Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

trade/bottleshare in Seattle & Portland

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Cmack15, Jul 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cmack15

Cmack15 Sep 7, 2008 Massachusetts

Hi I am traveling to Seattle and Portland late August. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in some in person trading or a bottle share? Not sure what I am bringing yet but I have a few Hill Farmstead bottles, some cans of Heady and other great beers. Hopefully this interests someone, it always good to hear about the beer scene from a local and learn of the hidden gems.
    Cheers

2. Shmeal

Shmeal Nov 9, 2009 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I'm listening.

barleywinefiend likes this.
  3. digita7693

digita7693 Jan 19, 2010 Germany
    Beer Trader

What are the dates? The pdx folks are usually quite accommodating to visitors and always seem to be up for a bottle share.

4. ArchEnemyBrew

ArchEnemyBrew Mar 21, 2010 Washington

HF you say? You can stay at my place. I'll even let you sleep in my bed.

ford0626, TwoTrees and ijaap like this.
  5. John_M

John_M Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Beer Trader

Unless late August means the Labor Day weekend, I'd be up for a bottle share. I have a number of items that I really need to "share" soon, before they get much older (King Henry, couple of vintages of darkness, some central waters barleywine, etc.).

mrgabe likes this.
  6. kscaldef

kscaldef Jun 11, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

We like drinking. Your biggest challenge will probably just be not colliding with some other drinking event.

m4ttj0nes likes this.
  7. ijaap

ijaap Jan 5, 2013 Washington
    Beer Trader

Depending on when you make it to Seattle there's a group of us who'd open some bottles and bullshit in a kitchen.

TysonA, jklinck, bfg75 and 2 others like this.
  8. Lansman

Lansman Mar 19, 2011 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Hold on to that CW BBBW. It gets significantly better after the heat fades over time. I have a plethora of the good stuff I just brought over from the Midwest. Best BBBW for the price that I've found.

ijaap likes this.
  9. John_M

Moderator Beer Trader

I'll have to double check, but I think the bottles I have are already a couple of years old. However, I've got plenty of other stuff I can crack open for any upcoming bottle share, so maybe I won't bring any of the central water stuff to the party. :)

(assuming there is going to be a party)

10. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Aug 17, 2005 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I'm down for a bottle share, as long as it isn't between the hours of 9am-5pm M-F.

m4ttj0nes and distantmantra like this.
  11. mrgabe

mrgabe Jul 12, 2013 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Interested. Dates?

12. Lansman

Beer Trader

I plan on holding a gathering of beer geeks the Saturday of NFL Week One (that would be September 7). This is the first weekend date where I will have my reconstructed cellar back in place after my move from Chicago.

To those who will be available for the gathering, try not to miss this. It will be held in a house along Green Lake. Details to follow.

bfg75, beertunes, podunkparte and 5 others like this.
  13. digita7693

digita7693 Jan 19, 2010 Germany
    Beer Trader

Brews for New Avenues day;)
    brews.newavenues.org

14. Lansman

Beer Trader

Good call. And I bought tickets based on your post too. Thanks for the reminder.

SEPTEMBER 14.

digita7693 likes this.
  15. bfg75

bfg75 Feb 26, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

Sounds like you'll be living right near me. I'm in Greenlake too. Will try to make the share if it's the 14th but may be driving back from Corvallis that day so it would be a little iffy.

ijaap likes this.
  16. Prufrockstar

Prufrockstar Jan 15, 2013 Washington

Zwanze Day ;)

podunkparte likes this.
  17. Shmeal

Shmeal Nov 9, 2009 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Block 15 Cellar Stash Sale.

LoPo87, davemont, m4ttj0nes and 6 others like this.
  18. Lansman

Beer Trader

ARGH. You guys are killing me and being awesome at the same time.

Sunday is Football Day in my household, so that's a non-starter.

Anything going on September 21 that I'm forgetting?

19. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Aug 17, 2005 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Hood River Fresh Hop Festival.

(just kidding, that's on the 28th)

20. John_M

Moderator Beer Trader

Could you possibly elucidate a bit more about this? I know absolutely nothing about this event!

21. beefandbean22

beefandbean22 Oct 15, 2008 Washington
    Beer Trader

Don't worry about it....

22. honkduh

honkduh Jun 2, 2011 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Fresh hop is the 28th

23. bfg75

bfg75 Feb 26, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

Shhhhhhhh!!!!! Don't tell anyone! :p

24. distantmantra

distantmantra May 23, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

Red Peak's Native Lambic Fest is the week after that.

I think we're probably booked into early 2014.

25. draheim

draheim Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

I've heard that one is by reservation only. <rimshot>

26. distantmantra

distantmantra May 23, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

You actually have to be a member of a native tribe to attend. Me being a card carrying member of the Ottawa tribe really comes in handy.

27. w_klon

w_klon Aug 1, 2012 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Guaranteed, if you set a time and place in PDX, people will come to a bottleshare.

digita7693, mrgabe and hopsbreath like this.
  28. Cmack15

yes I will be there the week before labor day thru the weekend

29. switzer

switzer Jan 18, 2012 Oregon

Sometime the week before Labor Day weekend would be doable. I imagine that weekend will pull people in a lot of directions.

30. w_klon

w_klon Aug 1, 2012 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I vote for the Wednesday (28th) or Thursday (29th) before Labor Day weekend :D

31. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Feb 21, 2012 Oregon
    Beer Trader

My vote is for a Sunday for once.

32. Cmack15

ok so it seems like a bottle share is the best way to do this, because I am getting way too many trade requests to be fair. I was thinking Aug 29th in Portland somewhere, also I am hoping we can do this at a bar/tasting room and have the owners be involved and maybe share some cellar treats. Does anyone out there know any bar/brewery people that they could talk to about this. I can bring some decent beers to share, but it would be nice if we are all on the same page. For instance I could bring some Kate the Great, Allagash Coolships, and other rare treats only if local folks come through too. Otherwise I can bring some decent regular offerings from the east coast. I was thinking we should call this meet up East meets West.
    Cheers

ijaap likes this.
  33. ijaap

Beer Trader

Don't forget about us Seattle-ites. We like to share too.

TysonA and beertunes like this.
  34. John_M

Moderator Beer Trader

That's actually the weekend I know I had in mind when I mentioned labor day. That being said, the 29th would work pretty well for me, as I'll be flying out of town from PDX the following Friday anyway.

As I mentioned, possible beers I could bring inclulde the 2011 and 2012 Surly Darkness, King Henry and also Fitgers Bourbon Barrel aged Edmund Fitzgerald RIS. Is that sufficiently "decent" enough for you? :)

As far as a place to meet up, I can't speak for them, but I know in the past Beermongers has been very cool about allowing previous bottle share gatherings. That's all I know.

35. beertunes

beertunes Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

I'd be in for a Seattle share. Got a couple non-BA friends who'd probably be in too. Sunday's work for me.

beerloverofbham and ijaap like this.
  36. stx00lax

stx00lax Dec 27, 2009 Washington
    Beer Trader

I'll be moving to greenlake next week. Count me interested!

Lansman and ijaap like this.
  37. ijaap

Beer Trader

I know of at least 2 BA members who would be interested as well.

38. LoPo87

LoPo87 Mar 9, 2012 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Contact Beermongers. This is where we do most of our tastings and they are quite accommodating with a few simple rules. As long as we have a beermonger open the bottles, let them taste if they are interested, and tip them/buy beers for there or to go they usually welcome us with open arms. Fridays and Satrudays are the days they might say no so we should be fine on the 29th. Typically when out of towners set up bottle shares the local PDX guys will bring some nice local stuff from their cellars that you might not have ever had. Old Upright Sole Comps, vintage cascade and hotd etc. If you get the go ahead from beermongers we have a google spreadsheet we can start filling out with who is attending and what they plan on bringing.

digita7693 and ijaap like this.
  39. Cmack15

ok looks like Beermongers is gonna be the spot. Any chance one of you guys could be the point man and let them know we are coming? Should we set up an event page to help get a head count?
    "I can bring some decent beers to share, but it would be nice if we are all on the same page" sorry if that sounded douchey I totally was trying to think how to word that and just failed. Basically I just wanna share my beers with good people and try some new beers that are not always on the shelf. Looking forward to this

40. Cmack15

so can we get a headcount and who is bringing what going? It would be nice to have an idea what we are drinking so that we don't have too much overlap.
    cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe