Transient Reserve Society

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by EOTLBrewer, Jun 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mychalg9

mychalg9 Champion (848) Apr 8, 2010 Illinois

I think he will have the party when he's in position to do so, otherwise it's safe to assume he hasn't gotten it worked out yet. No updates doesn't bother me as long as I'm not left out when he finally does announce it.

2. Bbear

Bbear Initiate (168) Oct 26, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Anyone else not happy with the latest batch of Juice is Loose? Was excited to grab a four pack since the last time I had it was around the same time last year. Completely different beer. Two weeks old and super malty with an unappealing buttery finish. Not what I remember this beer being. Maybe a bad batch? Maybe a big change in palate? No idea, but no thank you to any Tranisent IPA for the time being.

3. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (6,560) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

I noticed awhile back that each batch was less & less satisfying to me...I think it's a palate change. People are refining this style across the midwest & I'm not sure Juice is Loose really stacks up anymore.

Just an opinion, obviously.

jaysker95 and Chris_H_2 like this.
  4. whatruDOINdragic

whatruDOINdragic Initiate (182) Aug 22, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I stopped buying JiL several batches ago because of quality inconsistencies and price. But Cromulent, and especially Obligatory except for the most recent poor batch (canned, at least) and Flightless, are so good they outweigh their high prices. Here's to less JiL if it means more of any of the other three.

jaysker95 likes this.
  5. TonyLuvsBeer

TonyLuvsBeer Aspirant (235) Mar 28, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

I’ve had about 5-6 different batches of TJIL and I’ve concluded they are very inconsistent. It got so bad I stopped getting it til my buddy brought a few to this years DLD and they were great.

6. KidGalaga

KidGalaga Initiate (71) Apr 21, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

I had never had it before, so I grabbed 2 packs today. couldn't discern a canning date, but it's pretty dang good. reminds me of snoochie from forbidden root.

i'll happily drink it, but other places are making equal or better beers in that style. not worth the upcharge IMO

GuyFawkes likes this.
  7. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Devotee (463) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Picked up a bottle of Just Passing Through (oak aged golden ale with Montmorency and Michigan Balaton cherries). A great cherry sour that reminded me of Montmorency Vacillate from FOBAB (JPT is 6% as opposed to 5.5%)

jaysker95 likes this.
  8. lloydboss

lloydboss Initiate (0) May 9, 2014 Illinois

Really enjoyed the Vacillate at FOBAB, going to need to pick a bottle up. Did you pick up any of the other new wild / barrel aged saisons that dropped this week?

9. Nbrock24

Trader

I did not (just because JPT 2as $13.99 and Juice is Loose was about $20). I probably will pick up the Raspberry Maigre because I didn't realize I hadn't had it yet. I think I grabbed the last JPT at The Beer Cellar). Let me know if there's something else I should be grabbing!

10. lloydboss

I saw Open Bottle also had Because Life is Supernatural (Oak Fermented Farmhouse Ale collab w/ Blis) & New Wave (Brett IPA) that I was eyeing

Nbrock24 likes this.
  11. lloydboss

I should also add grab Vacillate #6 if you see it in the wild, very good

Nbrock24 likes this.
  12. ColonelHopslam

ColonelHopslam Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2014 Michigan

New batch of JiL is great, Obligatory back to it's old ways as well. Cromulent seems to be the one beer that has never veered from its deliciousness.

13. whatruDOINdragic

whatruDOINdragic Initiate (182) Aug 22, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Now that's what I like to hear. @ColonelHopslam Has a recent batch of Obligatory been canned?

14. prior2two

prior2two Devotee (400) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Nice. Give me hope for flightless, should it return. Last batch was so disappointing, but the previous batches were my favorite represantiom of the style outside of trillium.

15. Jangoon24

Jangoon24 Disciple (353) Jul 25, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I'm a definite fan of the latest JiL batch. It's not the best batch I've had, but it's close. I'll gladly finish this 4-pack, and I'll be looking for more!

16. lloydboss

IL members check your inboxes, news about the party!

prior2two likes this.
  17. ColonelHopslam

ColonelHopslam Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2014 Michigan

yes, canned on 1/12 I believe.

whatruDOINdragic likes this.
  18. Nbrock24

Trader

Do we know when this distributed batch was canned?

19. cetherid

cetherid Devotee (426) Aug 23, 2010 Indiana

I was not a fan of latest batch of juice (from the 4th I believe).....picked it up the weekend it was released. i found it lacking of the bright citrusy hops. Latest batch of mind to devour that was canned yesterday is stellar though.

Nbrock24 likes this.
  20. ClarkstonMark

ClarkstonMark Initiate (103) Feb 21, 2016 Michigan
    Trader

M2D, Cromulent and Obligatory being delivered to SE MI today.
    Just picked some up at 8 Deg while they were being dropped. Good timing :slight_smile:

21. Nbrock24

Trader

So it seems like they’re getting the turnaround time from canning to distro down to under a week? I’ve been struggling to track this without can dates

lloydboss likes this.
  22. Thrillhouse82

Thrillhouse82 Initiate (137) Sep 14, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

Any word on this “link” to pre purchase end of the membership beers yet? Email made it seem like this should be available by now.

23. PhilBallins

PhilBallins Aspirant (253) Nov 29, 2016 Illinois

Anyone try the latest Mind to Devour? How's it tasting?

Nbrock24 likes this.
  24. lloydboss

My best guess is it will be out this weekend, ~1 week prior to the event with 1 week to place your order

25. lloydboss

So the @TransientArtisanAles email went out last night with pre order link & the info on the future of the IL membership. What are everyone's thoughts?

I think the beers sound really interesting & like Chris using the Beer Temple for the party. I'm disappointed he's ending the IL members program, but understand his reasoning with the Aquanuat situation. He's doing right by us (IMO) from a customer service perspective & I'm going to continue to support them in the future. Cheers Chris!

The final IL members release bottles are:

• Shamps- Biere de Champagne (Imperial sour saison with Domaine Berries Winery grapes, aged 1 year in white oak) 750mL Cork and Cage
    • Sangre de Miton- Oak aged sangria inspired sour 750mL Cork and Cage
    • Tracers- (Collab with Kimbell Brewing) Elderberry and Elderflower Oak aged Sour Saison- 500mL
    • The Lions Den- (Collab with Brekeriet) Cherry and Blueberry oak aged sour- 500mL
    • Plum Ardent- Oak Aged Wild Saison with Plums- 750mL

26. prior2two

Trader

Just realized the party is from 10-2 on Sunday.

Seriously? 10am? Is is even legal
    To serve beer that early on a Sunday?

27. croush

croush Champion (805) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Set your alarm! :wink:

kbergen28 and GuyFawkes like this.
  28. lloydboss

Yeah, definitely did a double take on that as well. The parties at Aquanuat started at 11, but that extra hour definitely makes a difference. My guess is that BT wanted the party done by 2 so that they could reopen to the public.

29. kort27

kort27 Initiate (193) Apr 23, 2009 Illinois
    Trader

Heads up - very doubtful that the party on Sunday can double as a bottle share, like it was at Aquanaut.

30. kort27

kort27 Initiate (193) Apr 23, 2009 Illinois
    Trader

How was the party? Did Kentuckley show up? Anachronism?

31. prior2two

Trader

I had a great time. I always thought Transient’s sour stuff was above average, but the stuff that I tried today was next level.

Just passing through and the Sangra were absolutely fantastic.

Hazelnut Buckley and swirl neck beard nectar were both solid, but IMO the wild stuff stole the show.

Can’t make theparty next week in Bridgman, but I’m sure it’ll be a blast, and I can’t wait for the next iteration of the membership.

kort27, lloydboss and Nbrock24 like this.
  32. P739397

P739397 Initiate (110) Feb 13, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

I probably won't make the party either, but this post makes me double think my plans. I opened a bottle of Pentameter the other day and loved it, would like to try some of the new sours.

33. lloydboss

I agree, had a great time as well. There was a smaller crowd then I was expecting, so BT wasn't elbow to elbow & we were able to get chairs & then a table as the day went on. I definitely agree that the sours were the star of the show, Just Passing Through was the only beer I had more than one pour of. It was great that Chris offered the "cellar table" as well with pours of vintage bottles. I saw Kentuckly being poured, but didn't seen Anacrhonism

I went into the day 75/25 in favor of continuing with the membership & like @prior2two the quality of the wild & fruited beers sealed the deal for me.

Pours I had (as best as I can remember)

Sangra
    Presque (whiskey barrel)
    Just Passing Through
    Shamps
    Hazlenut Buckley
    Obligatory
    Presque (wine barrel)
    New Wave
    Neckbeard Swirl
    Just Passing Through

kort27 and Nbrock24 like this.
  34. jlsims04

jlsims04 Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois

I will echo the general sentiment. I was extremly frustrated with transient as a whole going in. Terrible communnication and fairly mediocre beer on the wild side. I did a complete 180 after saturday. The sours and wilds were outstanding. Far and away better than anything they have put out previously. Party was fun as well. Awesome set up. Its too bad they wount be able to contine the illinois membership with the BT folks hosting.

lloydboss likes this.
  35. Minipork

Minipork Initiate (174) Dec 11, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

New JIL dropped today in Chi at a few places. Anyone try it yet?

HouseofWortship and croush like this.
  36. croush

croush Champion (805) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I was wondering the same thing, as well as the most recent Mind to Devour batch that came in last week or the week before. I may grab some of these to try out. I know last summer that both of them really wowed me, and I haven't had that same feeling for the Transient beers again.

HouseofWortship likes this.
  37. lloydboss

I picked up 4 packs of each Sunday but haven't tried either yet. They had both JIL & Obligatory on the draft board, I only had the Obligatory. FWIW my buddy had the draft JIL & said he was underwelmed, but admitted at the time he thought that was influenced by all the top shelf wilds he had leading up to that. The Obligatory was really good IMO

38. Nbrock24

Trader

The Mind to Devour from 2 weeks ago was better than the initial drop. Not sure if reached the heights of last July’s release but it was pretty solid. Oddly enough, some ended up in Boston for sale as my trading partner showed me a pic of one he came across.

39. lloydboss

Just opened my first bottle from last week's release, went with Tracers. It was a mild gusher, but settled down pretty quickly. This wasn't one of the draft options available last week, but the quality is right there with the other recent fruited wilds & has a great balance with the elderberries. Looking forward to trying Lion's Den as well!

40. Kraz

Kraz Disciple (350) Feb 12, 2018 Indiana
    Society Trader

To echo everyone else, JiL and M2D are so hit and or miss. Obligatory is by far the most dependable and in my opinion best beer Transient makes. It's a shame because the first batch of M2D was one of the best beers that has had the pleasure of passing through my luscious lips

Nbrock24 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.