1. Looking to trade some beers? Check out How to Get Started with Beer Trading.

Trappist Westvleteren 12 - Trade Value?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk' started by caponeduke, Dec 12, 2012.

1. caponeduke

caponeduke Jul 28, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

2. buffs9

buffs9 Apr 28, 2008 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I think what people are going to say, including me, is that it's worth $85 in trade.

FUNKPhD, wsnich, oteixeira and 4 others like this.
  3. doopiedoopiedoo

doopiedoopiedoo Oct 2, 2010 Netherlands

0.5 King Henry or 1/3 Rare

Franch likes this.
  4. shuajw

shuajw Aug 12, 2007 Georgia

a 6-pack of supplication and two Russian River glasses

Smurf2055, FUNKPhD, franklinn and 4 others like this.
  5. fredrik_

fredrik_ Oct 3, 2012 Sweden

it's worth $4$ nothing else.

6. Hanzo

Hanzo Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

Considering the hundreds of FTs about to pop up I would expect nothing more than $4$ for other limited distributed beer.

sleuthdog likes this.
  7. caponeduke

caponeduke Jul 28, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

cool - I think I will pick it up as much as it hurts money wise. It will be posted soon.

8. match1112

match1112 Mar 2, 2011 Illinois

they make nice extras.

FUNKPhD, Photekut, Gorton and 5 others like this.
  9. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Jun 7, 2005 New York

Definitely not worth a case of Heady Topper...that's for sure....

(especially since the bricks are making appearances in both Montpelier and Burlington.)

franklinn, Bluecane and Jnorton00 like this.
  10. JulianB

JulianB Feb 1, 2012 South Carolina

And so it begins...

FUNKPhD, robinsmv and caponeduke like this.
  11. robinsmv

robinsmv Jun 24, 2010 Florida

Doesn't everyone know the bottles with printing on them aren't tradable? Now the ones straight from the brewery are a completely different story, they be walez bro and should trade for nothing less then an izzy.

12. evilc

evilc Jan 27, 2012 California

I think they're great extras. I send 4/6 of mine from a brick I got earlier in the year out as extras and my partners loved them.

13. shuajw

shuajw Aug 12, 2007 Georgia

ISO: bucket of oxyclean

NiceFly, skinsfan and robinsmv like this.
  14. kscaldef

kscaldef Jun 11, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Westy 12 already didn't trade for more than $4$. (Where $ is roughly 15.) Anyone who wanted it enough could find it on Etre or BiaB periodically. The infusion of (from what I've heard) 42,000 bottles into the US market certain isn't going to increase the trading value.

15. owen49

owen49 Jun 13, 2009 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I expect it will unusually easy to trade for this; I'm guessing a lot of people actually were forced to buy more than they wanted - the all-or-nothing 6 pack. I know that I probably would have been happier with 4 instead of 6.

So unlike a lot of limited releases where people will typically buy only what they want (and what they want to trade), I'm sure a lot of these bottles are very much available.

So good news if you're looking to acquire some, bad news if you want to use them as tradebait.

16. dtmets84

dtmets84 Dec 31, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

I put one on 'hold' at beer pantry. It is 85 bucks + tax.. If any of you guys want it, shoot me a BM

17. cbeer88

cbeer88 Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

We just got bombarded with Westy 12 (which is why you can grab a 6 pack). It's trade value has never been lower.

Jnorton00 likes this.
  18. Jnorton00

Jnorton00 Apr 13, 2007 Massachusetts

You might be able to score a few bottles of BCBs. It seems like a metric shit ton of westy came here compared to BCBS.

19. zac16125

zac16125 Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Luckily, its oh so delicious, and better to be drank than traded anyways!

Brew33 and injuredreserve like this.
  20. Greenplastic615

Greenplastic615 Nov 4, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

For the price, I wouldn't buy it if you're buying it exclusively to trade. If you're buying it to enjoy, it's delicious and holds up very well, so you could enjoy one or two now, and save the rest for some important days. :)

CWinchell likes this.
  21. zac16125

Beer Trader

Like $4$ locals? I disagree. This is one of the top 5 most wanted beers on BA,and it will almost certainly be sold out everywhere within a day of releasae. Im not saying its a whale, but at least give it $4$ with other limited releases.

solo103 likes this.
  22. evilc

I'd argue that it is *not* one of the top 5 most wanted beers on BA.

23. cbeer88

No, it's going to go $4$ for shelf stuff for sure. Shelf stuff worth trading for, but shelf stuff nonetheless. (Surly, Pliny, Heady, Bourbon County, etc, etc)

Westy 12 was not all that difficult to trade for previously, and most anybody who has actively traded for any significant amount of time has already had it. There are now tens of thousands of expensive 6-packs floating around, and many traders are going to be trying to unload 2-3 bottles to subsidize the cost. Supply in the trade forums will greatly outpace demand.

24. evilc

ISO: Dave / FT: Westy brick, minus 1 beer and 1 glass so I could try it.

Auror, tinypyramids, RC0032 and 2 others like this.
  25. codysjb

codysjb Jun 16, 2010 Prince Edward Island (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Even if it is, the sheer volume of bricks that just came in make it trade for semi limited beers (bcbs, fbs) at best and regular locals at worst. So many were imported that if your on ba and wanted it you just had to apply the most basic effort to secure some. But im sure well still see a million ft:westy 12 iso: bcbs cherry, rare,... Which will get old fast. If anything id think westy 8 and blond are going to go up in value (as will 6).

26. Bluecane

Bluecane Dec 30, 2011 New York

I keep hoping that the "debacles" with Frangelic Mountain Brown, Bolt Cutter, Utopias, and Westy 12 will slow down some people speeding to stores to buy out and hoard new releases.

New hoarders are probably coming at a faster rate than they can be "cured" by such mistakes, but maybe not.

NiceFly, CWinchell and cbeer88 like this.
  27. BobZ

BobZ Jun 24, 2009 Massachusetts

This

Plus a soon to appear "The Westvleteren in the Brick Package is not as good as the old Westvleteren" threads accompanied by a plummet out of the Top Ten (if not the Top 100) because the beer will no longer have the delicious "rarium" flavor it once had!:eek:

After all, Morons be Morons! :p

ant880, ASUBeer, robinsmv and 2 others like this.
  28. brees6221

brees6221 Aug 4, 2009 Western Sahara

Westy12 is definitely not one of the top 5 most wanted beers on BA. I don't know if there's an easier way to do this, but I took the long rooad and searched some of the big dogs for # of wants. If you use that and were able to compile a complete list, I'd say it might be in the top 10.

WANTS
    1. Pliny the Elder 2986
    2. Kate the Great 2702
    3. Pliny the Younger 2599
    4. CBS 2351
    5. Darkness 2279
    6. Westy12 2257
    7. Heady 2173
    8. Dark Lord 2164
    9. KBS 2121
    10. Black Tuesday 2055

This list is nowhere near official, I stopped once I found 5 with more wants than Westy12. :D I know we're off-topic at this point so to satisfy my curiosity I'm going to start another thread.

Edit for anyone interested: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/beers-with-the-highest-number-of-wants.55189/

29. cbeer88

Yeah, this is actually a good thing that people keep gobbling up releases that turn out to be in good quantities, low demand, and/or aren't that highly rated. Back in the day gots/wants ratio was a near perfect proxy for how hard it would be to obtain a beer. Something like Bolt Cutter with an inverse 1-to-3 shouldn't trade for anything but shelf locals. Nowadays that number is irrelevant compared to the hype of a new release.

But you're right, there's a good chance that the market is growing faster than people can learn their hoarding lesson.

30. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Jul 19, 2009

Love it, literally belly laughed.

C'mon man.

BobZ likes this.
  31. JulianB

JulianB Feb 1, 2012 South Carolina

FT: Westy XII brick ISO: x2 Cable Car plus some locals to match $4$

evilc likes this.
  32. Franch

Franch Mar 22, 2011 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

FT: westy 12 brick x2 + 1 extra bottle ISO: 2x brandy vanilla DL

JulianB likes this.
  33. drummermattie02

drummermattie02 May 10, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

I agree with all that you've said, although I consider Utopias far from such a debacle. Sure, the mouth breathers trying to trade it for $200 of actually rare beer are a bit out of their minds, but I think there are still plenty who think it's a great beer, limited (fewer bottles than King Henry, at least), worth paying for, and enjoy the hell out of it when they open it. Not hard to tell I'm in the latter group, but oh well.

34. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

The only people left on earth who hasnt had this beer are noobs and people who don't trade. You should make out pretty well if you're trading with an idiot.

35. zac16125

Beer Trader

Sorry sixth. I was basing this off BA wants. Geez, tough crowd.

36. evilc

BA wants? He just showed you BA's don't want this beer anywhere near top 5.

37. Bluecane

Bluecane Dec 30, 2011 New York

What I said can be true even if your second part is true, too. It's supposed to be a great treat, one that I would love to try one day, and very well may be worth paying for to drink. But I lumped it in there because it's recent, people tried and failed to get a bevy of big beer, and it was a costly mistake, one that would likely be successful in dissuading many from trying the same stunt in the future.

drummermattie02 likes this.
  38. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Jun 7, 2005 New York

Actually, wasn't King Henry ~12,000 bottles?

SA stated that there would be ~15,000 bottles of Utopias this year...

Not really agreeing/disagreeing with your statement, just suggesting that they aren't as far apart in rarity as one might think.

39. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Nov 11, 2011 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Trade value should be what you paid for it, and since it should be 85 bucks everywhere, that should be the trade value

40. nanobrew

nanobrew Dec 31, 2008 California

For some reason I got a chuckle out of this, thinking of the hoards of new beer traders coming in as an endless sworn of zombies. You may take down a few, but for each one there are 10 more slowly creeping up on you. Where vets leaving the trading forum are survivors barricading themselves in bunkers, and their Mountain Dew and twinkie supplies are established trade partners

NiceFly and Bluecane like this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe