Travel Case

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by KalbHOMEBREWS, Feb 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KalbHOMEBREWS

KalbHOMEBREWS (0) Feb 2, 2017 Colorado

Helllllloooo fellow beer geeks!

This is my first post and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I travel for a living and in my free time I'm always checking out local breweries and beer stores that might have some hard to find beers. I've gotten pretty good at packing so I can take home a few 750mL in my checked bag all wrapped up in clothes. However, I'm ALWAYS stuck with the dilemma of having to limit my quantity of take home beer to 3 bottles max.

I have seen the "Wine Check" bag that holds (12) 750mL bottles but I've never been able to find any bags specific for beer to be "checked" for travel. Has anyone seen this or just have used the wine check bag?

SammyJaxxxx and Harrison8 like this.
  2. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg (320) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont

I converted a Pelican shock - proof case from a camera case to a 6-750ml bottle case by ordering new pick foam for it. Bomb-proof, but exactly 48 lbs. loaded. Could use wheels, though!

TheDoctor, Reef, Brolo75 and 3 others like this.
  3. KalbHOMEBREWS

That's genius! Do you have any photos you could share? Love to see the inside of it. Never had any issues with a bottle breaking? We all know how "gently" the airports handle luggage.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  4. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg (320) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont

Can never seem to post photos on here but it could be dropped a long way, and just bounce. There's 2" of pick foam surrounding each bottle, custom-fitted for 750's. I took my big video camera all over SE Asia in it, and it survived many a hard blow. Took it all over Belgium 2 years ago with bottles and made it home fine. Really does need wheels, but new models have them.

TheDoctor and KalbHOMEBREWS like this.
  5. stephenjmoore

stephenjmoore (0) Feb 17, 2011 Maryland
    Society

I've used the Wine Check and it's worked like a charm. Based on the size you can use each slot for a 750 or two cans (12 oz/12 oz or 16 oz/12 oz).

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  6. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

This may sound crazy but bring an empty 12 Shipper box with you and either ship it home or check it on the plane.

TheDoctor and thelivingbubba like this.
  7. KalbHOMEBREWS

That's a shame we cant see the photos! I'm actually looking around to find some old pelican cases to give it a shot. I really like the idea of repurposing it. I'm going to Vancouver, BC at the end of march and I really want to bring some bottles home.

8. djtothemoney

djtothemoney (0) Nov 30, 2015 Ohio

I've actually kept quite a few of these for this reason, haven't had to use it yet though.

9. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 (1,724) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Just a thought - if you can't find a carrier that fits your needs, maybe you can experiment with making your own by using an old suitcase and some Door & Window expanding insulating foam (available at home center stores). This stuff comes in aerosol cans, and it may (or may not, that's the experiment) form-fit itself around some empty bottles that are suitably arranged in your suitcase when the suitcase is spray-filled with the foam. You later remove these empty bottles and it leaves a cavity in which to place full bottles of the same size for transport. You may need to use cooking oil or wrap them in plastic wrap or something to make the bottles release easily because the foam stuff is sticky. (Protect your hands too!) It may take a couple attempts to see if it will work, but it should be a fairly cheap way to accomplish it.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.