Trademark Brewing DTLB Grand Opening 7-13-19

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by OTB, Jul 10, 2019.

1. OTB

OTB Devotee (442) Sep 2, 2011 California

In a beautifully restored 1930's era Packard building to boot. Specializing in single hop releases, as well as a supposedly killer Helles Lager and several NEIPAs. Small batch producer. I may drop in.

Cheers,

2. BlazinHazen

BlazinHazen Initiate (69) Feb 12, 2014 California

Woah, I had never even heard of this place but it looks beautiful and their beer offerings sound right up my alley!

OTB likes this.
  3. OTB

Husband & wife team, I recall meeting them at a Long Beach business mixer when they were just starting the process and I thought what a great idea for a location that really needs a little love on that part of Anaheim.

Cheers,

R1c0rtez and BlazinHazen like this.
  4. jamesar

jamesar Initiate (161) Mar 13, 2012 California

Can't wait to check it out. Thanks for the heads up OTB

OTB likes this.
  5. Izzy_Izumi

Izzy_Izumi Initiate (116) Aug 3, 2017 California
    Trader

So, I live literally behind that building. Gonna definitely be in there, and also please check out Long Beach Rising! It's the rock gym next door. :slight_smile:

OTB, their helles was okay when I tried it last weekend. Maybe because it was served in a tulip. Ten Mile's was better. BUT, I thought their small batch saison was excellent though it's not on the board.

And their nitro imperial coffee...porter(?)'s coffee was made by an acquaintance, dasgud coffee.

6. dcgunman

dcgunman Crusader (799) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Trader

By all means Bud, drop in and let us know how the beers are. Looks like soft opening is going on now. And a cool looking building.

OTB likes this.
  7. OTB

This is so exciting for us LB folks to hopefully add yet another great brewery in another part of town that could greatly benefit by it's presence, a successful new anchor tenant like Trademark could lead to a much needed gentrification of that stretch of Anaheim St that could eventually benefit local retail and residential markets, as a guy that makes a good chunk of my living helping design and re-purpose buildings like this magnificent 1930's Packard Automotive building makes me very happy. I plan on dropping in and tasting their beers. I'll definitely let you know my takes. Hey, still planning on a little Cantillon thingy at The Blendary ?

Cheers buddy,

#7 OTB, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    dcgunman likes this.
  8. dcgunman

Trader

Sounds good Bud. I wont be able to make the new place for a couple of weeks. Next couple of weekends I'm tied up. Depending on their hours, maybe on a Friday or Monday. Same on the Cantillon thing at the Blendery. The last month and half I've been busy on my 4 day weekends travelling. But now that summer has hit I wont be flying much because its too busy. One of these Friday's in July or August the Blendery sounds good. I need to get a hold of Harrison first.

OTB and UnknownKoger like this.
  9. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (544) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Trader

you even lift bro?

KevSal and Izzy_Izumi like this.
  10. Izzy_Izumi

Trader

A pint. To my face. Does that count?

11. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (544) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Trader

yes

12. dcgunman

Trader

16oz independent curls.

NicIsAwesome likes this.
  13. Izzy_Izumi

Trader

I'm here enjoying the BBQ. Beer is better than I remember. The Koslch goes well with wagyu brisket.

OTB likes this.
  14. OTB

Awesome, I’m on my way, should be there around 3 ! Say Hi !

Cheers

15. Izzy_Izumi

Trader

I'm by the front door. Actually right next to it. Cheers!

OTB likes this.
  16. OTB

[​IMG]

We arrived around 3pm to a loud electric atmosphere. Found plenty of parking in the rear of the property. Cleared "security " and walked through the inner courtyard where there was plenty of good food options as well as a tent serving beer. We headed into the large brewery hall and took some time checking everything out while waiting for our friends to arrive, they have done an amazing job with the property. Grabbed a couple table's up front near the large windows off Anaheim St. and got in line to order our first round. My wife had a On Center Helles Lager that was really well made, I started with a Late To The Party Hazy IPA, which is really a true unfiltered west coast IPA that was very good. Our friends ordered the Batch One Farmhouse Ale that they all said was really solid. When we ordered another round I opted for the Hula Moon Tropical IPA that was totally forgettable, I think they used way to much Sabro hops as It had a suntan lotion oily mouth feel and flavor profile, the only cluncker in the bunch. Since we were having everyone back to our house for dinner we didn't sample the great looking food but what I saw and smelled look great. My first impression is of a place that is committed to delivering a Hofbrau house environment with well made beers, plenty of space and diversions and noise to while away a Saturday afternoon. It's going to be fun to watch them settle in and define their brand, it's a unique and welcome addition the Long Beach beer scene.

Cheers,

KevSal, HopHead89, jamesar and 2 others like this.
  17. OTB

[​IMG]

Trademark is cavernous.

Cheers,

Izzy_Izumi likes this.
  18. dcgunman

Trader

Nice write up Bud. I’m looking forward to a visit there soon. How many beers were on tap? Looks like lots of room inside.

19. dcgunman

Trader

Checking out google maps you have a nice run from Trademark to 10 Mile Brewing. From 10 Mile you then hop over to Smog Trailer Park. Ambitious Ales is up the street from Smog. After Smog it’s time for dinner over at the new LBX the Hanger. Lots of good choices for food. And if your still thirsty you have many choices at Bottlecraft. I’ll throw one more brewery in the mix. LBBC. I didn’t include Beachwood BBQ or the Blendery because all of us has been there and knows they are one the the must visits. But for the little known or less known brewery’s this is a good start. And no Smog is not one of the lesser known brewery’s. Smog is well known in our independent community.
    By the way I haven’t been to 2 of the brewery’s mentioned. 3 if you don’t count a brief encounter at 10 Mile’s Bellflower Trailer Park. And I really didn’t care for what 10 Mile had to offer at their Trailer Park location.

20. Todd

Todd Founder (5,582) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew

Swung by after the MOLAA Beer Fest and got a quick tour from Sterling. Most impressive. Place was packed. Tons of space inside and out with plenty of room to grow, exposed brewhouse, solid brews, food vendors, games, and a mini-bar outside, with a unique vibe in an old manufacturing building/dealership. I definitely need to swing by again for a longer visit.

Massive cold box, too. Sounds like they'll be doing some self-distribution.

jamesar, OTB, R1c0rtez and 1 other person like this.
  21. Izzy_Izumi

Trader

I see my girlfriend in the pic, and me right out of frame almost.

I hope they do get new glasses though, tulips are pretty and all, but I still didn't enjoy the Helles at first just because of some sort of astringency or sourdough-y overload at the head. I did see they were also playing with other glasses behind the bar, as I saw a shaker pint with their logo on it, I think.

Highlight of the day was super easily Bartz Wagyu Brisket though, paired with their Koslch.

22. dcgunman

Trader

I decided to do a short 2 pub crawl yesterday and Trademark was my 1st stop. After reading Bud’s review on its grand opening party I got the brewery bug. I IG messaged them on any food vendors going to be there. No response. We got there just after 12. No food vendor or trucks outside. First bad sign. Oh well I went there for their ipa’s anyways. The front outside (on Anaheim Street) of the building is beautiful. Turning the corner to the backside for parking was the opposite. Inside wasn’t what I expected from Buds photos. It was better. More open environment. Plenty of natural lighting and from the light fixtures inside. I wasn’t expecting all the barrels. These guys are definitely set up for some BA offerings in the future. And looks like for distribution too. Reminded me of Gorden Road LA when they first opened up. Minus all the barrels. Or a mini sized Brouwerji West. So with no food to be had I opted for a flight of their ipa’s. Late To The Party was my favorite. Had just enough juice flavor over the other 3. Superdisc was too lite for my palate. It was their session ipa (4.3%). Pacific Vision a typical west coast on the bitter malty side. Hula Moon (tropical ipa) was weird. I got a perfume like aroma and taste. By the way if your looking for food there is a small Mexican joint down Anaheim (westbound) past stop light. Good street tacos. Overall a nice spacious place.
    So after a flight and street tacos we moved on to another first time place Ambitious Ales. Smaller tasting room. Pretty much empty when we arrived there after 130pm. Had another flight of 4 of their IPA’s on tap. All 4 were slightly better to more better than Trademark. I believe these guys have been open 4-6 months now. Inside atmosphere was less than inviting for me. Dull. Unidos was my favorite of the 4. I almost got a crowler to go. Too many cans in my fridge already. Overall I had a good time at both places.

R1c0rtez, KevSal, OTB and 2 others like this.