1. Looking to trade some beers? Check out How to Get Started with Beer Trading.
Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Trading Societe growlers

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk' started by JayORear, Jun 28, 2013.

1. JayORear

JayORear Feb 22, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

I'm going to be attending Societe's anniversary party in a couple of weeks, and am thinking of picking up one or more growlers of The Pupil for trade.

Societe's growlers are $25 (stainless steel), and $15+ to fill. I've been the first one to argue that gas/time/etc. shouldn't be factored into trades. However, is it cool (or not) to ask someone to send that $25 growler back to me?

2. MssrTussaud

MssrTussaud Apr 17, 2013 California

Why wouldn't the cost of the growler be factored into the trade? If they're keeping it, make them pay for it. Or have them fill it and send it back as their end of the trade.

jrnyc likes this.
  3. JayORear

Beer Trader

I'm only asking because most empty growlers (at least that I've bought) don't cost $25. I wouldn't even think about it on a glass growler. Good idea on asking them to fill it.

4. bramsdell

bramsdell May 27, 2011 North Carolina

$25 for a growler? That's fucking robbery. You can only fill a brewery's branded growler, right?

Never had Societe, but seriously? Make sure your trade partner knows of such bullshittery.

Retail1LO likes this.
  5. JayORear

Beer Trader

In California, the regulations are changing . . . breweries are supposed to fill non-branded growlers, but the state is allowing them to do so at their own pace. Alpine still won't fill other growlers, for example.

6. ncaudle

ncaudle May 28, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

supposed to or being allowed to? 2 completely different things...

7. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Apr 5, 2011 Ohio

This Societe growler was on my porch today.

[​IMG]

FYI, it was sent by an awesome BA, but I think it's worth noting that despite it being indestructible stainless-steel, and a pretty solid looking swing top with rubber grommit (which was taped very well to seal also) the "perfect" growler for shipping would still probably be a screw-top (I think a large thread-type with rubber seal would be great.... almost like a Nalgene bottle or whatever those are called)

Either way... aside from that, Societe offers glass growlers at MUCH LESS of a cost. And since you usually include the price of the growler itself, why not offer to send them the glass one???

When I have a lot of spare growlers around, I just trade $4$ for the cost of the fill... and even when I can't do that, I can get a plain brown screw-top growler filled in our fair-state of Ohio anywhere, and the glass is only $2

This Stainless growler is freakin' sweet though.

8. JayORear

Beer Trader

According to a photo on their site, both stainless and glass growlers are $25.

9. trenchtown4

trenchtown4 Apr 13, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I was there a few weeks ago for a wedding and grabbed a stainless growler of the pupil...both glass and stainless growlers are $25, the cost to fill is determined by ABV, anything over 7% is $17, which includes the pupil. I actual did the double box method with the growler, same as I would to ship a trade, and checked it on the plane, opened it up a week later and it was perfect...just wish I had more.

10. usofar

usofar Dec 23, 2010 California

Yeah both glass and stainless steel are $25. There is no cheap growler from there. That said I have one and fill it at least once a month. Their beer is great!

claaark13 and domtronzero like this.
  11. claaark13

claaark13 Nov 29, 2007 Indiana
    Beer Trader

FWIW, FFF growler fills are also a bitch to deal with. They're like $30 with beer because you have to buy new glass every time you fill a growler, and their glass is just a screw-top standard growler. Probably because they're metal as fuck. At least they'll refill at Societe, and the growler is as good as they get.

As far as deals go, the $3 75cl at HF is the best deal. Next to that (from what I've seen) is the $5 32oz glass at Sun King.

Bitch as much as you want to bitch, but Societe has good beer and at least they force you to keep it in a nice growler. Other breweries who care about their quality should take notes instead of continuing to fill with screw tops. Bruery took note, but then backed out last year and gave everyone Grey Monday instead (I'm not complaining, just making a point).

In the end, any form of a quality swing-top makes me happy.

usofar likes this.
  12. Retail1LO

Retail1LO May 4, 2011 Pennsylvania

I wish 75cl growlers were the standard. I really do. It's the perfect size for a person to take down on their own, they fit perfectly in both styro and pulp shippers, I've never had leakage issues with them, and like you said, at $3 they're a fantastic deal. I have a ton of them, and I'd use them all the time if places around here would let me.

13. claaark13

Beer Trader

I'm an alcoholic. I want all of my HF hops to come in 2L, mandatory.

Word.

I feel like I'm walking into the place with balls on my chin like Butters when I try to get those filled. No one likes working with the 75cl.

14. Retail1LO

Retail1LO May 4, 2011 Pennsylvania

The 32 oz swingtops dont have any wider an opening...but I can imagine they're a pain to deal with in general.

15. claaark13

Beer Trader

Pricing it all out is the issue, not the opening.

16. JayORear

Beer Trader

Yes, but also FWIW, at least you can buy bottles of many/most FFF beers. Societe doesn't bottle, so to drink off-site you *have* to buy the $25 growler.

17. claaark13

Beer Trader

Accurate.....at least to date.

18. usofar

usofar Dec 23, 2010 California

Right, but if they were pricing themselves out of the market they would change. At this point they can't even keep up with demand so I don't think we'll see a change anytime soon. Love it or hate it, it's the way it is.

19. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I loved the pupil but couldn't believe the growler prices when I traded for one. I'm also not a fan of those enormous steampunk looking glass growlers with the metal handles.

Aren't FFF growler prices similar and they just have normal growlers? I think I remember paying close to $25 for Zombie Dust before it was bottled.

20. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Apr 5, 2011 Ohio

That was with the beer though correct? Big problem with Societe (to some I guess) is the fact that it's $25 for the growler, + $17 for the fill, so trading $4$ you have to send $42 worth of beer for amounts to just under a 6-pack.

That said, the growlers are cool, but certainly for people who don't live somewhere that they can re-use the growler, it makes trying their beers a costly venture.

If Societe weren't in CA, and people could fill cheap $2-$3 glass with their beer, it'd probably be sent out all the time like HF IPAs etc.

21. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Yeah, I wasnt thinking right when I wrote that. Im not sure what I paid but I know it was really high. I guess this promotes more local drinking and less trading.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe