News Trade your "bad" beer for a "craft" beer?

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by BeerGlassesCollector, Sep 16, 2018 at 1:18 PM.

1. BeerGlassesCollector

BeerGlassesCollector Zealot (501) Nov 11, 2002 Cyprus
    Trader

2. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,541) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

While the article doesn't make it clear, my first reaction guess is that this offer is only good in the UK.

Edit:

Double checking their website it turns out it's all their UK and European bars where you can make the trade :

• The initiative to get drinkers to upgrade their lagers will be available in all BrewDog’s UK bars, as well as its Berlin and Brussels bars in mainland Europe.

Premo88 likes this.
  3. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,000) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium

Interesting idea, but the Joe Beer I see at the local convenience store buying a six or twelve of Bud on the way home from work every day or two will never know about this noble effort. Perhaps if it catches on and demand drives volume up and prices down, they'll get the attention of Joe Beer. Part of the challenge will be that the bazillion BMC drinkers don't think anything is broken, so why look for a fix? They're already drinking the best beer in the world as evidenced by market dominance. Tough nut to crack, but godspeed, or in the case of BMC, gods peed. :wink:

4. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (235) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

'Bad' beer is not the way you want to describe the beer that others love who you're trying to convert

"Stop drinking crap beer. Instead drink our stuff that is twice as expensive and has the same ABV".

Trading in a 75 Cent can for a $1.30 can to try to convert people is a solid start. But you can't go about offending your potential consumer base.

Style wise, some people just do not like hops or perceived bitterness. There are many craft Euro lagers out there that get really close to macro flavors but obviously have a bit more flavor. Helles lagers come to mind. A dry hopped pilsner sounds like a terrible conversion beer. Solid gold by founders would be your baseline start. But that's just me.

5. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,949) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

If you want to convert someone it's a mistake to start off by telling them they're wrong. You're drinking swill and don't know it is rather like calling some an ignorant peasant. "Better Beer" instead of "Bad Beer" would be more palatable.

Lahey, cavedave, AlcahueteJ and 5 others like this.
  6. eppCOS

eppCOS Defender (674) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Premium

oooh... I would gladly trade in my BrewDog shelf turds for some genuine craft beer.
    Oh wait....

7. Steve_Studnuts

Steve_Studnuts Aspirant (250) Apr 21, 2015 Pennsylvania

I want to legally change my name to Joe Beer.

8. Squire

Premium Trader

You might could but I believe Joe Sixpack is taken.

cavedave, FBarber and Premo88 like this.
  9. Ranbot

Ranbot Zealot (531) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

I'm generally not a fan of Brew Dog, but I have to give them credit for always finding creative ways to market themselves and this beer swap campaign feels more authentic/honest than many of their past stunts.

Premo88 and drtth like this.
  10. drtth

Agreed, BrewDog is not at the top of my list either and they are a brewery some just love to hate. Nonetheless they have been quite successful at both marketing themselves and at growing their brand, etc.

Ranbot likes this.
  11. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,297) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

Seems like a great PR stunt, companies are always looking for ways to get press.

12. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Crusader (780) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

I thought the same thing. "Why would I trade in Brewdog beer for MORE Brewdog beer?"

13. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (1,641) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

You're an idiot and you drink crap beer.

"Craft beer gets a bad rap for being snobbish and pretentious."

14. tzieser

tzieser Savant (956) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Not exactly Joe Beer but close enough.....

[​IMG]
    RIP

(they eventually received a cease and desist from John Deere.....bummer because it was a fine golden ale).

15. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (63) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

For the sake of redundancy?

Premo88 and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  16. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,000) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium

They probably just renamed it, didn't have to stop brewing it...

17. tzieser

tzieser Savant (956) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Just Beer was a small local outfit in MA, kinda surprising they got hit with one (it was a long time ago....2010ish?). Anyway, the brewer tells me he uses the same basic recipe but with wheat added for The Golden Flounder with Buzzards Bay (same company, Just Beer was sort of a short lived brand they did).

bbtkd likes this.
  18. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Champion (800) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

I've always liked, "Pete Coors".

It sounds made up, doesn't it?

19. AlcahueteJ

I wonder what they would trade me if I brought them a dead squirrel?

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  20. Ranbot

Oldschool... for many here that joke is going fall flatter than a vintage bottle of Angel's Share. :wink:

21. AlcahueteJ

Holy crap, that was 8 years ago!?

They could probably do a DDH "End of History" so the kids will buy it today.

EvenMoreJesus and Ranbot like this.
  22. AlcahueteJ

Oh, and I assume vintage Angel's Share was infected?

23. Ranbot

I can't find the links now other than THIS, but it doesn't begin the grasp how these forums blew up over Lost Abbey '09 (I think) Angel's Share (maybe someone else has better Googling abilities). Anyway, here's my memory... it was not infected, but there was an issue during bottling resulting in many bottles having little to no carbonation, which people complained about after paying ~$30-$40 [maybe more or trading] for a 22-oz bottle (it was one of the most expensive beers on on the market at that time). Then brewer Tomme Arthur said somewhat flippantly that the beer wasn't technically bad and that people shouldn't be complaining so much about a little variation [I'm paraphrasing], which was like pouring gasoline on a fire. For several years afterwards people would make jokes/jabs about carbonation whenever Lost Abbey or Tomme Arthur was mentioned.

#23 Ranbot, Sep 18, 2018 at 8:10 PM
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018 at 8:18 PM
  24. Ranbot

If you sort the Lost Abbey Bourbon Barrel Angel's Share and Brandy Barrel Angel Share reviews by lowest first you'll find a lot comments about flat beer and general anger toward Lost Abbey from 2009-11 as the '09 vintage made it's way around.

AlcahueteJ, JackHorzempa and drtth like this.
  25. zid

zid Champion (867) Feb 15, 2010 New York

So, all professionally brewed beer should be accepted then.
    Pretty much every craft brewer has co-opted every style they brew.
    I'll email Schlenkerla to tell them that they don't brew lager like it was or like it should be.
    Yep, that's definitely non-judgy and not snobby. Sure. Good thing it's also an "approachable approach."
    Um.
    That's the universal code for: "We never wanted to make pale lager, but it's trending."

I know I shouldn't have wasted my time with the above, but I wanted to anyway. This is very good marketing in that they're just giving out free beer for a few hours one day, but the media reporting on it goes much further than that. BrewDog needs to employ such tactics to bring attention to a new beer that would otherwise probably get totally lost in a crowded market.

eldoctorador and TongoRad like this.
  26. drtth

Personally I'd say your breakdown and commentary are useful.

What's ironic is that both the author of the article and the BrewDog blog page he's quoting from could actually be some of the folks who gather here on BA. I've lost count of the number of times we've been told that all lagers are just "yellow p**s" or that the difference between Craft Brewers and the BMC folks is that the former are all about passion and quality while all the latter care about is profit. Etc., Etc.

Gives me the erie feeling that someone from BrewDog keeps an eye what gets said on this site....

zid and TongoRad like this.
  27. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,438) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

Not just this site; that's been a major part of the craft beer mythology since its inception.

28. Squire

Premium Trader

I think that mantra is wearing a bit thin.

TongoRad likes this.
  29. zid

zid Champion (867) Feb 15, 2010 New York

Thanks, but it’s too easy to pick apart ballyhoo like that... and doing so just makes me look a little foolish. Frankly, I think people here (myself included) are parrots more than creators of rhetoric. The thing that’s funny is that organizations like Stone and (especially) BrewDog can’t use the common “AB needs to spend millions of dollars on marketing” shtick to separate themselves from big beer, because they utilize their own types of aggressive marketing as well.

Squire likes this.
  30. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (226) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

Hillary got 3 million more votes than her opponent by using the Brewdog tactic.