Travelling out of Toronto Island Airport

Discussion in 'Canada' started by pirate99gs, Jan 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pirate99gs

pirate99gs Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2014 Canada (QC)

Hopefully you lovely Torontonians can give me some ideas to fix this situation.

I am travelling to Newark NJ via Porter Airlines next week. Depending on my layover on the return trip, I had hoped to scoot over to Bellwoods, enjoy some beer and buy some to return home. This beer will need to be placed in my checked luggage, I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to do this. I had hoped to place my bag in a locker, but those do not exist anymore. My other options would be to bring my luggage with me to Bellwoods (not practical) or store beer in my carryon and check that (not cheap).

Anyone have any other ideas? Does anyone know of any store-n-go near the airport I could place my bags for a couple of hours?

2. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Poo-Bah (2,000) Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Society Trader

I'm drawing a blank. There might be some at Union, but I don't even know if the Porter shuttle runs from Union/Royal York anymore.

I know a guy who has used a zipcar once or twice just to store a few things in the trunk for a few hours. On the off chance you have a membership to a car share service that runs here, it may be an option...

I'm not sure if it works, but I've read where people simply tip the bellhop at a nearby hotel to store their bags for a few hours. I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be doing that though.

Wish i could be of more help.

3. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2012 Canada (ON)

Travelling many times through Billy Bishop to MTL with checked luggage I'm pretty sure you can't get a hold of your bag at the layover. It will meet you in MTL. Sorry for the bearer of bad news. If you can find a way around this let me know as I stop here for a layover often. No lockers that I remember seeing, but I was never looking for them before.

4. pirate99gs

When you clear customs at Billy Bishop (i'm coming from Newark) your bags are released and you have to re check them. I think my plan is to UBER to Bellwoods, pack bottles in checked bag, return to airport and check them.

5. DaveBar

DaveBar Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2013 Canada (ON)

If you are flying into the airport on a layover there is a good chance you will NOT be allowed access to your luggage on the layover. I may be wrong but I never been to the island and I believe you don't even see your bag at Person.

Here is an idea..... IF you can leave the secured area for the layover.

Bring a carry on with your clothes. Hail a cab and spend the few extra dollars. $20-25 each way won't kill you or break the bank. Have a couple, buy a couple and wrap them up. Put them in the carry on and check the bag! Another large suitcase is fine if you are ok with the second bag fee. If not just use the carry on.

By the way you will not get the special releases to go home with as they are restaurant only. Regular stock has been sold such as in your bring out your dead which typically goes within a day or two upon release. They upped the price in the restaurant to $25.00/500ml bottle now which is mighty steep. Price keeps going up and up!

6. pirate99gs

Thanks for the info! The last two times flying from Newark to Toronto, my bags have been released from the secured zone after passing thru customs, so I don't see why this would change this time (but I'll inform myself). Luckily, I'm arriving on Saturday, so in theory they'll have any special release remaining (I hope)

7. bylerteck

bylerteck Poo-Bah (3,358) May 17, 2009 Canada (ON)
    Society

How long is your layover?

8. pirate99gs

9. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2012 Canada (ON)

Interesting. No idea they did that. I travel from Windsor to Toronto then to Montreal. Never able to touch my checked bag until I get to Montreal.
    Even when I flew to Scotland via Amsterdam my bag went all the way there. Curious as to why Porter does this.

Ah well, perfect opportunity to load up!
    4 hrs is plenty.
    Cab stand is right outside the doors when you cross to the "mainland".

10. bylerteck

bylerteck Poo-Bah (3,358) May 17, 2009 Canada (ON)
    Society

If you're quick about it, there shouldn't be a problem. If you're in an Uber or cab, just bring it along. That way you can re-pack all your breakables!

11. Electros

Electros Poo-Bah (2,581) Feb 20, 2007 Canada (ON)
    Moderator Society Trader

Blood Brothers, and Burdock is close to Bellwoods as well.

12. bdemarco

bdemarco Initiate (39) Aug 6, 2015 Canada (ON)

Yeah I would be surprised if they didn't release your bag. I've experienced this twice coming from Mexico city/Houston (bags released, redo customs) Toronto and St.Maarten/Philly/Toronto. I actually think it's such bullshit that you need to clear and re-enter customs for the shortest layover (52mins). I don't think I'll ever do an international layover less than 2 hours again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.