Tree House Brewing (2022)

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by Greyvtrayn, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Stormfield

Stormfield Aspirant (223) Feb 21, 2011 Massachusetts

You may be surprised to learn that people aren't allowed to leave their children at home in a cage, kennel or crate.

VodkaPong87, MattOC and dubdrop like this.
  2. dubdrop

dubdrop Disciple (329) Aug 6, 2012 Vermont
    Trader

Last I checked people don't have (actual) allergies to children :wink: I know dogs & kids at breweries has been discussed to death, and I can get past the fact that on a wet day Chartlon used to smell like a kennel. What I could never get over, is having to leave/go out to the cold so my wife could breathe at the brewery. I know she's the exception, not the norm, but there's reasonable accommodations for people with wheelchairs, why not all disabilities? Regardless, it's nice to know that won't be a problem in Deerfield.

We didn't have time for anything other than curbside since we had a 2.5hr drive back to northern vt. Plus, I didn't want to have a dipa or imperial stout and then drive a long distance. Not sure if it was simply day 1 of draft and people just didn't know yet, but seemed like not a ton of people there. We could have purchased tickets on the spot and gone in if we wanted.

MattOC likes this.
  3. Mgh2001

Mgh2001 Initiate (24) Dec 3, 2021
    Trader

Lol

Let me be clear, I’m not laughing at your wife’s allergies. I’m sorry to hear that it effects her so much.

I’m laughing at the small percentage of people that genuinely have a dislike when dogs are allowed at breweries. That said, to each their own, I respect it, but still find it funny. I guess I’m not bothered by much, kids certainly don’t bother me, I don’t have any, but am not bothered when they’re at breweries, acting like kids.

#43 Mgh2001, Jan 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
    jaysker95, Rug and William_Navidson like this.
  4. Jbrews

Jbrews Disciple (333) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

Love both dogs and kids. I am fine with not having dogs. Seen more than one dog be aggressive at a few breweries over the years.

On the flip side I have no issue with a brewery being 21+ if they chose to. I don’t feel I need to bring my 6 year old daughter to a brewery often. I try to limit it to very little at most. I’m fine with what other people do but I do try to spend my time with her in other ways. I signed up to be a parent. Which in the end is less time at bars and breweries as well as my real passions surfing or skating. When parents are there with kids and I’m not I do try to be compassionate and understanding and help with giving up a table or spot since I know it can be stressful getting settled.

Realistically just make sure the pup is at least leashed and chilling. If they are not friendly keep them home. Children will approach a dog like a stuffed animal in a split second even with parents watching. And as for kids, we know it’s not a playground so just try to keep them behaved and watch the signs for when they don’t want to be there anymore or at all. Sometimes it sucks but so does life at certain times. Not much more can be said. All can make our own choices.

Live up those easy teen years and college years folks! I kid I kid

#44 Jbrews, Jan 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
  5. Stormfield

This is the most reasonable, well-thought-out post I've read on BA in weeks. I think someone may have hacked Sweatshirt's account.

I'm not thrilled with children at breweries. When I was a kid, my dad didn't bring me to a the bar to watch guys swill Budweiser, so I wouldn't bring mine to a brewery to watch me gulp IPAs. That's just me. But maybe times have changed. Just look at Bissell Brothers during the summer months. I'm surprised they don't have a swing-set and jungle gym yet. And any problems we have with poorly behaved children and dogs are clearly the responsibilities of the owners and parents, respectively.

And my last point on dogs: I've seen more than a few quivering, tails between their legs because they just can't handle the stress of being in a large crowd. It's sad to see.

OK I'm done.

kuntmissioner, pbrian and Sheppard like this.
  6. wehaveamap

wehaveamap Initiate (196) Jan 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

That's a bummer about extreme allergies and definitely sucks.

I think dogs at breweries are a context sensitive thing. Canton Trillium's inside felt too small for it, and it made a ton of sense when Bissell changed their stance from yes to no given how absurdly crowded it can get inside. Charlton is so huge I've got no problem with it (and have brought my own dog there fwiw). Similarly, Notch Salem allowing them out but not inside feels right for the space. So ultimately, I feel like if there's the room to allow dogs without them being up in other people's space, I'm all for it. And good dog owners know how much space is needed for that to hold true for their dog.

I feel similarly about people bringing kids - Tree House is legitimately more or less a park at this point, if people want to bring the whole family I couldn't care less. It feels basically no different to me than kids at restaurants, in that parents should and generally do know which are reasonable to have children at and at which their presence is problematic. And the places that have a real dive bar/pub vibe (where kids probably shouldn't be) are so far and few between at this point that it's rarely an issue, imo.

Stormfield likes this.
  7. dubdrop

dubdrop Disciple (329) Aug 6, 2012 Vermont
    Trader

Fwiw, I have no problem with dogs at breweries and I generally like dogs. I just think they should stay outside at breweries, especially ones with tons of space for them to play. Kids I have zero issue with if parents are attentive and drinking responsibly.

I’m probably much more sensitive to this stuff since my wife has a debilitating illness (severe allergies & asthma). But I know there are many people who suffer like she does to a lesser degree. It’s unfortunate that someone’s need to have their dog with them indoors at a brewery trumps the safety of others, but ultimately it’s up to the business to make that decision. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter since Deerfield is closer to us and if we go to Charlton it’ll be when it’s warmer and and we can enjoy drinks outdoors.

Sheppard and hops_for_thought like this.
  8. Rug

Rug Poo-Bah (1,687) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

So the owners of the children and the parents of the dogs? :wink:

Stormfield likes this.
  9. agreenman19

agreenman19 Poo-Bah (2,035) Apr 10, 2011 Connecticut
    Society Trader

I have a pretty severe dog allergy as well and it sucks even waiting in line to pick up cans. Once I hit the half hour mark is when I start getting miserable and stuffy. Say goodbye to any draft pours as well because I can't taste anything.

Even if I wasn't allergic, there's nothing enjoyable about the shrill, piercing barks and constant cacophony of howling mixed in with the wet dog smell. That's not ever appealing, and it's even less so when consuming beer and food. It's so weird to me that breweries have become this bastion of dog's rights.

dubdrop and Sheppard like this.
  10. Stormfield

:crazy_face: - sure, why not.

Rug likes this.
  11. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Aspirant (292) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

You know what really gets me going....Fish at a brewery. My daughter has got soaking wet in both Monson and Charlton harassing the koi fish. When will this scaled nightmare end!

Rug, Ryanwithacomb, lic217 and 4 others like this.
  12. another_beer_in_the_wall

another_beer_in_the_wall Initiate (189) Jun 9, 2019 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Just wait until they release FFFish Project Fish + Fish.

Rug likes this.
  13. VodkaPong87

VodkaPong87 Initiate (139) Oct 9, 2020 Connecticut
    Trader

Wet hopped with caviar

Rug likes this.
  14. agreenman19

Society Trader

This latest batch is bonkers. I don't ever remember it tasting like this and I've had many a Sssappp.

15. William_Navidson

William_Navidson Disciple (316) May 1, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Sorry to distract from the dog/fish/children debates, but can anyone comment on the crowds at Deerfield?... comparable to Charlton? Much more crowded?

16. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Disciple (306) Feb 17, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

It's ok. Technically @agreenman19 started it.
    I haven't been but, someone earlier commented that they picked up at Deerfield when it was their on-site opening day and said it seemed very low-key. I would be shocked if it was remotely close to a busy Charlton experience at this time.

William_Navidson and SABERG like this.
  17. agreenman19

Society Trader

Damn! Arrived a day late and still getting thrown under the bus! It's fine, someone's gotta take the blame for these famous TH thread derailments.

Rug, William_Navidson and Greyvtrayn like this.
  18. William_Navidson

Trader

Wow — the new Deerfield location is well-organized, humongous, and everything from the pizza to beer is very tasty. I shouldn’t be surprised, but I’d have a difficult time choosing between here and Charlton next time I make a trip up north. The “Willy Wonka factory” vibe they evokes in social media posts is apt.

19. redbill

redbill Initiate (23) Nov 29, 2018 Massachusetts

Charlton was giving away a free glass today with can purchases (not sure if there was a minimum purchase $$$)

20. Rysk22

Rysk22 Zealot (538) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

They make pizza in house?

21. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (3,111) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire
    Society

Love the selection they have currently. Mostly hoppy beers of course, but plenty of other options.

It's like the opposite of Notch or Schilling, where they focus on lagers and Belgian style beers, but have a side project for the people who don't like those styles.

Tree House focuses on the haze bois but they have plenty of options if you enjoy lagers. I actually really enjoy their house lager, though it's far too expensive. They don't do lagers like Notch; not even close. But they're all solid from what I've had. Hopefully they keep moving forward and improving.

VodkaPong87, Rug and shkin like this.
  22. William_Navidson

Trader

Yup, and I thought it was very good.

Rysk22 likes this.
  23. Dmbphoenix

Dmbphoenix Disciple (376) May 17, 2012 New York
    Trader

So quick question, I can order a draft ticket for Deerfield 2.5 hrs before opening.

Is that before the 2pm that doors open or 10 that pick ups start???? Tia

24. William_Navidson

Trader

You can begin making a reservation at 11:30am.

Dmbphoenix likes this.
  25. SenorQuesadilla

SenorQuesadilla Initiate (81) Jul 18, 2014 Connecticut
    Trader

This was the Hunter trip? If so, how was that?

26. William_Navidson

Trader

Highly recommend it for anyone else who is incredibly cooped up in their work-from-home situation in Philly and looking for a solid day-trip.

In all seriousness, it was very do-able. I got in about 5 hours of skiing, and was able to relax at Treehouse Deerfield. The pizza was delicious. I don't have much critical to add, but am happy to answer questions.

#66 William_Navidson, Jan 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  27. SenorQuesadilla

SenorQuesadilla Initiate (81) Jul 18, 2014 Connecticut
    Trader

Nice, how’d you like the new skis?

William_Navidson likes this.
  28. William_Navidson

Trader

Loved them. Had been on Volkl Dogens for a while and transitioned to K2 Mindbenders. Wanted something flexible that could handle both gross New England iciness and the occasional trip west.

Probably wouldn't visit Hunter again, but it was fine given the conditions.

SenorQuesadilla likes this.
  29. pbrian

pbrian Crusader (737) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

What dimension Mindbenders did you get? I have Blizzard Brahma's which are 88 underfoot and find them to be an awesome pair of all around rippers. If I'm out west in deep powder I'll gladly splurge and demo something 100+ that's more appropriate for the conditions.

Glad your day trip was successful! Kudos to you for taking it on, that's a long day!

William_Navidson likes this.
  30. William_Navidson

Trader

Thanks! 127 / 90 / 113mm. I was recommended Brahmas as well, definitely similar in that respect.

pbrian likes this.
  31. Dmbphoenix

Dmbphoenix Disciple (376) May 17, 2012 New York
    Trader

currently at Jiminy Peak. We booked this a while back and hadn’t been skiing since Jay Peak, weeks before Covid.

and hadnt been to treehouse in a few years. So glad I checked and found Dalton an hour away. I screwed up reserving a pour but only really wanted it for pizza for my son (tried an hour later than I could have) but in hindsight, it was fine since the extreme cold gave my truck a tough time starting up and we’d have arrived late anyway.

glad I read this thread. Came home w 2 cases of several IPAs, Memphis Flash, and some of the quad shot cans and bottles.

Huge major shout out to the manager at Dalton. I was there picking up 3 orders and I’d just driven from Jiminy about 1hr 15min away and forgot my damn ID in my ski pants. And rules are rules. Don’t forget your ID. Thankfully my teen son suggested I Facetime Mom with my ID. Brilliant!

We just finished Free to Roam, Snow(in hopes of 6 inches here by morning) and Quad Shot Cinnamon cookie w wifey.

32. robo55

robo55 Initiate (64) Oct 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Wow, stutter Julius (12/21) is not good, at all! Like drain pour bad and this is the second one I’ve tried. How the hell did this get past QC? I’ve tasted this before home brewing and it’s when a batch has been infected.

33. robo55

Trader

Just drain poured that can and opened a Julius (1/5). This is what it’s supposed to taste like, but amplified!

34. nesarebad

nesarebad Zealot (515) Feb 4, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

Post a picture, was it oxidized? Highly doubt its an infection.

Rug likes this.
  35. robo55

Trader

What do you want a picture of? The beer in a glass? I poured a little into a glass because I’ve seen what an infection can do to a beers look and it looked fine. It tastes horrible though. If you really want a picture, let me know what of and I’ll happily oblige.

36. robo55

Trader

I’ll even go this far - if you’re in the general Boston area, I’ll give you a can. Only thing I ask is for your honest opinion after drinking it. I’m pretty sure I have two cans left.

37. JonnyJuicebox

JonnyJuicebox Initiate (148) Jun 3, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Gotta say, I haven't been to Treehouse since before COVID, but i remember a lot of their offerings losing that truly unique bubblegummy yeast flavor that made me love them in the first place. I was just by chance driving within 20 minutes of Charlton and decided to grab a bunch of beer...and I was real bummed after trying Green. Doesn't seem anything like the beer I remember.

And I know time does funny things to memories and I was starting to believe that maybe there's just been too many new beers I've had since the monson days and all the copycats finally caught up, or did something better.

But now I'm having a can of Very Hazy. And I'm pretty sure my memory is correct. This is fucking 10/10.

bootdown21, zirconium and MattInBklyn like this.
  38. Sheppard

Sheppard Poo-Bah (2,167) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Your experience with TH kind of aligns with my experience from my November trip. Some of the stuff was bonkers (JJJ Citra + Citra). Other stuff was highly inconsistent and really lacking in the yeast character that I go to TH for. It must be really hard to wrangle that character. It seems like some cans within a four pack will be brilliant and others some of the worst beers you will have. I like their yeast character, it's distinct and few have tried to emulate it (and/or done it well). That's what I go to TH for.

The inconsistency, having to drive to them, and the cost (both in terms of case min and price) is why I seldom go. I'm not surprised at all by @robo55's experience.

SABERG likes this.
  39. JonnyJuicebox

JonnyJuicebox Initiate (148) Jun 3, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Yeah well said, this is more or less exactly how feel too. A part of me was very excited to see King Julius, Very Hazy AND Juice Machine all available at the same time, without crazy limits. Like, imagine that 4-5 years ago? I know my priorities have shifted greatly in life since the days of waiting in line for a growler of ONE of those beers, but at least at the end of the day I had a beer that was beyond unique. Nothing tasted like Treehouse back in the day.

But these days? Just ain't worth the trek from Boston anymore. Although stupidly expensive, the Equilibrium beers I've had remind me more of Treehouse than this can of Julius I'm drinking right now. Not that this Julius is bad by any means but there is nothing differentiating it from me from stuff currently at my local packie. I'm not a freshness snob, but it's also already 18 days old.

I've been very happy just grabbing four packs of post shift and/or whatever fresh IPA from Lamplighter is out. as a matter of fact their last batch of major tom was one of the best IPA's I've ever consumed

SABERG likes this.
  40. nesarebad

nesarebad Zealot (515) Feb 4, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

I am in the Boston area but that is ok. I have had QC issues with Treehouse and they have always been oxidation. I have been one to point these out in the past, so I am no huge defender, though they generally put out a quality product.

Rug likes this.