Trading for a BVDL?

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by HookemHoos, Jan 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HookemHoos

HookemHoos Sep 20, 2013 Virginia

I'm considering trying to trade for a BVDL and am looking for help/input on what a fair, but solid offer is. I think I'd like to do it one of three ways:
    1) Listing all my beers and just having someone BM me if interested (least preferred option to use, but by far the easiest)
    2) Coming up with a points system for it
    3) Setting up a few lists (A,B,C) and sayings choose 1 from list A, 2 from B, etc.

Bottles that I have that I think might be of interest to someone with a BVDL:
    - Cali Brandy Huna
    - Flora Blueberry
    - Assassin
    - Le Sarrasin
    - Life is Like
    - Prop
    - Vanilla Rye
    - BA Everett (& regular Everett)
    - MC#1
    - 4 Roses Mexican Cake
    - Double Barrel Mexican Cake
    - Tequila Barrel Mexican Cake
    - Loons ('10 LPG, '10 Kriek, '14 Iris, '14 CsG)
    - Chocolate Rain, Grey Monday, Black Tuesday, Rum Black Tuesday
    - FFaC
    - Beatification
    - R&D Wild Peach
    - Abraxas
    - Aurelian Lure, O&P, Nocturn Chrysalis
    - Quantity of BCBCS
    - Quantity of Anna, Nordic Saison, Brother Soigne, Edith

Any input/ideas is greatly appreciated either in this thread or via BM. Thanks!

atrocity likes this.
  2. mgr78704

mgr78704 Oct 28, 2013 Texas

It took me a DB Huna, a DB Cake and a '14 Fou to get mine about a month ago...but based on the fact I only got one response that ended up closing I can't say that that's what it would take now or if I just caught the right set of eyes FWIW.

3. mgr78704

I like the idea of a points system or a pick X from Y list and so on type format. I personally hate posts where people just list all of their beers without a ratio, but I don't like the back and forth negotiating of that format.

4. mythaeus

mythaeus Jul 22, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Option 3 always work best for landing bigger beers. Listing all your beers is a turn off because people will want "more" for the BVDL, but don't want to appear greedy and ask for a bunch of them. Using points don't usually turn out well because there will always be inconsistencies between you and potential traders' valuation of each beer (and also be prepared for heavy criticism from the the public).

You have great ammo to get it done, but I wonder if it'd be wiser to wait for this year's release and trade then. Good luck either way.

mgr78704 likes this.
  5. Pecan

Pecan Dec 20, 2012 Arizona

I'd say setting up a point system would be most enticing. If you find someone with a BVDL and they are interested in what you have, then a flexible system for their wants is most likely to get a response.

6. HookemHoos

HookemHoos Sep 20, 2013 Virginia

Yeah that was another thought I had. Maybe trying to wait until after DLD this year when there might be an influx of supply.

7. mythaeus

Trader

Having had nearly every beer you listed (and loving most of them) and BVDL, I think you should open up the option to share 3-4 of your beers with someone with a BVDL if your intention is to try the beer. Hell, do that share with a 3rd person who can bring 3-4 similarly valued beers, you'd be much more enriched by the experience and won't feel so bad if BVDL turned out to be a disappointment.

8. Chris_H_2

Chris_H_2 Jan 3, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

OP, you got some great beers there. If you're not able to land a BVDL, it won't be because of the quality of your beers.

9. LehighAce06

LehighAce06 Jul 31, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Best post of the thread. Maybe I'm weird for intending to drink everything I trade for, but I have to imagine OPs list of ammo didn't all come from his own shop/lines he stood in himself, which means at one point you wanted that bottle enough to seek it out.

I also really like the social aspect of bottle shares, above getting to try more beers you get to meet and connect with people, and also have someone to discuss your impressions with, get their take on what they're tasting, etc.

Good luck either way!

Marco_Gtz, mythaeus and WI-Beer-Man like this.
  10. mgr78704

Bottle shares are ideal, but sometimes you have to be the guy in your group that goes out and gets this one. Another idea would be to go in on the trade with a couple of other people in your trading group so everyone contributes. That way your cellar doesn't take such a hit.

mlhyatt and mythaeus like this.
  11. Psychmusic

Psychmusic Jun 22, 2012 Massachusetts
    Society

The trade value of Ann has been all over the place (and I'm really not sure what's closed and what hasn't), but any thoughts on whether Ann for BVDL would be a fair trade, or which side should add?

12. Rish907

Rish907 Jun 14, 2013 California

I traded for a vertical 12-14 + an extra 14 a couple months ago. I would say any 3-4 of the top 15 listed minus the Bruery beers.

13. Rotero24

Rotero24 Aug 6, 2013 California

Tough to say fair but I recently closed a deal for Ann (cost me BVDL '14 + Hommage)...

14. mythaeus

Trader

Yup, I definitely agree that sometimes YOU have to be THE ONE. However, I think there is a reasonable chance that you will come across someone who got it at DLD at cost or didn't trade his cellar for one or did, but didn't want to open it for just himself and would be ecstatic to try 3 or 4 beers the OP could offer up at a share. The chance will significantly increases right after the next release. My sense is that people in possession of these "big" beers are less inclined to be drinking the whole thing by himself.

mgr78704 likes this.
  15. FrenchyRaoul

FrenchyRaoul Dec 5, 2014 Vermont

The BVDL trade would have to add quite a bit. My Ann went for probably about 1.75 KBBS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.