Trade Value Thread (2020)

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by Michaelpro824, Jan 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ckgibu

Ckgibu (299) Jun 3, 2020 Hawaii
    Trader

Honestly, as someone who trades whisky for beer, why do you start by identifying a handful of scotches you’re going after? Would help from a valuation perspective. Also, having traveled to Washington, I don’t blame you for trying this route, as your liquor tax is pure insanity. Seeing shops list both the msrp and the “Washington” price, makes me go from elated to finding rare whisky to WTF?! when the real cost is calculated lol. Your local distilleries rock, tho!

Hawkfish and Affinity like this.
  2. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 (1,490) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

I just saw this trade posted... somewhere and I really hate to see people get ripped off like this. I mean that must be around $130-200 worth of beer (depending on JK bottle size) on the American side, with a secondary value of close to $180-250, right? And all that for two bottles of Westvleteren 12 worth around 25€ secondary, the rest is so cheap and common that they might as well be extras.

Seriously, that bottle of BCBS Northwoods should get the entire trade done by itself, or am I way off here?

"I sent 3x BCBS 2017, 1x BCBS 2017 Northwoods, 2x Jester King 2020 SPON 3-year blend, 2x JK SPON Muscat.

I will get 2x Westy 12, 1x Zundert 8, 1x Achel, 1x La Trappe Wit, 1x La Trappe Quad, 1x Orval, and 1x Chimay Reserve."

3. Slack

Slack (790) Feb 14, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

I believe the JK spon bottles are 750 and the anniversary are 375 and 750 but it doesn't matter since Westy 12 can be found in DC and typically ordered online.

4. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

The 3 Year Blend is available in both 375ml and 750ml bottles, not sure about the Muscat.

5. William_Navidson

William_Navidson (494) May 1, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Northwoods doesn't have much, if any, secondary value in major cities and metropolitan areas. I'm fairly sure you could buy it to-go for the past year at the Goose Island Philly location until it closed recently.

Either way, yes -- unbalanced. Really, really hoping that wasn't an international trade lol.

Affinity likes this.
  6. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

It was...

7. Affinity

Affinity (503) Nov 24, 2018 Missouri
    Trader

I recently offered 10 bottles of beer worth over $200 retail value for 1 beer with $50 retail. The secondary on my side was double as well. It was a skewed trade in the other trader's favor, but for me they were beers I wasn't going to drink and was happy to trade.

Those Goose Island & Jester King beers may be of value to some, but to others they may just represent beers that are taking space in their house that they aren't going to drink. The context of each trade matters.

eppie82, jno, tgates and 12 others like this.
  8. William_Navidson

William_Navidson (494) May 1, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Well said. It's easy to innocently get too caught up in the secondary "value" of goods sometimes as if they're some kind of objective measurement, but the truth is that they're just guidelines based on what other transactions have occurred and are prone to fluctuate based on the particulars in each instance.

jno, Slack, 7irondave and 2 others like this.
  9. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

This isn't even about secondary, they are literally trading barrel-aged beers that retail for $20 (except the standard BCBS) for common Trappist beers that you can buy at any beverage shop for 3€ in Europe, with the W12 being the only exception here.

Sure, whatever makes people happy, but I cannot help but feel that one party is being taken advantage of here.

10. Affinity

Trader

I agree its not about secondary. But if the trader was never going to drink the beers that were collecting dust in their house, wouldn't it be better to trade for something that they would drink? Take price out of the equation here.

@Snowcrash000 I think your heart is in the right place, but maybe both sides of the trade left happy. In the end that is the only thing that matters.

William_Navidson and Slack like this.
  11. Slack

Trader

I guess the allure of what was once considered the world's best beer would drive a trade like this or perhaps fomo. Having only recently peeked into a FB razzle group, I can understand that people are willing to overpay for stuff e.g. Westbrook coconaughty was available at the brewery with proxies and FB people were still buying it for an exorbitant secondary price

12. Slack

Trader

Or perhaps as @Affinity noted both parties were happy - hopefully that was/is the case

Affinity likes this.
  13. Grave252

Grave252 (0) Mar 12, 2017 Minnesota
    Trader

Maybe a silly question for you experts, but what kind of trade value does Utopias have? For a beer or bourbon perspective.

14. D09daryl

D09daryl (0) Mar 11, 2017 California
    Trader

I think it's retail & secondary value are about the same

tgates, nmoe, 12ArmedGoon and 5 others like this.
  15. jts211

jts211 (393) Aug 5, 2018 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Want to gauge if this is a fair trade to both parties:

HF Aaron 2016
    Eq/Bottle Logic Binary Elements
    Goose Island Birthday Bourbon County Brand Stout

For

TG Assassin 2018

(3:1) is the proposed trade. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks Ba'ers!
    @luvtotri140

#1695 jts211, Dec 21, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  16. Affinity

Trader

Seems fair to me....I would be happy to be on either side.

Hopelessly0 and Ckgibu like this.
  17. jts211

Society Trader

Thanks for the insight.

18. Hopelessly0

Hopelessly0 (451) May 13, 2019 California
    Trader

Personally feel the person giving away 3 bottles is giving too much. Assassin 2018 is the worst year of Assassin too. If it were for any other year of Assassin, it wouldn't be as bad. Just my opinion, I would want the Assassin side to add a small plus if possible.

19. jts211

Society Trader

Thanks Ba'ers. More feedback is always welcome!

20. nmoe

nmoe (269) Dec 18, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

Agree, some friends have said they are enjoying Orange Wax Assassin more with age, but I would strongly suggest going with 2016 (more dark fruit) or 2019/2020 (more chocolate and barrel).

jts211 likes this.
  21. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist (355) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Trader

Any idea on the value of 1792 full proof?

Thanks in advance

22. Leftofthedial

Leftofthedial (557) Nov 17, 2011 California
    Trader

While places usually seem to have 1 bottle limits when it’s in stock, I can find it at MSRP pretty frequently. Seems like a $4$ trade for regional/semi-limited beer is fair. Store picks would go for a little more.

carlso_aw, jno and Thirst_trappist like this.
  23. Thirst_trappist

Trader

Value of the current kbbs?

Hawkfish likes this.
  24. CityFarmer

CityFarmer (260) Mar 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Anyone have insight regarding value for BA Kamoho from Riverlands? Couldn't find anything in the completed trades forum.

25. spersichilli

spersichilli (0) Apr 26, 2018 California
    Trader

highly regional, I very rarely see 1792 FP in Florida at all

Thirst_trappist likes this.
  26. BourbonForBeer

BourbonForBeer (0) May 11, 2020 Illinois
    Trader

Currently in my region it's 120 value for 1792 FP

Thirst_trappist likes this.
  27. HopBroker

HopBroker (0) Jun 5, 2015 Washington
    Trader

Hi everybody! I'm looking to do a big trade after the weather warms a bit. Looking to get a head start. A couple disclaimers: I don't track values at all, I don't know many current acronyms (I know what VRU is but don't know the monetary value of 1 VRU) and I don't have a Facebook where it seems like some of this bigger bottle trading occurs now. I'm really just looking for some rough estimates of the below bottles/packages. Thank you SO much in advance, happy to include more info if it would help. Happy New Year!

• HM Hand of Glory Batch 1
    • HM Guava Table
    • HM Guava Rum Table
    • Fremont 3 Matt's ('17+'18+'19)
    • Fremont B1k + B2k + B3k + B4k
    • dG The Peach Batch 1
    • Floodland Transmigration of Light

Slack, Hopelessly0 and bret27 like this.
  28. AlexIrigoyen

AlexIrigoyen (297) Jun 3, 2016 Georgia
    Trader

You’ve got some great stuff on that list. Is there spomething specific you’re hoping to trade for? Even something as general as “big stouts” “rare lambic” or bourbon. Might give people a better idea of how to help.

Happy New Year to you too, btw! Hope you’ve got a nice bottle that’s not on there to ring in 2021

HopBroker likes this.
  29. HopBroker

HopBroker (0) Jun 5, 2015 Washington
    Trader

Thanks so much, Alex! I was debating on whether I should put my ISO's in here. Yes, I am looking for a couple things - multiple LPF's, Blåbær, big stouts (can't get too much more specific than that at the moment), and large format bottles such as Russian River 3 litres, Floodland magnums, Casey magnums or higher, etc etc. Would also be interested in trading for a one off Cantillon/3F or something more crazy like that. I also have a Hair of the Dog Dave to work with, but debating saving that as an "entry ticket" into a crazy share or something.

Yes! Cheers to hoping 2021 is better than 2020 for everybody. I think I'll open a different Floodland or a Rusty Nail for New Years :slight_smile:

30. Thirst_trappist

Trader

How far off is rock hill farms bourbon from the current batch of BBT in vru?

I'm on the RHF side

Thanks in advance

odcardinal and Affinity like this.
  31. dlydilly

dlydilly (0) Dec 6, 2017 California
    Trader

Can I get some feedback about a possible trade? Is this a fair trade? Thanks!

Schramm's Black Agnes B4
    2017 BCBS Reserve
    2015 Rare
    Prop 17

For:
    Fundamental Forces
    Number Crunch
    Space trace 2018
    Jam the Radar 18
    FO 2018.

32. Stevedore

Stevedore (925) Nov 16, 2012 Oregon
    Society Trader

I was scrolling through the Top 250 and saw Apple Brandy BA Hunahpu's is back on the list. Does anyone know what the newest release is going for nowadays?

33. Yabu

Yabu (451) Feb 4, 2015 California
    Trader

Any idea how to value crowers from Modern Times Monster Tones '19 or MP Coconut Smores . filled this month - looking for brown water.

Is something like this reasonable ? MP Coconut Smores for Blanton’s and EHT small batch. and a little bit higher with the monster tones?

I figure it's reasonable since I made this trade recently with a friend.

Any thoughts or criticism, is okay. haha.

34. putonyourwalkingshoes

putonyourwalkingshoes (0) Jul 31, 2013 California
    Trader

Sounds very reasonable. I'm assuming those were Theory exclusive too prob pretty expensive.

35. Yabu

Trader

Yes, exclusive theory 1pp. Yeah, 45+.

Thanks

putonyourwalkingshoes likes this.
  36. bootdown21

bootdown21 (370) May 14, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

Recently closed this for reference. Basically $4$

Hill:
    BA What is Enightment

Treehouse:
    Tree of Life
    Eternity
    Permanence
    The Universe is Indifferent
    Cans of mixed hops to make up the $$

For:

modem tones vanilla (32 crowler)
    wizard blend coffee vanilla (32 crowler)
    Infinite verbosity bourbon vanilla

Stevedore likes this.
  37. Yabu

Trader

cool. yeah, modem tones vanilla & wizard blend coffee vanilla were easy to get.

whole different story with monster tones & MP coconut smores.

bootdown21 likes this.
  38. carlso_aw

carlso_aw (0) Jan 10, 2016 Indiana
    Trader

I'm just starting to graduate to bourbon after having been in the beer world for several years. I'm currently culturing my bourbon pallet, and getting a pretty good idea of what I like.

I ended up with a 2020 ORVW at retail through almost blind luck, however I've also been lucky enough to try Lot B, and found it 'just ok'. I'm thinking of trading the ORVW for a quantity of 'lesser' bottles.

Right now, my thinking is a 3:1 type deal, including the following bottles:
    - M10 Rye (Michters Rye is my current go-to daily drinker, I'd love to see what some age does to it)
    - MWND (My buddy talks this up non-stop, I'd love to try it as it sounds up my alley)
    -? Something else? Michters toasted barrel? Single barrel Blantons? What are some other things that may fill this gap?

I assume ORVW probably wouldn't go 1:1 with any of the BTAC, correct?

39. Stevedore

Stevedore (925) Nov 16, 2012 Oregon
    Society Trader

If you didn't love Lot B, you probably may not love wheated bourbons, so would pass on the Weller line. That said, ORVW would probably go 1:1 or close with THH and GTS, you might have to add a little.

carlso_aw likes this.
  40. sjguglielmo

sjguglielmo (386) Aug 26, 2009 Minnesota
    Trader

@carlso_aw I agree w/ @Stevedore that ORVW should be 1:1 with THH or GTS. As for a 3:1 deal, you could likely get M10 rye + MWND (which indeed is delicious!) + (Michter's toasted rye or M10 bourbon or ETL or RHF or EC18)

nmoe and carlso_aw like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.