Tree House Brewing (2022)

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by Greyvtrayn, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Mgh2001

Mgh2001 Initiate (40) Dec 3, 2021
    Trader

Yeah, it was gone for most of the afternoon and put back up. I’m glad they have more!

2. shkin

shkin Aspirant (256) Feb 6, 2011 New York

Not to start another "kids at the brewery" discussion. Still, I'm planning to stop by Deerfield on the way to VT next month, and curious if a family pizza lunch at the brewery would work or if I should plan to have lunch elsewhere and only order beers to-go.

ColdOne likes this.
  3. darkandhoppy

darkandhoppy Aspirant (203) Dec 26, 2008 Connecticut

I've seen plenty of kids there and with both indoor and outdoor seating, you should be able to find a space

ColdOne and shkin like this.
  4. Jbrews

Jbrews Disciple (346) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

Was there today. Didn’t have my little one with me but would be very comfortable with her there given that this time of year the grounds are massive and there was plenty of space and tables or blanket area for a family. You can easily find your own space and not intrude on anyone. Lots of families there and we enjoyed seeing the little ones hanging out. Treehouse during the summer is a very different environment to bring kids compared to I would say 95% other breweries. Many I wouldn’t bring my little one too as she wouldn’t enjoy it and it’s just not the right environment. But I think it’s the fact that treehouse is inherently kids and family friendly as it is. Without even trying to be.

Now, we did see two pitbuls freak out and start sprinting in circles while attached to chairs still and literally drag the full size Adirondack’s like a boat anchor forcefully dragging them like a trip wire ready to injure.. If that took my kid out I’d lose my shit. Control your dogs. If they aren’t good with other dogs or people, you shouldn’t bring them. Sad to say tbis wasn’t exaggerating. We both love fury animals, but this was overly aggressive and unsafe for anyone.

lines weren’t too bad from 1-2:30 or so being a 15 minute wait at the main bar at most during a surge. Most of the time is was around 10 min. Vivid yellow was lovely. Also got to try Em’s persist and preserve. God damn those are excellent.

#684 Jbrews, Jun 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
    lic217 likes this.
  5. shkin

That's great to hear, Two of my kids are teenagers and the youngest is almost 10, so I'm not worried too much about them not enjoying being at a brewery – they can entertain themselves and enjoy a conversation with the parents.

Followup questions:
    • How good is the pizza? And also is it big enough for 2-3 people?
    • Considering the lines at the bar, is it possible to order more than one beer at once not without worrying about the line again?

lic217 likes this.
  6. darkandhoppy

darkandhoppy Aspirant (203) Dec 26, 2008 Connecticut

would take kids over dogs every day of the week

7. Mgh2001

Trader

Ten: I enjoyed, kinda tasted like an extremely hopped rainbow series

Incredible Machine: Tasty, a bit much for me. Prefer juice machine and jjjm.

Pftl10: I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. Probably my favorite of the bunch.

Can’t wait to crack vb truth. Hopefully grabbing a second.

I arrived around 5:15 Sunday evening, still pretty busy. Grabbed a pour of wanderer. I didn’t see one non hazy beer. Of course I love hazies as well, and TH does them better than any, so it makes sense, but their “classics” don’t seem to get enough love (outside of this forum)

VodkaPong87 and hops_for_thought like this.
  8. Arminius757

Arminius757 Initiate (178) Aug 29, 2014 Connecticut
    Trader

Honest question, where does a Double stop and a Triple start? What is the difference between Double/Triple and an Imperial? Even as a homebrewer, I dont understand where the distinction starts and stops. I would argue that just because they havent called any of their beers triple or quadruple IPA, they could probably be classified as one... is it strictly ABV at this point? Or does hoping rate count? At what point does it just become some type of juicy American barley wine.... (I hate myself for even considering that style name...)

These are the questions that keep me up at night....

Rug, ColdOne, SABERG and 2 others like this.
  9. Mgh2001

Trader

I think it’s strictly abv, anything over 10%. Hop rate doesn’t really matter (imo)

hops_for_thought likes this.
  10. hops_for_thought

hops_for_thought Crusader (703) Jun 14, 2013 New York
    Trader

By no means an expert, but agree w/ the abv definition. Feel like I’ve seen a few brews in the mid-9s listed as triples but for the most part I think of 10% as the cutoff (the assayer by R+B comes to mind - batch one was 10%; rebrews were in the 9s but listed as triples also)

Abv for imperial IPA I find confusing - 7.6% to 10.6% is quite the range

https://www.craftbeer.com/beer/beer-styles-guide#imperial-india-pale-ale

Mgh2001 likes this.
  11. VodkaPong87

VodkaPong87 Initiate (166) Oct 9, 2020 Connecticut
    Trader

ABV and taste are the measurements to me. Anything above 9% I classify as a TIPA even if the label says otherwise. Above 9% they become overly sweet and unbalanced. There's no real flavor profile and they all taste the same for me.

However, you don't generally see too many 9% beers, so the line is usually 10% for the label to say TIPA

Mgh2001 likes this.
  12. Jbrews

I totally realized I mis read that your question was for Deerfield. However we have been there a few times. Equally as kid friendly and almost a more office dining atrium vibe as well as plenty of outdoor space. So no issue.

The pizza is good but I might suggest two for 3 people size wise. It’s not that big.

Also important is to watch the website as you may need to purchase reservation tickets the day of starting around 9:30. Not sure if that has changed yet but they will also have more folks coming with summer here so less walk in chances.

Charlton does NOT require reservations.

Cape Cod location does require them and they may go very fast. But that site in incredible for the view and you’re literally on the beach.. Much smaller draft list is the only trade off.

Feel free to message me if you have any other questions.

underoath437 and shkin like this.
  13. Mgh2001

Trader

Yeah, I’d be fine defining 9.1% abv and above as a tipa. Project find the limit 10 is at 9%, to me, it drinks like an extremely hop forward double

14. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (2,051) Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

It would work great, especially if weather is nice. Tons of room outside.

A pizza is good for 2 people with a slice or two left over. May be fine for 3 people depending on how hungry everyone is. The pizza is good.

Currently you still need to buy draft reservations which open up for the day each morning. They have been available at the entrance for most of my visits.

You can get more than one beer at a time if you have the tickets, but each purchase they mark your bracelet. Each person allowed 3 total tickets/bracelet marks.

I’ve been 4 times and there was only a noticeable line once. The time with a line was on a day they had an onsite concert. Wait was still only 10-15 minutes on that visit.

Trull, shkin and Jbrews like this.
  15. Jcorn

Jcorn Disciple (393) Jun 17, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Got a chuckle out of "fury animals". Even as a typo sounds like that was an apt description.

16. Jbrews

Very apt typo indeed!

But also had just listened to something about Fury of Five so most likely where that came from ha!

17. shkin

Thanks for the detailed answers @Jbrews and @jhavs! Now I just need to wait 6 weeks for the trip.

mvogt and jhavs like this.
  18. Rug

Rug Poo-Bah (1,881) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I too would love to see this! Could you link the one you're referring to?

jmerizio and ColdOne like this.
  19. ColdOne

ColdOne Aspirant (269) Jan 19, 2013 New York
    Trader

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/tree-house-brewing-company-2019.601382/

Family history: (from @likeadabeerlikeadabeer )

Julius Family:

Julius - Flagship IPA
    Jjjuliusss - Extra kettle/dry hopped Julius
    King Julius - DIPA version of Julius
    King Jjjuliusss - Extra kettle/dry hopped King Julius
    Alter Ego - Julius base w/ Mosaic and Amarillo in the dry hop
    Aaalterrr Ego - Extra kettle/dry hopped Alter Ego
    Doppelganger - DIPA version of Alter Ego
    Doubleganger - Extra kettle/dry hopped Doppelganger

Green Family:

Green - IPA with ‘mostly’ Galaxy hops
    Gggreennn - Extra kettle/dry hopped Green
    Very Green - DIPA version of Green
    Very Gggreennn - Extra kettle/dry hopped Very Green

Haze Family:

Haze - Flagship DIPA
    Very Hazy - Imperial version of Haze

Sap Family:

Sap - IPA featuring Chinook hops
    Sssappp - Extra kettle/dry hopped Sap
    Super Sap - DIPA version of Sap

Eureka Family:

Flagship hoppy blond ale featuring the following single hop varieties:
    Citra (most often)
    Mosaic
    Galaxy
    Nelson

Bright Family:

Flagship DIPA featuring an American ale yeast vs. traditional house and featuring the following single hop varieties:
    Mosaic (most often)
    Citra
    Nelson
    Simcoe/Amarillo
    Galaxy
    Centennial
    Bbbrighttt - Extra kettle/dry hopped Bright (and variants)
    Baby Bright - Single IPA version of Bright

The Weather Family:

Tornado - APA featuring Simcoe and Citra hops
    Hurricane - DIPA version of Tornado
    Super Typhoon - Extra kettle/dry hopped Hurricane
    Perfect Storm - Extra kettle/dry hopped Super Typhoon

The APA family:

Lights On - APA featuring Mosaic hops
    Lights Out - APA featuring Citra hops
    Pride and Purpose - APA featuring Galaxy hops
    East Hill - APA featuring Simcoe/Citra/Galaxy hops
    Present Moment - APA featuring Southern Hemisphere hops

bootdown21, sulldaddy, shkin and 11 others like this.
  20. Ryanwithacomb

Ryanwithacomb Initiate (33) Jan 22, 2018 Massachusetts

Saw a picture on Facebook that Julius will be available at the US Open this weekend alongside Congress street. $12 a can, which somehow doesn't sound as unreasonable as I would expect?

rightcoast7 and VodkaPong87 like this.
  21. Rug

Rug Poo-Bah (1,881) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Thank you!! I might be able to chip away at a few of the many new entries when I have some free time

jmerizio and ColdOne like this.
  22. ColdOne

Trader

Rug! Rug! Rug!

Rug likes this.
  23. VodkaPong87

Trader

This is because we are sick

24. Jbrews

It’s just Nate’s attempt to enter the golf course game early given the Tewks spot

VodkaPong87 likes this.
  25. VodkaPong87

Trader

2024 inaugural Tree House Open

Rug, Piels25 and Jbrews like this.
  26. Mgh2001

Trader

Damnit, I wanted to grab another vb truth. Might crack the bottle I have, tonight.

27. VodkaPong87

Trader

Someone at work just brought in Ultimate Machine and Rainbow for me. You just can't get those kinds of perks working from home

bootdown21 and fdonnelly like this.
  28. Piels25

Piels25 Aspirant (236) Dec 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Very reasonable. Any insight as to where to find these at the course? Asking for a friend who will be there for Round 1 tomorrow....

29. Ryanwithacomb

Ryanwithacomb Initiate (33) Jan 22, 2018 Massachusetts

No clue, but the poster seemed like it'd be at any standard beer kiosk.

30. Mgh2001

Trader

The current stock of glassware (at charlton) is pretty great right now. Julius, Haze, and Green Willi Belchers, along with the 10th anniversary tulips and a few lager glasses on top of the usual

31. Rysk22

Rysk22 Zealot (544) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

A friend who will be there for round 2 would love to know if you find it

Piels25 and mrmattosgood like this.
  32. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Aspirant (272) Nov 6, 2010 Canada (BC)
    Trader

A friend who just sat courtside for two NBA Finals games and drank Miller Lite both is jealous of the Julius #JoftheJ #humblebrag

Rysk22 likes this.
  33. Mgh2001

Trader

The Big One - Their first canned Triple IPA. 9.4% abv

hops_for_thought likes this.
  34. mlm61

mlm61 Initiate (111) Jun 16, 2016 Connecticut
    Trader

And there it is, the First Triple IPA from Tree House, "The Big One"[​IMG]

Rug, Arminius757 and ColdOne like this.
  35. William_Navidson

William_Navidson Disciple (323) May 1, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Trader

This thread willed it into existence. I'm impressed/scared.

Rug, Arminius757, Sheppard and 3 others like this.
  36. yohjiman

yohjiman Initiate (27) Dec 6, 2021 Connecticut
    Trader

wow lmao, definitely gonna have to give that a try. although I’m honestly pretty surprised, I didn’t think they’d deviate from their almost perfected DIPA formula and I figured that was on purpose

37. VodkaPong87

Trader

CURSES! Why did I have to do that?

There's too many options to take a risk on a style I know I don't like. I doubt it will be there in two weeks, but I will be passing on it. Too bad King Creamsicle will be gone by then, too. I want to try it, but also want to grab one for a friend who loved it

Rug, Arminius757 and Mgh2001 like this.
  38. ColdOne

Trader

Well, I might as well give this a go:

Sure would be interesting to see some classic west coast IPAs from TH....

dele likes this.
  39. VodkaPong87

Trader

The fact that they've avoided brewing Good Morning for this long is astounding

Rug, Arminius757, Jbrews and 2 others like this.
  40. Mgh2001

Trader

Would love to see fresh good morning mixed with a little bit of ba double shot