at The Courtyard and Cellar was amazing. Some even got a free pour of Assassin. Thanks to everyone who shared.

8. Cibsie

Cibsie Aspirant (201) Jan 10, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

I'm sure everyone got a pour of the Vanilla Bean KBBS that was alluded to on twitter?

BeersAndBears and KarlKarl like this.
  9. KarlKarl

KarlKarl Initiate (69) Feb 10, 2012 Minnesota

Yeah! To the group downstairs on the far wall to the left of the entrance....you guys were rentlentless!! We could hardly open up our own bottles to share because you guys kept throwing amazing stuff our way. Made it hard to get out of there. Unreal generosity. had some friends come to their first release/share weekend and they could not believe the atmosphere there.

TeeJep, ECOBOOSTINST, cd34 and 2 others like this.
  10. Cibsie

Cibsie Aspirant (201) Jan 10, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

I gotta say the same about everyone at Rubaiyat last night. It was basically everyone gets a pour of every bucket list beer you can imagine and so many more you wish you'd heard of before. I never thought the Rare Beer Cave Fest at Casanova's could be beat.

11. That_Bearded_Guy

That_Bearded_Guy Disciple (347) Jan 25, 2016 California
    Trader

This coffee Assassin is awesome.

12. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Devotee (463) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

You're the worst :wink:

Anything good at Pulpit Rock this year? The To Hop and To Hold crowlers were amazing last year though that was in October

13. Rajaholick

Rajaholick Initiate (170) Jan 9, 2011 Ohio
    Trader

I thought pulpits hazelnut stout was amazing, no crowlers unfortunately.
    I got crowlers of their pour over porter and the new dipa. Will crack em open over the next couple weeks.
    "Working" my way through supasumo right now and it's already one of my top IPAs ever.

stuncandy and Nbrock24 like this.
  14. fds

fds Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2013 Nebraska

My friend who went today said he liked the PR hazelnut more than MD (and he liked MD too). Thought that was interesting.

15. JFresh21

JFresh21 Disciple (349) Mar 6, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

MD tasting really good this year. I like it better than coffee Assassin.

Boldbrew, Sabtos and BeersAndBears like this.
  16. bocky24

bocky24 Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2013 Iowa

Coffee Assassin needed more coffee, I want my coffee stouts to slap me in the face with coffee.

BeersAndBears and dman5400 like this.
  17. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Devotee (463) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I hear you but not to the point of Cafe Deth IMO

18. JFresh21

JFresh21 Disciple (349) Mar 6, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

It needed vanilla.

19. stuncandy

stuncandy Initiate (0) May 5, 2016 Iowa

Word for word my experience.

20. bocky24

bocky24 Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2013 Iowa

Never had cafe deth, don't get me wrong Assassin coffee was awesome just wanted more coffee.

21. Hookstrat

Hookstrat Initiate (124) Jan 15, 2006 Iowa
    Trader

Where i
    Just did side-to-side of Rhyme Animal and Supa Sumo after the (nearly) sober drive back from Decorah. They are both very good, soft juicy DIPAs -- way too drinkable at 8%. As a single glass, Rhyme Animal maybe has a little something extra special compared to Supa Sumo. It's probably the Vic Sec, or just smaller batch size at Pulpit, but the extra something in Rhyme Animal also comes with slightly less drinkability for me. The grassiness builds a bit through the pint. It's not a complaint. Just saying I'm perfectly happy to have multiples of the slightly less aggressive, but amazingly drinkable Supa Sumo.

TeeJep and warrendietrich2001 like this.
  22. scifan87

scifan87 Initiate (99) Jan 12, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Drinking on the back of the pickup in the big field camping spot bring bottles let's have fun

Boldbrew and BeersAndBears like this.
  23. cd34

cd34 Defender (606) May 12, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Yeah those guys were awesome. I didn't think I would make it out of their and then we went outside and even more crazy bottles

TeeJep likes this.
  24. scifan87

scifan87 Initiate (99) Jan 12, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Anyone still going?

25. nmoe

nmoe Initiate (134) Dec 18, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

Thanks everyone at C&C for the share. I really enjoyed it outside! Everyone was so fun to hang out with which is what makes the shares great.

Ristaccia likes this.
  26. Frankipa

Frankipa Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2017 Iowa

[​IMG] Not a big fan of stouts but this MD it's amazing

Hookstrat likes this.
  27. fondyball20

fondyball20 Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2015 Wisconsin

I didn't get much coffee in Coffee Assassin either. The MD was solid, lots of maple this batch.

I started around 60 in line at 1:30... by 4:30 we were around 100. Older women and guys walking up and hopping in line 10 minutes before opening.

blackhawks likes this.
  28. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (171) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

Was impressed at either how much extra MD there was or how many no-shows there were. Did anyone at TG today who wanted an MD box not get one? I had opportunity to buy 2 additional box sets if I had wanted, but decided to pay rent this month instead. I definitely saw tables of people with over $1,000 of MD boxes stacked up and a guy with 5 all to himself.

Also I have to say the natural non-cornfield beauty of Decorah caught me off guard. We are not the most fond of huge crowds or slow lines, so took a ride up the road to explore while the line at TG wittled down. The Ice Cave was cool as was the park with the freaky high road up to the overlook, but the cave-fed springs definitely take the cake. Also chocolate covered bacon at the candy shop downtown. I'm glad my SO talked me into making a day of it instead of the planned quick grab and go because once the town emptied out the vibe was nice and chill (just my speed). When we left around 7 or 8pm there was still MD, Naughty Temple, & BA Chainsmoker on tap with no line. Perfectly run, excellent release!

29. DriftlessFarmer

DriftlessFarmer Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2016 Iowa

IMO, if you come to Decorah for a release from a long ways away and just grab and go, you're completely wasting your time, and I don't understand your priorities.

30. brbe6

brbe6 Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2012 Minnesota

I would say at least 10-15% who win the lottery since it's open to everyone in the world don't even plan on winning and/or showing up if they win and then I am sure another 5-10% won't be able to arrange a trip and probably a few more end up buying their ticket to purchase but something comes up to where they can't show. That was all based off comments on their facebook and twitter I read with people saying stuff like that so if I had known more than a day in advance they were dropping the extra sets first come first serve when they open I would have definitely made the trip down from the cities with good confidence in landing one.

Number1Framer likes this.
  31. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,588) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

I was extremely impressed with the bottle pickup efficiency as well as the camaraderie around town and the amazing beer options all around town. I had more than I could have imagined the first 2 hours I was in town, and I had a good 36 hours before I had to leave. Only downside for us was the limited food options after 8pm. With hospital shifts you get used to having dinner late and being spoiled in larger cities.

We also went to the tour at the new enormous brewery this and they said it was built with even more expansion room if necessary. Fermentation tanks were maxed at 200 barrels, if I remember correctly, to ensure juiciness remains in tact for their IPAs. Clark explained the maple process in MD and said they made a bunch of MD this year with KBBS in mind, so maybe, :rolling_eyes:, there might be a little more hope for more bottles of that too :grin:

Oh and BTW Sumo was fucking delicious. So much pineapple!!!

32. Sabtos

Society Trader

So much this.

Boldbrew and JFresh21 like this.
  33. Blackhole

Blackhole Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2015 Iowa

Curious as to the description of how they do it..... thanks

34. Number1Framer

Trader

According to a tweet tonight they sold 400 sets at the 4:30 first come first serve opening. I can see why he wouldn't announce it until day of since all the extra people showing up hoping to score would've turned the whole little town into a complete shitshow clusterfuck. I was in the afternoon session and when we walked out at just after 1pm there was already a sizeable line building up. When we passed by around 6pm after the open it was down the the street and around the corner.

35. Dolomitey

Dolomitey Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2015 Iowa

The separate lines would have been the only problem. Could have been a big one though.

36. Sabtos

Society Trader

I wish I was recording, someone else actually did record the tour but I think they cut it at this point.

Anyway, to the best of my recollection it's boiled with a hickory/wood fire and open to the smoke which it is allowed to openly absorb which is why it's so smoky. And it's so intense because they reduce it way more than even typical NE style pancake syrup to the point where you probably wouldn't want to consume it by itself (I'd love to try it or see it though). But the density allows the flavor and smoke to survive the yeast which usually does a good number on maple sugars in beer.

37. Sabtos

Society Trader

All on/from their family farm--I forgot to add. Which I think someone already noted earlier.

Clarkee likes this.
  38. Number1Framer

Trader

Very interesting. As someone who's seen maple syrup made in a giant tub over a bonfire in the middle of the woods, I would also like to try this and also wonder what adding fully-reduced straight up maple sugar would do vs allowing it to remain in anything resembling a liquid form. They should bottle small tasters of this syrup and sell them for an outrageous price.

Sabtos likes this.
  39. CityFarmer

CityFarmer Initiate (173) Mar 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I bet the line jumpers went to town on that setup!

40. TeeJep

TeeJep Initiate (74) Apr 1, 2016 Iowa

Couldn't have said it better myself. What an awesome experience!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.