Belgium Travelling to Belgium for 48 Hours. Must Sees?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by BILF, Nov 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BILF

BILF Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2010 Israel

I will be travelling to Belgium for 48 hours. Give me a plan please.

2. shnsajax

shnsajax Disciple (345) Jul 2, 2013 Idaho
    Beer Trader

Where in Belgium or are you able to move from city to city with no problem.

3. BILF

No Brussels is my only destination unless you can tempt me otherwise. I have 48 hours only.

#3 BILF, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  4. Dennoman

Dennoman Initiate (0) Aug 20, 2011 Belgium

1. Google
    2. When done with step 1, please proceed with any further questions you might have

I wonder why I still reply when they'll most likely just hunt for whales anyway.

Tut and azorie like this.
  5. BILF

6. ventura78

ventura78 Aspirant (267) Nov 22, 2003 Massachusetts

Start at Delirium cafe, it opens at 10. Go early to avoid the rush. Later have lunch at Cirio, the chicken waterzooi is good.

Pay a visit to La Becasse the same day and finish it up at Moeder Lambic Fontainas.

The next day you can check out Le Poechenellekelder and A La Mort Subite; or take a 22 min train ride from brussels centraal to this place

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/biggest-beerpub-in-the-world-the-capital.126668/

cheers

BILF likes this.
  7. BILF

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Moeder Lambic Fontainas is definitely on the agenda. Will research the other places you suggested.

Good advice - succinct, pertinent and user friendly.

8. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Disciple (382) Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

Happy researching -- just don't use Google, for heaven's sake!

But seriously... there are plenty more threads in this forum explore Brussels, covering bars, food (beer-centric and otherwise) and beer-centered tourism like Cantillon. I'll just chime in that if you want some other activities to break up the drinking, the highlights around your area are obviously seeing Grand' Place and from there, a stroll up the Mont des Arts toward the Sablon area and/or the art museums there, or cruise through the Sablon and then down into the Marolles -- esp. on a Sunday, when it's the liveliest place in town.

BILF likes this.
  9. azorie

azorie Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

10. byronic

byronic Crusader (751) Nov 8, 2013 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I would suggest getting a centrally located hotel in Brussels, not necessarily near the Grand Place. From there you can pretty much walk to most attractions weather permitting or alternative rely on the bus/tram/metro.

As for the must sees I would include:
    • Grand Place (make sure to size up the town hall and notice if something seems amiss architecturally, and look up to the statues pointing at each other on the towers in this square. Visit the Roy D'Espagne for a quick beer, and take in the decor)
    • Manneke Pis (There is a good cafe across the street. Should it be damp weather it has a roaring fireplace and many beers available)
    • Walk down the Rue Nueve (Buy a Gauffre Liege from any of the stands) and visit the Galerie St Hubert (and please look up, always look up when inside building!)
    • Place du petit Sablon - Visiting the Grand Sablon is nice, especially given the different shops however don't forget the little and often overlooked square across the street. It's my favourite spot in Brussels.
    My best advice however is to just wander the city, especially the side streets around the Grand Place. Be warned it is quite easy to get lost as there are many small winding streets however the rewards can be very worthwhile. A lot of small local cafes are tucked away and off the beaten path. You won't get a better local experience than that. One that comes to mind is Toone.

Whatever you do don't go see an Anderlecht match, even if they attempt to entice you with free beer!

BILF likes this.
  11. Jwale73

Jwale73 Poo-Bah (3,346) Aug 15, 2007 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

You can easily spend half a day at Cantillon between the self-tour and just hanging out and enjoying some of the bottle offerings. Moeder Lambic is a must. Skip Delirium in my opinion, or just head right upstairs to the Hoppy Loft. There's also Moeder Lambic St.Gilles

BILF likes this.
  12. atpca

atpca Zealot (565) Jun 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Cantillon was awesome, as expected. I really liked La B├ęcasse, felt like you'd gone through a portal to some other world. The food at Nuetnigenough was really good too.

13. Tut

Tut Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2004 New York

Toone is in the middle of the most heavily touristed area - hardly off the beaten path. With only 48 hrs he can do much better than hanging around the silly Mannekin Pis statue with the tourist gawkers.

14. BILF

So my visit to Brussels is complete. Thank you to all who replied with advice.
    I went to Cantillon for brewery tour and beer tasting.

Moeder Lambic had some nice offerings on tap and a helpfull bar tender.

La Becasse was a great place to try Rochefort 10 for the first time.

I did hunt a whale (Westvleteren 12) and bagged three (Bier Tempel) and even let a few swim away for another lucky punter.

Got lost just wandering around.

I wasn't going to go to Delerium but was really glad I did. The barman was super knowledgable and helped me try some styles belgian and US that were on my list but not on the menu.

I stayed at Le Plaza Hotel which offers an opulent ambiance and a convenient location.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe