Treasury eyes beer industry 'duopoly' in urging more competition

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by BuffaloBill12, Feb 10, 2022.

1. BuffaloBill12

BuffaloBill12 Oct 21, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

https://thehill.com/business-a-lobb...ury-eyes-beer-industry-duopoly-in-urging-more

officerbill, mikeinportc and Roguer like this.
  2. bubseymour

bubseymour Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Hopefully there is better methods to keep so much of the beer industry from being monopolized by the 2 big dogs. From distribution, to aluminum, to shelf space, to tap handles….they got their claws into controlling so many aspects of the industry for sure.

BigIronH likes this.
  3. MNAle

MNAle Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Distribution concentration is the bigger problem for small brewers, I would think. Unfortunately for the Feds (I know... that inconvenient Constitution thing), that is state jurisdiction.

4. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Regarding the trouble with getting cans for small brewers/cideries, perhaps it is time for them to explore alternative packaging. I don’t see the world suddenly finding a surplus of aluminum as demand goes up. Plastic is a terrible choice for the environment, but if it is passable for milk, soda, juice, etc. then I don’t see why it wouldn’t work for beer/cider. How about those paper based milk/juice cartons?

5. jesskidden

jesskidden Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

What!? I'm shocked. This Beer Institute? :astonished:
    *2018-2019 Report. Current one does not list members, but to be fair, a number of well-known "craft" breweries also belong to both the B.A. and the Beer Institute.

6. MNAle

Society

re: min purchase of cans...

How about (horrors!) bottles?

It wasn't that long ago that small brewers packaged only in bombers.

7. MNAle

Society

With the "-" around "craft", are you talking about brewers that the BA still considers "independent" or those it does not? Just curious.

8. jesskidden

Society Trader

Hmm... not necessarily. In the DoJ agreement which allowed AB-InBev to buy SABMiller (even though Molson Coors wound up with the US part of the company):

9. jesskidden

Society Trader

Well, Heavy Seas as noted on the BoD, but also Sierra Nevada, Boston, Bell's, Stone, Harpoon, Matt, Spoetzl... too many to list (or copy/paste). When The BI stopped listing their membership on their website or annual reports (and WTF's the deal with that?), I went back and saved the membership at the time (2018 is the date of my word file).

From that same 2018-2019 Report pdf I quoted from above:
    Pretty sure that Brooklyn's Steve Hindy was also an official with the BI at one time.

#9 jesskidden, Feb 10, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
  10. MNAle

Society

Thanks.

11. MNAle

Society

Yeah, but they used their leverage on approval of the merger(s), not their actual jurisdiction.

(Similar to how the Feds interfere in state jurisdiction by using their money, for example, with the DUI laws, minimum age alcohol purchase laws, etc. - pass these laws or you don't get "our" money).

They can regulate interstate commerce, but not intrastate (at least according to the oft ignored constitution).

officerbill and PapaGoose03 like this.
  12. FBarber

FBarber Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

13. jesskidden

Society Trader

Well, many distributors these days are owned by large, multistate chains like Reyes, Hand Family, Sheehan, JJ Taylor and Glazers (all among the 20 largest distributors in the US). And, of course, they all deal with AB or MC (or other out of state breweries or importers), so that alone likely makes it interstate commerce in most cases.

#13 jesskidden, Feb 10, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
    Jaycase, rgordon, Chaz and 1 other person like this.
  14. rgordon

rgordon Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I remember when Sheehan split their craft and specialty imports into a company separate from their AB portfolio. Previously AB claimed the craft and imports diluted AB sales. Simple solution: two companies. Now AB wants it both ways by owning it all. Nothing really new at at all.....

officerbill likes this.