Trade Value Thread (Q4 2021)

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by Slack, Oct 17, 2021.

1. eawolff99

eawolff99 Meyvn (1,198) May 10, 2010 Minnesota
    Trader

I’m looking to land a big bottle, ideally OWK (maybe MJK, rarer Derivation / other SP stouts, Ann, SR-71). What combo of the below do I need to put up?

BBTb5
    Assassin ‘21 / ‘19
    Handjee / CTM ‘21
    King of Darkness (+ all of the other Anchorage stouts)
    Mornin’ Delight
    VSOJ
    Benthics

Extras FT:
    Rusty Nail vert / 5k
    Gratitude + BA Gratitude
    Supermassive Cafe Deth, Cafe Deth, Deth’s Tar

Any feedback welcome - just trying to lock down some big bottles I’ve been hunting for a while.

2. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Disciple (336) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Trader

Bourbon seems to help with that

eawolff99 and Bhubbard34 like this.
  3. Jinx989

Jinx989 Defender (610) Apr 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

Actually 2017 Knob Creek was the first release of the Reserve series.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  4. Bhubbard34

Bhubbard34 Aspirant (242) Mar 4, 2016 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I don’t think Ann or OWK are moving without a HUGE anchor….most likely a bourbon anchor like pappy or antique collection…or maybe super rare Cantillon

5. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Crusader (738) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

Personally, I think anyone that accepts anything less than a big bourbon bottle for OWK is a fool. You can exchange bourbon much easier for anything you want. It’s far and away the best thing for arguably the most valuable beer.

spersichilli and Bhubbard34 like this.
  6. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Disciple (336) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Trader

Bump

7. Affinity

Affinity Initiate (143) Nov 24, 2018 Missouri
    Trader

For discussion's sake, I don't even think OWK is the most valuable beer from Side Project, let alone most valuable beer out there. D2 is much harder to find and probably higher, although if someone threw up a FT: OWK ISO: D2 it would probably close 1:1. D2 is a ghost whale with very few left in the wild. Anabasis b1 is also creeping up to OWK territory, but not there yet.

I bet of the top 10 most valuable beers, only 1 is a stout, OG Vanilla Bean Assassin. The rest are probably one-off lambics; Don Q, Spuyten, Soleil, etc. Then you have random beers like OG Cable Car Kriek. There's probably a level of beers closer to OWK that don't make the list either like Chez Monus, vintage Southhampton, vintage Hill Farmstead.

Don't get me wrong, a bottle of OWK is probably unobtainable for the majority of us who call this a hobby. But, there is a whole other stratosphere of beers and people out there who are willing to pay crazy sums for an opportunity to try them.

8. Beer_Economicus

Trader

No doubt there is a tier of beers that are out of this world, including OWK and DQ. Pre Covid, I remember seeing OWK outpacing DQ at about 2.5:1. Pretty sure there was a OWK that topped 3k. Covid has changed things. Are there others people have seen approach this?

spersichilli likes this.
  9. TheNinthLetter

TheNinthLetter Initiate (139) Apr 16, 2017 New York
    Trader

Sorry in advance as I think this will take some back and forth, but I have some biggish bottles available to trade now and am hoping to package a bunch for a 1 or 2 bigger bottles.

Here are my iso’s:

DB Pastry Method
    DB Assassin
    BA Distractions Grasp
    Samuel B2
    Derivation 12, 15
    Kbbs
    RBBT

Do I have big enough anchors on my below for trade list to snag any one of those i want? If not can you let me know which ones are very unlikely? Or maybe what sort of package i can offer to have the best chance? I dont mind overpaying slightly to close quicker.

FT:
    BBT 20
    Handjee 17
    DB Whale Rider
    Eunoia b4
    BA LADS B2
    VSOJ
    Deprecophobia
    Tenzing Norgay
    Pepper
    Starry Noche 21
    Permanent Homes 21
    Quad Scoop
    BA Graceland
    DB VSOD
    Honey Hawk Strawberry

Also, if anyone has the time and really feels like helping me out a huuuge amount, could you help re-sort my iso list in order from most “expensive” to least so i at least know what i am working towards?

thanks so much. I know i asked a lot but I really am trying to make a couple more big trades before i take an extended break from buying/trading with baby #2 being born earlier this week. any and all help is much much appreciated.

Cheers!

#89 TheNinthLetter, Nov 21, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    eawolff99 likes this.
  10. William_Navidson

William_Navidson Aspirant (278) May 1, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Isn’t DQ closer to like 8k? I know it went for 10k, but I believe that was a little bit of an outlier.

edit: I’m sorry, would my comment be clearer if we discuss value in terms of 40VRU or 50VRU lol?

jrc1093, bret27, 12ArmedGoon and 2 others like this.
  11. Beer_Economicus

Trader

I haven’t checked values on DQ in almost 3 years (can you believe we are almost 2 years into COvId?). So, that may be so. I just recall the last time I checked was before bourbon started getting crazy. This was back when GTS could consistently be found for 450ish. So, mid 2018 - mid 2019?

12. William_Navidson

William_Navidson Aspirant (278) May 1, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Trader

If anything, it’s gone down to like 6-8k from then when it used to be 10k.

Disclaimer: I don’t have personal knowledge of the value of these bottles because I am not that elite lol.

13. spersichilli

spersichilli Aspirant (270) Apr 26, 2018 California
    Trader

Unfortunately you're not in the same stratosphere as OWK. BBT5+Ass21+Ass19+Handjee together might get you something nice. in the SR71/Derivation/MJK range. Ann is closer to OWk than it is to those.

eawolff99 likes this.
  14. spersichilli

Trader

your ISO's have pretty different values. D12 isn't going to happen. I've seen BBT close KBBS 1:1. DB PM is close to KBBS in value. D15 and DB assassin are comparable in value, you might need BBT + Handjee + BA LADS (still might not be enough). RBBT should be BBT + Handjee or LADS, you might be able to get a small plus on their side. Samuel is a little bit more valuable than KBBS and probably equal with BA DG. Hope this is helpful, with your combo of beers you should be able to get something.

Value wise your FTs in order are: BBT >> Handjee > BA LADS > Eunoia 4 >> Whale Ride > Tenzig = Pepper. The rest might have a little value but those are the ones you have with significant value

15. TheNinthLetter

Trader

Thank you thank you thank you. This really helps.

So if DB Assassin or D15 were my main wants you think my best bet would be to offer BBT + Handjee + BA LADS + choice of Eunoia or DB Whale Rider?

16. Hopelessly0

Hopelessly0 Disciple (302) May 13, 2019 California
    Trader

Honestly I feel like I've only seen DB Assassin move for cash recently, not many people trading it unless it's for bourbon. Value-wise you probably are spot-on with that trade, maybe even going a bit over, but you'd probably have better luck selling those bottles then buying it on secondary. Can always put out feelers, but good luck man.

17. TheNinthLetter

Trader

Thanks. That is my fear, that most of the ones im looking for will mostly be trading for bourbon or cash or on facebook which i dont have lol. At least you guys are confirming i do have a fair offer which makes me feel better, although it still may be difficult to close.

18. TheNinthLetter

Trader

Ok so i closed on d15. Thanks everyone for the help. New question. Is BA LADS B2 a big enough anchor to snag any of these (With some pluses like the tenzing norgay, pepper, etc from my list above) ?

BA Distractions Grasp
    KBBS
    DB Pastry Method
    Chemtrailmix 17, 18, 21
    SP bubble wrap
    Assassin 21

19. spersichilli

Trader

older chemtrail should be 1:1, newer needs to add on their side. Same with Bubble wrap/Assassin 21, they should be giving you a plus. You might be able to get KBBS or DB PM with a plus but it'll be tougher

20. TheNinthLetter

Trader

oh wow. Does this batch of life after death star really have that high of a value? i didn’t realize. or are you saying ba lads plus the tenzing and the pepper all together is worth those bottles?

21. Hopelessly0

Trader

It's weird cause I haven't seen too many move, but seems to move at around 250 right now. But I also saw someone offer one for West Ashley Cuvee, which is like 150. Personally think it'll probably drop a lot, it's not rating as well on Untappd right now so if you want to trade it, I'd do so now. Could probably land Bubble Wrap, ChemTrailMix, and Assassin '21, 1:1 or close to it. Don't think you'd be able to land the other 3 unless you have a larger anchor or go 2:1.

spersichilli and TheNinthLetter like this.
  22. TheNinthLetter

Trader

Thanks. Im contemplating waiting until the distraction’s harlequin gets into the am solera member hands but if its 1pp member only i have a feeling i wont have enough to close it anyway so i might try to close on something now.

Qq. Where do perrenial 10th and quiet the crowds fall in secondary?

23. Hopelessly0

Trader

Like 180 for 10th Anny and 230 for Quiet the Crowd. Not sure where Distraction's Harlequin is gonna land, but I'm a member and have seen quite a lot of members giving it up in the FB group since they weren't into strawberries in beer.

TheNinthLetter likes this.
  24. TheNinthLetter

Trader

Thanks!

Oh really? Thats good to know. What about you? You like strawberry stouts? Hahah.

25. TWStandley

TWStandley Crusader (705) Jan 15, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

Looking to land some Saisons/Sours from breweries such as Side Project, SARA, HF and Fonta Flora. Have a 1988 Thomas Hardy to trade - what is a realistic ratio for "shelf" or semi-limited saisons/sours.

26. TheNinthLetter

Trader

Any values yet on the bcbs blantons, 150, or db toasted?

27. spersichilli

Trader

WA has been selling for 250ish, trades have just been lower for some reason

28. spersichilli

Trader

Only good strawberry stout I've had was More Rare Scoop from Cycle, shit was awesome (I'm assuming the OG rare scoop was dope too)

29. MattOC

MattOC Zealot (531) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Where is TG Toppling Waters relative to each: Westly ‘21, A Thousand Summers ‘21, and West Ashley Cuvée?

Always wanted to try Summers, had the Westly ‘15 back in ‘15 and would love to revisit, cuvée likely riding the highest right now(?).

Plus from my side would be something like Trillium BA Affogato ‘21, Port Damon.

Thanks!

30. Hopelessly0

Trader

Probably 1:1 with A Thousand Summers, 1+:1 for Westly with a small plus on your side, and 2:1 for West Ashley Cuvee, although West Ashley Cuvee seems everywhere right now. If you're local/IP, I could see it closing 1:1, I've seen it close for similar.

Personally think Westly was the best of the bunch, best batch of Westly I've had too. West Ashley Cuvee was good, but less fruit than Westly and a bit too acidic. Don't really understand the hype or why it's so highly rated.

Beer_Economicus and MattOC like this.
  31. MattOC

MattOC Zealot (531) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Thank you. Appreciate the insight as well. That’s my preferred order of things. When I had Westly back in ‘15 I was blown away.

32. TheNinthLetter

Trader

also curious about hormesis from todays 8th state release. I got a bottle but not always in love with chiles in stouts.

33. KBS

KBS Disciple (314) Apr 25, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Term Oil Coconut Cookie Monster for BC Blantons seems a little lite on the Term Oil Side. I could add a Central Waters Double barrel or a DBVSOD but that seems like a little over. Thoughts?

should it be the Term Oil with a small plus?

34. BlackToothGrin

BlackToothGrin Initiate (76) Dec 15, 2015 Florida
    Trader

Is BAIGCCS for KBBS a reasonable trade?

35. AlexIrigoyen

AlexIrigoyen Initiate (77) Jun 3, 2016 Georgia
    Trader

Is DB Assassin for Derivation 15 about a 1:1 or would one side have to add something

36. Hopelessly0

Trader

Nope, about halfway there, would need 2x BAIGCCS and maybe a little more.

Right now it's pretty close to 1:1, but DB Assassin keeps rising, so may need a + on the D15 side in the future