Traveling in Japan (Tokyo and Kyoto)

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Stevedore, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Hoppsbabo

Hoppsbabo Champion (861) Jan 29, 2012 United Kingdom (England)
    Trader

I haven't been to Tanakaya for a couple of years but it was mostly all imported beer. The Japanese selection was almost non existent. I didn't see anything but macro beer in the restaurants, apart from the odd Coedo.

2. kinopio

kinopio Aspirant (255) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts

In my experience the beer selection in average liquor stores isn't very good. Baird is fairly easy to find. As are cans from Yo-Ho Brewing(I think Tokyo Black Porter and Yona Yona Pale ale are good). There is supposedly a good store in Tokyo station in Ginza called Le Collier Marunouchi but I was not able to find it. Tokyo station is massive. I did find BarBar Tokyo which had some good things on draft. Other beer stops in Ginza are Dry Dock, Craft Beer Bar Ibrew, and there is a Delirium Cafe as well. Devil Craft Kanda is a short walk. I really like The Watering Hole in Shinjuku. Most craft places don't open till later but they open at 3 which may be a good time to bring your kid. They have a good tap list as well as bottles they will sell, also to go. I've seen Cantillon there(for pretty cheap) as well as some American sours in addition to some Japanese stuff.

Most restaurants will not have craft beer. I very happily drink sake or local whiskey in restaurants, and save beer drinking for craft specific places(luckily there are a lot of craft beer bars in Tokyo). In Ginza I suggest Kagari for ramen. Try to get there a bit before they open as its popular and small.

bostonwolf and beepill like this.
  3. amano_h

amano_h Crusader (700) Mar 18, 2014 Oregon

World Beer Market (or amicably known by locals as Biama-) in Kitasenju has a large selection of domestic craft, and isn't too far away from Ginza. Tanakaya also isn't that far away from Ginza either (just take the Yamanote line and get off at Mejiro) but doing either of these with a two-year-old might prove difficult.

Yes.

I have no first hand experience with this matter, and I have never seen anyone under the age of 20 visiting any of these establishments. However, the retail space at Craftheads and Baird is pretty small; Popeyes and BrewDog gets uncomfortably full to the point that I wouldn't want to take a two-year-old to such establishments.

Good luck, hope this helped.

pudgym29 and beepill like this.
  4. beepill

beepill Initiate (0) Nov 28, 2012 British Columbia (Canada)

thanks for the tips.

5. theKidisStrong

theKidisStrong Initiate (90) Dec 2, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Hey hey,

I'll be in Tokyo for about a week. Are there any cool new beer stops? I am most interested in visiting breweries, but bar recommendations are also appreciated.

Thanks, everyone.

6. MaLu

MaLu Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2012 Japan

I live near Kita senju. Right next to the station is a bar and beer store named Beer Ma Bar. I'm here now and the menu is 5 tapped beers, about half being Japanese with a significantly larger bottle selection. I recommend it for a quick afternoon stop. I also highly recommend Devil Craft brewery, which has a 3 stores all on the Yamanote line that are very convenient: Kanda, Hamamatsucho, and Gotanda. Good Beer Faucets in Shibuya is also pretty good.

Hiwattowner likes this.
  7. Charliechu

Charliechu Aspirant (224) Jul 1, 2013 California
    Trader

Im heading to Tokyo at the start of next month, and this thread has been very helpful for me to get a flavor of what to expect out there. If anyone wants to grab a beer or do a trade, holla! I also posted on the FT international section.

8. patmoore

patmoore Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2014 Massachusetts

Hi everyone. Does anyone know if I can buy a Styrofoam bottle shipper in Tokyo? preferably around Shinjuku, but not a deal breaker.

9. JonnyBeers

JonnyBeers Disciple (350) Oct 24, 2012 British Columbia (Canada)

I doubt they are very common, but you might be able to find one in one of the better supermarkets that sells wine and ships perhaps. Many shops will deliver but I'm not sure what they deliver in. I've always just used a hardcase suitcase and bubble wrap in shoe boxes to take home, works fine. If actually shipping, hmmm good luck! might need to build your own.

10. chelp

chelp Initiate (39) Jun 28, 2014 Japan
    Trader

Hi, Styrofoam shipper is not popular in Japan. Cardboard box with partition is popular in Japan.

If you are ok used once, I can ship this to your hotel shipping only. I have a private import. So I have many Cardboard box. Many boxes is in the way.lol

11. dcgunman

dcgunman Crusader (731) Jul 1, 2009 California

Will be in the mountain town Yamanouchi next weekend for 3 nights. Shiga Kogen Brewery I know about. We are thinking about taking the train back down to Nagano for a half day visit. Any place in Nagano for a good pint of anything local Japanese beer? A place to eat and good beer would be a bonus.

12. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,008) May 23, 2011 Washington

Oh! La! Ho! is in Nagano. They made pretty good hoppy beers.

http://www.tomi-kosya.com/ohlaho/ohlaho.html

Baird also has a taproom there.

13. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Champion (881) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Trader

It's been too long for me too make any specific beer-related recommendations, but if you're into rock/punk/metal, do yourself a favour and head down to Rock Bar Mother in the Kabuki-Cho area of Shinjuku in Tokyo. You will thank me, trust me on this.

VABA likes this.
  14. dcgunman

dcgunman Crusader (731) Jul 1, 2009 California

Well we made it back from our short visit to Tokyo (2 nights) and our ryokan in Yudanaka (3 nights). Tamamura Honten Brewery was a special bonus tucked away in the ryokan town. And it was only a short 15 minute hike from our ryokan. I say hike because to walk there you are walking most all up hill from Masuya. Felt like a short hike. At the tasting room was 2 taps. Their DIPA 1t IPA and a Blonde (which I did not try). There were 5 foreigners when I walked in. A couple from Adelaide, Australia and and small group of women I believe from the UK. Several more foreigners and and Japanese walked inside during my 1 1/2 hour stay. I had a pour of the 1t and a bottle of Shiga Kogen Porter. Was having a great conversation with Johnnie Coles who I met when I first walked in. Another 3 guys from San Diego walked in and kept the conversation going in till I had to leave. The tasting room was old style Japanese house-like. Cold inside. Their beers warmed you up some. I ended up buying the 1t bottles to take back home with me. I also ended up buying several more bottles from the towns local store. Their house ipa, SK IPA, pale ale and sake rice IPA. The sake rice was the surprise for me. Bought an extra bottle to bring back. This place also brews sake. I think sake is their main drink and the beers are second. But don’t skip on their beers. All IPAs were good to very good. You can find their bottles and drafts all over Tokyo and Japan. Bottle price range from $3.5 to $6.5 per bottle. I didn’t see any 6pks. Only singles.
    Back down in Tokyo, our last night I managed to find Craft Beer Bar iBrew in Chiyoda. I’m roaming the streets of Tokyo at night with no WiFi to use my phone. I didn’t know about this thing called pocket WiFi. Sounds like a scam to me. Why is when I went to Busan, S Korea last year September I had access to WiFi everywhere I went to. Including as soon as you walk into the trains and subways? And their bullet train. The Shinkansen from Ueno to Nagano and back was terrible. Expensive and no WiFi. Unless you brought your pocket WiFi. Again, scam. Back to Craft Beer Bar night. I had 2 Japanese local craft. One was a NE style ipa. It was just okay. And it was not haze or hazy. It was more clear than anything. Maybe they were trying for the newest trend...filtered haze. I think it was around 6.7%. Again, it was just okay. The 2nd pour I had was from Kanazawa I believe. It was a tipa. 11%. This one I liked. I was going to have a second pour. Glad I didn’t. No WiFi at the bar. WTF! Scam.

Redrover likes this.
  15. distantmantra

WiFi isn't super common, never has been on my trips there. We normally have a pocket wifi included with our AirBNB rentals and I've found it incredibly handy.

bostonwolf likes this.
  16. jcruz_

jcruz_ Initiate (29) Dec 3, 2015 Guam

Will be in Tokyo next week. Any recommendations for bars in the Shinjuku area to grab good beer? Also do the trains/rails shut down at night, and if so what time?

17. distantmantra

Bamboo Beer Pub, Craft Beer Server Land and Vector Beer Factory are in Shinjuku

The trains shut down between midnight and 1 am. After that you'll need to walk back to your place or grab a (very expensive) taxi.

18. Aetherbulb

Aetherbulb Initiate (98) Oct 10, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Heading to Tokyo next week for three nights and read this thread. Some great info, wanted to see if there was any updates. Searching for a couple places to find good beer (on site and to go) as well as some good places to find whisky to go? Planning on hitting up craft heads, popeyes, and tanakaya, as well as liquor hasegawa based off this thread.

19. pinyin

pinyin Disciple (357) Sep 19, 2013 New York

Watering Hole

pudgym29 and kinopio like this.
  20. kinopio

I'm planning my 3rd trip to Japan for september and in my research I've come across some new(I think) spots:
    YYG Brewery
    Spring Valley Brewery
    TBE Brewing
    Swan Lake Pub Edo
    Hitachino Brewing Lab(the view looks amazing)
    Vector Beer

My two favorites from my prior trips are Watering Hole and Baird Harajuku Taproom. Devilcraft Kanda was cool too. Be sure to report back after your trip.

21. bostonwolf

bostonwolf Initiate (143) Jan 20, 2015 Massachusetts

Or stay out drinking until the trains start running again.

pudgym29 likes this.
  22. bostonwolf

Slightly outside of beer, but make sure you go see sumo if you haven't seen it before. There is a September tournament in Tokyo. We got tickets the minute they went live online and had pretty good seats (front row of the upper level of the stadium)

Popeye's craft beer bar is about a five minute walk from the sumo stadium and usually has dozens of Japanese craft beers on tap.

We also found it amusing that they sat all the gaijin at one six-seat table. No worries we made friends with Norwegians, Swedes and an Irishman.

kinopio likes this.
  23. bostonwolf

24. kinopio

The sumo tickets go on sale this week. I'll be there for the last two tournament days so my fingers are crossed.

25. SFCraft

SFCraft Initiate (113) Mar 20, 2014 California
    Trader

If you can't get tickets online, you can still try your luck the morning of. My wife and I trekked over to Ryogoku Kokugikan first thing in the morning, on the last day of their Tokyo tour and managed to grab tickets to their "general seating" area. Staff will actively count how many people there are in line and will have a cut off when capacity has been met. Sure, it was the "nosebleeds" but it was significantly cheaper than whatever we saw online. good luck!

The Yomiuri Giants game at the Tokyo Dome is amazing. It's BYOB. They'll have you pour your beer into plastic cups before entering.

26. pudgym29

pudgym29 Initiate (60) Mar 14, 2009 Illinois

First quotation: I do not have a mobile phone. What originally set me against having a mobile phone was, when I visited Tokyo for the first time in December 2005, all the telephone carriers in Japan were providing service a generation ahead of what was being offered then in the U.S.A. I realized that all the mobile phone services back in the U.S.A. were dogging it in order to get people to sign up with them. The upgrade would come after, and cost a lot more. :angry:
    I have a laptop. The one I am typing this reply on. What I have learned is that there is free wi-fi in Japan, but there's a routine you have to go through.
    In order to get free wi-fi from the major carriers in Japan, you must first have wi-fi access!
    The instruction is to e-mail a blank e-mail to the e-mail address for the free wi-fi provider. It will reply to that e-mail address with an access code which you will use when your laptop (or mobile phone) encounters one of its wi-fi networks. It will show as not password-protected; but it is similar to wi-fi networks in the U.S.A. letting you logon, but then presenting a Cisco password page into which you must input the password, which, in this case, is the access code e-mailed to you.
    For the second quotation: I must insist you hit the original location of Thrash Zone in central Yokohama. The one which is northwest of the Yokohama trains station, and which is within staggering distance of Guest House Kanalian, where I have stayed, and, despite its diminutive and spartan accomodation (You don't need a towel, but you must have pajamas.), is a venue I would love to stay at again - even if my nightly visitations were in Kawasaki or Tokyo. Koichi-san is very much into hard rock & metal music. I love it. I've given artifacts bought in the U.S.A. to Koichi-san. Go figure. I like jazz more than metal nowadays, but I still love this place. The next time I go to Japan, whether I stay in Yokohama or Tokyo (Khaosan, another hostel where I have stayed, has opened a hostel within staggering distance of Beer Club Popeye.:heart_eyes:), I will spend an evening here.

27. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Champion (881) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Trader

HOP DEICIDE DIPA
    INTENSE HOP CHARACTER.
    THIS IS SURELY EXTREME BEER FOR EXTREME PEOPLE.
    WHEN YOU FEEL SOMETHING STRESSFUL ON YOUR JOB 3PM WEEKDAY IN THE AFTERNOON, THIS CAN BE A GOOD TRIGGER FOR EXPLOSION OF BIG REFRESHING NIGHT. BIG SIMCO HOP AROMA AND VERY TIGHT BODY.

Awesome engrish, love it. Great name too.

distantmantra likes this.
  28. kinopio

Just got back from 2 weeks in Japan(this was my 3rd time there). Sorry for the length of this post but hopefully someone finds it useful. In reference to prior posts I did get Sumo tickets when they went on sale online and the sumo tournament was awesome.

Tokyo
    Beer Bar Marumaru: Saw a "craft beer" sign while walking from Ueno Park to Akihabara so I stopped in. Had some interesting stuff on tap including a nice saison from Ushitora Brewery.
    Hitachino Brewing Lab: In a really cool building that has a patio on the river overlooking Akihabara. Had a milk stout.
    Devilcraft Kanda: Had been here previously 3 years ago. I had two of their own beers including a fresh hopped brown ale that was very good
    Nihonbashi Brewery Tokyo Station: Didn't like the couple beers I had nor the pizza
    Baird Taproom Harajuku: 3rd time visiting here. Had a good 2016 barley wine on tap. Always worth a stop.
    Watering Hole: Been here a few times before. They had a Swedish tap takeover going on so they only had a few Japanese beers on tap which was disappointing. Minoh Stout on cask. Still glad I came back as I very much enjoy this spot.
    Noodle Advocate: Loved the Udon at Kamachiku. Worth the wait. Ramen at Fuunji was good but wouldn't wait in that line again. Ramen Takahashi in Ginza was an excellent first meal of the trip. Tsukumen at Menya Mushashi in Shinjuku always does the trick.

Kyoto
    Kyoto Beer Lab: GO HERE!!! Best beer spot I've been to in Japan. An interesting range of styles using Japanese ingredients and all of them are good. My fav was Hojicha Stout which is brewed with black tea. Wasabi Gose was very nice. A few of their beers were available in bottles for takeaway. Doesn't hurt that its on a super charming street.
    Taku AKA Tadgs Gastropub: An old favorite. Good local draft selection and I dig the food.
    Neo Sujin: Its a bunch of open air food stalls near Kyoto Station. Pretty sweet. Look for Kyoto Craft Stand. They had 6 beers from Kyoto Brewing Company on draft.
    Beer Pub Ichiya: Bar from Ichijoji Brewery. I had most of their beers and thought they were decent. Yuzu Wheat being my favorite.
    Bungalow Teramachi: A second Bungalow with a more central location but smaller tap list.
    Noodle and Sake Advocate: Loved the Tsukumen at Muraji Ramen in Gion. Taiho Ramen was solid and open until 6AM. I love Jam Sake Bar. Great place to try different sakes. Gabana Sake Bar in Nishiki Market was fun.

Nara
    LBK Craft: Had beers from Nara Brewing and Kyoto Brewing on tap. Good food too. On 2nd floor in a mall.

Hiroshima
    Real Beer Style Golden Garden: Fun spot but expensive. Kuru Pilsner was nice.
    Hangout: Some good local stuff on tap

Osaka
    Craft Beer Market: About 30 taps and the best prices I saw in Japan. In the basement food hall of Osaka Station. After we went to a Orix Buffaloes baseball game. If you bring a can or bottle of beer(or whatever beverage) they will give you a big cup to pour it into to bring in. I think you can only bring in one beverage and this trick may apply to all Japanese baseball stadiums.

In conclusion: Japan is the best at many things but they are only pretty good when it comes to beer. I drank as much sake as I did beer because the stuff is damn delicious. If you go to Japan and don't try a range of sakes you are seriously missing out. I went to a sake festival in Hiroshima and it was about $14 USD for 4 hours of all you can drink sake from local brewers. Knocking back some pours and talking baseball with a bunch of 80 year old locals was a treat. Hiking while hungover in Miyajima the next day was a bit of a challenge though.

29. distantmantra

It does apply to all NPB stadiums. I did this at Tokyo Dome back in 2010. My friends who live there said they're referred to as "the cups of shame" but no one cares.

kinopio likes this.